Kamchatka Volcano Eruption to Continu...

Kamchatka Volcano Eruption to Continue for At Least 2 Weeks

There are 1 comment on the RIA Novosti story from Dec 18, 2012, titled Kamchatka Volcano Eruption to Continue for At Least 2 Weeks. In it, RIA Novosti reports that:

KAMCHATSKY, December 19 The eruption of the Plosky Tolbachik volcano in Russia's Far Eastern Kamchatka Peninsula will continue for at least two more weeks, a leading scientist told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at RIA Novosti.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Dec 19, 2012
The current eruption appears to be relatively gas poor & rather voluminous.

The magma filled fracture being erupted this time appears to be beig forced by tectonic squeeze rather than by entrained magmatic gas as the initial outbreak was.

Appears that a fair quantity of the magma is likely the same tholeiite (degassed) that was initially emplaced during the initial 1975 event, and has been sitting @ depth in a dike created by the 1975 event.

The current tectonic squeeze in is probably a hybrid event erupting both current tholeiite (the gassy bit) and the 1975 tholeiite which makes up a lot of the volume through the still warm tectonically recompressing 1975 fissure.

Impressive lava volume though.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Volcanic Eruption Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New volcano pictures show lava pond in Puu Oo C... May '16 Joe Balls 2
Mt St. Helens May '16 warren 1
News How a newspaper article triggered EPF flash str... Apr '16 10 Million 1
News Was the rise of the Roman Empire helped by VOLC... Apr '16 play 1
News Five times humanity was almost wiped out Apr '16 play 1
News Nevada is home to an abundance of natural hot s... Apr '16 play 1
News Alaska volcano calming after eruption; alert do... Apr '16 Jaimie 16
More from around the web