Skeptical handcuffed son shot himself...

Skeptical handcuffed son shot himself, grieving mother files civil rights lawsuit

There are 20 comments on the Final Call story from Aug 15, 2013, titled Skeptical handcuffed son shot himself, grieving mother files civil rights lawsuit. In it, Final Call reports that:

The mother of a young, Black man fatally shot while handcuffed in the back seat of a police cruiser has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against two Jonesboro Arkansas police officers, their chief, and the city.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Final Call.

United States

#1 Aug 15, 2013
its odd that ms carter is so concerned about her son now!! where was she when he was running the streets selling drugs and being a thug? he even had a gun on him.it was later reported he had stolen it prior to getting stopped by police.but that tells me that he knew his way around the criminals, actually i think ms carter has seen how much sebrena fulton raked in over her thug kid and ms carter wants her piece of the pie too. why dont these people teach their kids that crime doesn't pay? why dont they teach them to make an honest living and stay off the streets? live like a thug get taken out like a thug.

Jonesboro, AR

#2 Aug 15, 2013
It's a racial shakedown. We only see more of it since Obama and his race hustlers have been stoking the racial embers for the past four years. And oh yes, it's about money.

Jonesboro, AR

#3 Aug 15, 2013
If she loses this lawsuit Jesse Jackson will boycott us like he did Florida. That will be the best thing Chavis Carter ever did for humanity.

Ridgedale, MO

#4 Aug 15, 2013
She'll win if it goes to trial because it's almost inconceivable that someone can shoot himself in the head while handcuffed behind his back.

Plus, the police botched the investigation. This matter could have been laid to rest had gunshot residue been found on the boy's hands. The crime lab claims they didn't test for gsr. Yeah, right.

Also, the police are responsible for people they have in custody. They were at least negligent in not finding the gun after searching him a number of times.

Look for the city to settle out of court for a large sum of money, which they should do because they will lose more if the case goes to trial.

The people of Jonesboro will end up picking up the tab. Maybe they need to think about that next time they vote for Mayor, making sure the candidates specify who they will appoint to head up the JPD.

Jonesboro, AR

#5 Aug 15, 2013
guest wrote:
She'll win if it goes to trial because it's almost inconceivable that someone can shoot himself in the head while handcuffed behind his back.

Plus, the police botched the investigation. This matter could have been laid to rest had gunshot residue been found on the boy's hands. The crime lab claims they didn't test for gsr. Yeah, right.

Also, the police are responsible for people they have in custody. They were at least negligent in not finding the gun after searching him a number of times.

Look for the city to settle out of court for a large sum of money, which they should do because they will lose more if the case goes to trial.

The people of Jonesboro will end up picking up the tab. Maybe they need to think about that next time they vote for Mayor, making sure the candidates specify who they will appoint to head up the JPD.

You are full of BS.

Council Bluffs, IA

#6 Aug 15, 2013
guest wrote:
Maybe the next time the cop will just drive away and dump the body on the north side of town where no explanation is necessary. If the city has to pick up any tabs, we can just close down a program designed to benefit minorities and blame it on this dumb broad.
Yep

Caraway, AR

#7 Aug 15, 2013
It is all too posible, for a person in cuffs behind their back, to move their hands to the front of their body, if they are limber enough. I've seen it, so I know it CAN happen. Anyone who says otherwise, doesn't know what they are talking about.,
fifty1fifty

United States

#8 Aug 15, 2013
Yep wrote:
It is all too posible, for a person in cuffs behind their back, to move their hands to the front of their body, if they are limber enough. I've seen it, so I know it CAN happen. Anyone who says otherwise, doesn't know what they are talking about.,
Then after they shoot theyself in the head they can put their hands back behind their back too maybe?

Jonesboro, AR

#9 Aug 15, 2013
I hope the family wins and the city pays tons. Morons.

Council Bluffs, IA

#10 Aug 15, 2013
I don't think the city will pay a dime, bit if they do, I fully support making up the money by shuttering all city programs designed to help the poor. One porch monkey gets rich, the rest get cut off. His mother is at fault for his death. She knew his whereabouts and knew he was wanted. That's aiding and abetting. Look for charges to be presses against her for her crimes.

Jonesboro, AR

#11 Aug 15, 2013
Charges should be "presses" against you for your retarded small brained comments and total lack of knowledge of the English language. Go back to school moron.
Not a Pickaninny

Jonesboro, AR

#12 Aug 15, 2013
Whose to say he was not going to try and shoot the officer and accidentally shot himself. I think this lawsuit is ridiculous.
ummm

United States

#13 Aug 16, 2013
shes just doing it for the money...she sure didnt care anything about him when he was doing meth and stealing guns did she???? she saw how much $ebrena fulton got off her dead thug and she wants the same kind of cash...i think people around here are smarter than that.

Council Bluffs, IA

#14 Aug 16, 2013
Guest wrote:
Charges should be "presses" against you for your retarded small brained comments and total lack of knowledge of the English language. Go back to school moron.
Truth stings doesn't it yard ape?

Council Bluffs, IA

#15 Aug 16, 2013
guest wrote:
its odd that ms carter is so concerned about her son now!! where was she when he was running the streets selling drugs and being a thug? he even had a gun on him.it was later reported he had stolen it prior to getting stopped by police.but that tells me that he knew his way around the criminals, actually i think ms carter has seen how much sebrena fulton raked in over her thug kid and ms carter wants her piece of the pie too. why dont these people teach their kids that crime doesn't pay? why dont they teach them to make an honest living and stay off the streets? live like a thug get taken out like a thug.
Ms Carter? As if she actually gas the same last name as her bastard? I'm sure she cared about him while GBE check was coming in. She's using his suicide to get one last check. I think if she brings this lawsuit we should show them what a white race riot look like. No two bricks on top of one another and no creature left alive in the hood. Make the LA riots look like a rowdy game of grab ass.
chico

United States

#17 Aug 17, 2013
i dont this this "baby mammy" will get anything off her thug.im sure she is going to try,and since she doesnt work she has all day to sit on the computer and try to find supporters. but in the end i think the city will tell her to pack up her dred locks and head back to her ghetto.

Jonesboro, AR

#18 Aug 17, 2013
F'ing idiots. its so strange how you are all so obsessed with "thugs" and black people. and its mostly the same people commenting on the same topic. get a life
white man

Jonesboro, AR

#19 Aug 17, 2013
I have known many fine black people all my life. There are TRASH of All races. Dr. Gilliam is one of the finest surgeons in our nation and we are surely blessed by his presence here. I and many of my friends have trusted him with our lives. Blood IS the SAME color. We should judge ACTIONS, not race.
Regulator

Manassas, VA

#20 Aug 17, 2013
. Blood IS the SAME color.

same can be said for rattlesnakes skunks rats monkeys!!

Council Bluffs, IA

#21 Aug 17, 2013
white man wrote:
I have known many fine black people all my life. There are TRASH of All races. Dr. Gilliam is one of the finest surgeons in our nation and we are surely blessed by his presence here. I and many of my friends have trusted him with our lives. Blood IS the SAME color. We should judge ACTIONS, not race.
Absolutely and Chavis Carter's actions suggested he deserved what he got. His mother's actions suggest she deserves what he got to. Charges should be brought against her for aiding a fugitive from justice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tiffany Long Part IV: Dorthia Bynum speaks (Oct '08) 5 hr Liszym 10
News Charlotte strip club loses ABC license for hist... 5 hr Good Riddance 4
News 18-year-old accused in deadly southeast Missour... 11 hr Trailer park 5
NBI PHILIPPINES - http://nbi.gov.ph (Nov '07) 21 hr margaritte 227
News Alleged murderer and victim did not know each o... (Aug '09) Sat Tolerman 33
News Brandon Cochran of Rochester charged in two hom... (Sep '10) Dec 2 KNOWOFYOURBUSSINESS 24
News Suspects arraigned in Lowell murder (Sep '09) Dec 2 Truth 91
More from around the web