Fayetteville Attorney To Face Accessory Charge In Connection With New ...

Jan 2, 2014 Full story: WCHS-TV Charleston 62

Charleston police said they are charging a Fayetteville attorney with being an accessory in connection with a New Year's Day downtown shooting in the capital city.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
curious

Oak Hill, WV

#1 Jan 2, 2014
wonder how it is that Mr. Underwood has been in the news the last couple of days but we are just now finding out that Mr. Conrad is involved? money talks.
cackling hen

Ashburn, VA

#2 Jan 2, 2014
All I can say is lmao @ that picture!
joshua

Richmond, VA

#5 Jan 3, 2014
No that's how fayette county is and works.they cheat,& lie dirty
Legal Mojo

West Hamlin, WV

#6 Jan 3, 2014
curious wrote:
wonder how it is that Mr. Underwood has been in the news the last couple of days but we are just now finding out that Mr. Conrad is involved? money talks.
Not saying that money doesn't talk, because it does.....however, in the initial report regarding this matter, the investigators clearly stated that additional arrests could be pending. Within 24 hours of this statement, charges were filed against Conrad. Don't think they were keeping Conrad out of the news, they needed to process the correct legal paper work in order to charge him appropriately, which they did....in under 48 hours from the time of the incident.
Keeping up

Oak Hill, WV

#7 Jan 3, 2014
I'd like to know WHY Conrad is the only "accessory"? Apparently there were several other people there. This Travis character who was supposedly following the direction of Conrad to not call 911 KNOWS for a fact there were already people who called and they were on their way. HE IS ALSO A DOCTOR IN LEWISBURG BY THE WAY!!! AND perfectly capable of making the same decision to stay and help! Had a responsibility EVEN MORE SO! So, he gets off the hook for bashing Conrad? Underwood is a grown man who RAN and drove extremely intoxicated to Beckley, but gets no DUI? And what about the two girls who got into the fight in the first place? Who are they? Did they stick around after gunshots or go to their rooms and wait for the police to come and talk to them just the same as everyone else did? I'd say so.
When you are a lawyer, no matter what a good person you are, you will always have enemies and you will always have someone trying to pin whatever they can on you... Not saying this was the right decision, but if you go after ONE you'd better go after them ALL!

Since when is picking up a cell phone after a fight-where you don't know who shot who- and getting the heck out of there and telling your friends to do the same, a felony????????
observer

Ashburn, VA

#9 Jan 3, 2014
Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
Police said the video shows Underwood still standing with the gun in his hand, while Conrad is telling him to leave. That would seem to indicate that he did know who shot who. As an officer of the court he should know better than to remove things from a crime scene. He also went to his room and refused to tell police the identity of the suspect. Underwood later reported that his attorney told him not to come to Charleston to turn himself In. Could that too have been advice from Conrad? The girls who were fighting were said to be Underwood's wife and the victim's girlfriend. I would say the girlfriend stuck around and the wife fled. Should they be charged with fighting? Maybe- simple misdemeanor. Still doesn't justify a big old guy like Underwood pulling out a gun to stop a fist fight.
Initially, the fight started with Conrad's wife and the victim's girlfriends. I do not believe the news showed that part. It is my understanding that the friends and Mr. Conrad jumped in and the dynamics evolved into the doctor's wife or girlfriend and the victim's wife. My question is, how could there be a misunderstanding over asking for a phone number for a pizza place??? I have trouble believing that is all there is to it.
Argo

Ripley, WV

#16 Jan 3, 2014
Viction From what was on the video "Simple Bystander" makes more sense tgan anything that has been reported. The so called victims g/f clearly started the fight Then the so called victim clearly overreacted. You can see the gun owner drop the gun and pick it up then go out of camera range. CPD is dirty and will take any conviction they can get. Lawyer did nothing wrong. CPD is just mad he wouldnt cooperate. Gun owner will plead this down to notjing and Lawyer will walk. So called victim better be glad it was a low caliber weapon or.his internal organs would have covered the camera lens
Simple bystander

Beckley, WV

#17 Jan 3, 2014
what wrote:
<quoted text>
You are delusional - Underwood stood there just waiting for a fight. Looked like they were all clearing out - the victim appears to be making sure they are leaving - then Underwood starts swinging - but when they go down and the victim is harder to take down than he thinks - he shoots him! How about just - Happy New Year and walk away!
Underwood had 2 buddies with him - a doctor and a lawyer! Why did he have to pull a gun? Never should have happened! You say it was an accident ?
I say BS !! Didn't he get it in the thigh and the shoulder? He obviously shot UP! And was there one shot or two?
Underwood is an idiot! Conrad should have known better. They are lucky the guy didn't die!
What video are you watching cause obviously it is not the real surveillance video..Underwood never drew his gun it fell out of the holster when they hit the floor. Also there was only one shot that hit him pointing down in the shoulder and then went into his leg. Please once again check your facts before running your mouth.
what

Charleston, WV

#18 Jan 3, 2014
Argo wrote:
Viction From what was on the video "Simple Bystander" makes more sense tgan anything that has been reported. The so called victims g/f clearly started the fight Then the so called victim clearly overreacted. You can see the gun owner drop the gun and pick it up then go out of camera range. CPD is dirty and will take any conviction they can get. Lawyer did nothing wrong. CPD is just mad he wouldnt cooperate. Gun owner will plead this down to notjing and Lawyer will walk. So called victim better be glad it was a low caliber weapon or.his internal organs would have covered the camera lens
Agree victim/boyfriend may have overreacted; Underwood shouldn't have a gun if he doesn't know how to safely handle it! He was looking for a fight - looks like he was ready and said something to victim to get him going.
Definitely think the lawyer involvement is being overblown - they were all wanting to get out of there - too bad they didn't do it before the shooting -
Better yet - before the fight! Poor judgement on everyone's part. But - Underwood's especially -- obviously
Wyatt Earp

Saint Albans, WV

#20 Jan 3, 2014
From what I see on the YouTube video Underwood was assaulted, knocked down, kicked, and punched while down. In that situation he should have been in fear of death or great bodily harm. He used deadly force and STOPPED THE THREAT. His mistake in my view was that he should have retreated to safety and called the police.
amos

Oak Hill, WV

#21 Jan 4, 2014
why was Conrad arraigned n Fayette county?
really

Oak Hill, WV

#22 Jan 4, 2014
Wyatt Earp wrote:
From what I see on the YouTube video Underwood was assaulted, knocked down, kicked, and punched while down. In that situation he should have been in fear of death or great bodily harm. He used deadly force and STOPPED THE THREAT. His mistake in my view was that he should have retreated to safety and called the police.
How did you find it on YouTube
Steve

Mount Hope, WV

#23 Jan 4, 2014
Simple bystander wrote:
<quoted text>
What video are you watching cause obviously it is not the real surveillance video..Underwood never drew his gun it fell out of the holster when they hit the floor. Also there was only one shot that hit him pointing down in the shoulder and then went into his leg. Please once again check your facts before running your mouth.
Wrong. Underwood intentionally and you can clearly see it at 1:04 on the video posted on Metro News. At 1:06 he gets the gun knocked out of his hand.
Steve

Mount Hope, WV

#25 Jan 4, 2014
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Underwood intentionally and you can clearly see it at 1:04 on the video posted on Metro News. At 1:06 he gets the gun knocked out of his hand.
I meant to write, "Underwood intentionally pulled the gun and you can..."
Wyatt Earp

Saint Albans, WV

#26 Jan 4, 2014
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>This is completely incorrect. You can see at :36 Underwood makes physical contact first with the victim. At that point it turns into a wrestling match (non-life threatening). Underwood then pulls a gun out at 1:04. He drops the gun at 1:06 and then turns around to pick it up at 1:07. At 1:08 you can see that Underwood is standing after picking up the gun. At that point everything else takes place off camera until you see Underwood leaving with the gun in his hand at 1:23.

You can watch the video here: http://wvmetronews.com/2014/01/03/new-years-m...

Pause it at the times I listed and you can clearly see everything syncs up.
Mr Underwood after being assaulted, stood his ground and used deadly force to stop the threat. He should have told the police that he was in fear of his life and stopped the threat. I think he was poorly advised following the incident. I am surprised that the prosecutor has allowed him to be charged and held in custody. What he needs now is a good attorney and a jury.
Anybody know

United States

#27 Jan 4, 2014
Everyone is going to have a different opinion of what they saw on the video. From what I watched on the video, there was a verbal dispute between Conrad and victim's girlfriend. Instead of Conrad and his friends walking away, he continues to argue with her. The victim puts his hand on Conrad's arm, walking him to the door. Underwood is standing by the door and says and does something to the victim to instigate fight. The fight ensues with only two people trying to break it up. Conrad continued to go for the victim as he had his hand in the victim's face pushing it while he was pressed against the wall by Underwood. Then Underwood's girlfriend or wife goes after the victim's girlfriend. After the girls' fight is broke up, Underwood, Conrad, and the victim are still fighting. It is clear, Underwood pulled his gun before going off camera. When the fight continues when Conrad is on the ground, he's grabbing the victim's leg causing his boot to come off. Then Underwood shoots the victim. Conrad gets up and picks up the cell phone and leaves in which in the hallway is pointing for everyone to leave. This all could've been avoided if Conrad and his friends would have left when the verbal altercation started instead of standing there nose to nose with her in a drunken debate of stupidity.
Wyatt Earp

Saint Albans, WV

#29 Jan 4, 2014
Regardless of what Conrad did I see it as Scott assaulted Underwood first. Scott put his hands on Underwoods face. Underwood was holding the door open with his back against the wall. Scott advanced to Underwood and put his hands on him with intent to do bodily harm. Underwood was trying to leave the area before being assaulted by Scott.
Wyatt Earp

Saint Albans, WV

#30 Jan 4, 2014
just wondering

Charleston, WV

#32 Jan 4, 2014
That's not a better video. it skips too much to see everything.
Anybody know

United States

#33 Jan 4, 2014
Conrad is a mandates reporter and was present during the crime where someone was hurt and refused to give "his dear friend's" name because of that friendship. The supposed doctor that was there is a physical therapist. This could've been avoided if Conrad and his friends would've walked away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayfield up for parole for 1985 murder (Mar '09) 54 min the Fear tator 961
Video footage sought in Hillary trial 1 hr rusty 56
Two survive shooting Sunday in King CityTwo sur... (Aug '14) 20 hr Sweetie 2
MSHP: 4 of 7 victims in Texas Co. shootings wer... Sat Guest 1
DA requests hearing in double-homicide case (Aug '08) Sat executioners 9
Anniston man arrested on capital murder charges... Fri pss4557 1
Post a Comment (Feb '10) Feb 26 rockyraj 5
More from around the web