Mifflinburg man now faces third-degree homicide charge

Mar 23, 2011 Full story: Dailyitem.com 13

Seth M. Hornberger claims he was defending himself and a younger friend from an assault when he stabbed a 21-year-old man to death earlier this month, a state police trooper testified Wednesday at a preliminary hearing in Monroe Township.

Full Story
Tim

Lewisburg, PA

#1 Mar 26, 2011
What we'll never know is, it's possible that Seth saved his own life and the 16-year-old's life. It could have very easily been the 21-year-old's name in the paper the next day wanted for homicide. After all, the older man forced his way into the residence.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#2 Mar 26, 2011
Have you been reading the paper. The last story indicated that, although Bingaman allowed Lepley and Hornberger to stay, Martin was allowed to be there. The text sent to Bingaman from Martin said that they were breaking in. This means that the 2 had left and were coming back. Martin had no knowledge Bingaman allowed them access the first time and was trying to keep them out as they weren't allowed in from the past. Martin paid for trying to keep them out with his life.
Tim

Lewisburg, PA

#3 Mar 26, 2011
BigJoe17844 wrote:
Have you been reading the paper. The last story indicated that, although Bingaman allowed Lepley and Hornberger to stay, Martin was allowed to be there. The text sent to Bingaman from Martin said that they were breaking in. This means that the 2 had left and were coming back. Martin had no knowledge Bingaman allowed them access the first time and was trying to keep them out as they weren't allowed in from the past. Martin paid for trying to keep them out with his life.
What if we choose not to believe the text message? Sounds like it was sent as a cover lie just before his violence against the juvenile and his friend. A text message means nothing if it's not the truth.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#4 Mar 26, 2011
How could have he sent the message if he was fighting with the kids. He had his hands on the kid. There's no way. If the kids were kicking in the door, then it is possible to have sent the text prior to the attack. Besides, was it necessary to stab a man in the temple given the fact that it was 2 to 1? Knock his ass out then run, don't kill him. He took a life, he should pay. And not for a mere 5 years.
Tim

Lewisburg, PA

#5 Mar 27, 2011
BigJoe17844 wrote:
How could have he sent the message if he was fighting with the kids. He had his hands on the kid. There's no way. If the kids were kicking in the door, then it is possible to have sent the text prior to the attack. Besides, was it necessary to stab a man in the temple given the fact that it was 2 to 1? Knock his ass out then run, don't kill him. He took a life, he should pay. And not for a mere 5 years.
I agree, he should pay. The whole story is not clear cut. They all could have been arguing for hours and the 21-year-old could have sent a false text to get the two boys in trouble. Maybe the fight was over the text message. The two younger ones may have found out about the text and got upset that they had to leave for nothing. We also don't know what kind of things the 21-year-old said. Did he theaten to kill them, or beat them within an inch of their life? If so, depending on Hornberger's family life and his exposure to violence within the family, he may have taken those threats very seriously. I don't condone killing, but there is an element of self-defense here.
megan

Middleburg, PA

#6 Dec 3, 2011
hey i know you guys commented on this awhile ago when this happened but i am just here to let you know that dont listen to everything the paper says the paper didnt even have the same stories i am alans sister the one who got killed. This just shows you how the justice system works this kid has been out on bail since he killed my brother and i guess its actually a great thing because all he did was get himself in more trouble on monday he has a hearing for cutting his ankle bracelet off... and doing drugs.... and the reason he had no priors is because he just turned 18 seth was kicked out of school for a knife and he had also chased his sister around with one and he had been a little trouble since he was younger he needs to go to a crazy ward hes really nuts... oh yeah and the nite this all happened i heard this kid was doing bath salts we will find out in the end.... hopefully the boy that was there will just tell the truth......

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#7 Dec 7, 2011
Megan, you have my never ending condolences in the lose of Alan. One of Alan's friend's mother and I are friends and so I get info on the case. It is as the info above says. Seth acted with malice and he WILL get his.
Anonymous

Lewisburg, PA

#8 Mar 30, 2012
he just got charged was on the news about 6 mins ago.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#9 Mar 30, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
he just got charged was on the news about 6 mins ago.
I think he means convicted, not charged. He was convicted last night on all four counts.
Justamom

Lewisburg, PA

#10 Mar 31, 2012
I can't imagine the fellings--the horror they are facing--either family. Seth is so young! We can only pray that his changes and he is one day an asset to the community. I feel sorry for his family and I cannot imagine the feelings of the Martin family. Their son is gone forever. At least Hornbergers can visit Seth. Alans mother does not have that opportunity.I feel justice has been done but I truly feel bad for both families and pray for them all--including Seth.
Kid from miff

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA

#11 May 8, 2012
The whole event occured to one reason that 16 year old i know personally and is reoccuring problem in seths life. At one time i gave some remorse for Seth, but he gave into bad habits and allowed this 16 year old kid to convert him into some criminal. The 16 year old was the reason the man attacked. Over alchol and drugs would be my first guess and seth has no room to defend himself any longer he has been known to be violent in starting fights in mifflinburg and he got caught with drugs in his possesion he was offered a chance and blew it.
friend

United States

#12 Dec 22, 2012
Seth is not a bad kid. I believe he defended a 16yr old. Who has heart problems. Id do the same for a friend. From the understanding I have Alan was under the influence of alcohol. I'm sorry he passed an that any of it occurred but Seth has changed he's gone to God an the Bible for help an wants to better himself.an as to him being on drugs marijuana is practically legal an really isn't bad compare it to alcohol once it's alot better an safer for u. Again I'm sorry anything happened

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#13 Jan 20, 2013
friend wrote:
Seth is not a bad kid. I believe he defended a 16yr old. Who has heart problems. Id do the same for a friend. From the understanding I have Alan was under the influence of alcohol. I'm sorry he passed an that any of it occurred but Seth has changed he's gone to God an the Bible for help an wants to better himself.an as to him being on drugs marijuana is practically legal an really isn't bad compare it to alcohol once it's alot better an safer for u. Again I'm sorry anything happened
Alan wasn't on alcohol, he came home from working at a restaurant. Get your fact straight before defending a killer. Also, use proper English.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Locked And Loaded: Thank God These 'Good Guys' ... 2 hr LonePalm 38
Why is Obama Promoting Race Riots in Missouri? 5 hr BoBo 7
Churches to serve as safe spaces after Ferguson... 9 hr stoopidity 1
Santa Ana jury convicts two men of gang-related... (Jul '07) 20 hr Gangster grove 1,116
Washoe Deputy Cleared of Wrongdoing in Shooting (Dec '05) Fri Rena 6
Some Ferguson schools to close next week Fri chimp outs equal ... 1
Two charged in Sunday murder (Dec '09) Fri postal76 13

Violent Crime People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE