Slayings suspect faces feticide charge

Slayings suspect faces feticide charge

There are 33 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Apr 17, 2007, titled Slayings suspect faces feticide charge. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A man accused of killing two people, including a pregnant woman, appeared in Marion Superior Court this morning for his first hearing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
double standard

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Apr 17, 2007
That was probably a less painful death for the fetus than a legal abortion would have been.
Bart

United States

#2 Apr 17, 2007
He should be charged with feticide, but if he was a doctor ripping the baby out of the womb, then it would be ok.
James

Dallas, TX

#3 Apr 17, 2007
Isn't it amazing that in this story the gunman is being charged with killing the baby but yet with an abortion it is just a fetus being killed, a "parasite" in the mother. What's the difference and how is it justified.
bleedsblue

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Apr 17, 2007
Why is it worse for someone other than the mother to kill a baby? Shouldn't a mother be expected to protect her child more than anyone else? Just another example of how misplaced America's priorities have gotten.
double standard

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Apr 17, 2007
there is no difference. Society has given over the right to decide life or death to the whims of a woman.
Aint dat sum shiz

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Apr 17, 2007
Amazing how rampant the moral relativism is...
huh

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Apr 17, 2007
when did the word feticide come about?
Juno

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Apr 17, 2007
I can't even imagine how depraved a person has to be to intentionally shoot a pregnant woman in the stomach multiple times. Reading that the bullets hit the baby in the face and torso was just sickening.
lids

United States

#9 Apr 17, 2007
i agree with just about every comment on here. why is it that abortion isnt concidered murder? that is just beyond me. abortion is wrong in every sence and there are no if ands or but's about it. taking a life is takin a life, no matter how young.
lids

United States

#10 Apr 17, 2007
Juno wrote:
I can't even imagine how depraved a person has to be to intentionally shoot a pregnant woman in the stomach multiple times. Reading that the bullets hit the baby in the face and torso was just sickening.
i agree, very sickening
The Weatherman

Crown Point, IN

#11 Apr 17, 2007
James wrote:
Isn't it amazing that in this story the gunman is being charged with killing the baby but yet with an abortion it is just a fetus being killed, a "parasite" in the mother. What's the difference and how is it justified.
The difference is the Supreme Court held that abortion is a Constitutional right, so right wing politicians have spent the last 25 years trying to find ways to circumvent the ruling. This is just one of many attempts that include forced instruction, forced counseling, forced sonogram viewing, subpoenas of records of Planned Parenthood. All the while, our murder rate skyrockets because our legislature does nothing but debate wedge issues.
Kelly

Bedford, MA

#12 Apr 17, 2007
Abortion is obviously not pleasant, but it is a necessary medical procedure. There is a reason why it is not against the law. Abortions would happen regardless if it were legal, so it is best that we have the option to have the procedure safely. This man chose to shoot a pregnant woman in the stomach and he should be punished for it.
lids

United States

#14 Apr 17, 2007
Kelly wrote:
Abortion is obviously not pleasant, but it is a necessary medical procedure. There is a reason why it is not against the law. Abortions would happen regardless if it were legal, so it is best that we have the option to have the procedure safely. This man chose to shoot a pregnant woman in the stomach and he should be punished for it.
necessary- completely the wrong wording. its never "a necessary procedure" the only time that it would become that is when its a PROVEN rape situation... not just sone girl who can sleep around and then when she gets preg. decides that she shouldnt have to deal with a kid, BS

“Good Enough For Who It's For”

Since: Apr 07

Indianapolis

#16 Apr 17, 2007
This story is about a single pregnant mother of two children living with a drug dealing 'friend'. Why is anyone surprised that something tragic came of this. Also, the person reporting this story should have never used the word 'baby' to describe this unborn child when a form of the word fetus was used earlier in the story. I sometimes feel like I'm reading a high school newspaper. I also wish people would take their blinders off, read and re-read a story and then post.
Just Sayin

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Apr 17, 2007
lids wrote:
i agree with just about every comment on here. why is it that abortion isnt concidered murder? that is just beyond me. abortion is wrong in every sence and there are no if ands or but's about it. taking a life is takin a life, no matter how young.
That's probably part of the reason he's being charged with "feticide" - to make a dent in the abortion issue legally. If a judge allows it, and he is convicted, it will be that much easier to convict an abortion doctor of murder.

The other part of this charge is that the fetus was a "fully developed" seven months along. Abortion is not legal that late in pregnancy, and would probably be considered feticide, as well, if charges were brought in such a case.
PEOPLE CAN BE SO STUPID

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Apr 17, 2007
Juno wrote:
I can't even imagine how depraved a person has to be to intentionally shoot a pregnant woman in the stomach multiple times. Reading that the bullets hit the baby in the face and torso was just sickening.
It takes a sick bastard to shoot a pregnant woman in the stomach. He should get shot in the n*ts, I'm sure they mean as much to him as the baby did to the mother.
Kelly

United States

#19 Apr 17, 2007
lids wrote:
<quoted text>
necessary- completely the wrong wording. its never "a necessary procedure" the only time that it would become that is when its a PROVEN rape situation... not just sone girl who can sleep around and then when she gets preg. decides that she shouldnt have to deal with a kid, BS
Unless you are a woman who has ever faced the decision to have abortion, you have no place to say whether it is necessary or not. There are many other circumstances other than rape that could bring a woman to make that decision.
Downtowner

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Apr 17, 2007
Don't you know that women are "special" people and have "special" rights when they are pregnant. This is the ony time someone can truly "get away with murder" and not be prosecuted for it.
Only in America.
Kelly is full of crap

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Apr 17, 2007
So only women are allowed to have morals, huh?

So by your logic, unless I've ever been faced with the decision of stealing a purse from an old lady and knocking her down, or going hungry, I can't say if it's wrong or not? There are many circumstances that could bring someone to that decision!

Funny how liberals like you cry freedom of speech until a conservative opens their mouth to dissent, and then suddenly they have no place to speak their mind.
Kelly

Bedford, MA

#22 Apr 17, 2007
Kelly is full of crap wrote:
So only women are allowed to have morals, huh?
So by your logic, unless I've ever been faced with the decision of stealing a purse from an old lady and knocking her down, or going hungry, I can't say if it's wrong or not? There are many circumstances that could bring someone to that decision!
Funny how liberals like you cry freedom of speech until a conservative opens their mouth to dissent, and then suddenly they have no place to speak their mind.
Geez, calm down...it is MY OPINION that a woman who decides to have an abortion is making a very personal decision and there are many things that could bring her to make that decision whether it be right or wrong in YOUR mind. Abortion is still legal the last time I checked.

This is a forum, it is my understanding that we are here to post our thoughts. Your thoughts are just as welcome as mine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jeronimo Yanez, Minnesota officer in Philando C... 9 hr fingers mcgurke 40
News Matt Cushing's Friends Speak Out (Feb '08) 12 hr anonymous 11
News Pickaway County man arrested in teena s fatal s... 18 hr seems hypocritical 3
News Onondaga DA among many named in civil rights su... Wed local yokel 65
News Fayette County Triple Murder Trial Picks Back Up (Apr '08) Tue AWG 18
News Prosecutor: Robbing a biker of his vest sparked... Jun 20 Victor Hugo 34
News Not guilty pleas filed in Elmont double-murder ... (Apr '07) Jun 20 Sidney Newman Jr 127
More from around the web