Off-duty CSULA police officer fatally shoots armed man in South Pasadena, officials say

Aug 18, 2013 Full story: Pasadena Star-News 67

An off-duty California State University, Los Angeles police officer shot and killed an armed man who confronted him early Sunday, authorities said.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
South Pas Citizen

Concord, CA

#1 Aug 18, 2013
Job Well done! I'm glad the officer is okay. Thank you for taking care of our community.
Stand your ground

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Aug 18, 2013
Support/ retain California's stand your ground low.
Assault ant batter a law abiding citizen you may die.
Plant a Gun cop

Torrance, CA

#3 Aug 19, 2013
There is not enough info here on this story but what was an off duty cop doing outside at 1am and happen to bump into this alledged victim, then just happens to leave his gun convieniently at the scene? I bet this scared cop planted the gun at the scene. His only problem was choosing which plant a gun in his home he wanted to place on the ground. He could have called 911 to have the local on duty police come and take care of whatever this guy was doing, instead of executing this victim. Campus police are more guards then anything, he probably got fired from some other screw up dept.
Friend

Northridge, CA

#4 Aug 19, 2013
South Pas Citizen wrote:
Job Well done! I'm glad the officer is okay. Thank you for taking care of our community.
"job well done!"
I think not!!! When did it become okay for an officer( off duty for this matter) to shoot anyone! I wouldnt fill safe with a crazy police officer in my neighborhood
Late responders

Concord, CA

#5 Aug 19, 2013
I've called before on thieves...took the cops about 45 minutes to arrive from 2 minutes away. Who's to say who's right...I'd like to see the video on the camera's that were recently installed. What's the victims name?
Channeling Trevon

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Aug 19, 2013
All I did was minding my own business or casing the joint. That cracker was minding his own business maybe calling the cops or taking my picture with his cellphone. He might capture my sole. I got paranoid and jumped his white axx with my deadly force martial arts skills. That will school him what with bashing his head and all.
How was I to know he was carrying heat.
Just minding my own business, should have headed straight to where I was staying and all would have been cool.
It's all my momma's fault letting me go out with gang attire on. I could have got hit by my homies since I was out of my hood.
Live and learn
R U Nuts

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Aug 19, 2013
Friend wrote:
<quoted text>
"job well done!"
I think not!!! When did it become okay for an officer( off duty for this matter) to shoot anyone! I wouldnt fill safe with a crazy police officer in my neighborhood
What are you talking about?

It IS and always has been OK for an officer, off-duty or on-duty, or anyone else for that matter to shoot someone, if they are justified in doing so, which certainly sounds like this was the case here. And I wouldn't fill safe with a crazy person like you in my neighborhood that doesn't want me to shoot back when someone shoots at me!
No Justice No Peace

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Aug 20, 2013
Most police agencies don't want you to get involved in off duty incidents unles it pertains to someibes life being in immediate danger. This guy gor list stopped in frobt of this dumb cops home and was playing his music to loud. This frightened little cop got scared he came out waving his gun and badge shaking yellung I'm de poluce turn your music off. Well this started a shoving match and the cop shit his pantscand shot the victim 5x out of who knows many rounds he really shot. Then according to the news the victim feared for his life and drove off to get help but crashed into a car due to his injuries. He died at the hosp. The cop now more acared cause he just used deadly force escalaring a minor loud music incident into assassinating the victim. I'm sure this cops dept will ask why did u go outside instead of watching the victim and calllibg the local real police. Here comes the lawsuit against the cop and his whole life will be investigated world wide. The cop was dumb because had he been thinkung instead of having a badge make you tuff stuff well now everyone knows where he lives. Stupid cop placed his family if he has any in danger now and I'm wondering about the odds this victim had a gun? Doesn't sound like the victim fired any bullets at the cop. Very suspicious activity by the cop. I think the cop planted a gun in his yard claiming it was the victims gun. Truth be told soon enough.
South Pas resident

Riverside, CA

#9 Aug 20, 2013
Who considers Cal State LA Police real cops. They are guards. He shoukd stayed inside and called 911. Let the highly trained Police handle this. You know write a ticket and leave.
Faker

Torrance, CA

#10 Aug 20, 2013
South Pas Citizen wrote:
Shut Up you Faker, you don't live in South Pasadena. Go back to the sewer you crawled out of.
South Pas Resident

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Aug 20, 2013
"Who considers Cal State LA Police real cops. They are guards. He shoukd stayed inside and called 911. Let the highly trained Police handle this. You know write a ticket and leave."

They are not guards when they are taking you to jail huh?
Bring badge and ID

Compton, CA

#12 Aug 20, 2013
South Pas Resident wrote:
"Who considers Cal State LA Police real cops. They are guards. He shoukd stayed inside and called 911. Let the highly trained Police handle this. You know write a ticket and leave."
Maybe you shoukd go guard your parking lots. Sounds to me like this officer couldbt get hired with a real dept. As usual we come to take care of the mess. Leave real police work to us big boys.
Remember Treyvon

Compton, CA

#13 Aug 20, 2013
White folks going around thinking every minority is a gangster or burglar! So that makes it okay to going around killing Blacks and Hispanics cuz you crackers THINK they are about to commit a crime? I say this cop must be prosecuted and brought to justice!
South Pas resident

Riverside, CA

#14 Aug 20, 2013
South Pas Resident wrote:
/// Oh your a guard also. Because you don't live up here with us.
South Pas resident

Riverside, CA

#15 Aug 20, 2013
South Pas resident wrote:
<quoted text>/// Oh your a guard also. Because you don't live up here with us.
//// Well since you are demonstrating a childish behavior there is no use in proceding. You have shown a propensity for deminished brain capacity. You may continue trying to convince everyone Cal State Police are real cops.
A Parent

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Aug 21, 2013
To think South Pasadena is like the City of Compton. Crazy shootouts, crazy incompetent police officer while he is off duty as your neighbors willing to kill so easily. This city was one on my list to move to with my children. Not anymore.
Boycot Cal State LA

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Aug 21, 2013
I will never let my children attend Cal State LA University. With a crazed campus police officer like this working there. Dont the campus police hace real full backgroubds and psycholigical testing for campus police? Time to boycott Cal Srate La University. This campus cop soubds like a real coward and trigger happy. Bet money he's had some questionable use of force in his past and present. He took a minor incident and escalated this to murder of another human being. He will have to live with that. Karma
haters

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Aug 21, 2013
whats your beef with cooper? leave the man alone
victims homeboy

Yorba Linda, CA

#19 Aug 22, 2013
check this out peeps , my boy was the person that got killed , knowing him he would have never pulled out first, second he was on his way home from his brother bachelor party, dumb sheriffs and lame SOUTH PASADENA COPS aint budging with info cuz its their own, these mother***** are getting away with murder, no bulls*** , and the report says they detained him not trying to revive or help keep him alive they waited 20 mins for the ambulance to arrive , let him bleed to death...f** these cops, there just as bad as yur friendly drug dealer nieghbor.
victims homeboy

Yorba Linda, CA

#20 Aug 22, 2013
Late responders wrote:
I've called before on thieves...took the cops about 45 minutes to arrive from 2 minutes away. Who's to say who's right...I'd like to see the video on the camera's that were recently installed. What's the victims name?
his name is justo quintero
how can i see the dash cam??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LAPD to buy 7,000 body cameras 5 hr WhatYouTalkinBout... 13
Gang related shooting leaves West Valinda man dead (Jul '09) 5 hr Killamunati 257
Is a Fake Cop Murdering Miss. Motorists? (May '12) 13 hr Charles 2
Third Bandido arrested in motorcycle bar shooting Wed Joe snuffy 2
Six Shootings in 12 Hours Leave One Dead, Many ... Wed Shawn45644 2
Murder trial gets underway in Blytheville Wed EEG 6
4 mothers share pain of losing sons Wed Calvin Ralls 7
More from around the web