Fort Thomas Wife Charged With Husband...

Fort Thomas Wife Charged With Husband's Murder

There are 481 comments on the WCPO-TV9 Cincinnati story from Jun 25, 2007, titled Fort Thomas Wife Charged With Husband's Murder. In it, WCPO-TV9 Cincinnati reports that:

Posted By: Tom Mckee Fort Thomas Police are still searching for a motive in the Monday morning shooting death of 44-year old Robert McCafferty.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WCPO-TV9 Cincinnati.

test

Alexandria, KY

#42 Jul 9, 2007
test
nky

AOL

#43 Jul 10, 2007
Today Cheryl Mccafferty was denied a lower bail and her attorneys asked that she may get house arrest if let out on bail. What nobody is saying is though that even if she is out on bail, she would not be allowed to speak to her children because they are now involved in this crime no matter what. They were there when it happened and you cannot allow witnesses to talk to each other. Very sad situation. And of course no matter what, the children will suffer the most. I hope they are close to other family members. They are at the age where they need someone to listen to their pain. Prayers to the whole family.
Renee

Fairfield, OH

#44 Jul 10, 2007
Cheryl is already convicted. Just ask Jack Porter and all of his Police and Judge friends. Anyone who lives in Ft. Thomas knows how this works. Boys rule...............
Gabby gnatt

Florence, KY

#45 Jul 10, 2007
Give me a break. She could've gotten out anytime. The door unlocks from the inside. He was gone four nights a week. She went to a divorce lawyer three weeks prior. He probaly told her to get out. Then she felt as if he didn't care. Hell he just probaly wanted to sleep in. She was the control freak. Bang problem solved. Go figure nice house old man gone during the week. Advertise on myspace for a replacement. Sounds like Bob got the raw end of this deal

Since: Jun 07

Ft. Thomas

#46 Jul 12, 2007
Gabby gnatt wrote:
Sounds like Bob got the raw end of this deal
This is true, regardless of what he MAY have done
Look Beyond in Ft Thomas

Evansville, IN

#47 Jul 13, 2007
Children don't react to their "beloved" Father's death the way Molly and Patrick appear to be reacting. It appears they are finally at peace and free of the abuse. My heart goes out to them and Molly put it perfectly on her My Space Page.
Think about it, in a "healthy" family, if Mom shoots Dad, the kids are going to be really pissed and it would take a long time to sort out lots of mixed emotions and I am not quite sure a child of any age would be supportive of Mom, at least not for quite a while. In this case it appears they are almost grateful, appreciative that the nightmare they lived behind closed doors is finally over. Unfortunately, a new nightmare has just begun. Hopefully, the truth will come out and justice will prevail. Ft. Thomas needs to wake up...Families that appear to "have it all" are just like everyone else. We all have our faults, weaknesses and problems. There is no "perfect family." Hopefully we can learn from this and try to look beyond attractiveness, successfulness, community contribuations, etc. Although I am not a fan of the author, it does take a village.
you people make me sick

Evansville, IN

#48 Jul 13, 2007
Can anyone think of a "good reason" to kill your husband and call 911? Honestly! You think she just willy-nilly decided to shoot him thinking everything would be OK??? I know Cheryl and the kids, and knew Bob. Knowing her, the most gentle person I have ever met, she did what she had to do to save herself and her kids. He was laying in bed. SO? What went on in the 24 hours between the 1st 911 call and the murder? NO ONE KNOWS except Cheryl and the kids. I can only run through thousands of horrible scenereos in my head. It keeps me up at night. I am so disgusted by some of the things you people have written. You have gone so far as to attack the children calling them names. Nice "Amazed" you are a real treat. We are all voyeurs, this much is true. Sad & sick. I have said my peace, now let's let justice prevail. I know who I am praying for.
Sick and Tired of this

Kingston, PA

#49 Jul 13, 2007
Cathy wrote:
All of these comments saying what a good man Bob was! Well, his daughter did not think so highly of him based upon her MySpace comment. People act different in the work place and around others. I agree with Trek. I think we need Nancy Grace to step in and figure out what really happened.
Exactly....there is always 2 sides to an abusive man or woman outside their homes everyone thinks oh whay a nice great person....inside their homes the worst kind person....cruel, mean, selfish, controlers
code Mark Felt

AOL

#50 Jul 14, 2007
I was wondering if anyone who is reading this has had any concerns with Campbell County Commonwealth Attorney Jack Porter. I found out some very important infromation and relayed the information to Jack Porter personnaly a few years back. I gave him phone records, documents and statements by others concerning a certain case in Campbell County. Since that time he has never called me back to follow up on any of the information I gave him. In a measure to make sure he would never call me a liar or say that he never received the information, I taped our conversation. Now I have found out some other information related to the case, but I cannot trust him anymore as I do not know what he did with the previous information. What do you do when you can't even trust the Commonwealth Attorney???? This has nothing to do with the Mccafferty case, just Jack Porter.
Stuck in Ft Thomas

AOL

#51 Jul 15, 2007
FORT THOMAS - Cheryl McCafferty walked out the front door, put her hand up and sat down at the foot of the driveway leading to her Madonna Place home.
"He told me he wanted me to kill myself, and if I didn't, he was going to kill the kids," the 43-year-old mother of two said to a detective. "So I shot him."
Stuck in Ft Thomas

AOL

#52 Jul 15, 2007
That quote was from the paper - I'm glad Cheryl didn't shoot herself and leave the kids with Bob.
Stuck in Ft Thomas

AOL

#53 Jul 15, 2007
They did not lower her bond because the only other wife murdering husband in Campbell County was Amy Bosely and her bond was $1 Million.
cincy mom

Fairfield, OH

#54 Jul 16, 2007
Are you kidding me Trek? It's really easy to say this in hindsight. Just like the police were blamed in the Virgina Tech shooting. It's really easy to point fingers after the fact. To blame the police in this situation is absolutely crazy. You have to remember that this is a well known family. You have to remember that the call DID NOT come from inside the home and you have to remember that both Cheryl and Patrick said everything was fine. There was nothing for the police to investigate at that time and to insinuate that Bob may have already been dead is stupid. This was an argument between a father and a daughter. The daughter "complained to a family member" via the telephone and the call as made. You have no right to point fingers.
TREK wrote:
After the investigation is complete, another needs to begin. An independent, outside investigation into the handling of the Sunday domestic violence call. The responding officer did not even respond to the home, he saw Cheryl and one of the kids on the road. They said everything was alright. Was Bob McCafferty dead at that time? I guess onl the autopsy will tell. Did the family receive special treatment because of their relationship with upper levels of the police department? Would Bob McCafferty still be alive today had the situation been handled differently? These questions need to be answered.
Training

AOL

#55 Jul 16, 2007
I'm sorry but I believe that under KY LAW all instances of any kind of domestic violence must be investigated. That is what they are taught at the Police Academy so that there wouldn't be any questions, like the ones coming up in this case, regarding the handling of a report of domestic violence, which includes all relatives, any age, and associates living in the residence. It was a 911 call, apparently dispatched to the wrong address. The police should of contacted all parties in the residence that day, Sunday. Where would all be right now had they talked to Bob Mccafferty??????????
cincy mom

Fairfield, OH

#56 Jul 16, 2007
Actually, KY law is pretty wide open. KY, unlike other states, does not mandate an arrest in domestic disputes. Maybe this needs to be reviewed but right now the individual police departmens are to set their own policies and procedures as long as those P&P's are as strict as the state law - at least this is what the newspaper and the news have stated. It has already been documented that the Ft. Thomas police acted within their set policies and within the laws of the State. Again, it's very easy to say this after the fact. If the call had been made from inside the home or even the correct address given (which it was not) it would be a different story and I would agree with you. In this case it was not. There are so many cases that can be second guessed. Cheryl is a highly educated and well spoken woman. I'm sure the police had no reason to think anything was wrong that day as she assured them there wasn't. There had never been a record of calls to that home or a record of any type of disturbance except the animal call the day before. I'm just saying that we shouldn't point fingers at the police department. My guess is Bob would have assured the police that everything was fine just as Cheryl did. Remember, if there was abuse, as it has been alleged, they were both masters of hiding it. I certainly don't believe that Bob would have said anything to shatter the perfect image this family had. Obviously we will never know. In a perfect world the police would have benefit of hindsight. There isn't a person out there that wasn't shocked that she did this. There isn't a person out there that could have predicted that this would happen. It's shocking and horrible, but it isn't the police departments fault. Just my opinion.
Training wrote:
I'm sorry but I believe that under KY LAW all instances of any kind of domestic violence must be investigated. That is what they are taught at the Police Academy so that there wouldn't be any questions, like the ones coming up in this case, regarding the handling of a report of domestic violence, which includes all relatives, any age, and associates living in the residence. It was a 911 call, apparently dispatched to the wrong address. The police should of contacted all parties in the residence that day, Sunday. Where would all be right now had they talked to Bob Mccafferty??????????

Ft. Thomas

#57 Jul 17, 2007
Ok Cheryl said everythign was ok, how many women who are abused would say the same thing? What if it was her abusing him. I know, no eveidence of that, but there is the same amount of evidence that he was abusing her.
Of course we point fingers at the police department.They were called there the day before he died. They did not truely investigate the call. They just took her word on the street that "everything was ok" and the next day he ws dead. Maybe had it truely been investigated he'be alive. I will bet you if Newport, or Cincinnati gets called to a domestic violence call, they will certainly investigate it thoroughly, and not just take the word of the woman on the street. Did they even talk to Bob on Sunday? Does anybody know for sure? If they didn't the the Sunday call was handled in a completely incompetant manner.

Ft. Thomas

#58 Jul 17, 2007
Cincy mom-Nobody is saying that it is the police department's fault, where'd you get that?
It is the person who pulled the trigger's fault. But, the Sunday called was at best poorly handled. At worst it contributed to the death. All I'm saying is that an outside investigation need to be launched into the Ft. Thomas poilice depatments' handling of this situation to find out what can be done better in the future.
cincy mom

Saint Petersburg, FL

#59 Jul 17, 2007
Trek - you're right, hopefully in the future all of the police departments will investigate each and every domestic violence call. I just think (my opinion) that it's easy to see the situation as cut and dry as you do after the fact. I have to be honest and put myself in the situation AT THE TIME of the call and to honesty take into consideration the facts (call not made from the home, no evidence of abuse, the woman (stereotype yes)saying all is well) and the fact that the officer probably knew the family (not sure about that)and say that I would have probably handled the call the same way. My only point is that the police are not soothsayers and they don't have the benefit of hindsight. They probably handle more domestic dispute and alleged domestic dispute calls than any of us can ever imagine. The officer used his best judgement at that time and yes, in hindsight, I'm sure he wishes he would have handled it differently. Maybe the department will review their policy as it pertains to these situations, maybe they should, but I don't think an all out "investigation" as to how the initial call was handled is warranted. You have an absolutely astonishing situation here. I haven't heard one person say "yeah, I saw that coming". I'm sure there are many people (friends, family) that are now beating themselves up and my stance is the same - they also didn't have the benefit of hindsight and they couldn't foresee the future.
anonymous

Evansville, IN

#60 Jul 17, 2007
Kudos! Citizen in Ft. Thomas!!! Very well said!

Ft. Thomas

#61 Jul 18, 2007
If a death wasn't involved then maybe an internal review would be sufficient. But that's not the case, a man is dead, less than 24 hours after a call to the residence was mis-handled. After a death it is highly unlikely that the Ft. Thomas police department can self-evaluate this situation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News East Tennessee family waits for justice after D... (Nov '16) 49 min Big Foot 2
News Onondaga DA among many named in civil rights su... 8 hr Danny Carranza 67
News Jeronimo Yanez, Minnesota officer in Philando C... 19 hr fingers mcgurke 40
News Matt Cushing's Friends Speak Out (Feb '08) 22 hr anonymous 11
News Pickaway County man arrested in teena s fatal s... Thu seems hypocritical 3
News Fayette County Triple Murder Trial Picks Back Up (Apr '08) Tue AWG 18
News Prosecutor: Robbing a biker of his vest sparked... Jun 20 Victor Hugo 34
More from around the web