LAPD officer shot by Long Beach police

LAPD officer shot by Long Beach police

There are 68 comments on the LA Daily News story from Jul 30, 2008, titled LAPD officer shot by Long Beach police. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

An off-duty Los Angeles police officer was shot and wounded early this morning by Long Beach police, authorities said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
JAY

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Jul 30, 2008
FINALLY WE GET DIRTY COPS ON THE BOARD COPS SHOOTINGS COPS.WHAT ELSE IS THIS WORLD COMING TO!
Jeremy Paradise Ca

Chico, CA

#2 Jul 30, 2008
hahahahahaha igits how the hell do you shoot one of your own without asking for I.SD> first??
JAY

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Jul 30, 2008
1 SHOT 100 MORE TO HIRE!
Kathy

Burbank, CA

#4 Jul 30, 2008
I'm surprised that the off-duty cop didn't ID himself by telling Long Beach PD he was a cop. The article didn't say much. The first thing I'd say if I was a cop, approached by cops, that I was a cop. So either Long Beach shot first, asked later.
rodney king

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Jul 30, 2008
hahahaahahaahahah haheheheheh heee hehe! yaah babee! hahaha I love it!
Norman Moore

Culver City, CA

#6 Jul 30, 2008
Kathy wrote:
I'm surprised that the off-duty cop didn't ID himself by telling Long Beach PD he was a cop. The article didn't say much. The first thing I'd say if I was a cop, approached by cops, that I was a cop. So either Long Beach shot first, asked later.
Not enough info to comment. Maybe this guy was acting suspiciously and didn't identify himself. On the other hand the Long Beach cop(s) could have been trigger happy. The bottom line and a lesson to all, anyone with a gun is dangerous and if you are carrying a weapon and are confronted by police you need to do whatever they say.

On the other hand if you are carrying a gun and point it at anyone it had better be someone you really want to kill. It is not a toy or something to be waved around to scare someone. It is deadly serious, literally. I heard an firearms instructor on the radio a week ago and his advice, never ever have your finger inside the trigger guard until you are actually going to fire the weapon.
jack offen

United States

#7 Jul 30, 2008
that's because the cop didn't give him the chance to id himself, same as in inglewood and the other shootings people have been complaining about. some of you think others are complaining using the race card. now you see the cops are out of control, but it is not a coincidence that lots of minorities are getting shot because they are "considered" more aggressive. heck they drew on a retarded man in crisis and almost shot him, they felt he was out of control. he was out of control but he wasn't threatening to anybody.they were gonna shoot him though until we explained what was going on.
onewayJesus

United States

#8 Jul 30, 2008
That's the problem! Is carying a gun a crime? If it is'nt why are cops shooting people who have guns if they are not doing anything to anyone with it, or when they are not even real guns to begin with (many youngsters have been shot & killed for being armed with guns that turn out to be fake/be be guns)! Horrible! Thank God he's alive!
keli

United States

#10 Jul 30, 2008
long beach cops are dirty
regular joe

United States

#11 Jul 30, 2008
Maybe if they shoot a few more of their own they'll slow downthose itcht trigger fingers
Ironic Aint it

United States

#12 Jul 30, 2008
The truth of the matter is that the police have become a paramilitary gang that is funded by, paid by, trained by, and equipped by the state. anyone remember the Brown Shirts and the SS ? They have been given so much free reign to do as they wish and then investigate themselves that they think they can get away with anything they want. Most of the public have lost faith in the police forces because they themselves have proven that although not all cops are bad.....most of them are. The only difference between the PD and organized crime or street gangs is that they have better equipment and can "legally" use it as they wish. Wonder what would happen if the Bloods, Crips, Mexican Mafia, Aryan Brotherhood, Hells Angels or any number of others could commit crimes, terrorize the community when ever they wished and then conduct their own investigations ?
WAKE THE FUCK UP AMERICA !
Fiasko Gable

Fort Worth, TX

#13 Jul 30, 2008
Wow one of the few times an cop doesnt shot to kill...Lucky dog he didnt or he'd be f_cked!
daviedee

Memphis, TN

#14 Jul 30, 2008
after midnight all these cops are dirty and in a
crap little town like long beach it is every man for himself.
jack offen

United States

#15 Jul 30, 2008
don't know about all that "ironic". but i do know that bratten brings a lot of baggage with him. under his watch he lowered crime in new york. he did but they killed a lot of people there too. that newlywed shot 40 times leaving his party, and the guy who got the broom handle jammed up his butt. those incidents and many more happened on bratten's watch. he gives his officers a free pass to break any laws they want and they know the won't get into trouble
Mike for change

Agoura Hills, CA

#17 Jul 30, 2008
Fiasko Gable wrote:
Wow one of the few times an cop doesnt shot to kill...Lucky dog he didnt or he'd be f_cked!
No, most likely they would of used the dead cops throw away. All third shift cops carry throw aways. Most people walking around with a gun in hand late at night early morning get shot when confronted be the police, no questions asked- you would do the same. The shot cop, if on duty, should of had a badge displayed or one in hand to flash.
Chris L

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Jul 30, 2008
jack offen wrote:
don't know about all that "ironic". but i do know that bratten brings a lot of baggage with him. under his watch he lowered crime in new york. he did but they killed a lot of people there too. that newlywed shot 40 times leaving his party, and the guy who got the broom handle jammed up his butt. those incidents and many more happened on bratten's watch. he gives his officers a free pass to break any laws they want and they know the won't get into trouble
Do you honestly believe this? I hope not. Chief Bratton (not bratten) does not give the LAPD Officers "free passes to break any laws they want". The LAPD has become so restricted and scrutinized under his control. He does not back his Officers, and the majority of the Officers do not care for him.
CGN

La Verne, CA

#20 Jul 30, 2008
This LAPD office must be young arrogant SOB. He got what he deserves. Some one that has common sence will not be walking at 12:30am with a gun unless you are up to no good. Mr LAPD wanted to be cool but he is just a fool.
Chris L

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Jul 30, 2008
onewayJesus wrote:
That's the problem! Is carying a gun a crime? If it is'nt why are cops shooting people who have guns if they are not doing anything to anyone with it, or when they are not even real guns to begin with (many youngsters have been shot & killed for being armed with guns that turn out to be fake/be be guns)! Horrible! Thank God he's alive!
First of all, carrying a gun is a crime (for the general public). Second, the LAPD Officer apparently pointed the gun at Long Beach Officers and refused to drop it and comply with their orders. Third, many "youngsters" have been killed with fake guns because often times fake guns look real. People have also been shot and killed by the police for pointing cell phones, or phone chargers at police because they "simulate" guns with these objects. Officers can't always immediately recognize what is a gun, or if it's real or fake. They simply react to what they perceive as a deadly threat.
MARIA FLORES

Irvine, CA

#22 Jul 30, 2008
You got some of your own how that feels! Now these days cops have there own gang. All cops are dirty dumb pigs. This dumb pig got shoot because he was in the wrong territory its like a gangster or tagger these cops are doing the same thing. These cops are killing some of there own crossing the wrong line.
Chris L

Los Angeles, CA

#23 Jul 30, 2008
jack offen wrote:
that's because the cop didn't give him the chance to id himself, same as in inglewood and the other shootings people have been complaining about. some of you think others are complaining using the race card. now you see the cops are out of control, but it is not a coincidence that lots of minorities are getting shot because they are "considered" more aggressive. heck they drew on a retarded man in crisis and almost shot him, they felt he was out of control. he was out of control but he wasn't threatening to anybody.they were gonna shoot him though until we explained what was going on.
I wasn't there, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and venture to say that the Long Beach Officers did verbalize with the LAPD Officer. I seriously doubt that the LB Officers just drove up and shot the guy. The article said that the LAPD Officer refused to drop his weapon, leaving one to assume that verbal commands were given, and the LAPD Officer did not comply. HE should have dropped his gun immediately, advised the responding Officers that he was an off-duty Officer, and complied with them. He would have been given an opportunity to prove it later.

As for your comment on the retarted man...who cares if the cops drew their guns on him. You say he wasn't threatening anybody...if he wasn't, why would they draw? Often times, mentally unstable people pose a tremendous threat to Officers because they are unpredictable and often times lose control. Just because he was retarted doesn't mean he can't hurt or kill people.

You think cops are out of control? What do you know? I doubt you're an Officer. You have no idea what Law Enforcement Officers go through, what they see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sharpton & Jackson To Visit West Memphis (Jul '07) 1 hr little gurl 2
News State trooper gets 8 to 10 years for on-duty rape (Apr '07) 5 hr One of em 4
News Another Ferguson activist dies under cloud of s... 21 hr Captain 8
News Onondaga DA among many named in civil rights su... 21 hr local yokel 37
News Murdered decade ago, Brandon, then 8, is still ... (Oct '07) 22 hr Bri 24
News No federal prosecution of officer, no strong re... Thu Shot criminals 3
News Former Beckley doctor to be charged in fatal sh... (Apr '11) Thu Citizens rise on ... 32
More from around the web