CNU's Wason Center Releases Survey on...

CNU's Wason Center Releases Survey on Gas Tax-Sales Tax Swap

There are 12 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jan 22, 2013, titled CNU's Wason Center Releases Survey on Gas Tax-Sales Tax Swap. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Governor Bob McDonnell's idea to change the way Virginians are taxed in order to pay for transportation is getting a favorable review from voters.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

BBJ

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jan 24, 2013
I don't like it, raise the gas tax that way you are paying for what you use rather than just everyone paying for it. If you drive a lot you pay more
Rational

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jan 24, 2013
BBJ wrote:
I don't like it, raise the gas tax that way you are paying for what you use rather than just everyone paying for it. If you drive a lot you pay more
Exactly! The gas tax is a usage tax and is paid proportionally. If anything, he should raise the gas tax to discourage driving in order to unclog the roadways and save the environment.
iwargo

Ruckersville, VA

#3 Jan 24, 2013
round it off to 6 percent
Judy

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jan 24, 2013
BBJ wrote:
Food and goods are transported via roads to every town in Virginia, so you could say everyone gets to benefit from roads, everyone should help pay for them not just car owners. Just like I have to pay taxes to help for education even though I do not have a child in school. I benefit when our children are better educated. Although I must admit the education system in the U.S. needs improvement.
reb

Berryville, VA

#5 Jan 24, 2013
Rational wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly! The gas tax is a usage tax and is paid proportionally. If anything, he should raise the gas tax to discourage driving in order to unclog the roadways and save the environment.
discourage driving ?? what about those who HAVE TO DRIVE long distances to work. dont you think lower gas means maybe people will drive and spend money at some mom and pop businesses?? i agree just make it a flat 6%, even at that its still cheaper than many states ( NY/CA )
WHERE IT BE

Bassett, VA

#6 Jan 24, 2013
Rational wrote:
<quoted text>
so your idea is to raise gas taxes for people that have to drive to work? let me remind you that there are hospital workers that have to drive to work everyday in order to take care of people that are sick or injured. how would you feel if for some reason the doctor that was to do your must have or you die surgery or the nurse that took extra special care of your kid when he was sick were unable to drive the hour and a half due to gas prices?

things are what they are because the higher ups allow it to be that way. my understadning is that rutgers university did a study a few years back when gas was 2 something a gallon and it showed what it took to get, refine, transport, and make a profit. the price per gallon was less that $1.50 at the pump. now you tell me why gas is so high. its because it is allowed to be that way by the powers that be because they are more than likely getting a kick back. just like politicians won't tax the rich....because they get funded by them and fear they will lose the funds.

lets face it....were are all screwed!
G Luv

Marietta, GA

#7 Jan 24, 2013
Judy wrote:
<quoted text>
Food and goods are transported via roads to every town in Virginia, so you could say everyone gets to benefit from roads, everyone should help pay for them not just car owners.
You already pay for that in the price of the goods.
G Luv

Marietta, GA

#8 Jan 24, 2013
reb wrote:
<quoted text>
discourage driving ?? what about those who HAVE TO DRIVE long distances to work. dont you think lower gas means maybe people will drive and spend money at some mom and pop businesses?? i agree just make it a flat 6%, even at that its still cheaper than many states ( NY/CA )
Um, the people who drive long distances are the reason we have gridlock and need more roads. If the governor wants everyone to share the burden, why propose more toll roads?
DANNY B

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jan 24, 2013
This is a much better ideal than one that has been proposed, where everyone is required to pay per mile traveled. One needs to understand that we all benefit from upkeep of our infrastructure. It would also cover the bicyclists that use our roads, and electric vehicles.
G Luv

Marietta, GA

#10 Jan 24, 2013
DANNY B wrote:
This is a much better ideal than one that has been proposed, where everyone is required to pay per mile traveled. One needs to understand that we all benefit from upkeep of our infrastructure. It would also cover the bicyclists that use our roads, and electric vehicles.
Cyclists _already_ pay for upkeep of the roads, because current revenue streams don't cover the costs. Electric vehicles are taxed on electricity.

The long and the short of it is that rewarding people for conserving helps move us away from our oil addiction.
Ron

Scottsville, VA

#11 Jan 25, 2013
So much for the Republicans do not raise taxes!!! They ran in 2010 for lower taxes and create jobs. The only thing they did at every level of goverment was pass abortion laws and talk about birth control. They did not pass one bill that would create a job. In most states they cut jobs by the thousands. And they can't figue why they lost the election. Can anyone be that dumb.
JMK

Miamisburg, OH

#12 Jan 30, 2013
Ron wrote:
So much for the Republicans do not raise taxes!!! They ran in 2010 for lower taxes and create jobs. The only thing they did at every level of goverment was pass abortion laws and talk about birth control. They did not pass one bill that would create a job. In most states they cut jobs by the thousands. And they can't figue why they lost the election. Can anyone be that dumb.
This proposal isn't raising or lowering taxes. It eliminates one type of tax, while adjusting the rate of another to compensate. It is a one-for-one swap, and it will help maintain the state's revenue in order to keep the roads in good repair, which is a core government function. Average MPG when the gas tax was instated was around 10, and average MPG now is edging ever closer to 30, so a gas tax is a shrinking revenue stream. It is kind of common sense, it is kind of a dry subject, and it doesn't really touch any major social issues. I would think this is one of the few things there could be broad across-the-aisle support for.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stover gets more charges, higher bail 4 hr Lori 2
News Charlotte strip club loses ABC license for hist... 10 hr Fred Herbert 5
5 Months Later 23 hr Mark Rosenkranz 1
News Was The Shooting Of Joe McKnight A Case Of Stan... Mon Kevin from Michigan 1
News Ripley, TN woman accused of shooting sleeping h... (Mar '13) Mon Izzy-_- 57
News California police chief admits to issuing fake ... Mon Reggie Williams 1
News Tiffany Long Part IV: Dorthia Bynum speaks (Oct '08) Sun Liszym 10
More from around the web