Attorneys for Mary Winkler Weigh Options

There are 20 comments on the Historymike's musings story from Apr 3, 2006, titled Attorneys for Mary Winkler Weigh Options. In it, Historymike's musings reports that:

Left: Mary Winkler with attorney Steve Farese last Thursday The defense team representing Mary Winkler is investigating stategies for their client, including the possibility that the shooting was an accident.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Historymike's musings.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Debra Mc

Cincinnati, OH

#1 Apr 5, 2006
Is it possible that Mrs. Winker was protecting her daughters from their father? Has that been asked any where?
Someone Reading In

United States

#2 Apr 5, 2006
Two shots in the back.. an accident? One shot in the back may be an accident, not two.

Leaving him to die? If she "accidentally" shot her husband, she would call an ambulance. If she purposely shot him, she would run away.

Maybe after she pulled the trigger she realized how wrong it was but was too scared to stick around.

I just can't by that is was an "accident."
Rev Ed

AOL

#3 Apr 5, 2006
Debra, one would hope some kind "self defense" would be the cause of this tragedy. I certainly do. It could be that she's simply a sinner who let her sin get out of control. Remember Cain and Abel in Genesis? God told Cain, "Sin is crouching at your door, you must master it." There's no for excuse for murder unless it's true insanity, which is rare.
Debra

Cincinnati, OH

#4 Apr 6, 2006
Rev Ed, I agree 100% but, in todays times incest is a widespread illness. If Mrs Winkler is "simply a sinner" her behavior over the years would reflect that. Her family was her world to her. She leased a condo she never moved into. She was planning to take her daughters away from the family setting. Why? Keep an open mind Rev., even men of god, lie, cheat and steal.
Someone Reading In

United States

#5 Apr 10, 2006
Debra wrote:
Rev Ed, I agree 100% but, in todays times incest is a widespread illness. If Mrs Winkler is "simply a sinner" her behavior over the years would reflect that....

Keep an open mind Rev., even men of god, lie, cheat and steal.
Incest is an "illness"??? Come on... sin is sin, NOT an illness. Incest is temptation acted upon therefore becoming sin. Too many people want to blame sin as an illness in our world today. People are trying to escape self responsibility. Man may buy it but God won't.

The idea of incest with Dan Winkler is nothing but a rumor. To even bring it up without any evidence is digraceful to his name and the kids who have to live with the labeling of being victims of the such.

Those who keep their mind too open fall prey to garbage being tossed in. Garbage brings decay.
Tracy -Ohio

Detroit, MI

#6 Apr 10, 2006
Debra Mc wrote:
Is it possible that Mrs. Winker was protecting her daughters from their father? Has that been asked any where?
I have beening thinking the same thing!
allie

United States

#7 Apr 10, 2006
Well, personally I think she commited this crime for the sake of her children. I don't think she was just a "COLD BLOODED KILLER" to be killing her husband. I think she acted out has protecting her children or maybe even herself. No it is not right taking another humans life but sometimes we don't understand why things happen and for what reason and in this case I think she just snapped. Something put the icing on the cake for her to do this to herself and her children and little to say her husband. People get real she loved her husband or she would of done this along time ago. She had just been taken over the edge by something that she had been dealing with. We will never be her and know her sitution so we can not judge her, that is not for us to do no matter what the circumstances are. She will live with this her whole life and so will her sweet and god loving children. The world needs peace in it knowing the end is soon.........
Debra

Cincinnati, OH

#8 Apr 10, 2006
Someone Reading,

Wow, you do not believe incest is a sickness. Is it normal behavior in your world? At this point every specelation is a rumor. No facts other then the cause of death have been released. And just something to ponder, if it were not for open mindedness, we would all be sitting in a cave scratching on a wall.
j gibson

Fredericksburg, VA

#9 Apr 10, 2006
debra, I am with you on this one. When I first heard about the shooting and being a victim of abuse at a young age myself My first thought was there is only one reason I would shoot my husband and sexual abuse is that reason. No trial for him, no excuses. He knows this and agrees that sexual abuse victims have justifiable homicide. sorry in advanced to all the people who will go crazy on me, but I have been there and IF this is the reason and who knows it PROBABLY isn't but IF it is I wish I were on the jury because she would go home and raise her babies.
Someone Reading In

United States

#10 Apr 12, 2006
Debra wrote:
Someone Reading,

Wow, you do not believe incest is a sickness. Is it normal behavior in your world?
I said incest is sin. Sin is when someone does something that is not right in God's eyes. I did not classify incest as "normal" behavior. That was your idea. There is a difference between normal/abnormal behavior, and the frequency of something happening. Incest IS (equals) a sin. I do not have the statistics or personal knowledge to incest as you tried to infer upon me.

As to whether something is seen as normal or abnormal would depend entirely on ones' world view. Do you believe man is inherently sinful, or inherently good? If man is inherently good then any wrongful act would be considered abnormal to mans' ways. If man is inherently sinful, then any wrongful act would be considered normal to mans ways.

Much of what todays society likes to call "sickness" is nothing more than an excuse for why someone commits a wrongful act. God did not give us a list of excuses that would disqualify us from accountability for doing wrong. It was a result of pride that brought King Nebuchadnezzar to his mental instability. It was God that brought the punishment and delivered him from insanity. The purpose was to humble Nebuchadnezzar.

Daniel 4:28-37

King Nebuchadnezzar took credit for building Babylon and not God. His royal authority was taken from him by God. God drove him away from people and he ate grass like cattle until he acknowledged that God is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone he wishes. After the foretold seven years ended, Nebuchadnezzar repented [acknowledged he was wrong AND sought forgiveness] before God and his sanity was restored. Then he praised God, the Most High.
Nebuchadnezzar wrote that at the same time that his sanity was restored, his honor and splendor were returned to him and his throne was restored and he became even greater than before. He further wrote that everything God does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble.

This passage in Daniel would lead us to the conclusion that "mental illness" is a result of our sin and God trying to restore us back to Him. None the less, a person can avoid this so called "mental illness" by making right choices. For whatever reason, Mary was forming wrong mental choices in her head that led to what we are told was "premeditated" murder. If they back paddle later and say she suddenly just lost it, then that is still no excuse for what she has done. We are to be self controlled at all times. Everyone should learn self control so when suddenly faced with anger, they can quickly deal with it without doing wrong.

I am sure God can use Mary in a mighty way down the road of life providing she seeks forgiveness and allows God to work in her. Her future has not been written yet and is yet to be seen by those around.
Draprehouse

AOL

#11 Apr 12, 2006
Debra wrote:
Rev Ed, I agree 100% but, in todays times incest is a widespread illness. If Mrs Winkler is "simply a sinner" her behavior over the years would reflect that. Her family was her world to her. She leased a condo she never moved into. She was planning to take her daughters away from the family setting. Why? Keep an open mind Rev., even men of god, lie, cheat and steal.
We can all play the guessing game. I want to know why he was shot. Could it be possible the oldest daughter shot him, we don't know. Anything is possible. I do know for sure we need to keep this family in our prayers. I believe Mary Winkler was a good Mother. Can you imagine what Mothers Day will be for her, and for the beautiful children. God Bless them and please God, keep them in your loving care.
Annette White

Stanton, CA

#13 Apr 18, 2006
I am a pastor's wife in Southern California. I started a ministry called Pastor's Wives Network; I have spoken with many, many pastor's wives and ministry wives who have felt exactly like Mary Winkler. So many people think that they know what goes on in the homes of these people; they don't. Please stop judging until you have walked at least one mile - equivelant to one year in the shoes of a ministry wife. I would love to speak to Mary Winkler's attorney and share some of the most horrific stories that I have heard. Instead of people speculating and judging, they need to start praying. That is the biggest problem in America - everyone judges; everyone gossips; no one prays. Believe me if things don't change, neither will circumstances like this. Mary Winkler isn't the first woman to kill her ministry husband and she will not be the last one if things stay the way they are.
Wondering in TX

United States

#15 Apr 18, 2006
Debra Mc wrote:
Protecting them FROM the father or FROM one of them having (accidently) fired the weapon?
Pleading the 5th

United States

#16 Apr 18, 2006
Annette White wrote:
I am a pastor's wife in Southern California. I started a ministry called Pastor's Wives Network; I have spoken with many, many pastor's wives and ministry wives who have felt exactly like Mary Winkler.
Many who have felt exactly like Mary Winkler? and just how might that be? Murder? Maybe feelings of leaving them and escaping but never murder.

So do you think he asked her to lead VBS this year?

Maybe she wanted him to go on vacation with the family to the condo. He refused to ask to get away since he had to help put out flowers that coming Saturday at the church. Since he thought it more important to put out flowers than spend time with the family, she decided if she couldn't make him go with them then she would see to it he did neither.

You know.. sometimes all that church work of being there for all the other people begins to feel like they are the "other woman."
Debra

Cincinnati, OH

#17 Apr 19, 2006
Wondering in TX wrote:
<quoted text>

Protecting them FROM the father or FROM one of them having (accidently) fired the weapon?
I do not belive firing a shot gun TWICE can be condisered an accidentail shooting! Protecting her daughters from their father. Saddly, Mr. Winkler would not be the first man of the cloth to abuse children even those of their own.
Someone Reading In

United States

#18 Apr 19, 2006
Debra wrote:
<quoted text>

I do not belive firing a shot gun TWICE can be condisered an accidentail shooting! Protecting her daughters from their father. Saddly, Mr. Winkler would not be the first man of the cloth to abuse children even those of their own.
No one knows the truth of the situation but most people are inclined to believe it was child abuse. No where is there any indication of child abuse. I think the Globe said something but him and kids at another church but isn't the Globe as credible as the National Inquirer?

For all we know she got tired of finding the toilet seat up all these years and just "snapped." No, I don't really believe this is the case.. just making a point that it could be anything and we have no clue and just tired of the child abuse theory.
Debra

Cincinnati, OH

#19 Apr 20, 2006
Debra wrote:
<quoted text>

Someone, You are correct, none of us know her reasons. This is after all just a slate for speculations. An opion or guess does not mean acussed or guilty.
Debra

Cincinnati, OH

#20 Apr 20, 2006
When I say accussed or guilty, I mean Mr. Winkler's role. We all know Mrs. Winkler is responsible for his death. We are all just guess as to her motive.
unknown

Pittston, PA

#21 Apr 21, 2006
Listen to Annett's comment read over and over she is so right....no one lnows if they never lived it. Our society is always ready to judge and criticize not knowing the torment and pain felt by these women, children and yes some men.

Pray for Mary Winkler and her children God Bless and keep them safe
hghjgkugh

Atlanta, GA

#22 Apr 25, 2006
Debra Mc wrote:
its possible

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Video footage sought in Hillary trial 27 min enter 130
News Holly Bobo suspect indicted on 2 counts of rape (Oct '14) 41 min Justice4Holly 134
News Police defend use of deadly force in fatal shoo... (May '08) 1 hr TMZ 27
News Tiffany Long Part IV: Dorthia Bynum speaks (Oct '08) 15 hr Jay 8
News Man arrested in Downtown El Paso bar shooting 16 hr huey goins 1
News Urgently Needed: A Public Jobs Program 18 hr okimar 8
News Family marks 100 days since LaFollette woman di... 20 hr Tricia 18
More from around the web