137 Accidental Shootings of Children ...

137 Accidental Shootings of Children and Teens Since Newtown

There are 18 comments on the www.dailykos.com story from May 12, 2013, titled 137 Accidental Shootings of Children and Teens Since Newtown. In it, www.dailykos.com reports that:

Here is a list of accidental shootings of children since the Sandy Hook massacre. It spans December 15, 2012-May 3, 2013.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.dailykos.com.

No more lost children

Fairmont, WV

#1 May 12, 2013
Well, isn't this a nice story. WTF is wrong with us?
Sam

Fairmont, WV

#2 May 12, 2013
I read all of the shootings, it is sad that this happened & 95% were the parents fault because the firearms were not locked away in a secure place where the kids could not get to them. If you leave firearm where a child can get to it you are asking for trouble & should be held responsable for there actions.
exactly

Fairmont, WV

#3 May 13, 2013
Sam wrote:
I read all of the shootings, it is sad that this happened & 95% were the parents fault because the firearms were not locked away in a secure place where the kids could not get to them. If you leave firearm where a child can get to it you are asking for trouble & should be held responsable for there actions.
These are the people screaming about being law abiding responsible gun owners. It's a crock of S#*%!
no one cares

Fairmont, WV

#4 May 14, 2013
No one cares about dead children. They care about being able to shoot a gun.
Sam

Fairmont, WV

#5 May 14, 2013
exactly wrote:
<quoted text> These are the people screaming about being law abiding responsible gun owners. It's a crock of S#*%!
What is your answer to the problem? Please try to answer without removing our rights as U.S.A. citizens & try to not curse as you are chatting, that just proves that you mouth is faster than your brain.
Lamer

Norwalk, OH

#6 May 14, 2013
Sam wrote:
<quoted text> What is your answer to the problem? Please try to answer without removing our rights as U.S.A. citizens & try to not curse as you are chatting, that just proves that you mouth is faster than your brain.
if your are so clueless as to proper gun safety, you do not deserve those rights. If not properly securing your weapon is soo difficult and an infringement on your rights, then you; along with everyone else has already lost.

Or start charging these parents with the deaths of their children.
Solution

Fairmont, WV

#7 May 14, 2013
Sam wrote:
<quoted text> What is your answer to the problem? Please try to answer without removing our rights as U.S.A. citizens & try to not curse as you are chatting, that just proves that you mouth is faster than your brain.
Registered firearms, insured firearms, solid background checks with a database of mental patients, and Medicare for all so that the mentally ill can seek help. How's that for an idea?
August

Silver Springs, FL

#8 May 14, 2013
Solution wrote:
<quoted text> Registered firearms, insured firearms, solid background checks with a database of mental patients, and Medicare for all so that the mentally ill can seek help. How's that for an idea?
I like the idea of preventing mentally deficient from gun ownership but at some point people's rights will be stepped on and some good hearted group like the ACLU will freak out and any legislation that does come will be so watered down as to not have any effect.
If it can get past that, I'll hear it out.
FormerParatroope r

Chicago, IL

#9 May 14, 2013
Solution wrote:
<quoted text> Registered firearms, insured firearms, solid background checks with a database of mental patients, and Medicare for all so that the mentally ill can seek help. How's that for an idea?
None of what you suggest would have prevented any if these tragedies, with the exception of mental health. Medicare for all is not the answer in my opinion. Unfortunately we have closed many of the mental health institutions, and have made it nearly impossible to have someone committed.
My opinion is if you do not secure your firearms, car keys, alcohol, cleaning supplies and medications, you are an idiot. Children, especially young children will out of curiosity will unknowingly endanger themselves or others.
I do take exception calling anyone over the age if 17 a child. They are young adults, old enough to serve in the military and to operate a motor vehicle.
In each of these incidents, someone violated common sense. We do not teach firearm safety in the schools cause it may make them gun owners, yet we teach them about sex cause they need to be safe.
Wow

AOL

#10 May 14, 2013
"Former Paratroope r", I think you just hit the nail on the head when you posted, "My opinion is if you do not secure your firearms, car keys,alcohol, cleaning supplies,and medications, you are an idiot". Who with a little bit of common sense would leave these things around where there are children who can get to them? Some very, very dumb or just don't care people.Lock em' up idiots! If something bad happens to your child and you are the one who left those things out and the kids get to them you should be held accountable.You are suppose to be the adult, the kids don't know any better than to grab these things and use them, you, the adult,are there to protect them, they are not mature enough to know not to grab that gun or that bottle of pills, they depend on you to protect them, so do it!
Sam

Fairmont, WV

#11 May 14, 2013
This is what I was hoping for, people using there minds and speaking like adults. I grew up in the country, 10 miles from town, was raised by a retired Seal, and was taught about firearm safety from the first day I can remember. We had many firearms in the house but none of them were within a childs reach & after I got older I knew to not grab one and just start shooting, they were not toys, they were for hunting. Once in a while we would take a few out to target practice with but not very often. I agree with everyone about background checks, making sure gun owners are not "mental cases",& I also belive that a new gun owner should have to go through a training course so they will understand what is going on. Some disagree with me but I do not think that sales or trades between gun owners need to go threw a background check but I do think it should be law that it should all be documented and kept for future refrence, I do that even though its not the law, you never know what may be done with the firearm after it leaves your hands.
It is a start

Fairmont, WV

#12 May 14, 2013
Sam wrote:
This is what I was hoping for, people using there minds and speaking like adults. I grew up in the country, 10 miles from town, was raised by a retired Seal, and was taught about firearm safety from the first day I can remember. We had many firearms in the house but none of them were within a childs reach & after I got older I knew to not grab one and just start shooting, they were not toys, they were for hunting. Once in a while we would take a few out to target practice with but not very often. I agree with everyone about background checks, making sure gun owners are not "mental cases",& I also belive that a new gun owner should have to go through a training course so they will understand what is going on. Some disagree with me but I do not think that sales or trades between gun owners need to go threw a background check but I do think it should be law that it should all be documented and kept for future refrence, I do that even though its not the law, you never know what may be done with the firearm after it leaves your hands.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but I disagree with the background checks. As it stands if a criminal wants a gun the easiest way is through things like "Your Bulletin Board", or Craigslist. Maybe an exception for family would be acceptable though.
Sam

Fairmont, WV

#13 May 14, 2013
The way I sell/trade a firearm is that if they dont look old enough and dont have a picture I.D. that I can write there info about then they dont get the deal that they wanted, I also offer them my I.d. in case they want to copy it down.
It is a start

Fairmont, WV

#14 May 14, 2013
Sam wrote:
The way I sell/trade a firearm is that if they dont look old enough and dont have a picture I.D. that I can write there info about then they dont get the deal that they wanted, I also offer them my I.d. in case they want to copy it down.
But a thirty-five year old felon would show you his ID and then walk away with a gun.
FormerParatroope r

Chicago, IL

#15 May 14, 2013
Wow wrote:
"Former Paratroope r", I think you just hit the nail on the head when you posted, "My opinion is if you do not secure your firearms, car keys,alcohol, cleaning supplies,and medications, you are an idiot". Who with a little bit of common sense would leave these things around where there are children who can get to them? Some very, very dumb or just don't care people.Lock em' up idiots! If something bad happens to your child and you are the one who left those things out and the kids get to them you should be held accountable.You are suppose to be the adult, the kids don't know any better than to grab these things and use them, you, the adult,are there to protect them, they are not mature enough to know not to grab that gun or that bottle of pills, they depend on you to protect them, so do it!
Common sense is the best remedy to any situation. All my children, and my grandchild have been taught at an early age to NEVER touch a firearm, whether at home or away. They also were taught that no firearm is pointed at another person, even a toy firearm. It has worked well, my oldest son went to get my granddaughters BB gun and she told him that he couldn't because Grandpa says she couldn't use it without an adult. Education does work, but you must be a role model.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#16 May 14, 2013
Chicago's homicide rate is down 69% from last year yet 25 people were shot just on Easter weekend and not a peep on Topix about it.

Hmmmmmmm.
Huh

Fairmont, WV

#17 May 15, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
Chicago's homicide rate is down 69% from last year yet 25 people were shot just on Easter weekend and not a peep on Topix about it.
Hmmmmmmm.
What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#18 May 15, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text> What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?
Since thew topic was children being killed, I guess it has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police seek 3 white suspects after 5 people sho... 8 hr TheDonald2016 206
News Prison guard says he fired as he was punched at... 13 hr Elise Gingerich 1
News Black Lives Matter* (Oct '15) Tue Son of Man 1,940
News Third Bandido arrested in motorcycle bar shooting (Dec '14) Mon Grandmother 97
News Ripley, TN woman accused of shooting sleeping h... (Mar '13) May 2 Izzy-_- 53
News Man Accused of Shooting at Rochester Police Off... May 1 Ha Ha 18
News Renewed calls for justice at funeral for man fa... May 1 Hasaun A Lee 2
More from around the web