Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks ...

Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media

There are 66319 comments on the Wall Street Journal story from Mar 22, 2012, titled Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media. In it, Wall Street Journal reports that:

Social media has put the spotlight on the story Trayvon Martin , an unarmed African-American teenager who was shot to death last month by a neighborhood watch captain in Florida.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wall Street Journal.

xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#85489 Jul 7, 2014
Be Truthful Be Free wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try. But you fail miserably.
It's you that failed miserably. Of course I can't respond to your laundry list here, so why don't we address one issue at a time so I can shoot them down more accurately.

Go ahead, make my day..........
TrueWords

Niceville, FL

#85490 Jul 7, 2014
Citizen 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am glad that you finally agree with me about the eventual demise of your party...
As usual, you couldn't be more wrong.......what a loon. For one, I don't have a party....my voter card carries the big I. Since I don't have a party, I could have never disagreed with you about it's demise, eventual or otherwise. Do you never get tired of putting things out there that prove your ignorance and/or IQ deficiency? Which is it?
TrueWords

Niceville, FL

#85491 Jul 7, 2014
<quoted text>
Nice try. But you fail miserably.
Republicans and conservatives have an ongoing war on women NOT because Democrats are saying it. They're having a war on women because of their policies and their actions.
The American people need no confirmation about their shenanigans, as we can see as clear as day what Republicans and conservatives are up to.
When Republicans and conservatives block legislation that benefits women, they're declaring war against them. When Republicans and conservatives step in unison to deny more funding for veterans health care and benefits, they're declaring war on women. Women in the military and spouses of military men continually make sacrifices that many conservatives consider anathema.
When Republicans and conservatives vote to cut funding for the nutritional program for WIC (Women, Infants and Children), to the tune of $9 billion after $11 billion was cut two months prior, they're declaring war on women.(And they SUPPOSEDLY love the children).
When Republicans and conservatives frown upon and block legislation that calls for a modest increase in the minimum wage or when they continually block equal pay for equal work, they declare war on women.(C'mon, Fools. Equal pay for equal work...that's a no-brainer).
When Republicans and conservatives block common sense gun control laws that will keep guns out of the hands of those with violent records, they declare war on women. Women are killed and assaulted because of guns exponentially more than men. Women favor gun control laws overwhelmingly. Republicans and conservatives say "we don't care."
When Republicans and conservatives support voter suppression laws and when they fight tooth and nail against marriage equality, they declare war on women.
When Republicans and conservatives rally around the Blunt Amendment AND when they enact legislation to block women from making decisions about their own bodies AND when they tell women that they know best for them AND that women can shut their bodies down to prevent from being raped, they're declaring war on women.
The Republican/conservative authoritarian mindset pervades Congress and state legislative bodies all across America. Thousands of laws, rules and provisions that pertain to women's reproductive rights are introduced by Republicans/conservatives ad nauseum.
On many other issues, the same authoritarian blueprint is followed by Republicans/conservatives when it comes to issues very much relevant to women.
The Republican war on women is not a figment of the American people's imagination.
The Republican war on women is True. It is Real. It is a Fact. The Republicans and conservatives are the wagers of such war. They practice it daily with their policies and actions.
Please try your damnedest to keep up.
I agree.....the democrats, for at least the time being, have won the battle of the narrative with respect to women. And you, personally, present the best evidence of why that is. Your statement...."women are killed and assaulted because of guns exponentially more than men" is a total falsehood, obvious to even the casual passer-by as a lie (assuming that passer-by has an IQ of 100 and cares). But liberals and democrats are willing to tell that lie, trade their integrity for power, over and over and over....and the media, some of it, is there to assist. The silliest thing I have ever seen someone claim.....laughable, but the democrats make it stick. A large percentage of Americans just don't have the tools to keep up....the dems use them well, lying is what they do, but the republicans have yet to learn how.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1635092
PATRIOT DVC MOLON LABE

Mexico

#85492 Jul 7, 2014
Anybody heard from TrayBgonevon lately??

Since: Apr 12

Truth's Door

#85493 Jul 7, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
It's you that failed miserably. Of course I can't respond to your laundry list here, so why don't we address one issue at a time so I can shoot them down more accurately.
Go ahead, make my day..........
OF COURSE, you can respond to anything you want. You may address any point that I've posted. Take your pick.

If you need help or moral support, perhaps your buddy Freon will come around to hold your hand. Heck, maybe all your pals will give you a hand.

I'm on Truth's (The REAL Truth) side, so y'all won't be too much of a problem for me...As usual.
Grandpa Joe

Harrodsburg, KY

#85494 Jul 7, 2014
The death of Trayvon Martin was a tragedy, no doubt about that. He was one young black man whose life did not have to end so early. I understand how many can be angry. But over the July 4th weekend 84 people were shot in Chicago and 14 of them died. Most were black. Get mad about that. Demand that things change in our cities. Support educational changes. If you are black, encourage young men to marry the girl they impregnate and father the children. Get angry about ganstra rap music that rots the mind of many of our young people. If you have influence over young black kids, help steer them away from gangs. If you are black realize that you and other black Americans are the only ones who effectively combat this problem 84 SHOT. 14 DEAD. This is a blot on America.
Citizen 1

Spokane, WA

#85495 Jul 7, 2014
Be Truthful...

I could not simply reply, because that would shrink your words. You are so right on this one, among others:

"Nice try. But you fail miserably.

Republicans and conservatives have an ongoing war on women NOT because Democrats are saying it. They're having a war on women because of their policies and their actions.

The American people need no confirmation about their shenanigans, as we can see as clear as day what Republicans and conservatives are up to.

When Republicans and conservatives block legislation that benefits women, they're declaring war against them. When Republicans and conservatives step in unison to deny more funding for veterans health care and benefits, they're declaring war on women. Women in the military and spouses of military men continually make sacrifices that many conservatives consider anathema.

When Republicans and conservatives vote to cut funding for the nutritional program for WIC (Women, Infants and Children), to the tune of $9 billion after $11 billion was cut two months prior, they're declaring war on women.(And they SUPPOSEDLY love the children).

When Republicans and conservatives frown upon and block legislation that calls for a modest increase in the minimum wage or when they continually block equal pay for equal work, they declare war on women.(C'mon, Fools. Equal pay for equal work...that's a no-brainer).

When Republicans and conservatives block common sense gun control laws that will keep guns out of the hands of those with violent records, they declare war on women. Women are killed and assaulted because of guns exponentially more than men. Women favor gun control laws overwhelmingly. Republicans and conservatives say "we don't care."

When Republicans and conservatives support voter suppression laws and when they fight tooth and nail against marriage equality, they declare war on women.

When Republicans and conservatives rally around the Blunt Amendment AND when they enact legislation to block women from making decisions about their own bodies AND when they tell women that they know best for them AND that women can shut their bodies down to prevent from being raped, they're declaring war on women.

The Republican/conservative authoritarian mindset pervades Congress and state legislative bodies all across America. Thousands of laws, rules and provisions that pertain to women's reproductive rights are introduced by Republicans/conservatives ad nauseum.

On many other issues, the same authoritarian blueprint is followed by Republicans/conservatives when it comes to issues very much relevant to women.

The Republican war on women is not a figment of the American people's imagination.

The Republican war on women is True. It is Real. It is a Fact. The Republicans and conservatives are the wagers of such war. They practice it daily with their policies and actions.

Please try your damnedest to keep up."

I'm keepin' up B.T.:-)
Citizen 1

Spokane, WA

#85496 Jul 7, 2014
Grandpa Joe wrote:
The death of Trayvon Martin was a tragedy, no doubt about that. He was one young black man whose life did not have to end so early. I understand how many can be angry. But over the July 4th weekend 84 people were shot in Chicago and 14 of them died. Most were black. Get mad about that. Demand that things change in our cities. Support educational changes. If you are black, encourage young men to marry the girl they impregnate and father the children. Get angry about ganstra rap music that rots the mind of many of our young people. If you have influence over young black kids, help steer them away from gangs. If you are black realize that you and other black Americans are the only ones who effectively combat this problem 84 SHOT. 14 DEAD. This is a blot on America.
Interesting Post Joe.
Citizen 1

Spokane, WA

#85497 Jul 7, 2014
Joe:

The first part of your post above resonated with me. But then, half-way through it, you got all, "I'm White, you're Black".

Why did you do that?

By the way, I am White.
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#85498 Jul 7, 2014
Grandpa Joe wrote:
The death of Trayvon Martin was a tragedy, no doubt about that. He was one young black man whose life did not have to end so early. I understand how many can be angry. But over the July 4th weekend 84 people were shot in Chicago and 14 of them died. Most were black. Get mad about that..
What's to get mad about?

These are citizens that vote in liberal Democrats. They have some of the toughest gun restrictions in the country. Why is it a shock that unarmed people who don't have the legal ability to protect themselves get shot and killed?

In NYC, they had a Stop And Frisk law. The new liberal Mayor wanted it stopped because blacks were complaining about the discrimination. That law alone saved countless black lives--maybe in the hundreds. But that didn't matter to liberals and blacks. They want to turn things back to the way they were.

When you make your bed, you have to sleep in it.
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#85499 Jul 7, 2014
<quoted text>
OF COURSE, you can respond to anything you want. You may address any point that I've posted. Take your pick.
If you need help or moral support, perhaps your buddy Freon will come around to hold your hand. Heck, maybe all your pals will give you a hand.
I'm on Truth's (The REAL Truth) side, so y'all won't be too much of a problem for me...As usual.
Fair enough.

The Republican Congress didn't fund the VA:

"Congress has cut funding, has slashed funding, for veterans' benefits over these last years."
Katrina vanden Heuvel on Sunday, May 18th, 2014

"It's an outrage," vanden Heuvel said. "Those who are involved in these longer wait times must be held accountable, prosecuted to the full extent of the law. But I think we need to step back." She continued, "I mean, Congress has cut funding, has slashed funding, for veterans' benefits over these last years. If anyone should be offering their resignation, maybe the Congress should."

Vanden Heuvel's claim is problematic for a pair of reasons.

First, she said "veterans' benefits" -- which include disability payments, pensions, survivor benefits and programs like the G.I. Bill and vocational rehabilitation. Those programs are considered "mandatory spending," which means they’re paid by a statutory formula and are not subject to annual budgetary tinkering by Congress.

What vanden Heuvel meant to refer to -- based on what she told us and the context of her comments -- was spending for the VA health system. Health system spending is considered "discretionary" spending and under the purview of Congress.

But Congress hasn’t "cut" or "slashed funding to the VA health care system. This VA budget summary sheet shows that, far from being "slashed," discretionary spending on the VA has risen each year over the last decade. In fact, on Obama’s watch, the VA’s discretionary budget has risen from $47.8 billion in 2009 to $63.4 in 2014 -- a one-third increase over five years.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statemen...

Next lie please? After all, it's your turn.
TrueWords

Niceville, FL

#85500 Jul 7, 2014
<quoted text>
I took my pick. No hand holding necessary. "Women get killed by guns at a rate exponentially higher than men". Since you won't have a problem, there's little excuse for delay. I'm waiting. After all, I'm calling you a liar.....and all you have to do is show me how women fall to the gun at a rate exponentially higher than men.
TrueWords

Niceville, FL

#85501 Jul 7, 2014
<quoted text>
And the only interesting part, since you being a liar in this regard has already been factually established, is your response. Will it be 1) no response at all, or 2) some bizarre cut at the data, or 3) a standard Huffington Post study that backs up your claim, in spite of reality. Not a person on this planet with an IQ over 75 doesn't know that men get gunned down (sadly) at a rate 2-3 times more than women. But the world is waiting for your disception.........I can hardly wait. Let's hear it.
TrueWords

Niceville, FL

#85502 Jul 7, 2014
Grandpa Joe wrote:
Joe, I respect your thoughts. There's no doubt that those younger pictures of TM showed a kid with a lot of promise. Just as the later pictures and the history showed his decline. The culture is poison, but the leadership in our country isn't going to go there right now. Sort of leaves the average person without a leg to stand on. You say anything about the culture, you're a racist. Just have to wait for better times.....meanwhile, young people will continue to die, while liberals celebrate.
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#85503 Jul 7, 2014
TrueWords wrote:
<quoted text>
And the only interesting part, since you being a liar in this regard has already been factually established, is your response. Will it be 1) no response at all, or 2) some bizarre cut at the data, or 3) a standard Huffington Post study that backs up your claim, in spite of reality. Not a person on this planet with an IQ over 75 doesn't know that men get gunned down (sadly) at a rate 2-3 times more than women. But the world is waiting for your disception.........I can hardly wait. Let's hear it.
People using crime statistics as some sort of "discrimination" argument against a gender is purely disgusting.

But if he/she (or both) wants to take the debate to that level, then what about all the liberal states and cities that forbid women from owning and carrying a firearm for their protection? Is that not a war on women? I think these liberal Democrats have a war on women because they don't want to give them the legal ability to protect themselves.

Of course I know Be Toothfull won't respond to that one. LOL!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#85504 Jul 7, 2014
Arffie the Wonderdog wrote:
Martin was on medication too. Robitussin, ice tea and Skittles.
Guess that equals a can of whoopass!

Truth's Door

#85506 Jul 7, 2014
TrueWords wrote:
<quoted text>
I took my pick. No hand holding necessary. "Women get killed by guns at a rate exponentially higher than men". Since you won't have a problem, there's little excuse for delay. I'm waiting. After all, I'm calling you a liar.....and all you have to do is show me how women fall to the gun at a rate exponentially higher than men.
BOZO, you're the one who challenged me, so YOU prove me wrong.

It's VERY EASY to say something isn't true. It's a little tougher to prove it, isn't it?

I'm not in the habit of doing homework for you or your pals. When you present your so-called evidence to refute my statement, then I will counter it with the Truth.

If you're so sure about yourself, then it would be really easy for you to prove me wrong. Until you do, there will be no other reason for you to reply to me.

And, just to be sure, in case you want to take it out of context, my statement concerning that issue was in regard to American women being subjected to criminal activity within the United States.

So, before you erroneously figure that you have a "gotcha" moment, wars and conflicts being fought around the world wherein men are killed is NOT what was being talked about.

Get busy.

Truth's Door

#85507 Jul 8, 2014
TrueWords wrote:
<quoted text>
And get one thing straight BOZO...

I do not cater to your time frame. I'll respond any time I feel like it or not at all if I don't feel like it.

You just sit and wait for whatever it is I post and whenever it is. You may be used to talking that way to your kids, but it gets you nowhere with me. This thread is not my life as it is for some of you.

There are more important and beautiful things in life than constantly being on this or any thread or blog. So you just sit your azz down and you peruse this thread to your heart's content awaiting ANY response from me.
And, just so your ignorant azz may understand...

SAYING someone is a liar is NOT (and never will be) equal to "factually established". You're such a funny BOZO. But is there any other kind?

Straighten yourself up, BOZO, before I give you a name you're truly deserving of. And go find that so-called evidence to prove yourself right that YOU challenged me on. Don't even think about responding to me until you get that so-called evidence.

There will be NO NEED for any response from me to you until you back up your challenge to me. You talk the talk, now let's see if you can walk the walk.

You might wanna take those shoes off first, though.

HA!

Truth's Door

#85508 Jul 8, 2014
Citizen 1 wrote:
Be Truthful...
I could not simply reply, because that would shrink your words. You are so right on this one, among others:
"Nice try. But you fail miserably.
When Republicans and conservatives block legislation that benefits women, they're declaring war against them. When Republicans and conservatives step in unison to deny more funding for veterans health care and benefits, they're declaring war on women...
When Republicans and conservatives vote to cut funding for the nutritional program for WIC (Women, Infants and Children), to the tune of $9 billion after $11 billion was cut two months prior, they're declaring war on women....
When Republicans and conservatives block common sense gun control laws that will keep guns out of the hands of those with violent records, they declare war on women. Women are killed and assaulted because of guns exponentially more than men. Women favor gun control laws overwhelmingly..
The Republican/conservative authoritarian mindset pervades Congress and state legislative bodies all across America...
Please try your damnedest to keep up."
I'm keepin' up B.T.:-)
I know you are Citizen. That, I can surely count on.

The Whiners and Haters and Racists and other assorted characters on this thread are such a hoot and a holler. I just love slapping them side the head with Truth and Facts.

I never tire of it, but I must not let it consume me. Yet, they are such a great foil. I find it hilarious that such "people" exist.

It is never my intent to persuade or convince them, only to hold Truth to their faces. From there, they can accept it or turn from it.
I got a hearty laugh the other day when the CCF (CUYAHOGA COUNTY FOOL) aka xxxrayted opined that Loopy Limbag is "always right".

Then his pal, the resident professor (aka AOI), basically told him that Loopy is a pile of dog mess feeding dog mess to gullible idiots. The CCF then proceeded to post to me that regardless of their disagreement about Loopy, they are still BFF's.

Apparently, little does he know that it concerns me not one iota who his circle of pals are. It was useless data that I guess he thought I needed to hear, as if I'm his therapist.

He tries his best, though. But he (and his pals) just needs to understand that you just can't battle against Truth and Facts.

Truth's Door

#85510 Jul 8, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough.
The Republican Congress didn't fund the VA:
"Congress has cut funding, has slashed funding, for veterans' benefits over these last years."
Katrina vanden Heuvel on Sunday, May 18th, 2014
"It's an outrage," vanden Heuvel said. "Those who are involved in these longer wait times must be held accountable, prosecuted to the full extent of the law. But I think we need to step back." She continued, "I mean, Congress has cut funding, has slashed funding, for veterans' benefits over these last years. If anyone should be offering their resignation, maybe the Congress should."
Vanden Heuvel's claim is problematic for a pair of reasons.
First, she said "veterans' benefits" -- which include disability payments, pensions, survivor benefits and programs like the G.I. Bill and vocational rehabilitation. Those programs are considered "mandatory spending," which means they’re paid by a statutory formula and are not subject to annual budgetary tinkering by Congress.
What vanden Heuvel meant to refer to -- based on what she told us and the context of her comments -- was spending for the VA health system. Health system spending is considered "discretionary" spending and under the purview of Congress.
But Congress hasn’t "cut" or "slashed funding to the VA health care system. This VA budget summary sheet shows that, far from being "slashed," discretionary spending on the VA has risen each year over the last decade. In fact, on Obama’s watch, the VA’s discretionary budget has risen from $47.8 billion in 2009 to $63.4 in 2014 -- a one-third increase over five years.
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statemen...
Next lie please? After all, it's your turn.
Nope, it's STILL your turn.

You have a problem. It is either a mental problem or a problem of intellectual dishonesty. My guess is that it is both.

You're too funny. You begin your post by refuting a statement made by Ms. Katrina vanden Heuvel. Just so we're on the same page, I'm NOT Ms. Katrina vanden Heuvel.

I am Be Truthful Be Free.

I didn't make her statement. She did. At the top of your post, you wrote...

"The Republican Congress didn't fund the VA"

I NEVER made that statement, nor do I have any use for it. Allow me to help you out. Here's the relevant statement that I made...

"When Republicans and conservatives step in unison to deny more funding for veterans health care and benefits, they're declaring war on women."

Your task was to pick, one at a time, the statements that I (not Ms. Katrina vanden Heuvel) wrote about the Republican/conservative war on women, remember?

One at a time is ok with me, but you go way out in left field and choose someone else's statement and do your best to refute it and then you present it as refuting MY statement. HA HA!!!!

Even you can see the absurdity in that, right? C'mon, man.

BUT, it's not the first time that you've done your best to interject THAT particular post of yours to erroneously and slyly try your best to use it against someone. Remember?

Back on July 1, you posted (post #85373) basically that same post. You were responding to Zazz. The problem then, as is now, neither of us EVER mentioned Ms. Katrina vanden Heuvel AND neither of us ever said what she said.

What's wrong with you?

I'll tell you what I'll do. Because you keep me so amused, I'll give you another opportunity to challenge one of MY statements. A do-over. AGAIN, take your pick.

And after you post, don't go all crazy (like your BOZO pal) about me not responding to you when you want me to. I'll respond according to MY time frame, even if it's days or weeks away...or if at all. I've much more important things in this life than being at your beck and call.

Looks like you need to get busy. But take your time. No rush. Go fishing. Go on vacation.

You may as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Black Lives Matter* (Oct '15) 2 hr Old Surfer Dude 1,880
News Man Accused of Shooting at Rochester Police Off... 3 hr Eddy 5
News Binghamton man charged in 2010 murder on Longa 9 hr Cletus 4
News Maryville man indicted on murder, other charges (Feb '08) 9 hr Gcollins 46
News Mayfield up for parole for 1985 murder (Mar '09) 20 hr Reg Dunbar 969
News Ohio sheriff: - If you are fearful, arm yourself' Wed Bubba 3
News UC, DuBose Family Reach Settlement Tue Pops 33
More from around the web