Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media

Mar 22, 2012 Full story: Wall Street Journal 66,343

Social media has put the spotlight on the story Trayvon Martin , an unarmed African-American teenager who was shot to death last month by a neighborhood watch captain in Florida.

Full Story
CatholicPatriot

Lodi, CA

#66076 Jul 10, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
CCW laws are pretty much the same in most states. Our laws here in Ohio are not that indifferent than Florida which states a victim can use his or her firearm if "they" believe that they (or another) are in jeopardy of serious bodily harm or death. Zimmerman had every reason to believe just that.
No landlord, HOA or others can legally stop you from carrying a firearm if you are licensed by the state to do so. It's illegal if they try.
Zimmerman as a citizen of any community had every right to be armed as provided by the state of Florida laws.
Except in Florida, the Republican legislature reduced the requirement that the person with the firearm must retreat if possible.

That's why we are seeing cases like this where gun owners believe they have the right to pursue and kill unarmed persons. Apparently, hunting humans is now permitted in Florida.
Toby

Portland, OR

#66077 Jul 10, 2013
You all know as well as I do that if Zimmerman's tweets included a friend of Zimmerman warning him that if he kept up the aggression and fighting he might get shot in the chest, that every race baiter in America would have used it against Zimmerman. It would be conclusive proof that Zimmerman had established a pattern of aggression and violence and even bragged about fighting and being a gangsta, if in fact he had said what Trayvon had said in tweets.

Yet when it is Trayvon who bragged about fighting , who bragged about being a gangsta, who posted pictures of himself in gangsta poses and holding a handgun, its not relevant, even when Trayvons friend warned him that his aggression would get him shot, it is not relevant, an unbelievable double standard.
CatholicPatriot

Lodi, CA

#66080 Jul 10, 2013
Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
TM was a thug. He punched GZ in the face because GZ was watching him.
Any questions?
As an adult, I would have stood next to Zimmerman's door to prevent him from getting out. I would be within my rights to do so and it would have been the best way to avoid an altercation, but then I've got plenty of experience preventing situations from escalating.

Of course, I've also taken a beating from 30 men while providing others the opportunity to escape. They charged, I threw the first punch, and then it was all them. The fresh out of the Academy Navy Officers who thought it was necessary to insult them got away unharmed.
LawDog

North Augusta, SC

#66081 Jul 10, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Only after the creepy 17 year old attacked and beat Zimmerman's head into the cement and broke his nose with no indication he was going to stop.
In the American world, we call this self-defense.
Zimmerman picked a fight, then when he started losing, he shot his victim, plain and simple.
If the state would present this fact, it would be a slam dunk.
CatholicPatriot

Lodi, CA

#66082 Jul 10, 2013
Joe Momma wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on down! We don't eat alligators down here. The alligators eat the people.
Are you an enword?
Or just a "creepy ass cracker?"
We actually have a case in Tampa where the concealed weapons permit and gun owner crossed the street to confront some teenagers, got into a confrontation with an adult defending the teenagers, but then the gun owner discovered he forgot to put on his gun before he came across the street, so he disengaged from the confrontation, went back across the street, put on his concealed weapon, came back across the street, reinitiated the confrontation, and then shot the adult in front of his child.

Then he had the gall to claim self defense and that he was in fear for his life. Thank you, Florida legislature.

Maybe we should declare politicians to be an invasive species so we can get rid of them. LOL.
Reality

Lincoln, CA

#66083 Jul 10, 2013
TM has many known thug characteristics. He was a fighter, a twitter punk, and a menace to society overall.

The facts are all there. He was a tragic event in the making.
CatholicPatriot

Lodi, CA

#66084 Jul 10, 2013
Joe Momma wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on down! We don't eat alligators down here. The alligators eat the people.
Are you an enword?
Or just a "creepy ass cracker?"
To the best of my ability, a gentleman, like many black gentlemen I know and many white gentlemen I know.

Of course, we all have our moments.
Justice LRS

Shreveport, LA

#66085 Jul 10, 2013
Be Truthful Be Free wrote:
Where has the time gone? It's been four months since I was last on this thread.
BUT, much more importantly...
Child-killing, crrrrreeeepy, over-fed, under-truthful, non-listening, woman-beating, father-coddled, gun-emboldened, so-called Captain George "Creepy" Zimmerman is one day closer to True Justice!
Do NOT be confused....
True Justice is NOT man's justice. Man's justice is insufficient to carry a child murderer to punishment. Those relying on this jury, this trial, this court, man's justice to see "Creepy" Zimmerman punished for his immoral, evil and nasty deeds will be left still wanting.
ONLY True Justice will be able to confer with Truth and Consequences to deal "Creepy" Zimmerman his rightful place at the feet of Punishment. True Justice will deal with "Creepy" Zimmerman, and all child murderers (convicted and non-convicted).
The outcome of this trial is irrelevant when it comes to True Justice having her day.
When True Justice has her day, "Creepy" Zimmerman's day will be a day of woe, a day of teeth-gnashing, a day of regret, a day of undeniable sorrow.
Woe be to the murderers of children!
She's coming for you too. True justice, that is. When you judge, you're trespassing on God's area! Hmmmm.
American Lady

Danville, KY

#66086 Jul 10, 2013
Justice LRS wrote:
What happened to a fair trial in this country?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/10/di...
DOJ sends secret “peacekeepers” where Trayvon Martin was killed
Last Updated: July 10, 2013

The peacekeepers also met with officials of the Republican National Convention, scheduled for several months later in Tampa, to warn them to expect protests in connection with Martin’s death.

CRS employee spent $1,142.84 to travel to Sanford, Florida from March 25-28, 2012 “to work marches, demonstrations, and rallies”;
CRS employee spent $751.60 to travel to Sanford, Florida from March 30-April 1, 2012 “to provide technical assistance to the City of Sanford, event organizers, and law enforcement agencies for the march and rally on March 31”;
CRS employee spent $1,307.40 to travel to Sanford, Florida from April 3-12, 2012 “to provide technical assistance, conciliation, and onsite mediation during demonstrations planned in Sanford”;
CRS employee spent $672.24 to travel to Tampa, Florida from April 18-20, 2012 “to meet with RNC official related to possible protests and demonstrations during the RNC”
In response to a Florida Sunshine Law request to the City of Sanford, Judicial Watch also obtained an audio recording of a “community meeting” held at Second Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church in Sanford on April 19, 2012. The meeting, which opens with a gospel hymn and organ music, is reported to have led to the official ouster of Sanford’s Police Chief Bill Lee. A week earlier, a group calling themselves the “Dream Defenders” had barricaded the entrance to the police department demanding he be fired for failing to file murder charges against Zimmerman. The church meeting produced a nine-point plan, the main demand being the firing of Chief Lee.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/bulletins/doj-se...
Justice LRS

Shreveport, LA

#66090 Jul 10, 2013
American Lady wrote:
<quoted text>
DOJ sends secret “peacekeepers” where Trayvon Martin was killed
Last Updated: July 10, 2013
The peacekeepers also met with officials of the Republican National Convention, scheduled for several months later in Tampa, to warn them to expect protests in connection with Martin’s death.
CRS employee spent $1,142.84 to travel to Sanford, Florida from March 25-28, 2012 “to work marches, demonstrations, and rallies”;
CRS employee spent $751.60 to travel to Sanford, Florida from March 30-April 1, 2012 “to provide technical assistance to the City of Sanford, event organizers, and law enforcement agencies for the march and rally on March 31”;
CRS employee spent $1,307.40 to travel to Sanford, Florida from April 3-12, 2012 “to provide technical assistance, conciliation, and onsite mediation during demonstrations planned in Sanford”;
CRS employee spent $672.24 to travel to Tampa, Florida from April 18-20, 2012 “to meet with RNC official related to possible protests and demonstrations during the RNC”
In response to a Florida Sunshine Law request to the City of Sanford, Judicial Watch also obtained an audio recording of a “community meeting” held at Second Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church in Sanford on April 19, 2012. The meeting, which opens with a gospel hymn and organ music, is reported to have led to the official ouster of Sanford’s Police Chief Bill Lee. A week earlier, a group calling themselves the “Dream Defenders” had barricaded the entrance to the police department demanding he be fired for failing to file murder charges against Zimmerman. The church meeting produced a nine-point plan, the main demand being the firing of Chief Lee.
http://www.judicialwatch.org/bulletins/doj-se...
And this is what we're "paying" our elected officials for? I don't think so. I mean, let's call it what it is, "crooked as hell"! This government no longer knows its place. Thanks all to our IIC!

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#66091 Jul 10, 2013
LawDog wrote:
<quoted text>
Zimmerman picked a fight, then when he started losing, he shot his victim, plain and simple.
If the state would present this fact, it would be a slam dunk.
The problem is that they would need evidence to support this claim.

I know of none, do you have some super secret evidence that even the prosecutor could not find?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#66092 Jul 10, 2013
Toby wrote:
What I have been emphasizing for months now, that if the black leaders who are so outraged by the death of Martin, would really care that 15 blacks are murdered every day in America by other blacks their words would have credibility. Yet they never demonstrate or protest about the black on black carnage that occurs everyday in America. Since Trayvon Martin died there has been over 7,000 African Americans murdered by other African Americans, not an issue of substance to the disingenuous black civil rights leaders who are so vehemently outraged at Martins death.
Exactly.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#66094 Jul 10, 2013
JBH wrote:
SOME people SEEM TO THINK WITH ENTITLEMENT IN THIS WORLD OF EVERYTHING, WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT THE COMPLEX REALITY AND THE REAL WORLD ARE.
That is simply your problem because you still run and live in the old times of wild west and Mafia slings.
While you call yourselves having the best law schools, either they teach you not to know stands of today's world about what is called LAWS AND RULES, or you are just entrapped inside without knowing any clarity, or you seem to feel silly, or want to get high by naming any moves to take the Snowden case, as that feels better with heads feeling the excitement of calling selves Superpower.
What makes you think that you can do by engaging violations without asking your law professors first, by trying to do whatever--from telling Spain that Snowden was on an airplane (yet whether it was true Snowden was on board was immaterial, but he was not there) going to Bolivia?
Because Bolivia is a small country and not as Russia and China, you dared to make that move. To, any small country or big country if you do the wrong, what wrong is all wrong, disorderly and unlawful.
Whether you invaded Iraq as a small country or Brazil as a bigger country, and if they are of violations, it is all the same.
Your acts are illicit and reckless to tell other countries not to accept Snowden, but it breaks the rules to create International disorder and chaos to want and attempt to do something to stop or get Snowden if he is on his way to any country accepting him for asylum. Your hangup and uptight ways reflect as little people playing fouls and your shortness of any reasoning logic based on the International Accord and ruling.
What you think as asking where Snowden is, indicates your entrapping of radicalism in the crazy pursuit without knowing this world's civilization, by saying your have the entitlement to keep on to know where he is to get Snowden back.
Sometimes the world allows no more radicalism as there are ends, just like the end of a movie.
Understand the modern way of life is such that besides values, philosophies, judgment, rules and justice, many different and systems, boundaries and International laws, once a person or something is out, it might never be in and back again to you.
Then there is some ends to it, yet learn what are stands of rules--once your ex-spouse left you , you might not see and hear him/her again and the world might not let you keep on trying to find out your ex any more, even you try to break boundaries and rules to get in trouble.
While it is everybody's world, your keeping on saying where Snowden is, could be the silly extremists as how you think, that might break one hundred regulations and rules under International modern ruling, because your wild west dreams in the slings of getting excitedly high, to materialize your mentalities that you think you are still a Superpower, rather as the little people with no ego or face, by exhibiting breaking any accord and ruling stand with no regard to rules of law in this universe.
OFF TOPIC
CatholicPatriot

Lodi, CA

#66097 Jul 10, 2013
Joe Momma wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't about politics this is about a lynch mob who is out to hang an innocent man, and you're part of it. An overwhelming amount of people now believe that George Zimmerman is not guilty.
Now that all is said and done, it's clear that the State never had a case against George, which is why in fact he was never going to be charged until Sharpton got involved.
I fell sorry for you, you are either a coward or naive, or a racist enword, which would pretty much wrap it up.
Your evasion is noteworthy.
This "creepy ass cracker" don't play your racist games.
I have maintained all along that he went to far and should be charged and prosecuted. Zimmerman's own words to the dispatcher prove he is guilty, not innocent.

I would have charged him with assault, got that conviction, then charged him with murder. We would be having multiple trials.

During the most critical part of the investigation, the hours after it occurred, the police department didn't just drop the ball, they allowed critical evidence to be destroyed and made no attempt to contact Martin's next of kin. The cover up began immediately.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#66099 Jul 10, 2013
Bottom line zimmerman followed martin based on profiling-manslaughter 2 guilty!
CatholicPatriot

Lodi, CA

#66100 Jul 10, 2013
Joe Momma wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't about politics this is about a lynch mob who is out to hang an innocent man, and you're part of it. An overwhelming amount of people now believe that George Zimmerman is not guilty.
Now that all is said and done, it's clear that the State never had a case against George, which is why in fact he was never going to be charged until Sharpton got involved.
I fell sorry for you, you are either a coward or naive, or a racist enword, which would pretty much wrap it up.
Your evasion is noteworthy.
This "creepy ass cracker" don't play your racist games.
Race has never been a consideration in this matter for me.

There is no evidence at all to suggest Zimmerman truly was in fear for his life. Quite the contrary, he pursued Martin and made no attempt to get away. In contrast, Martin tried to get away and Zimmerman pursued him in his vehicle preventing Martin from getting away.

Zimmerman is clearly guilty.
Toby

Portland, OR

#66102 Jul 10, 2013
Just in the bible belt back several years ago, some black murderer killed three white women and even admitted he killed them because they were white, no threats of riot from the white community, little outrage, very little media coverage. Can you imagine if the killer would have been a white man shooting black women, it would have been a riot marathon throughout the country.

The killer who killed the three white women was Nkosi Thandiwe, and do you remember the white boy named Allen Goin who was caught on fire by two black boys , they even said while they caught him on fire with gasoline , "this is what you get white boy" no social outrage, very little media attention, no threats of riot of civil unrest.

“Heart is still in Meriden!”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#66105 Jul 10, 2013
The trial is almost done. The verdict will be read and it will be done. What the public does after that is anyone's guess.

If the not guilty verdict in the casey anthony trial is any indication though not much will happen.

What I do not understand is this. How in the world do we all come together after 911 and stand as one against the attackers? We are like a family that argues with each other but no outsider had better attack one of us because we will unite and break it off in your terrorist butt. I grew up hating black people. I was taught by my father as this was what he was taught by his father. Serving in the Army I learned to think for myself and no longer hate black people. Now I just do not like stupid people, no matter their color or creed, whatever!

I do seriously feel if any one race needs to be concerned about inequities it is the Black person. But know this, there are white people that want to support black people in their struggle. As with blacks, not all of think the same. Peace perhaps?
serfs up

Ormond Beach, FL

#66106 Jul 10, 2013
CatholicPatriot wrote:
<quoted text>
Race has never been a consideration in this matter for me.
There is no evidence at all to suggest Zimmerman truly was in fear for his life. Quite the contrary, he pursued Martin and made no attempt to get away. In contrast, Martin tried to get away and Zimmerman pursued him in his vehicle preventing Martin from getting away.
Zimmerman is clearly guilty.
When people are lied to over and over by others, they end up not believing anymore. Race is a consideration to you as this elitist fabrication by the enlightened ones of hate has done its job to destroy a man with his right of "innocent to proven guilty". If he goes to jail, he will suffer for the perceived racism. If he goes free, he will have to make changes in his life. So to the haters like Jaime Foxx, Spike Lee, Sharpton anf Jackson< and the president....go to hell. And they will. Perhaps you will experience that someday. Say ten Our Father's, ten Hail Mary's and an Act of contrition.

“The Truth Can Hurt:”

Since: Jul 11

Central Florida

#66107 Jul 10, 2013
my two cents wrote:
<quoted text>Martin was a criminal. Thank you Mr. Zimmerman for standing up to these "people" and letting them know that nobody's afraid of them anymore.
The parents of this dead piece of garbage should be sued for putting Mr. Zimmerman through this.
Just for the RECORD; Trayvon Martin had NO Criminal Record ... BUT: wannabe cop, George Zimmerman ..an adult ... DID have a Criminal Record .. look it up ...

Ya' need to do some RESEARCH before you post you own thoughts ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayfield up for parole for 1985 murder (Mar '09) 16 min Update One 924
Two Charged In Home Invasion Robbery and Rape (Aug '10) 28 min butthed 168
Jacksonville discusses 'Race in the River City'... 2 hr reality is a crutch 1
Teen Girl Fatally Shot by Cops at Texas Police ... 7 hr KIG 3
Nation briefs: Cheney, Gonzales indicted in pri... (Nov '08) 12 hr swedenforever 539
Arrests in Hayward shooting that left 2 teens dead (May '10) 15 hr DaisyAvila 24
Stanley Dishon expected to take plea deal in co... 15 hr spartan 13
More from around the web