2 dead in shooting after crash in SW Missouri town

Mar 29, 2008 Full story: The Associated Press 19

“He shot. There was gunfire and smoke. I was shaking so bad, it was horrible. I could not believe what I was seeing”

A driver involved in a crash shot to death a man who stopped to offer help, then opened fire on a police officer before he was killed by the injured officer, authorities said.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol said Joseph M. Rich, 55, of Aurora, stopped to help after seeing an accident between a sport utility vehicle and a pickup at the intersection of Route ZZ and a local street Friday afternoon.

The patrol said the gunman, Jesse Miller, 30, of Marionville, shot Rich, then walked along the road toward Marionville with a shotgun in hand as Marionville police officer Andy Clark approached in his patrol car. Read more

Full Story
Marilyn

Lakeside, OR

#1 Mar 30, 2008
How many lives do you suppose Officer Clark saved? A local hero for sure.
kevin

Cameron, MO

#2 Mar 31, 2008
big mike was a great guy. he will be missed around here.
George Emerson

Davis, CA

#3 Mar 31, 2008
kevin wrote:
big mike was a great guy. he will be missed around here.

he was a good friend of mine, and will be greatly missed
George Emerson

Davis, CA

#4 Mar 31, 2008
he was a good friend of my and will be greatly missed.
Truth Hurts

United States

#5 Apr 1, 2008
Quote from Council person Kaye Leffingwell,"There is no crime in Marionville." Quote from Councilman TC Corning,"We don't need these police because Marionville is like Mayberry." Are you aware that Leffingwell went to the police station daily to tell the chief and officers she didn't vote for them and didn't want them there. Are you aware that she publically humiliated the Chief regularly at council meetings,until he left. Are you aware that Mayor Candidate Arensmeyer filed dozens of privacy requests on the police chief to harrass him,threated to use his,"KC lawyer" to sue him if he didn't approve of the responses,and carried a picture of the police chief and his family around,taken in church,and showed it to people and made derogatory remarks.
friend of hero

Springfield, MO

#6 Apr 1, 2008
ofiicer clark is also a firefighter here and he his a hero.if he had not been there who knows what would have happened.i think he should get a medal of valor I also feel for the friends and family of big mike from what i hear he was a great person and artist and may he rest in peace.
Used to live there

Show Low, AZ

#7 Apr 3, 2008
Hey Truth Hurts: Sounds like the regular ol' crap from the city government down there. I hate to say it, but even this will not shut their mouths. They know the police have more direct power than them and they dont like it one bit. I always wondered why Aurora didnt swallow up the town anyway. At least they have had a police department for year, all be it controversial. If it had been a counselman to pull up on that accident and get shot I'm sure action would be taken. But get ready for more of the same from the poor indegents that run that town.
Carol Jones

Cameron, MO

#8 Apr 4, 2008
There is something about this that doesn't meet the eye. Aurora , MO
honored citizen

United States

#9 Apr 4, 2008
Thank you Officer Clark for protecting our town and handling the situation in the manner you did. I believe because of your heroism that you may have saved many other lives and/or injuries to other! THANK YOU FOR A JOB WELL DONE!!!!
susan

Cameron, MO

#10 Apr 10, 2008
CRAZY THAT SOMETHING LIKE THIS COULD HAPPEN CLEARLY THE MAN WAS NOT IN A STATE OF MIND AND HAS ISSUES NEEDED HELP. THANK GOD FOR THE OFFICER THERE MAY HAVE BEEN MORE BLOOD SHED IF HE DID NOT DO HIS JOB .
FRIENDS OF MIKE

United States

#11 Apr 10, 2008
"MIKE" IS THE TRUE HERO HERE. A MAN WITH A HEART OF GOLD WHO WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR ANYBODY. TRYING TO HELP SOMEONE IN NEED AND HIS LIFE IS TAKEN IN THE PROCESS. HE WILL BE TRULY MISSED BY ALL HIS FRIENDS IN NEIGHBORING TOWNS AND THE TATTOO WORLD. MAY GOD HOLD A SPECIAL PLACE FOR YOU MY FRIEND!
Willard

Bossier City, LA

#12 Oct 16, 2009
Carol Jones wrote:
There is something about this that doesn't meet the eye. Aurora , MO

A lot that will never be explained. The cop did not have to shoot to kill.
Mike

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#13 Oct 23, 2009
Willard wrote:
<quoted text>
But was perfectly justified in doing so.
Ozarkian

Murphysboro, IL

#14 Oct 26, 2009
Willard wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me see, he had already killed one person and shot another. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that 'shoot to kill' was the appropriate strategy.
Mike

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#15 Oct 30, 2009
Ozarkian wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me see, he had already killed one person and shot another. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that 'shoot to kill' was the appropriate strategy.
Exactly. The taser just doesn't fit into the equation anymore.
Ozarkian

Murphysboro, IL

#16 Dec 2, 2009
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. The taser just doesn't fit into the equation anymore.
I like it when there are practical common sense people online. Good call Mike.
pigsticker

United States

#17 Jul 31, 2011
Don't brag on killer cops.
Hsh

Granada Hills, CA

#18 Nov 9, 2013
This horrible man Jesse was my step dad I'm so glad he's dead he did so many horrible things rip big mike (my uncle) foreverrrrr in my heart<3 I have avoided this story for about 5 yrs now reading it it brings back so many bad memories and no this is not a troll.
concerned

Lamar, MO

#19 Nov 13, 2013
yes hsh jesse was horrible..i still remember when he repeatedly raped you and nobody said or did anything..i hhope your dealing with it better..one drunk drugged night he asked me if I wanted to join the rape and although i really wanted to I didn't..i thought I had a better chance at uyou alone...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Third Bandido arrested in motorcycle bar shooting 7 hr Joe snuffy 2
Six Shootings in 12 Hours Leave One Dead, Many ... 7 hr Shawn45644 2
Murder trial gets underway in Blytheville 8 hr EEG 6
4 mothers share pain of losing sons 12 hr Calvin Ralls 7
LAPD to buy 7,000 body cameras 15 hr Dubya Tee Eff 12
Nas and Russell Simmons demand justice for... 15 hr crush white LIARS 5
Vigil for slain teen held in Paterson 23 hr candy 2
More from around the web