Leroy Cortes of Greenfield dead, Luis Rivera of Holyoke charged with murder in Holyoke shooting

There are 20 comments on the MassLive.com story from Sep 13, 2010, titled Leroy Cortes of Greenfield dead, Luis Rivera of Holyoke charged with murder in Holyoke shooting. In it, MassLive.com reports that:

HOLYOKE - A Greenfield man is dead and a Holyoke man faces murder and other charges after a shooting and daytime foot-chase of a gun-toting man occurred in the Flats on Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MassLive.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
44center 44

Holyoke, MA

#1 Sep 14, 2010
My heart goes out to da victim....bt also to luis! no one knos him how us in flats do!! this is not like him at all...i dont understand, such a kind man! Negative comments aren't necessary at all...if u dont kno him,dont critisize him please!!!
holyoke413

Holyoke, MA

#2 Sep 14, 2010
to those who keep bringing his mom in this situation.. ya need to let his mom rest in peace.. and yes its true no one does not know him like we do in the flats.. he was always a down to earth guy always trying to do something positive with his life.. to those who REALLY!!!!!!!!! dont know wat went on, shush it and dont critisize.. love u luis..
Jay

Falmouth, ME

#4 Sep 15, 2010
So true...I love Luis to death...He was my homeboy in school and was always up for just having a good time...People are talking to much without even knowing what really went on...Idk if it was the dust or what but he just was not him self that day.
Janice

New York, NY

#5 Sep 15, 2010
Dust or no Dust...at the end of the day a little boy is left to grow up without his father because of a senseless act of violence. We all love people in this world and never really know what they are capable of and in this case the evidence is clear that he commited murder to a young man whos son may never really remember him because he is so young. A mother is left to grieve her son. Cant wait until he gets what he deserves.
Sonny DeMaio

AOL

#7 Sep 15, 2010
u no whats funny everybody talking shit when nobody really new nobody. i knew leroy he had his ways but he was not a real street guy. i no because i am a real street guy. and when i get close to someone i can smell it. Leroy did not have that smell. he was a lost kid. i am old enough to be his father and we spoke about life alot. he wanted so bad to be a good father to his son not to long ago he was in brooklyn working in Barger King. He took little jobs like that to make his life better. R.I.P Leroy I will do everything in my powers to make sure your son has his fair chance in life. God Bless bro I'll C U soon
44Htown

Westfield, MA

#8 Sep 16, 2010
One thing HE did not cam to BYE candy
RIP Leroy

Greenfield, MA

#9 Sep 16, 2010
He didn't go out there to buy anything u idiot! He went out there to chill with his so called boys who live out there!!! They were in the car probally smoking blunt!
Sammy

Allentown, PA

#10 Sep 16, 2010
R.I.P. Leroy Cortes We will keep ur memory alive cuz i will see u on the other side.
MIA

Delray Beach, FL

#11 Sep 16, 2010
rip papa u r missed
Evelyn

Jamaica, NY

#12 Sep 16, 2010
How can people not put negative comments about luis on here? No I did not know him,But I knew leroy and I know the mother of his child. You people weren't at his memorial you people didn't see what I saw. She was completely heart broken and im crying just writing this she is and always will be my best friend. I love her like a sister,and I know how much she loved leroy.You people just have to put yourselves in her shoes. He left a 5 yr old boy behind,leroy wasn't the type to get into problems he didnt deserve this neither did his son or the mother...R.I.P leroy, your in a better place now <3
Cortes Family

Carteret, NJ

#14 Sep 22, 2010
We really do know Leroy Cortes, he is part of our flesh. We would really want to know what happened. Why, why, why? Does anybody knows? At the end of the day nobody knows nothing. What's up with Leroy's friend who was in the car..........doesn't he knows what happened. We are left empty handed without Leroy and left to pray for the one who took his life..so that God may have mercy on him for man doesn't have any mercy at all.. Leroy we love you and we know that you are sitting at God's right hand side. And you are being missed. Better there than here..This world needs to stop all the nonsense out there.. We need to draw near to God and let God take charge of our lives. Stop all this violence killing each other instead of loving each other which is the first commandment "Love thy neighbor like yourself". If you don't love yourself there is no space to love anyone else..It's true nobody not even us know what happened but God does and he will take charge of the situation.. We have nothing against anybody but we pray for that God take control of the situation and all the killings in the world..I sat here looking for information on Leroy and I was sadden to read of so many shootings going on in Holyoke and Massachusetts. Something is wrong. RIP Leroy we love you and forever you will live in our heart and memories..
RIP LEROY_3

Fayette, MO

#15 Sep 23, 2010
yo for those who are talking trash saying that Luis is a good guy and blah blah blah f**ck that who cares he took the life of my cuz away n he need to pay somehow! our family is very hurt with this situation n Leroy dint deserve die like this! plus he was doing his best to give his son a better future, u guys are a bunch of ignorant but i ask u if this punk kill one of the members of your family will u keep saying that he was a good guy? yea think about it because he kill a human not a animal! plus Leroy was dealing with a lot of problems... this Luis guy need to pay for what he did is all I have to say! R.I.P Leroy Cortes love you lil cuz!
chris

United States

#16 Sep 28, 2010
I grew up with luis he was my best friend He loved sports when we played other neighborhoods we were unstopable we went to kindergarden together I have pictures he use to get mad at me for drinking and smoking he would not talk to me this was not chanel I knew what he did was not right but just like you guys love leroy we love him to none of us knew this was going to happen and all I have to say is I love you chanel not to forget he taught me how to draw. I will always be there for you no matter what CHRISTO
Annette Leroys mom

Jamaica, NY

#17 Oct 1, 2010
No one really knows leroy like me I'm his mom. Leroy was a happy kid with a big heart and always thought of others before himself. He had big dreams in life but unfortunely wasnt able to accomplish them. He was a family man and loved his son more then anything in the world. We are not perfect everyone makes mistakes and no one has the right to take leroys life in that horrible way. Leroy was my baby and he will always be. I hope Luis Rivera is brought to justice for taking my son away from me. So everyone please stop having sympathy for luis because he is alive and his family is able to see him. I will never see my son again because of him. Eventhough leroy is not around I will always remember his beautiful smile and love that he shared with me his son, brother and family. Rip Leroy Cortes Mami loves you.
Erika

Aguada, Puerto Rico

#18 Oct 31, 2010
Hey, im shocked i came to find out how Leroy died....I couldnt believe it...It seemed like just yesterday i shared good times with him! He didnt deserve what happened to him! He didnt deseve it all! I dnt even want to imagine how it happened, it breaks my heart every time i think it to myself that he isreally gone. We had go times..He was always good a keeping smiles on my face. He was a great guy and really loved his son to the max!...all he would talk about was his son. He was a great friend that will always livein my heart! I hope that Luis will ask God to forgive him from the heart and that he recognizes the harm he did killed a life, destroyed a family, and hurt many over nonsense...I grief for our lost Leroy Cortes...Te quiero mucho y R.I.P nunca te olvidare y todos los momentos that we all had! e honestly wasnt a street guy...he had friends that tended to be street but that just wasnt Leroy's swagg...he was a humble one like his mom said a man of his family! Member when i would go at itwth my family he would take me outside calm me down and talk to y family and say, his exact words "just calm down Erika dont pay mind, your fam love you, we all just want a good for you"....man i miss you Leroy! TKM! Justice will not only be don but it will also take its place, why leroy???...why him out of all the ones that were in that car?
RIP leroy

Holyoke, MA

#19 Nov 17, 2010
to the fam. im sorry for your loss! you guys are a strong family that love eachother just keep your head up! hes in a better place and hes always gon be watching over his seed! god bless you all!
gbaby

Springfield, MA

#20 Nov 19, 2010
luis gon get whut he deserve he took the life of my best friend. leroy andt neva did nothin to deserve tha death he got. channin was dum and dusted,,and wanted ta spazz. saddest day his fam and friends eva saw...his bro my best friend as well, if yu seen tha pain i seen his fam endure you would have a lil different outlook. I LOVE YOU LEROY!!! r.i.p.
Ammie aguiar

Brooklyn, NY

#21 Dec 1, 2010
I love Leroy with all my heart and soul. He was my best friend in Newtown high school, we had so much fun just him making me laugh and smile and always bringing my soul back when I was down, we talked about everything girls, guys, problems, life etc. He may not have done his work in class but I always helped him out in his work or test, I remember he would go through all the trouble to write a note get it through the whole class just for one answer on a test lol Leroy would wait for me at the door of my nexts class just trying to catch up on our convo's When he had girl problems lol,,
We took the bus together home all he would do is talk about life and music and make soo many jokes with his smile!!
>> and the last time I remember him, when he came to my job at the mall in the summer with his girlfriend and when I saw that smile all I could remember was when we were in high school all his jokes and smiles and him getting me in trouble ; )
I'm going to miss him soo much he was my best male friend love you Leroy <3
unknown

Jamaica, NY

#22 Dec 6, 2010
wow i cant believe ur gone. i was just on some1s page and seen it i am spechless i cantt believe you was never a street guy. you was a loving peron just wanted to see people happy and always make them smile i'mm gonna miss you the last time i saw you was at the coroner of my house about a year ago and you looked great. rip leroy i'll bee praying for your family.
44center 44 wrote:
My heart goes out to da victim....bt also to luis! no one knos him how us in flats do!! this is not like him at all...i dont understand, such a kind man! Negative comments aren't necessary at all...if u dont kno him,dont critisize him please!!!
Angie

Franklin, TN

#23 Mar 6, 2011
Janice wrote:
Dust or no Dust...at the end of the day a little boy is left to grow up without his father because of a senseless act of violence. We all love people in this world and never really know what they are capable of and in this case the evidence is clear that he commited murder to a young man whos son may never really remember him because he is so young. A mother is left to grieve her son. Cant wait until he gets what he deserves.
because of luis i lost one real true friend. i knew leroy for a long time, he was one of my good friends throughout high school. he was such a great loving guy. he never hurt anybody, he was always happy. i really hope luis gets what he deserves! thank you for all that you said

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Breakup may have led to Bridgeport homicide 6 min American Gentlema... 1
News Details of dispute leading to Torrance murder-s... (Aug '10) 2 hr Julio the Artist 83
News One Dead In Drive-By Shooting On Detroit's West... 5 hr reality is a crutch 3
News Urgently Needed: A Public Jobs Program 7 hr Citizen44 7
News Officer: Shooting at Muhammad cartoon contest i... 15 hr Tazo 6
News Tamir Rice's mother, family lawyer speak in Cle... 19 hr Burbs 1
News NYPD officer shooting suspect arraigned, office... 21 hr Cordwainer Trout 4
More from around the web