Karen Nolan: Let's get real about suicide

Full story: The Reporter

It's no secret that Americans have an aversion to dealing with death. We don't like to talk about it, much less plan for our own inevitable demise.
Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Feb 7, 2013

Since: Aug 10

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

I don't see the problem here. First off, if the aging male blows his head off he is doing his part to save social security and Medicare. Secondly, isn't it better to have a guy blow his own head off rather than jumping off a freeway overpass causing a massive accident. That claims the lives f numerous innocent victims?

Hey Karen, since you have lots of time to research statistics how about reporting on how many rapes, murders, burglaries, home invasions, car jackings, etc were prevented or curtailed because a law abiding citizen was armed and thwarted the criminal aggression.

I wait for your response, but I think I'll here crickets instead.
A Thought

Vacaville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

AHhhhhh, the sound of silence... it's quite deafening..........
Karen

Vacaville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Birds Landing Bob wrote:
I don't see the problem here. First off, if the aging male blows his head off he is doing his part to save social security and Medicare. Secondly, isn't it better to have a guy blow his own head off rather than jumping off a freeway overpass causing a massive accident. That claims the lives f numerous innocent victims?
Hey Karen, since you have lots of time to research statistics how about reporting on how many rapes, murders, burglaries, home invasions, car jackings, etc were prevented or curtailed because a law abiding citizen was armed and thwarted the criminal aggression.
I wait for your response, but I think I'll here crickets instead.
Those statistics show few if any rapes, murders, burglaries, home invasions, or car jackings were prevented by owning a gun. Getting the guns out of homes with emotionally vulnerable people will prevent deaths and allow family members to get help.
A Thought

Vacaville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Karen wrote:
<quoted text>Those statistics show few if any rapes, murders, burglaries, home invasions, or car jackings were prevented by owning a gun. Getting the guns out of homes with emotionally vulnerable people will prevent deaths and allow family members to get help.
You're wrong. When a person in ready to commit suicide, they will usually chose a method they are comfortable with. Men do tend to use guns and women tend to overdose; however, once the choice to do so is made, a method will be easily found. Gun or not.
Steve

Castro Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Karen wrote:
<quoted text>Those statistics show few if any rapes, murders, burglaries, home invasions, or car jackings were prevented by owning a gun. Getting the guns out of homes with emotionally vulnerable people will prevent deaths and allow family members to get help.
Nice try Jerry but no cigar.

Since: Aug 10

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Steve wrote:
<quoted text>Nice try Jerry but no cigar.
Exactly what I was thinking. If Karen were to respond, which I'm sure she won't, she would use her registered account.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Violent Crime Forum right now

Search the Violent Crime Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Teen's Shooting Highlights Racial Tension 10 min Cordwainer Trout 633
Credibility concerns in Missouri shooting probe 55 min Chicopee 11
Protesters, police clash again after teen shot 1 hr LadyLove 24
Two survive shooting Sunday in King CityTwo sur... 1 hr kcbornandraised 1
Nixon: Ferguson police were 'aggressive' 2 hr James 26
1 dead, 1 wounded in Baldwin Park shooting (Nov '12) 3 hr EMF GANG 102
Never an excuse for shooting unarmed suspects, ... 4 hr guest 5
•••
•••