A survivor's tale: Twist in Pico Rive...

A survivor's tale: Twist in Pico Rivera family massacre case br...

There are 64 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Aug 29, 2009, titled A survivor's tale: Twist in Pico Rivera family massacre case br.... In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

On July 21, 2000, Sylvia Flores awoke when she felt the bed moving up and down. She thought there was an earthquake then heard her husband say something.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
family friend

San Francisco, CA

#1 Aug 29, 2009
FRIDAY....many didn't want to remember what happened on July 21,2000, but at least that monster will never be released from prison for the horrific act she committed.
Rob

Norwalk, CA

#2 Aug 29, 2009
That an appeals court overturned a life sentence in a horrific crime with gruesome special circumstances is in itself, a miscarriage of justice.
Espie Flores

United States

#3 Aug 29, 2009
No mom your my hero! I am a strong individual because I was raised by Richard and Sylvia Flores! The best parents any child can be blessed to have! We will continue to be strong and overcome the obstacles that may be put in our path, because we are lucky enough to have 4 wonderful guardian angels watching over us, guiding us & protecting us. We are also blessed with great friends and family who are always there in our time of need. Thank you! Keep the FLORES family memory alive in our thoughts and in our hearts!
Sinoe Elisaldez

United States

#4 Aug 30, 2009
Espie and Sylvia, you are both strong willed and brave women and my prayers are with the both of you. And Espie is right no matter what, you have 4 guardian angles around you at all times. Stay strong and know you will alway be my friends and family.
Whittier Resident-21

Whittier, CA

#5 Aug 30, 2009
I am without words regarding the events of that sad evening. My prayers go out to you, Ms. Flores and your daughter. I am not capable of even beginning to imagine the strength and courage that you have had to call upon these last years. I hope that one day you find true solace in your life. No words...
El Rancho Class of 98

Downey, CA

#6 Aug 30, 2009
I remember when this happened and the entire community came out and supported them at their fundraiser.. People lined up the streets from all over as if a President had died. It was amazing and moving to see. Even My buddy from work who lives in Whittier went by and donated to the family. I hope Sylvia will continue to heal at her pace, and i hope they know that this community "Has their backs".
Espie Flores

Daly City, CA

#7 Aug 30, 2009
Thank you all for your kind words, support and prayers! It means the world to my mother and I. I pray to god that no one ever has to endure this type of hardship.
Pico Man

Downey, CA

#8 Aug 30, 2009
I wonder if Sylvia is back to work. In other words, how has her life been financially without her husband over the past 9 years? Does she need financial help? I'm curious.
Friend of the Family

Daly City, CA

#9 Aug 30, 2009
It has been very, very hard financially for Sylvia and her daughter, but Sylvia is a strong woman. It has been a huge change financially and a very hard struggle, but despite the hardship, where there is a will, there is a way.
Pico Man

Downey, CA

#10 Aug 30, 2009
Friend of the Family wrote:
It has been very, very hard financially for Sylvia and her daughter, but Sylvia is a strong woman. It has been a huge change financially and a very hard struggle, but despite the hardship, where there is a will, there is a way.
Thank you for that update.
anonymous

Redmond, WA

#11 Aug 30, 2009
I remember being outside with a couple of buddies early in the morning when that happen.We seen the killer walking down pico vista after he had did what he did.If we would of known what he had did at the time we would of gave him some street justice.We didn't find out what happen until the next day
The Cartel

Downey, CA

#12 Aug 30, 2009
anonymous wrote:
I remember being outside with a couple of buddies early in the morning when that happen.We seen the killer walking down pico vista after he had did what he did.If we would of known what he had did at the time we would of gave him some street justice.We didn't find out what happen until the next day
If i knew i would have went through this guy's window and made him disappear.
La Mirada Mom

Redondo Beach, CA

#13 Aug 30, 2009
My most heartfelt prayers for you, Sylvia and Espie Flores. I cannot begin to ever fathom the deepth of your loss or the courage you've shown to survive such a tremendous tragedy. May God watch over you both, and your family, and may he show sweet justice when the time truly comes.
Whittier Guy

Downey, CA

#14 Aug 30, 2009
That's good that she moved out of Pico Rivera because i bet she was tired of telling people how she was doing. I hope she can rest in Whittier were not as many people will recognize her.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#15 Aug 31, 2009
"I need to live a life sentence without them. Why can't she live a life sentence for them?" Flores, 47, asked.

The answer to that question is simple, it's the criminal justice system, not the victim services system. The state was the one violated in regards to criminal law and criminal justice. To furhter state justice, the state sought witnessess to help convict the violators of the state and eventually the state settled on a punishment and now the state is happy with the outcome.
Curious Resident

Downey, CA

#16 Aug 31, 2009
I heard reports that the dog was killed first during the attack,is this true? This never comes up in conversation because 4 lives were taken,but i was always curious of that story.
anonymous

Redmond, WA

#17 Aug 31, 2009
Curious Resident wrote:
I heard reports that the dog was killed first during the attack,is this true? This never comes up in conversation because 4 lives were taken,but i was always curious of that story.
Yes the dog was mutilated
Sylvia Flores

United States

#18 Aug 31, 2009
Thank you Ruby BUT the paper should not put the MASTER mind of the MURDERS picture so big
Sylvia Flores

United States

#19 Aug 31, 2009
NO my dog was not murdered
GEo

Whittier, CA

#20 Aug 31, 2009
God Bless to Mrs. Flores and her family. May the Lord keep giving you the strength.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News No new trial for Caius Veiovis in triple murder... 6 hr Cops are Degenerates 9
News Stanley Dishon expected to take plea deal in co... (Jan '15) 20 hr nope 20
News Nye Co. teen held in rifle slaying of girl (Jun '06) 23 hr HIT IT 113
News Prosecutor's racial remarks during trial at issue (Jun '12) Thu Benny Ganso 9
News Woman shot in head after drug deal goes bad in ... Thu boooooo 1
News An Azusa neighborhood has become a common groun... (Aug '09) Thu Ace kings 216
News KSP still searching for murderer (Jul '07) Thu Someone who cares 16
More from around the web