Man shot, killed near Ickes Homes

Man shot, killed near Ickes Homes

There are 23 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 8, 2007, titled Man shot, killed near Ickes Homes. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

An unidentified man was shot and killed this morning outside a public housing complex near Chinatown, Chicago police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
more

Newington, CT

#1 Oct 8, 2007
This again states how dangerous the projects are in Chicago. But when the Chicago Police crack down on the projects, it is racism. Jesse Jackson wake up and smell the coffee and do not think that everyone (Whites) are out to get you (Black).. If there was no guns and violence then the CPD would not crack down..
Tom Slick

Chicago, IL

#2 Oct 8, 2007
If we were all able to carry guns, the crime rate and murder rate would go down. So far, only the criminals have guns preying on those who don't have a gun. That makes as much since as the mayor of chicago.
Margaret

Gilman, IL

#3 Oct 8, 2007
I wonder what those hidden cameras at Ickes showed and how JJ is going to spin this.
Be Real

Des Plaines, IL

#4 Oct 8, 2007
put up more security cameras shit like this happens everyday and its getting to be a big problem. GET MORE CAMERAS!!!!!!
MrGeico

Sterling, VA

#5 Oct 8, 2007
Maybe the Chinese Americans in Chinatown can redevelop the area near Icke's projects. Maybe this is the secret deal the Irish Mayor Daley has under the table. Make sense to me. Chinatown needs landspace to expand. Poor blacks living in projects with no profit made or revenue created on stagnic land. Go head Mayor Daley, roll those dice.
TomK

Northbrook, IL

#7 Oct 8, 2007
Headline is misleading.
No chinese living within 200 ft of Ickes
MAN KILLED at 22nd and State should be the headline.
Pat

United States

#9 Oct 8, 2007
Margaret wrote:
I wonder what those hidden cameras at Ickes showed and how JJ is going to spin this.
The Jesse Spin: This is an example of the racist Chicago Police not providing services to the poor and downtrodden Ickes residents.

Yes, Jesse can have it both ways.
Tom Slick

Chicago, IL

#11 Oct 8, 2007
B K Ray wrote:
The police tend to over-police and underprotect the poor and double that for the black and poor.
The cameras are only there to witness murders and for no other reason. Unless the police are going to make it uncomfortable for criminals to choose crime as a way of life, the cameras are a joke.
To make crime a less fruitful venture, requires a disciplined police force, not one that will allow and support criminals among its own ranks. There is no need to 'crack down' on a population if a disciplined and scrupulous police force as well as a fair judicial system were in place. But since policing has been arbitrary, crime has become a fruitful venture in a place with very little other fruit available.
So will the idiots get off the stage now?
If parents would police there kids and teach them right from wrong, that would cut crime in there own hoods. If parents would make them go to school and get an education, the hood would be safer. Drive down jackson blvd from western to central, and tell me what you see.
Margaret

Gilman, IL

#12 Oct 8, 2007
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
The Jesse Spin: This is an example of the racist Chicago Police not providing services to the poor and downtrodden Ickes residents.
Perfect!!!!
oops

United States

#13 Oct 8, 2007
Where's Jesse know
Tom Slick

Chicago, IL

#16 Oct 8, 2007
B K Ray wrote:
<quoted text>If school showed more immediate benefits, if knowing how to parent was a prerequiste for having children, if right and wrong mattered in places other than the hood then maybe you might be on to something. But as long as you have a scandal ridden executive branch, an incapable or uncaring legislature with an inaccountable judiciary (how all them men wind up on death row so quick), you are going have more and more crime on the street, for a variety of reasons. Stop jumping on the opressed for being opressed, find the opressor.
You benefit from school when you leave college and go into the real world. The rest of it, you have a valid point. I grew up poor on the west side so I hear what you're saying. Time for me to exit stage left.
Ickes resident

Springfield, IL

#18 Oct 8, 2007
Once again the news has it wrong. The trespassing gangbanger shot in the head by another trespassing gangbanger was not outside, but in the middle of the Harold Ickes complex. He was shot in that very same playlot where the children were so traumatized due to the police doing the so-called strip search. I'll bet you wont correct your story. I want to thank all the news outlets for making the police leave the area just as the complaining dope dealers wanted.
chitowncfd

Springfield, IL

#19 Oct 8, 2007
TomK wrote:
Headline is misleading.
No chinese living within 200 ft of Ickes
MAN KILLED at 22nd and State should be the headline.
Actually Tom, it was 2320 S. State right in the middle of the Ickes playlot
citizen

Springfield, IL

#20 Oct 8, 2007
I want to thank channel 5 reporter renee furgeson, almighty jesse jackson, rep. danny davis and all the news outlets for getting the police to leave the harold ickes. The dope dealing gangbangers owe you big time
leonard hamilton

Chicago, IL

#21 Oct 8, 2007
Another senseless murder that did not have to happen. Now the marchers will come down, holding hands, giving prayers but they should be going door to door, asking Tamieka why her sons are not in school, where is the father of her 6 kids, why are you giving your kids sugary drinks and hot corn chips for breakfast, etc. Then ask the governor to ease the employment laws so once you serve your sentence a man can get back to work. Why should you do time in prison, and then get out and cannot get a job but if you are white and have clout you can get blue collar welfare? Or if you are a white woman you get minority set-asides even though your husband is already a millionaire? This is a lethal combination and it will only get worse.
citizen

Springfield, IL

#22 Oct 8, 2007
the media should mind their business and report the facts for a change, or even the truth.....although the truth might not draw ratings....great job channel 5
citizen

Springfield, IL

#23 Oct 8, 2007
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
wrong again, they get more protection and more cars assigned to that small area in the ickes than all other areas in the city
chicago citizen

Chicago, IL

#25 Oct 8, 2007
Maybe jesse will also be shot while staying at the crime- ridden harold ickes. I'm sure the chicago police gestapo will work real hard to catch the offender
eoc114

Rockford, IL

#26 Oct 9, 2007
Isn't this the place the folks were complaining about the police????
GREG

United States

#27 Oct 9, 2007
And the beat goes on!...And on And on!...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man charged with concealing homicide of missing... 3 hr Garrisons 4
News Attorney: Mississippi man shot in head by police 9 hr LBJ kilt JFK 11
News Warrant Issued For Arrest Of Suspect In Shootin... 10 hr BPT 2
News Suspect In Thanksgiving Day Murder Identified (Dec '15) Thu The only thing that 8
News Prosecutor tampered with Jarrad Beard's sentenc... (Jan '13) Nov 22 Cheryl tucker 8
Columbus Ohio Making A Run At The Record? Nov 22 fat tired old and... 1
News Two People Charged In Shooting Murder (Nov '09) Nov 21 Karma is a bitch 133
More from around the web