Suspect Charged With Killing Three Ch...

Suspect Charged With Killing Three Children Goes Before Judge

There are 579 comments on the WTVQ Lexington story from Sep 7, 2006, titled Suspect Charged With Killing Three Children Goes Before Judge. In it, WTVQ Lexington reports that:

The woman accused of killing three children pleaded not guilty in court Thursday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVQ Lexington.

First Prev
of 29
Next Last
ol_BLAZER_lo

Henderson, KY

#1 Sep 8, 2006
The least this woman could do for her sons memory is take reasponsability of her action. I pray for her. I pray for the families who lost thier children. I pray to understand why. I pray that all this anger and judgement I feel inside of me will pass and turn to a posotive.
dEL_TEE

Louisville, KY

#2 Sep 11, 2006
I can't image that this woman has not already excepted her reasponsibility in all of this. Pleading not guilty means she did not wake up on Aug 22 and say I think I will take these kids to the lake and on the way back crash my van and kill them. Just like most anyone who ever drinks when ever or however they drink, they never think this could happen to them. She made a foolish decision, but she did not plan to kill her son or those other children. Careless she was, just like you or I when we drive 75 in a 55 zone or when the good folks stop off for a beer or two at their favorite resturant and then drive home. I pray for you too, because you should know what the word of God says if your praying. Read Romans 3:10-18 and then read Matthew 18:11-14. Also remember Judge not least ye be Judged with the same judement. This mother, will pay for what she done for the rest of her life. She will never forget and the pain will not stop. The least this woman could do, Is the best she could do and that is if she has not already done it, She needs mostly to repent and seek out the Lord. Her child can not come to her, but one day she could go to her child, if her heart and soul is made right with the Lord, she too can be saved. Chirst died to save those which was lost. That is the positive thing in all of this.
paul_troud_t

Louisville, KY

#3 Sep 11, 2006
My prayers are with this poor soul. Alcohol and drugs are a products of an sin sick soul. It is an illness.
Lindsay

Yorktown, TX

#4 Sep 11, 2006
Is anyone sure she wasn't on some kind of prescription medicine? If you drive while taking prescription medicine that can cause drowsiness, you can be prosecuted just like you were drinking. They never say what she was on, I just wondered if anyone else had heard more of this story...
ol_BLAZER_lo

Henderson, KY

#5 Sep 12, 2006
It was alcohol prescribed from the main street rite aide. Asfar as dels response up there... Ididnt claim to be a preacher I did what my heart told me to do and pray but ty 4 your judgements of me u might want to take to heart what you read. I apologize for being angry but I know the truth of that nite.4 kids trusted 2 adults planned or not.
lawdog

Lexington, KY

#6 Sep 12, 2006
dEL_TEE wrote:
I can't image that this woman has not already excepted her reasponsibility in all of this. Pleading not guilty means she did not wake up on Aug 22 and say I think I will take these kids to the lake and on the way back crash my van and kill them. Just like most anyone who ever drinks when ever or however they drink, they never think this could happen to them. She made a foolish decision, but she did not plan to kill her son or those other children. Careless she was, just like you or I when we drive 75 in a 55 zone or when the good folks stop off for a beer or two at their favorite resturant and then drive home. I pray for you too, because you should know what the word of God says if your praying. Read Romans 3:10-18 and then read Matthew 18:11-14. Also remember Judge not least ye be Judged with the same judement. This mother, will pay for what she done for the rest of her life. She will never forget and the pain will not stop. The least this woman could do, Is the best she could do and that is if she has not already done it, She needs mostly to repent and seek out the Lord. Her child can not come to her, but one day she could go to her child, if her heart and soul is made right with the Lord, she too can be saved. Chirst died to save those which was lost. That is the positive thing in all of this.
Dee, all of that is well and good but at some point you have to remember that we have to live in this world. In this world, people who get intoxicated, load their children into a car, drive like a bat out of hell, wreck their car and kill three of the children, they get charged with murder. What she did is not careless, it is wanton conduct.
Your analogy does not make any sense either. Going 75 in a 55 may not be dangerous at all if there is no other traffic around or the road is wide and straight. Going nearly 70 on a road like Watts Mill while you are blitzed on alcohol (and possibly narcotics) with children in the car is another thing altogether.
Finally, she may be suffering now because she lost her son but that's just too bad. Her grief is based on what SHE lost, not the loss she's inflicted on others. That's what she should be grieving about and also why she'll be in prison very soon.
ol_BLAZER_lo

Henderson, KY

#7 Sep 12, 2006
no attempt to brake.... ran from ky day after her sons funeral...when caught was wasted again... yea shes repenting
senorita

Finchville, KY

#8 Sep 12, 2006
I KNEW EACH ONE OF THESE CHILDREN PERSONALLY. THEY WOULDN'T HAVE HURT A FLY. IT BREAKS MY HEART TO KNOW THAT AN ADULT THAT THEY ALL TRUSTED AND APPARENTLY LOVED WOULD HAVE TREATED THEM ANY SUCH WAY. I WONDER WHAT THE ATMOSPHERE IN THE CAR WAS BEFORE THIS HAPPENED. WERE ALL THE KIDS HAVING A GOOD TIME AND LAUGHING BECAUSE THEY WERE GOING SO FAST? OR WERE THEY ALL BEGGING HER TO SLOW DOWN AND THEY WERE SCARED TO DEATH. I GUESS WE'LL NEVER KNOW. BUT MELISSA KNOWS!!!!!!!! AND GOD!!!!!!!
DEL_TEE

United States

#9 Sep 12, 2006
NO ONE IS GIVEN JUSTIFICATION HERE FOR WHAT THIS WOMAN DONE. THE COURTS AND THE GOD LORD WILL BE HER JUDGE.
DRINK AND DRIVING IS WRONG. THE PARENTS WHO DRANK OFTEN WITH HER AND KNEW SHE HAD A PROBLEM, THEN LET THEIR CHILDREN TRAVEL TIME AND TIME AGAIN WITH HER TOOK THE SAME RISK AS MANY PEOPLE TAKE AND THINK THAT NOTHING LIKE THIS COULD HAPPEN TO THEM. THOSE PEOPLE ARE AS GUILTY AS SHE IS. ANYONE WHO KNEW HER AND KNEW SHE HAD A PROBLEM, THEY ARE JUST AS GUILTY AND NEED TO EXCEPT RESPONSIBILITY TOO. AS FOR THE FACT SHE IS HURTING, SHE HAS TOO BE, SHE IS HUMAN. IT WAS ALSO PROVEN THERE WAS NO WARRANT ON HER, SHE WAS NOT RUNNING FROM THE LAW, ONE LOCAL POLICE OFFICER WANTED A LITTLE PRAISE WITH THE MEDIA, AND SHARED HIS LIES, THE SHERIFFS DEPARTMENT KNEW WHERE AND WHO SHE WAS WITH ALL THE TIME.

AS FOR ol_BLAZER_lo NOW HOW WOULD YOU KNOW, SHE WAS WASTED AGAIN. BEING WHEN SHE WAS PICKED UP IN S.C. ALL SHE COULD HAVE HAD IN HER SYSTEM WAS THE PAIN MEDICATION THE DOCTOR GAVE HER, FOR HER BROKEN LEG, IF SHE HAD EVEN TAKEN IT THEN. ALSO HOW CAN YOU KNOW THE TRUTH OF THAT NIGHT, WAS YOU THERE? IF SO, WHY DIDNíT YOU DRIVE THE CAR, WHY DIDNíT YOU STOP HER FROM GETTING BEHIND THE WHEEL, OR WAS YOU WORKING THE SITE, DID YOU JUDGE HER THEN, BECAUSE SHE DIDNíT KNOW WHAT HAD EVEN HAPPEN, DRUNK OR NOT, TAKE A BLOW LIKE THAT AND SEE WHERE YOUR HEAD IS AT AND ANYONE ELSE WHO CLAIMS TO KNOW ALL ABOUT THIS WOMAN, WHERE WERE YOU BEFORE THIS HAPPENED? WHAT DID YOU EVER REALLY DO TO STOP THIS? DID YOU KNOW SHE HAD AN ALCOHOL PROBLEM? IF SO WHY POINT FINGERS NOW, WHY DIDNíT YOU DO SOMETHING THEN, WHEN YOU SEEN HER WITH THESE CHILDREN TAKING CARE OF THEM EVERY DAY. YOU PEOPLE WHO CLAIM TO KNOW SO MUCH OF THE TRUTH, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN BEFORE ALL THIS HAPPEN? JUST REMEMBER ď YOU SOMEDAY COULD BE IN HER SHOES, AND I HOPE YOU REMEMBER HOW YOU HAVE JUDGED.Ē THIS WOMAN IS NOT A SERIAL KILLER, SHE DID NOT PLAN TO KILL HER CHILD, MOST LIKELY SHE IS SICK, ALCOHOLISM IS A DISEASE, SHE IS GOING TO FACE THIS EVERYDAY, IN PRISON OR NOT. SHE WILL PAY FOR THIS, NOT YOU AND IF YOU KNEW AND COULD HAVE HAD A CHANCE TO STOP THIS, THEN YOU SHOULD PAY WITH HER.
grief_stricken_f amily

Levittown, NY

#10 Sep 12, 2006
Melissa is one of my cousins. Our family is overcome with grief. We too, know that Missy has to pay for what she has done. Nobody knows the things that Missy has gone through or why she has a drug or alchohol proplem. She is paying for what she has done. I could not imagine how she feels. On Missy's defense, she is a loving mother. Why do you think that she always had kids over to her house? She made a huge mistake that cost the lives of three innocent children. How burdened her heart must feel. Our family is torn, we feel anger, but mostly sorrow. Missy wasn't wasted when the cops picked her up, and the cops knew where she was at. Her and Madison were getting death threats, so she had to leave the state till she was in custody. She huaman not some monster that everyone is making her out to be.
ol_BLAZER_lo

Henderson, KY

#11 Sep 12, 2006
I myself have tryed to do my part. The passanger is my sons mother. I had gardianship of my son over 5 years I got no help from her. She took a 5 year vacation from motherhood she paid nothing.No help at all but she partyed hardy.I move back to KY she takes guardianship back. I argue I begg but the judge tells me I look silly argueing. I am askin judge plz jus look back at why my son came to live qwith me in the 1st place??? Has anything changed. I looked silly. Now look my son is a 17 year old 8th grade dropp out. Hasnt been to school since day he left my house. His mother is fighting for her life.Because she continued the same lifestyle. YOU TALK ABOUT FRUSTERATED. I am sooo lucky my own son wasnt in that van that night. Reasponsability no i wasnt there. I was called at 1am to come to uk hospital thats when I found out(anything to do with my sons wellbeing i am last to know}.Everyone is there telling of how the night unfolded. No I may not know fact for fact but I am pretty close. Yes I agree other adults around there knew of what goes on in that neighbor hood and could have should have stepp up and made a call or took some keys. But they acept it as the norm and stand up for each other against anyone in thier way. you damn right the is a hell of alota reasponsability to go around there
tds

Henderson, KY

#12 Sep 12, 2006
I am sure that Melissa didn't intentionally hurt those children that night. I also think that the community in that area was more than aware of her drinking problem and her drug problem because they all seemed to be party buddies. I only know this because I know Lori and her and Melissa were best friends. I know that Lori and Melissa are party buddies. I wish to God that me or Blazer could have been there to stop the situation however as he stated we are kept in the dark when it comes to his son. I don't feel that Melissa was the only adult in the vehicle that should have been held responsible however I believe that Lori have been in a coma for the last 3 weeks and suffering from severe brain damage that may not be reversable is more then a fair punishment. You know she has a minor son to that she will miss out on the big events of his life now. I sympathize for the families of the lost children, I sypathize for Melissa because she will have to live with this forever. I sympathize with Lori's children that now have a mother that is only here in body however she will not be the same again either. If she ever does recover she also has the loss of the children to deal with. I know that when I met Melissa she seemed to be a very loving and caring mother. She just seems to of forgot that with love for your children comes responsibility and no matter what doing your best to keep them safe. I understand that she was trying to keep her daughter safe when she left the state however the media hasn't let that be known. If you look back at statements made by Blazer you will see that he is not saying that Melissa is the only responsible party in this matter. My prayers go out to Melissa and Gary and Madison because I know that this has to be one of the hardest things that they will ever go through in life. But understand no matter how much a judge and jury punish her no one will punish her as much as she will punish herself.
lawdog

Perry, GA

#13 Sep 12, 2006
tds wrote:
I am sure that Melissa didn't intentionally hurt those children that night. I also think that the community in that area was more than aware of her drinking problem and her drug problem because they all seemed to be party buddies. I only know this because I know Lori and her and Melissa were best friends. I know that Lori and Melissa are party buddies. I wish to God that me or Blazer could have been there to stop the situation however as he stated we are kept in the dark when it comes to his son. I don't feel that Melissa was the only adult in the vehicle that should have been held responsible however I believe that Lori have been in a coma for the last 3 weeks and suffering from severe brain damage that may not be reversable is more then a fair punishment. You know she has a minor son to that she will miss out on the big events of his life now. I sympathize for the families of the lost children, I sypathize for Melissa because she will have to live with this forever. I sympathize with Lori's children that now have a mother that is only here in body however she will not be the same again either. If she ever does recover she also has the loss of the children to deal with. I know that when I met Melissa she seemed to be a very loving and caring mother. She just seems to of forgot that with love for your children comes responsibility and no matter what doing your best to keep them safe. I understand that she was trying to keep her daughter safe when she left the state however the media hasn't let that be known. If you look back at statements made by Blazer you will see that he is not saying that Melissa is the only responsible party in this matter. My prayers go out to Melissa and Gary and Madison because I know that this has to be one of the hardest things that they will ever go through in life. But understand no matter how much a judge and jury punish her no one will punish her as much as she will punish herself.
I know she didn't intentionally hurt the kids or she would be convicted of murder, not just charged with it. As for leaving the state, she did it so she wouldn't go to jail..protecting herself more than anyone else. Lori may be worse off for this accident but she wasn't so great to begin with...and the night of the accident she was a sight to behold at the hospital.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you about how much she will punish herself and that's why I'm very glad that a judge/jury will be involved in how much she actually does get punished!
Melissasfamily

United States

#14 Sep 12, 2006
Lawdog, your wrong. Melissa was not running from the law. Stop saying this. Youíre a liar. You do not know that for a fact. Your wrong and I am right. Your papers and TV. News they only report what they are told and they have been told wrong by a few police officers who are looking for a good name come election time. Melissa is already suffering for this and nothing you say will change that. Our family lost Nick. We are hurting too. We are sick of the lies that keep circling this, just for the sake of politics.
Madisun has lost her big brother and all any one can think about is how to make sure she looses her mother too. Melissa loved those children, she kept them with her more than their own parents did. She loved Nick and she loves Madison. I agree she failed them, and she made some really bad decisions. She is guilty drinking and driving. She is guilty for the accident (and I do say accident) that killed our Nick and the other two children. She and Lori both are guilty, because they was suppose to be the responsible adults here.
No person on this earth, knows this better than Melissa, so there is no need in fighting over this or giving our outlandish opinions. Lawdog is right, the judge and jury will decide the outcome here. Thatís the law, and the only right thing that can be done in all of this. Although I donít drink and I donít do drugs. I hate it because it becomes a crutch for people trying to drown their problems. I am sorry some of you will not agree with me here but Melissa is family and I know that she has problems. Problems that she can not fix herself. She needs help and rehab, more than she needs prison. Madisun needs her mother. I am sorry for the other families. I know they are hurting too. I wish none of this had happen. I wish Nick was still here. We canít bring them back. Two wrongs will not make a right. I cry myself to sleep every night. I miss Nick as much as anyone misses any of these children. I can not image not seeing him grow up but I also cannot image Madisun growing up without her mother. I can not image seeing Melissa suffering like this forever. She is family and I will not allow myself to hate her, because I know she has been crying out for help for a long time. She has been trying to change and she is a good person inside. I know the trouble that she has faced in her life, I know what brought her to this state of mind and I know that she is at the end of her rope. Madisun needs a sober mother. She needs her mother. I am sorry lawdog, for being so harsh, but you make me so angry saying things you know nothing about. Melissa is a good person, with a bad problem. She knows that better than all of us. One more thing, I would not take a dog to UK hospital. Those people are trained to be caregivers and not judges. They treated Melissa very bad. I have to work with people just like Melissa everyday. I would loose my job, if I was to ever treat someone like that. That hospital administration needs to revise their code of ethics, as does the Jessamine County Police Department. This family has endure more then anyone knows, because we have declined to feed the media and to contribute to the mind-set of people like you lawdog, Melissa is being judge unjustly in the eye of the public.
lawdog

Perry, GA

#15 Sep 13, 2006
Melissasfamily wrote:
Lawdog, your wrong. Melissa was not running from the law. Stop saying this. Youíre a liar. You do not know that for a fact. Your wrong and I am right. Your papers and TV. News they only report what they are told and they have been told wrong by a few police officers who are looking for a good name come election time.
That hospital administration needs to revise their code of ethics, as does the Jessamine County Police Department. This family has endure more then anyone knows, because we have declined to feed the media and to contribute to the mind-set of people like you lawdog, Melissa is being judge unjustly in the eye of the public.
First, I do feel for the children that have lost their siblings, and for other family members that are grieving. But there is no question Melissa was trying to flee. She had a family member enroute to SC to take her on to Mexico. What other possible reason could she have had to run that far?
You talk about drugs and alcohol being a crutch that people use to escape their problems as if that were some sort of legitimate excuse. Give me a break. We've all got problems. We've all endured hardship. But we don't all end up abusing drugs or alcohol.
What possible problem could you have with the JCSO? I guess it's just convenient to blame someone else rather than your own family member. The JCSO investigated the crash, discovered that Melissa was WAY under the influence AND driving too fast, and have now appropriately charged her with murder.
You say she needs rehab more than she needs prison. Perhaps that was true before the wreck but now she is a murderer and should spend time in prison to account for her crime. Where was this huge loving family BEFORE the accident? Why didn't you all have her involuntarily committed for rehab if drugs and alcohol were so destroying her life? Why did you allow her to have the children with her if she was so addicted to these things? Don't blame the law now that she's done something so horrific that she's facing a long prison sentence. Take a look in the mirror instead!
ol_blazer_lo

Henderson, KY

#16 Sep 13, 2006
Ive been trying to get ahold of my son. He wont have anything to do with me. I am too strict I expect him to go to school,I expect him to tell the truth, I expect him not to steal,and respect athority.The last year he has run wild.When this so called acident happened I was worried. Lori in the hospital who is gonna watch Adam.Ive been told he wants nothing to do with me.Wants to stay at his moms house.With his sister and loris sister Lisa.I say Tammy is too young and already has 2 small children to care for why does she need a 17 year old boy that she wont be able to aford to feed.Lisa what your interest in this you didnt even want to finish raising your own daughters.How many of them gave you grand kids b4 they was 18 you watched em real close didnt you.Will you watch my son the same way You all still contiunue to lie about adam to me.aug 24th you and your husband told me Adam is doing great he has a job at humain society making 10 dollars a hour.I just called there to try and speak with him. Funny they say only job he has ever held there was comunity service. SO I HAVE BEEN LIED TO ABOUT MY SON AGAIN. Why do you do this what do you have to gain. Is Adam gonna be your meal ticket.Why dont you work out your probs with your husband in lexington instead of taking his money and suporting yours and your sisters drug house at the expence of my son. someone said in posts way up there why didnt you do something. I am trying this is just one of the road blocks ive run thru the lasat 17 years trying to be a father to my son when all lori latham and lisa stone ever wanted was male sperm donnors to collect child suport from
hallhill

Louisville, KY

#17 Sep 14, 2006
LAWDOG: She had a family member enroute to SC to take her on to Mexico. YOUR LIAR AGAIN. WHY ARE YOU MAKING UP LIES? Where is your proof? You have none. I was there, you wasn't. As for Melissa's family getting help for her. We are guilty we did not force her in to rehab before this. We blame the dept. for lies like you are feeding people. Your having fun making up these lies. Melissa was not going to Mexico. Your so full of it, where do you get your information?
ol_BLAZER_lo

Henderson, KY

#18 Sep 14, 2006
This doesnt say she was headed to mexico but neither does its say she was fleeing for her life. Jon Sasser
Action News 36
Sep 7, 13:22 PM EDT
The woman accused of killing three children pleaded not guilty in court Thursday morning.
40-year-old Melissa Helton was brought back to Jessamine County from South Carolina Wednesday night.
Helton fled south after she was released from the hospital.
Here are 2 exerts from The LEXINGTON HEARALD LEADER.
Murder charged in fatal crash
Lexington Herald-Leader
By Greg Kocher
August 31, 2006
I'm not sure whether she was there with family The driver of the van that crashed last week in Jessamine County and killed three young children, including her 12-year-old son, has been charged with three counts of murder, police said last night.
Melissa Helton, 40, also is charged with wanton endangerment and driving under the influence, said Capt. Kevin Corman of the Jessamine County Sheriff's Department.
Helton was arrested in Horry County, S.C., yesterday, but Corman did not know why she was there or how she came to be located there.
'I'm not sure whether she was there with family,' Corman said.
Helton apparently won't fight extradition to Kentucky and will be returned to Jessamine County within the next several days, Corman said.
{that part is at the top of the article}
Corman said police had attempted to serve warrants at Helton's Ash Court home Tuesday night but she was not home. Further attempts to serve the warrants were unsuccessful.
Police had said last week that they suspected alcohol was a factor in the crash, but would not say why they thought so. Corman would not say any more last night about that, citing concerns that it would hinder prosecution of the case.
{that part is the last two paragraphs of same article}
While you are calling lawdog a liar seems his truth is suported by the media. If this is incorrect information There is a person to contact listed on that article.
Please if we are being lied to I beg you demand the truth. Make them do a corect story. If these are lies by all means make the media acountable to the truth. Just as all guilty parties in this tragity should be held acountable.
ol_BLAZER_lo

Henderson, KY

#19 Sep 14, 2006
Lisa and Chuck Evans, who were the first to reach the burning van, said Tuesday they thought the van's driver, Melissa Helton of Nicholasville, had been drinking.

At first, Helton declined to get out of the van, they recalled. Later, Helton told Lisa Evans not to take her to the hospital.

'She wouldn't say anything but 'Don't take me to the hospital,'' she said.

Evans smelled alcohol when she spoke to Helton, she said.

Might want the herald leader to remove these lies to
familymember

Louisville, KY

#20 Sep 14, 2006
I can not speak for the rest of the family, but God knows I have taken a long hard look in the mirror. For the past few years, I have not been active in Melissaís life. I did not see her children as much as I should have and that would be my fault, I take the blame for not doing something before this. I was not there to help Melissa get over what ever it is that caused her to retreat to drinking. I live in a different state and selfishly I have been too busy with my own family. I donít excuse her for drinking and driving, however, I donít see her as a wicked person either. She has always been very kind to me and I love her today as much as I have always loved her. I love her husband, who is good hard working family man and I dearly love Madison and Nicholas who I will always miss. To answer your question ďWhy didn't you all have her involuntarily committed for rehab if drugs and alcohol were so destroying her life?Ē I am sure that would have not done any good, when it comes to drugs and alcohol I think the person has to be willing to give them up, before anything at all will help them. Every human emotion has run so high in this. I am sure seeing those small children loose their precious lives so young and without reason, that alone can bring anyone to hatred, but I rest assure that God has a reason for everything and I donít question Him. I hope and I pray not only does my family learn something from all of this but so does every other family who is implicated someway here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 29
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Arizona Cop Acquitted for Fatal Shooting 11 hr Kev from Michigan 1
News Homicide rate in Knoxville, Knox County hits hi... 20 hr Preacher Bubba 2
News Amid calls for peace, more violence 21 hr They cannot kill ... 8
News Jermayne Timmons Indicted on Five Counts in Kat... (Jul '08) Wed SDT 20
News Shreveport police shoot 34-year-old man (Apr '07) Tue Kimyatta 72
News Spate of homicides puts Columbus in a season of... Tue Harvey 13
News Arizona bill would let city dwellers shoot snak... (Feb '17) Mon Jess Killemall 7
More from around the web