Granite City officer-involved shootin...

Granite City officer-involved shooting kills man

There are 28 comments on the KSDK-TV Saint Louis story from Jul 9, 2014, titled Granite City officer-involved shooting kills man. In it, KSDK-TV Saint Louis reports that:

An early morning officer-involved shooting resulted in the death of a man at a Granite City service station, according to Granite City Chief Richard Miller.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSDK-TV Saint Louis.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: May 14

Kansas City, MO

#1 Jul 9, 2014
Suicide by cop?
up high

United States

#3 Jul 9, 2014
Politically Incorrigible wrote:
Suicide by cop?
That's what it seems like.
Confused

Granite City, IL

#4 Jul 9, 2014
What does suicide by cop mean?
Wow

Alton, IL

#5 Jul 9, 2014
It means the person wanted to die and purposely did something that would make the officer shoot.
Info

Granite City, IL

#6 Jul 9, 2014
Has this mans name been released yet? Wasn't he mid 40s and from St. Charles? Any info on what exactly happened and why? Was he robbing the gas station or what? Doesn't seem to be much info released at this time. None that I've found at least.

Granite City, IL

#7 Jul 9, 2014
Info wrote:
Has this mans name been released yet? Wasn't he mid 40s and from St. Charles? Any info on what exactly happened and why? Was he robbing the gas station or what? Doesn't seem to be much info released at this time. None that I've found at least.
Probably hush hush cause something or someone was in the wrong. Guy calls 911 for help, ends up dead. Keep it quiet for awhile then sweep it under the rug. None of you granite city folks will ever no the difference.
Spicey Saucey

Granite City, IL

#8 Jul 9, 2014
The guy had a gun in his car tho. Maybe he knew something about the fatal hit and run that nobody seems to figure out?
yep yep

East Saint Louis, IL

#10 Jul 9, 2014
definitely agree! think gcpd is hiding something. nothing makes sense. and when I seen the news at 6 am they said the man did not point his gun nor did he let off any bullets now they say he was pointing the gun. someone needs to get their story straight
Same old

Amsterdam, Netherlands

#12 Jul 9, 2014
Being dead is much better than being alive in Granite
Thats all ya need to know
demo

Granite City, IL

#13 Jul 9, 2014
Pretty sure gas station has some surveillance. I agree if someone points a gun, they intend to use it, just a matter of who can use there index finger faster.

United States

#14 Jul 9, 2014
Is the station even open that late at night?
Jacob Q

Granite City, IL

#15 Jul 9, 2014
1. The station was not open at 4 A.M.

2. The guy, identified as Stephen S. Minch, 45 from St. Charles, was the guy who initiated the incident by calling 911 on himself. He was parked directly behind the Quik Stop, in a grass field.

3. Quote: "The individual calling was obviously distraught and requested police for an unknown reason," said Master Sgt. Mark Doiron with the Illinois State Police.

4. Quote #2: "They pulled up not really knowing what they had, and one of the officers saw that the suspect had a pistol," said Doiron. "They ordered him to drop it several times and he began raising it in the direction of the officers."

5. The cops, who are trained to 'double-tap' into mid body mass when threatened with deadly force, did just that.

6. The guy died on the spot.

A textbook case of 'suicide by cop'. The guy had a gun, but couldn't bring himself to punch his own ticket. So he made the cops do it.

United States

#16 Jul 9, 2014
Wonder why a guy from St. Chuck chose that particular spot. Pretty damn strange????
snitchbloodwork

Granite City, IL

#17 Jul 9, 2014
Jacob Q must be a cop
Jacob Q

Mountain View, CA

#18 Jul 10, 2014
Yep "snitchbloodwork", I am. I am also authorized to collect any and all IP data from any internet user who might have information regarding current criminal activity. Thank you for your contribution.
Jenjo

United States

#19 Jul 10, 2014
Hey, "laugingatu," just because he was distraught to the point of possibly wanting his life to end doesn't mean that his life was "worthless." He had two amazing daughers, his parents and a brother who are dealing with this tragedy. You have no CLUE what someone's issues may be so keep your judgy criticism to yourself, you insensitive clod.
who cares

Collinsville, IL

#20 Jul 10, 2014
I know what i saw all because u see something on the news dont always mean it's true. Why would this man choose granite city police to end his life when he has trigger happy police right there in St. Charles? All because they come up with this fabricated story about suicide by cop dont mean it's true. It was like what 10 shots fired from 2 different officers? Hmmm i guess when ur not sure what ur shootin and ur shootin from 10 feet behind a car u need all those bullets? Bullshit. It dont concern me
I just like how everyone is sayin suicide by cop cause thats seriously unlikely.
xyz

Granite City, IL

#21 Jul 10, 2014
Another law suit against gc's finest!!!
Elisa

Pekin, IL

#23 Jul 10, 2014
Lauging At U wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot. If you're a cop and some deranged nutjob has a gun in his hand, you don't wait for him to shoot. Pop him and end his worthless life. The guys car was behind the building in the grass. He got what he deserved.
You are utterly ignorant and offensive. Steve was my cousin. He was a kind, unassuming man. He leaves behind two beautiful daughters and a loving extended family. We are shocked and saddened by his passing.

I only hope you never suffer such a loss as this. And if you do, I hope you don't have to read asinine comments made by idiotic strangers.
box 1

Granite City, IL

#24 Jul 10, 2014
driving past u.s.s has strange effects on people

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Confederate Controversy: Should schools and str... 1 hr iaintownedaslave 1
News 2 dead after shooting at Maple Grove McDonald's (Apr '09) 3 hr bystander 228
News Newtown still seeking 'normal' after Sandy Hook... 3 hr BetrayedAmerica 4
News Cadiz native dead after Murray shooting (Jul '12) 7 hr Amazed 60
News She Lost Three Kids to ChiraqBy Michael Daly 9 hr Much Ado Bout Nada 2
News Nikki Haley calls for removal of Confederate fl... 11 hr Mark Twain Progre... 16
News Charleston church shooting coverage criticized ... 21 hr Spaulding Smails 418
More from around the web