Teen's Shooting Highlights Racial Ten...

Teen's Shooting Highlights Racial Tension

There are 3666 comments on the Wall Street Journal story from Aug 12, 2014, titled Teen's Shooting Highlights Racial Tension. In it, Wall Street Journal reports that:

Police guard a gas station that was burned when protests over the killing of 18-year-old Michael Brown led to unrest and looting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wall Street Journal.

Concern Citizen

Florissant, MO

#1585 Aug 30, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know how old you are, but I'm 54 years old and our toy guns looked like toy guns when I was a kid. Nobody ever tried to rob a convenience store or bank with a toy gun like they do today because it would have been too obvious.
Well I am molded and 54 and I don't know how obvious your kid weapons were but especially in today's time the toy pistol, 6 shooters that I got for Christmas a very much look like the real thing. Even as a teenager I managed to fool some of my brothers friend with a toy Gun as they begged me never to do that again.
Hunter of Gor

Moyock, NC

#1586 Aug 30, 2014
Who wrote:
<quoted text>
That, and their taught they CAN do whatever they want.
Exactly.! My friend's daughter went to college for 5-yrs to get her degrees and a great job. Bought a corvette to enjoy her success. Breakfast one morning, an Alabama blue gum was waiting for her and said "you got to give me the keys". Luckily, some guys stepped in with guns and car was not hijacked. Unreal, this is what blacks think, I want it - take it.

“Bullsh*% Detector Enabled”

Since: Dec 08

Brooklyn, New York

#1587 Aug 30, 2014
LRDII wrote:
<quoted text>Grab a cops gun, prepare to die. It's that simple. Whether good cop or bad cop, white cop or black cop. Get over it, limp wrist.
Really? Why didn't this guy die?

http://www.kptv.com/story/22961454/police-man...

What's a limp wrist?
Colbert

Columbus, OH

#1588 Aug 30, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>No. In the real world, people that attack other people with guns are killed.
Untrue.

http://www.kptv.com/story/22961454/police-man...
Colbert

Columbus, OH

#1589 Aug 30, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>The private medial examiner hired by the brown family to do an autopsy reported this on the Michael Medved show:

Brown sustained six gunshot wounds; four to his arm and two to his head.

What this tells me is that the officer tried to use non-lethal shots to stop Brown, and when that didn't work, shot twice to his head.

I seriously doubt he shot Brown in the head twice, and then four shots to his arm.
Conspiracy? Are you kidding?
Concern Citizen

Florissant, MO

#1591 Aug 30, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
They are very important. If you want perfection, then build robot police officers with computers in them. As long as we have humans doing the job, you are going to have mistakes and bad apples.
I wish all statistics were this favorable. I mean, what if only 1% of our black people were criminals? What if only 1% of our clergy were child molesters? What if only 1% of our population was in prison? What if only 1% of marriages ended up in divorce? What if only 1% of investments lost money? What if only 1% of American made cars ever broke down?
You want to reduce that 1%? Then get the criminals to obey police, that's all. Don't give any police officer a chance to be in that 1%.
Granted there are those are certainly some of those who bring the African-American race down there is no getting around that. I'm not seeking to try and defend those who do.

Understand however people are not treated fairly here in America in your statistics never show that. Wouldn't it be nice if an African-American felt like an American? But hated and despised by people he never met still based on the color of his skin.

Wouldn't it be nice to enter a business establishment in not see all eyes on you, not automatically assuming you're going to steal something because you're in the store.

Wouldn't it be nice not to assume that because people saw some of the Black people behaving a certain way that assumption is all Black people want to be treated the same way-"Hey bro-Give me 5"

Black Americans have their problems-but America has its problems with Black Americans. Funny how much statistics don't show.
Colbert

Columbus, OH

#1592 Aug 30, 2014
Who wrote:
<quoted text>NOT a black thug? So you knew him then?

What an ignorant ass.
Just as I thought. Another "witness".
Colbert

Columbus, OH

#1593 Aug 30, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>Always an excuse for their criminal behavior isn't there? Stop making excuses like ignorant Al and address the problem in the community and try to change their behavior.
So the white community has it all Under control? No thugged out white boys, drug dealers, bad apples? Is that what your infinite topix wisdom leads you to believe?
Cat74

Wilmington, IL

#1594 Aug 30, 2014
Why are people suspicious of black shoppers? Is it because there are more black shop lifters then white ones?
Colbert

Columbus, OH

#1595 Aug 30, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>Apples to oranges. The German stopped his attack. Brown didn't after being wounded. That why you heard a second round of shots. You shoot to stop the threat. Access the situation and if the threat is there you attempt to stop the threat again. New evidence doesn't help Brown at all.
Yes apples oranges. Apple gets 2 bullets in the head after unloading his weapon, orange goes to jail.
Who

Grand Rapids, MI

#1597 Aug 30, 2014
Colbert wrote:
<quoted text>
So the white community has it all Under control? No thugged out white boys, drug dealers, bad apples? Is that what your infinite topix wisdom leads you to believe?
Only the "white boys" who hang around with the apes.

Not a whole lot of "black boys" trying to act white, is there?
Who

Grand Rapids, MI

#1598 Aug 30, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
They are very important. If you want perfection, then build robot police officers with computers in them. As long as we have humans doing the job, you are going to have mistakes and bad apples.
I wish all statistics were this favorable. I mean, what if only 1% of our black people were criminals? What if only 1% of our clergy were child molesters? What if only 1% of our population was in prison? What if only 1% of marriages ended up in divorce? What if only 1% of investments lost money? What if only 1% of American made cars ever broke down?
You want to reduce that 1%? Then get the criminals to obey police, that's all. Don't give any police officer a chance to be in that 1%.
That wouldn't work either, a robot is only as smart as the idiot who programmed it, and if said idiot is a liberal you bet your ass suddenly, for no apparent reason, blacks with never "commit" another crime ever. <wink, wink>
Who

Grand Rapids, MI

#1599 Aug 30, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard it a little differently. I heard he was involved in a second degree murder, but to what capacity (if true) was not known.
I don't believe it...

The hell you say...

But they showed us the "innocent" picture with his ugly face and all dressed up like urkel - so he must be innocent and naive.
Who

Grand Rapids, MI

#1600 Aug 30, 2014
Concern Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Granted there are those are certainly some of those who bring the African-American race down there is no getting around that. I'm not seeking to try and defend those who do.
Understand however people are not treated fairly here in America in your statistics never show that. Wouldn't it be nice if an African-American felt like an American? But hated and despised by people he never met still based on the color of his skin.
Wouldn't it be nice to enter a business establishment in not see all eyes on you, not automatically assuming you're going to steal something because you're in the store.
Wouldn't it be nice not to assume that because people saw some of the Black people behaving a certain way that assumption is all Black people want to be treated the same way-"Hey bro-Give me 5"
Black Americans have their problems-but America has its problems with Black Americans. Funny how much statistics don't show.
I thought you libs don't see the color of their skin?

Apparently, that's ALL you see. If blacks want to be "treated fairly", how about starting by not referring to the as "african-americans" anymore Mr. Segregationist.

If blacks don't want to be judged by the color of their skin, then why do we still have "affirmative action" which everything is based SOLELY on their skin color.

"Hey bro - give me 5", seriously? No stereotyping going on there...

If blacks don't want to be "hated and despised", stop doing the things we all assume they will - we're tired of being called "racists" for being right. How is it our fault they are constantly living up to their reputations?

You seem to be the biggest racist of all. Everything in your post was, essentially, every stereotype about blacks ever.

GFY.
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#1601 Aug 30, 2014
Colbert wrote:
<quoted text>
So the white community has it all Under control? No thugged out white boys, drug dealers, bad apples? Is that what your infinite topix wisdom leads you to believe?
Not many white boys riddled their community with crime because of drugs. You don't see many white drive-by shootings. You don't see many boarded up houses in white communities that have drug users or dealers. You don't see any white gang fights over drugs in a white community. You don't see a white community lash out at police or authority when they do something to stop the problem. In white areas, the community supports the police.
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#1602 Aug 30, 2014
Concern Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Granted there are those are certainly some of those who bring the African-American race down there is no getting around that. I'm not seeking to try and defend those who do.
Understand however people are not treated fairly here in America in your statistics never show that. Wouldn't it be nice if an African-American felt like an American? But hated and despised by people he never met still based on the color of his skin.
Wouldn't it be nice to enter a business establishment in not see all eyes on you, not automatically assuming you're going to steal something because you're in the store.
Wouldn't it be nice not to assume that because people saw some of the Black people behaving a certain way that assumption is all Black people want to be treated the same way-"Hey bro-Give me 5"
Black Americans have their problems-but America has its problems with Black Americans. Funny how much statistics don't show.
Correct. White America does have a problem with blacks. Why? Because of the way blacks conduct themselves.

I live in a very diverse suburb, but I was here when it was all white. It was great. Thriving businesses, safe community, highly rated school system, clean and quiet.

Then the blacks moved in.

Stores closed down because of robberies. We went from one murder every ten or fifteen years (if that) to three a year. Armed robberies on our streets and in our stores. They even had to cancel Forth of July fireworks displays because you can't assemble any large group of blacks without it turning into a riot or gang fights. Trash all over the streets and tree lawns because these people are so filthy. Insurance rates for homes and auto climbing every year.

Can I say it's every black? Of course not. That would be ridiculous. But what I can say is this is what happens to every area where the black population grows to over 40%.

In most cases, whites don't have a problem living with any other race of people. Whites live with Arabs, Asians, Hispanics and so on. That's because these other groups assimilate into these communities--not change them. These are not loud, violent or dirty people for the most part. That's the problem.

If blacks want to be more accepted in a white community, then don't ask us to change for them, they need to change for us or live away from us.
Colbert

Columbus, OH

#1603 Aug 30, 2014
Who wrote:
<quoted text>Only the "white boys" who hang around with the apes.

Not a whole lot of "black boys" trying to act white, is there?
Lived in America long, patriot?
Colbert

Columbus, OH

#1604 Aug 30, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>Not many white boys riddled their community with crime because of drugs. You don't see many white drive-by shootings. You don't see many boarded up houses in white communities that have drug users or dealers. You don't see any white gang fights over drugs in a white community. You don't see a white community lash out at police or authority when they do something to stop the problem. In white areas, the community supports the police.
I can show you two white neighborhoods in Columbus Ohio that do that very same thing? Wanna try me?

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#1605 Aug 30, 2014
Concern Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
The figures that you present would that not also infer that the law enforcement also does not care about Black on Black crime?
Thank you for admitting it is happeneing. That is a welcome change.

It could so "infer".
Does it though? I say it does not without further facts.

What you wrote can likewise infer that you may think it is because whites are the majority of law enforcement personnel, and that is why law enforecment does not care about black on black crime. Is that true?

How can we explore why there is the impression out there that law enforcement does not care about black on black crime?
What question would you ask first to find out if LE is ignoring black on black murder rates?

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#1606 Aug 30, 2014
Concern Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
I see the direction you're coming from and I believe you have a genuine concern as to events that transpired regarding Mike Brown.
The statement you made "These policemen are here to protect you." Is a factor one would presume when we are of the Assumption they truly mean "To protect and serve." Unfortunately the reality specifically for minority isn't the same, how can one protect others when they look down upon them? I believe personally the issue isn't so much about the killing of Mike Brown but rather the systematic killing of Africans-American for so many years. They automatically being a suspect so that the African American citizen knows that when they are stopped by the police They Had Better Do Everything Absolutely Correct Or They Too Will Be Lying Dead in the Street!
But the thing is CC, "the systematic killing of Africans-American for so many years" is a valid point ... however ... the current stats on the matter no longer support the conclusion that it is still a rampant happenstance.
The systematic killing of blacks is now being committed by their own race to the tune of 92% of all gun deaths in this country.
It appears that the current situation is that the majority of the black community think your scenario still exists whether it is still true or not.
My point is that when a young black person sees a LEO, especially if that LEO is white, and he thinks your statement still true, can not his attitude come through in a negative way which can easily and unnecessarily escalate into a bad situation?
At the same time that assumption is being portrayed in a distrustful and antagonistic way, the white LEO is also aware that the stats show black crime rates, especially violent crime rates a murder, are so high, that a certain degree of 'extra' caution is exercised by the LEO which can be another factor which also can escalate the situation.
Is that a possible common occurance today?

Keep in mind these two things are happening at the very same time and it is not a situation where one showed attitude first. The attitudes collide because they are already present before an encounter with a LEO.
Would that be fair to say?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trial continues for man accused... (Jun '08) Sat Ugh 3
News Paxton's acceptance of shootings is unacceptable Sat youll shoot your ... 1
News True crime isn't as true in its depiction of fe... Fri KCinNYC 3
News The Latest: Trump pledges full support for shoo... Nov 17 RIP 4
News Murder Was the Case: LA Homicide No. 280, Man S... (Dec '09) Nov 16 Julioside 31
News Ohio set to execute inmate with walking, breath... Nov 15 Absolutely shocked 1
News Fatal Mississippi police shooting: Judge dismis... Nov 15 Lamars Coma 12
More from around the web