Detectives Investigate Shooting Death...

Detectives Investigate Shooting Death In Monrovia

There are 61 comments on the cbs2.com story from Apr 29, 2007, titled Detectives Investigate Shooting Death In Monrovia. In it, cbs2.com reports that:

A man was shot and killed Sunday in Monrovia, a sheriff's deputy said. The shooting, in the 100 block of West Lime Avenue, occurred at 1:47 a.m., Deputy Anthony Moore said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at cbs2.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
snark

Dillon, SC

#1 Apr 29, 2007
more and more
monrovia california is becoming like
monrovia liberia

all thats missing are the

U.N. Peacekeppers
Relay for Lifer

United States

#2 Apr 30, 2007
I was in the library Park for the American cancer Society Relay for Life.

We were walking the perimeter of the park when the incident took place.

I was really happy that no-one in the park was hit.

It was really scary as the shots were fired and we were all running for cover.
its 2 am

La Puente, CA

#3 Apr 30, 2007
The shooting occurred at 1:47 a.m., Deputy Anthony Moore said.

You were out at 1:47 a.m.? Come on, go back to Stucoville, O.C.
Kelly

Victorville, CA

#4 Apr 30, 2007
I was there as well for the Relay for life walk. It was a little to close for comfort.
Kelly

Victorville, CA

#5 Apr 30, 2007
its 2 am wrote:
The shooting occurred at 1:47 a.m., Deputy Anthony Moore said.
You were out at 1:47 a.m.? Come on, go back to Stucoville, O.C.
If you refeering to the comment above your about him/her walking the park. Ummm yes thats true. we were in a walk for the American Cancer Society Realy for Life. It's a 24 hour walk so ummm yes we were there.
monrovian

Monrovia, CA

#6 Apr 30, 2007
Only in monrovia do they try to hide everything that happens, You try to find out what is going on in your own city and nobody ever has information. Let's face it monrovia has issues also, so give your residents information on what is going on in thier own backyard!!!
its 2 am

La Puente, CA

#7 Apr 30, 2007
Thanks for clarifying that Kelly. I thought that poster was just BSing. Glad everyone was O.K. What a noble cause.

It's dangerous walking around at night anywhere these days. The only people out at that time of night are usually up to no good.

That's right by the Monrovia police station. I hope they catch the bad guys.
At Rely4Life too

Los Angeles, CA

#8 May 1, 2007
I was there as well - we were in the middle of a poker torney (no cash, only chips). I heard the shooting and saw some guys jump into a black SUV from across the park (too far for any detail), but I went to check on my son (he was fast asleep) so I didn't see anything else.
Talking with one of the cops at about 4 AM was not encouraging on getting the shooter(s). They had driven off about two minutes before the police arrived, and the witnesses/friends of the victim were not talking. Seems like one gang killing someone from another gang.
If Monrovia wants to clean up, they need to revoke the liquor license of 4th Dimension, or start billing them for all the trouble caused by the drunks that leave that place late at night.
The all American City

Monrovia, CA

#9 May 1, 2007
Revoke their liquor license come on get a life things happen like this everywhere and for it to happen in such a small town you suggest taking away their license, Gang members are killing each other drunk or not...4th demension for the most part is a pretty safe place and has not had anything like this happen to them before give them a break
living on lime

Studio City, CA

#10 May 1, 2007
The guy was only 21 he just had a baby. We use to think 4D's was a fun place, Fridays never go there cause of the cholos but now they took over saturdays too I personaly know the 2 owners, Bartenders, Security, and they're good people. So revoking their license is not going to cut it cause then everyone will go to brass which is right around the corner.
monrovian

Monrovia, CA

#11 May 1, 2007
living on lime wrote:
The guy was only 21 he just had a baby. We use to think 4D's was a fun place, Fridays never go there cause of the cholos but now they took over saturdays too I personaly know the 2 owners, Bartenders, Security, and they're good people. So revoking their license is not going to cut it cause then everyone will go to brass which is right around the corner.
the guy was 23
solutions

La Puente, CA

#12 May 1, 2007
1) The city should make the owners close the club at 11:00 PM from now on. These people can go somewhere else and get into trouble after that if they want to.

2) Don't play music that attracts the wrong crowd. No gangster music.

3) Dress code if there already isn't one.

If the club won't do this and something happens again then take their liquor license away and impose fines.

The Monrovia PD should be stationed right outside the club at closing from now on. It's only a block away. That goes for the Elephant Bar as well.
monrovian

Monrovia, CA

#13 May 1, 2007
Are you kidding me, like the police can sit outside places like that, then they would have to go to every bar in town. I worked at 4'ds and for the most part it is an ok crowd, I know sergio doesn't tolerate anything that happens in the club, that is why he has all the security, so if someone shoots outside how is it 4'ds fault. That would be like saying every school shooting is the schools fault. Why should they have to close at 11pm and everyother place closes at 2. As far as the music, I am not a gangster and I like the music they play and I am not with the wrong crowd. So maybe you should go in there sometime, it has every different race there is not just gangsters!!!!
all american city

Monrovia, CA

#14 May 1, 2007
1) What is the difference if the club closes at 11:00 or 2:00? Herding them all "somewhere else to go to get into trouble if they want to" doesn't sound like the best solution either.

2) Different music attracts all kinds of different people, there can be a murderer amongst any group...killing has nothing to do with music or drinking. What else will be controlled next? We will shut down schools and take teaching credentials away when the next columbine happens?

3) Dress code, searches of body and belongings is already done. All precautions that can be done there are. MPD is often times there at closing and makes an appearance sometime during the night on the busy weekends.

As far as people being out at 1:47 all being lumped into the "bad category" is ridiculous. Many people enjoy dancing and shooting pool...the real answer to finding bad people is for MPD to stop parking outside the local schools handing out citations and start focusing on the child molesters, rapist and violent criminals.
solutions

La Puente, CA

#15 May 2, 2007
SGVTribune.com - Killing in Monrovia's Library Park Killing in Monrovia.... she said, after trying to stop a fight that started at the 4th Dimension nightclub in the 300 block of Myrtle Avenue directly across ...

This is all that's left of the article as the SGV Tribune has pulled it. BTW, thanks Tribune, that headline was really flattering for the city of Monrovia. Hope you sold a lot of newspapers that day.

All I'm pointing out is that most shootings happen in the am and are more likely to be gang related.

A similar thing happened at Dave & Busters at the Santa Anita mall last week and it also involved gangs. The Arcadia city council should come down hard on Dave & Busters for all the police resources they drain from that city but that's another topic.

As far as the Monrovia PD not focusing on other violent crimes, what makes you think they don't? I can't imagine what better things they would have to do then prevent another incident like this at their town squre.

Bottom line is this, somebody got killed out there and innocent people peforming a charity walk were endangered. Granted it happened at 2 am but it was in the city's center squre right next to the police station, supposedly the safest part of town.

It's up to the citizens and city council of Monrovia to decide how they want their Old Town and their city in general to be portrayed.

The club sounds ok but what's your solution, wait till it happens again? I'm all ears respectfully.
monrovian

Monrovia, CA

#16 May 2, 2007
See that is the problem with monrovia, they always want to hide what happens here. Maybe that is one solution, half of the time no one knows what is going on the city because they try to be so hush hush about it. Let people know what is happening around here. The easiest solution would be to close the club down but the would violate rights. I don't think they try to attract the wrong people to the club, I think we are in a time where this happens everyday. 3 people got killed last year in one day and that was not 4'ds issue, it was a city issue. So instead of they mayor trying to get rich and as far as I see get what he wants he should focusing on the gang problem. We have come along way since the early 90's but still can improve. As far as monrovia p.d they have thier own issues, I know alot of police officers who have left because of politics but they do try to harass the wrong people sometimes not all the time but sometimes. So as far as solutions go I am all out, I know we try to make the city as safe as possible but you have people coming in from surrounding citys not just in the am. I remember they stopped the carnival at the park because they had a shooting there and that was daytime. Well hopefully someone gets caught, and if they do I am sure they will be out of jail in our lifetime " but that is another story"
Playin poker

Long Beach, CA

#17 May 2, 2007
The sad part of this is that there could have been a statement made about how ironic it was that while a hundred or so people were in the park overnight, staying up and walking for a cause to help save lives, some idiot with a gun jeopardizes the lives of so many innocent people. Instead, it was minimalized into just another killing.

The gangter faction always talks about "respect". How can you respect anyone for whom life is cheap and that has no problem killing several innocent people in the hopes of killing his adversary. Murder over words or a look will not and should not garner anyone any respect. Fear is not the same as repsect. If they want respect, they should stand up and become men, instead of cowards hiding behind weapons.
All American City

Monterey Park, CA

#18 May 2, 2007
solutions wrote:
SGVTribune.com - Killing in Monrovia's Library Park Killing in Monrovia.... she said, after trying to stop a fight that started at the 4th Dimension nightclub in the 300 block of Myrtle Avenue directly across ...
This is all that's left of the article as the SGV Tribune has pulled it. BTW, thanks Tribune, that headline was really flattering for the city of Monrovia. Hope you sold a lot of newspapers that day.
All I'm pointing out is that most shootings happen in the am and are more likely to be gang related.
A similar thing happened at Dave & Busters at the Santa Anita mall last week and it also involved gangs. The Arcadia city council should come down hard on Dave & Busters for all the police resources they drain from that city but that's another topic.
As far as the Monrovia PD not focusing on other violent crimes, what makes you think they don't? I can't imagine what better things they would have to do then prevent another incident like this at their town squre.
Bottom line is this, somebody got killed out there and innocent people peforming a charity walk were endangered. Granted it happened at 2 am but it was in the city's center squre right next to the police station, supposedly the safest part of town.
It's up to the citizens and city council of Monrovia to decide how they want their Old Town and their city in general to be portrayed.
The club sounds ok but what's your solution, wait till it happens again? I'm all ears respectfully.
Interesting that the article was pulled...not surprised at all though! Monrovia is going to be protrayed how they see fit, it doesn't matter what the community says. Things happen here all of the time that they protray differently or spin differently. It's been happening since we became the All American City. Look at your local officials to change that, not the community. If this stuff gets out we look less attractive and house prices start dropping..think of all of the affects of that!

Do you live in Monrovia? Monrovia is not that large and for the most part if you are an active member you know exactly what is going on...that is why everyone calls it Mayberry here because everyone knows everyone (if you've lived here your whole life.) and knows everything about everyone and their siblings, parents, aunts, etc. There is no privacy here. We had a really great unit about 5 or so years ago. The cops patrolled the area well, had a lot of interaction with the community, made a great effort to clean up the drugs and problem areas not just patrole the easy hit citation areas and you actually felt safe. Now I feel like MPD doesn't have quite the handle on what "criminals" are exisiting or visiting or what is quite going on in the city, preventing crimes is the solution (I feel.)

I just don't want our city to revert back to the late 80's early 90's. That would be a nightmare.
Alternatives News Sources

La Puente, CA

#19 May 2, 2007
Playin poker wrote:
The sad part of this is that there could have been a statement made about how ironic it was that while a hundred or so people were in the park overnight, staying up and walking for a cause to help save lives, some idiot with a gun jeopardizes the lives of so many innocent people. Instead, it was minimalized into just another killing.
The gangter faction always talks about "respect". How can you respect anyone for whom life is cheap and that has no problem killing several innocent people in the hopes of killing his adversary. Murder over words or a look will not and should not garner anyone any respect. Fear is not the same as repsect. If they want respect, they should stand up and become men, instead of cowards hiding behind weapons.
This magazine is more in tune with the West SGV than the Pasadena Star News or the SGV Tribune. Too bad they only cover a small portion of San Gabriel Valley. It's a small but effective news operation.

http://www.mvn.tv/

The San Gabriel Valley is composed of these cities:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Gabriel_Vall...

It's everything included in the San Gabriel Valley COG

http://www.sgvcog.org/

An idea is floating around for the San Gabriel Valley to secede from LA County as there is currently a one way direction of tax revenue. We give tax revenue to LA county and they invest it anwhere but here.

Just look how the transportation funds were handled. They expaned the 101 over there on the West Side by taking funds that were supposed to go to fixing up the 10/605 interchange.

That news story was botched.
clarify

La Puente, CA

#20 May 2, 2007
Sorry I meant to say they fixed up the 134/170 connector instead.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/cali...

And don't get me wrong they needed it. However, it just goes to show you that the San Gabriel Valley is at the bottom of their priority list. We won't even get into trauma center funding that LA County keeps promising.

Trauma victims have to be trucked all the way to Huntington Memorial in Pasadena to recieve any medical attention. You can only imagine how many lives have been lost.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump on Chicago shooting: 'Just what I have be... 3 hr Ronald 6
News Authorities name 43-year-old man whose head, ha... 22 hr Oh well 1
News Milwaukee Riots After Police Shoot Black Suspec... Fri Go Blue Forever 163
News Walker knocks Clinton for her Milwaukee shootin... Fri Mite Be 325
News While Milwaukee Burns, Obama Plays Golf Fri Snidely70448 3
News Man sentenced to 17 years in 2013 homicide Aug 25 They cannot kill ... 2
News Jury Selection Expected in 2010 Mathis Murder Case (Apr '13) Aug 25 Sad 77
More from around the web