Spitzer: Prosecutors 'overreached' in...

Spitzer: Prosecutors 'overreached' in Zimmerman trial

There are 31 comments on the 4029TV.com story from Jul 18, 2013, titled Spitzer: Prosecutors 'overreached' in Zimmerman trial. In it, 4029TV.com reports that:

Democrat Eliot Spitzer, a former state attorney general and governor of New York, said Wednesday that prosecutors went too far in seeking a second-degree murder charge of George Zimmerman, and argued as a result "justice has not been served" in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 4029TV.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#22 Jul 18, 2013
Hey Terminix! This way!(Center left conservative, get out while you can).
Valirie

Philadelphia, PA

#23 Jul 18, 2013
This all came about because certain people started stirring an empty pot and those same certain people are still stirring that empty pot.they refuse to open their eyes and look beyond the end of their nose, that's racial ignorance pure and simple, its how all racist think and behave
Valirie

Philadelphia, PA

#25 Jul 18, 2013
If anyone is in doubt about racist and haters stirring the pot simply watch MSNBC, if you have conservative views you are attacked with thier foolish rants, and don't ever mention that Zimmerman is a free man. In fact they don't allow opposing opinion in thier programs.its all race baiting.
See the Light

El Paso, TX

#26 Jul 18, 2013
He's just doing what Dems do. Twist5 words, lie, and fabricate stories.
tom

London, UK

#27 Jul 18, 2013
The idea was that Zimmerman was being beaten to death yet there was no Zimmerman dna in Martin fingernails and Martins fists were not bruised despite allegedly having punched someone repeatedly for upto 40 times.
Martin was also much lighter than zimerman and that should have been taken into consideration.
Kelly

Rochester, NY

#31 Jul 19, 2013
Too many trials with cameras in the courtroom. This case should not have become National news. An overzealous neighborhood watchman follows a pedestrian, first in car and then on foot. Disaster happens. Because it went National, all of a sudden it is a 2nd degree murder charge? A lesser charge probably would have brought a conviction. Stand your ground needs to go if it means you can follow/stalk someone which leads to confrontation so you can shoot the person. Zimmermans actions ultimately caused the death of a teenager. His defense lawyer has already said that if Trayvons parents decide to file a civil suit, he will go to court and argue the stand your ground which would exempt him from liability. What kind of garbage is that? In addition I heard or read that they could even be responsible for Zimmermans legal fees. I just don't get it.

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#32 Jul 19, 2013
What kind of world do you live in? When you confront someone as Trayvon did, with violence and aggression, the other party get's to legally "Stand his ground" as Zimmerman did. Just think, If California had such a law, and Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman had been armed, They'd still be alive and that lying POS, OJ, would not be an expense to the Govt, in a prison, today!
My president was elected by dead people!
Regards, Terri
Kelly wrote:
Too many trials with cameras in the courtroom. This case should not have become National news. An overzealous neighborhood watchman follows a pedestrian, first in car and then on foot. Disaster happens. Because it went National, all of a sudden it is a 2nd degree murder charge? A lesser charge probably would have brought a conviction. Stand your ground needs to go if it means you can follow/stalk someone which leads to confrontation so you can shoot the person. Zimmermans actions ultimately caused the death of a teenager. His defense lawyer has already said that if Trayvons parents decide to file a civil suit, he will go to court and argue the stand your ground which would exempt him from liability. What kind of garbage is that? In addition I heard or read that they could even be responsible for Zimmermans legal fees. I just don't get it.
Robert

Douglasville, GA

#33 Jul 19, 2013
TerryE wrote:
What kind of world do you live in? When you confront someone as Trayvon did, with violence and aggression, the other party get's to legally "Stand his ground" as Zimmerman did. Just think, If California had such a law, and Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman had been armed, They'd still be alive and that lying POS, OJ, would not be an expense to the Govt, in a prison, today!
My president was elected by dead people!
Regards, Terri
<quoted text>
Zimmerman did not even so much as stand his ground, he was knocked to the ground and had his back to the ground. It was simple self defense, no stand your ground law needed to justify the shooting, it would have been a legal shoot even in California, I think. Where could he have retreated to.
Sheik Yerbouti

Doylestown, PA

#34 Jul 19, 2013
Eighthman wrote:
Obama be the bigot
He tried to rig it
He thought that he was powerful
Instead he's just a powderpuff..
Spitzer's on the soapbox
Telling us how to live
But he stuck it in a pay-box
Now he's got nothin' to give
Don't quit your day job. Oh, thats right you don't have one. Dylan Thomas you're not!!
bottlecap

Orlando, FL

#35 Jul 19, 2013
Eleanor wrote:
<quoted text>
IF you've ever been a juror on a murder trial, you would know how difficult it is to make such a serious decision.
What one may believe initially (like to convict) can change while listening to other jurors point out facts from the trial AND also point out things the prosecution FAILED to say.
When all is said and done the decision is based on "beyond reasonable doubt" and NOT "more likely than not".
I can say, from personal experience that it could be true that someone is 'more likely than not', guilty of murder and yet if the evidence presented leaves 'reasonable doubt', the consensus MUST BE to acquit.
I'm not saying that's what THIS particular jury did, but I know it can happen this way. When talking about sending a person to prison for life, jurors MUST BE CERTAIN there is NO DOUBT in rendering the decision of guilty... this is something they will live with for the rest of their lives.
Apparently in this case there was sufficient reasonable doubt in order to acquit.
YES---even President Obama AGREES with the Verdict! But, of course, he can't say it directly.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/... trayvon

The president added, "The judge conducted the trial in a professional manner. The prosecution and the defense made their arguments. The jurors were properly instructed that in a case such as this, REASONABLE DOUBT WAS RELEVANT and they rendered a verdict. And once the jury's spoken, that's how our system works."
----------
Trayvon was on top of George beating the Hell out of him, the shot was fired at point blank range and ZERO EVIDENCE was presented that George Initiated the Physical Attack, Pulled his Gun Out, Threatened to Kill Travon, etc.

Nothing: no eye-witnesses, no forensics, no video, no audio; NADA.

And, the PROSECUTION has to move its case BEYOND a REASONABLE DOUBT as they have the BURDEN OF PROOF. The Prosecution Did Not even come close to meeting its Burden.
Justin

United States

#36 Jul 22, 2013
This wouldn't be the first time that a guy guns down a black kid in the street and the walks after the the prosecution fails to get a conviction. Actually scenarios similiar to this happen every week.

The only thing that makes the Zimmerman case newsworthy (or tweet-worthy) in the eyes of the social media universe is the context of white on black. But why should that even matter?

We should thank George Zimmerman and his skin color for illustrating the obvious flaws in our legal system process.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Homicide rate in Knoxville, Knox County hits hi... 1 hr Mayor Madelyn 7
News If an assault weapons ban can't stop school sho... 3 hr Critical Eye 819
News Manhunt is on (Aug '06) 13 hr Florence Shellington 10
News Teens charged with violent crimes also linked t... 18 hr Bluntruth 1
News Reputed Gang Member Faces New Charges Fri Eye 4 N Eye 2
News Two Dead In Elgin Shooting (Jul '10) Wed Small Towner in OK 14
News Las Vegas man shot neighbor as he lay on ground... Wed Yikes 2