Murder defendant claims self-defense

Murder defendant claims self-defense

There are 92 comments on the Independent story from Mar 3, 2010, titled Murder defendant claims self-defense. In it, Independent reports that:

A Carter County jury will have to determine whether a man gunned down his neighbor in cold blood or in self-defense last summer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Independent.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Rhonda

Flatwoods, KY

#1 Mar 3, 2010
My uncle is only guilty of having a good heart and believing the troubled woman who lived down the street when she stated she needed a place to live so she could be free from an abusive husband. That's how my family has always been, help those in need, but this time it could cost my Uncle Tim time behind bars because the estranged Mrs. Lawrence couldn't control the drama in her own home and had to take it down the street. I think everyone needs to read the daily independent version of the trial, it was reported from the horses mouth so to speak, and is the most accurate account I have seen posted in the media. Seems to me the Lawrence family had issues long before this tragedy ever took place. Now we all have lost one man to death and possibly another to a murder that started out with one simple act of kindness. By the way congrats on your performance this evening on the news the estranged wife of Mrs. Lawrence, I would have given it an A for sympothy if I didnt know you and your family situation any better. By the way, if Uncle Tim didnt defend you that night and Richard would have had his way of things what would have happened to you, Hospital, Homeless Shelter, again?
Just courious.
yes

Ashland, KY

#2 Mar 3, 2010
Rhonda wrote:
My uncle is only guilty of having a good heart and believing the troubled woman who lived down the street when she stated she needed a place to live so she could be free from an abusive husband. That's how my family has always been, help those in need, but this time it could cost my Uncle Tim time behind bars because the estranged Mrs. Lawrence couldn't control the drama in her own home and had to take it down the street. I think everyone needs to read the daily independent version of the trial, it was reported from the horses mouth so to speak, and is the most accurate account I have seen posted in the media. Seems to me the Lawrence family had issues long before this tragedy ever took place. Now we all have lost one man to death and possibly another to a murder that started out with one simple act of kindness. By the way congrats on your performance this evening on the news the estranged wife of Mrs. Lawrence, I would have given it an A for sympothy if I didnt know you and your family situation any better. By the way, if Uncle Tim didnt defend you that night and Richard would have had his way of things what would have happened to you, Hospital, Homeless Shelter, again?
Just courious.
i agree with u! i know tim and know he wouldnt have done this out of pure cold blood. you are right when u ask her the question, "if tim didn't defend u then what would have happened not only to her BUT her daughter as well?" she didnt think about that before she got on that stand trying to get her emmy award. shame on her. i hope tim gets off this charge. i hope the jurors can see right through the bullshit that this barbara woman is feeding. there was an active dvo againt the man so WHY was in there to begin with? HE (the deceased) broke the law and tim simply defended his home and all who were in it..anyone would and if u say u wouldnt then your a lier or a coward one.
Angie

Richmond, KY

#3 Mar 3, 2010
Hummm, according to the Daily Independent, in the estranged wife’s testimony she said “Richard Lawrence had been drinking, but appeared to be in control of himself” yet she also testified that “she would remain at Emerson’s home because she had heard her husband had been drinking and he tended to be abusive when he was drunk.” I would highly encourage people to read up on both stories that the Daily Independent reported. In doing so, you can clearly see how the “estranged wife” cannot keep her story straight.
I know Tim a lot better than some people and I know that if he knew that problems were to escalate out of hand as it did that he would not want any problems and would ask the woman to find another place to go to. In addition, as far as Tim’s guns are concerned, Tim has always left his weapons within reach and out in the open. This does not mean that he had intent; that is just the way Tim has always been for as long as I can remember.
Tim took in those who were in need but if he knew that he would be stabbed in the back with accusations from the “estranged wife” then he would have left it alone. Self-defense came into play when his door was being kicked in and at that point and time, regardless who was present, he had the right to defend his home.
I would really like for the “estranged wife” to answer the previous questions that were asked from others who posted. In my opinion, she has to play the grieving widow because she wants the attention for herself. How dare her to turn on someone who only had her and her daughter’s best interest at heart. Shame on you Mrs. Estranged wife.
knows him

Elizabethtown, KY

#4 Mar 4, 2010
I have to agree with Rhonda on this one, where would the blabbering wife be if Tim hadnt helped her.As far as him sleeping with her, maybe but considering her fat ugly azz who would want to. But maybe he was desperate. Anywho Ive known Tim for a number of years, drunk,bum, dirty looking yes but a murder no,never. What ever happened to his wife Maryanne,are they still married.
My Opinion

Grayson, KY

#5 Mar 4, 2010
Any "man" (term used loosely) who abuses and hits a woman gets what he deserves. Justice was served. Let the accused go.(By the way, I don't know any of the parties involved).
corn-cob lawyer

Spring City, TN

#6 Mar 4, 2010
This performance should be on Animal Planet. This woman is a rabid coyote.
knows him

Elizabethtown, KY

#7 Mar 4, 2010
any update on whats going on today, hes the jury got it yet
Are You Serious

Ashland, KY

#8 Mar 4, 2010
Rhonda, you're here bitching about drama but you're clearly lovin' it yourself. Why in the hell would you post on a shit hole site like this and draw more attention to it??? Don't you have anything better to do?
If he did this in self defense why does one article say that the victim was retreating from the home when shot? There was no reason to shoot someone who was just kicking on the door. Call the damn police! It's no excuse. the law does NOT state that it's okay to shoot someone for harassing you or kicking your door. It's only self defense if they're in your home, armed...trying to hurt you.
And those who are blaming the wife...she does seem like a real idiot by going back to live with her child in a home which was just down the road from her terribly abusive husband but you know what? It's Tim's fault too. He LET her stay there didn't he? You're telling me he didn't know about the victims violent temper? Bull. Shit. Bullshit.
He was drunk and made a horrible "mistake". Too bad it's a mistake that may put him behind bars the rest of his life. That's what alcohol and drugs will do to you.
Castle Doctrine

Nicholasville, KY

#9 Mar 4, 2010
Are You Serious wrote:
There was no reason to shoot someone who was just kicking on the door. Call the damn police! It's no excuse. the law does NOT state that it's okay to shoot someone for harassing you or kicking your door. It's only self defense if they're in your home, armed...trying to hurt you.
I think you will find that the Kentucky Castle Doctrine enacted in 2006 actually DOES give a homeowner the right to use deadly force to protect his property or person.

In fact, a case in Lexington a couple of years ago was never indicted on basically the same set of circumstances. A drunk man went to the wrong house and started kicking the door. The home owner shot him through the door and killed him and because of the Castle Doctrine was never indicted.

Now, I have no knowledge of the case at hand, I am just commenting about the inacuracies posted in the above quote.
knows him

Ashland, KY

#10 Mar 4, 2010
Your are right about that law, if a perosn is attempting to break in on you ,you do have the right to protect your life and property. Im sure if he did indeed kick the door and it says on a trailer there will be kick marks on it to dispute the wifes story. You can bet your boots if someone tries to break in on me Im not gonna stand there smiling till he gets in and give him a chance to take my gun away form me not to mention getting his blood all over my floor. George Sparks can sweep him up outside from the porch. If hes trying to break in he isnt coming in to say howdy.
Agree

Nicholasville, KY

#11 Mar 4, 2010
knows him wrote:
Your are right about that law, if a perosn is attempting to break in on you ,you do have the right to protect your life and property. Im sure if he did indeed kick the door and it says on a trailer there will be kick marks on it to dispute the wifes story. You can bet your boots if someone tries to break in on me Im not gonna stand there smiling till he gets in and give him a chance to take my gun away form me not to mention getting his blood all over my floor. George Sparks can sweep him up outside from the porch. If hes trying to break in he isnt coming in to say howdy.
Exactly. I feel the same as you do and you are right, Ky. is one of the states that lets a person protect his home (castle). I know I will.
Angie

Richmond, KY

#12 Mar 4, 2010
To "are you serious,” let's get something straight! First of all Rhonda and I know a hell of a lot more than you apparently do. If you have seen pictures of the crime scene and knew the characteristic of those involved then you would know that the man was just not walking off as you have indicated. Just because someone says oh, he was walking off does not necessarily mean he was doing just that. The story is telling bits and pieces of what was said during testimony from the Commonwealth. The trial is not over with yet. If you do not know, your story then do not bother with your comments. Another thing, at least we are not hiding behind fictitious names. Why don't you let us know who you are? I think if anyone likes to gossip it would be you. Because we can ask the same question. Why are you on here reading this if you do not look for drama yourself?
Rhonda

Flatwoods, KY

#13 Mar 4, 2010
Are You Serious wrote:
Rhonda, you're here bitching about drama but you're clearly lovin' it yourself. Why in the hell would you post on a shit hole site like this and draw more attention to it??? Don't you have anything better to do?
If he did this in self defense why does one article say that the victim was retreating from the home when shot? There was no reason to shoot someone who was just kicking on the door. Call the damn police! It's no excuse. the law does NOT state that it's okay to shoot someone for harassing you or kicking your door. It's only self defense if they're in your home, armed...trying to hurt you.
And those who are blaming the wife...she does seem like a real idiot by going back to live with her child in a home which was just down the road from her terribly abusive husband but you know what? It's Tim's fault too. He LET her stay there didn't he? You're telling me he didn't know about the victims violent temper? Bull. Shit. Bullshit.
He was drunk and made a horrible "mistake". Too bad it's a mistake that may put him behind bars the rest of his life. That's what alcohol and drugs will do to you.
First of all anyone can drink if they are over the age of 21, and last time I checked if someone is in thier home then they can drink all they want and my uncle does not take drugs. Second of all I dont like drama anyone who knows me would afirm this fact. Third, using that type of language to make a point just shows a lack of intelligence as far as I am concerned. And lastly, no one on here must have been in the courtroom in the last few days because they would know that the wife and daughter have completly changed thier story from the orginal police reports and all the forensics and photographs from 8 Aug 2009 and have indicated that Tim was in fact defending himself and his property and those there in. As a footnote if you think that the website Topix is a terrible communication website, why are you even on here reading about the story and posting a reply?
To Rhonda

Ashland, KY

#14 Mar 4, 2010
I have known your uncle Tim for quiet sometime. I, however, have never met you though but do hope your uncle gets off this bullshit charge. He don't deserve this. I know people will get on here and run their mouth and say what they want and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. BUT for those who will bash Tim or say he deserves this doesn't know Tim and has never met him. I can guarantee if the people bashing Tim was to have known him then their opinion would be different. I do know that when a murder occurs the accused always claims self defense in hopes of getting a lesser charge or sentence. This is NOT the case here. I honestly believe if Tim meant to kill that guy on purpose in pure cold blood then by golly Tim would own up and say HELL YEAH I killed that man but NO Tim is claiming the truth and nothing but the truth and I believe him!!! I truly feel sorry for both families for they both are suffering but the Lawrence family needs to put blame where blame needs to be put. Mr. Lawrence (the deceased) should have NEVER been at Tims' house knowing there was an active DVO against him. HE broke the law. He went to Tims house DRUNK starting trouble by running his mouth. Anybody that goes to a house to confront someone about an affair (drunk mind you) is only asking for trouble and trouble is what he got. I believe Tims lawyer had a 911 recording of Barbara the night before stating she wanted Richard to be locked up. Then she recants and says that if he was to have went to jail then he would still be alive. NO!!!! If he would have kept his ass where he belonged then he would still be alive. ENOUGH SAID!!!!!
By the way, is it true that the Lawrence family filed a civil suit against Tim Emerson for the wrongful death of Richard? If so, then MAYBE just MAYBE that could be the reason she is turning he story around and trying to protect her estranged husband so she can get some MONEY.... HMMMM sounds odd to me.
hell yeah

Wagoner, OK

#15 Mar 4, 2010
i know tim well!! and i just gotta say this. i lived with tim for a while when he was tryin to get a divorce with maryanne dont know if he ever got it though. and let me tell you this while i was there he was a loving kind man who would give ya the shirt off his back. yes he did drink a few but he worked hard for his money and every thing he had if he wanted to drink a beer when he comes home so what!!!! and he stayed at home except when we went out so wtf. he earned it i also know that he did protect his home he never looked for trouble and he in my books is a wonderful man i know he will allways own a peice of my heart and to tims family you know who this is (red cavie) i hope he gets to come home soon!!!!!
Angie

Richmond, KY

#16 Mar 4, 2010
To Rhonda wrote:
I have known your uncle Tim for quiet sometime. I, however, have never met you though but do hope your uncle gets off this bullshit charge. He don't deserve this. I know people will get on here and run their mouth and say what they want and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. BUT for those who will bash Tim or say he deserves this doesn't know Tim and has never met him. I can guarantee if the people bashing Tim was to have known him then their opinion would be different. I do know that when a murder occurs the accused always claims self defense in hopes of getting a lesser charge or sentence. This is NOT the case here. I honestly believe if Tim meant to kill that guy on purpose in pure cold blood then by golly Tim would own up and say HELL YEAH I killed that man but NO Tim is claiming the truth and nothing but the truth and I believe him!!! I truly feel sorry for both families for they both are suffering but the Lawrence family needs to put blame where blame needs to be put. Mr. Lawrence (the deceased) should have NEVER been at Tims' house knowing there was an active DVO against him. HE broke the law. He went to Tims house DRUNK starting trouble by running his mouth. Anybody that goes to a house to confront someone about an affair (drunk mind you) is only asking for trouble and trouble is what he got. I believe Tims lawyer had a 911 recording of Barbara the night before stating she wanted Richard to be locked up. Then she recants and says that if he was to have went to jail then he would still be alive. NO!!!! If he would have kept his ass where he belonged then he would still be alive. ENOUGH SAID!!!!!
By the way, is it true that the Lawrence family filed a civil suit against Tim Emerson for the wrongful death of Richard? If so, then MAYBE just MAYBE that could be the reason she is turning he story around and trying to protect her estranged husband so she can get some MONEY.... HMMMM sounds odd to me.
Your right! If they really knew Tim, they would see what we see and that is kindness and a big heart. You are also right when you say that if Tim did do this he would own up to it. Tim is the type of person who is straightforward and does not keep anything back.
As far as the Lawrence family filing suit against Tim for the wrongful death of Richard, I am not aware of that but it would sure explain why she has recanted her story entirely. This is something that I will have to definitely check in to. That is a RED flag in it’s self….
hell yeah

Wagoner, OK

#17 Mar 4, 2010
o yeah i forgot to mention that woman on the news should get a oscar for the sickeist preformance in tv history especialy since he was defending your pathetic a**
TO ANGIE

Ashland, KY

#18 Mar 4, 2010
Angie wrote:
<quoted text>
Your right! If they really knew Tim, they would see what we see and that is kindness and a big heart. You are also right when you say that if Tim did do this he would own up to it. Tim is the type of person who is straightforward and does not keep anything back.
As far as the Lawrence family filing suit against Tim for the wrongful death of Richard, I am not aware of that but it would sure explain why she has recanted her story entirely. This is something that I will have to definitely check in to. That is a RED flag in it’s self….
yes, definately do check into the civil suit and see. first thing in the morning get ahold of tims lawyer and mentin this to him. it could help save time if it is true. good luck.
My Opinion

Grayson, KY

#19 Mar 4, 2010
hell yeah wrote:
i know tim well!! and i just gotta say this. i lived with tim for a while when he was tryin to get a divorce with maryanne dont know if he ever got it though. and let me tell you this while i was there he was a loving kind man who would give ya the shirt off his back. yes he did drink a few but he worked hard for his money and every thing he had if he wanted to drink a beer when he comes home so what!!!! and he stayed at home except when we went out so wtf. he earned it i also know that he did protect his home he never looked for trouble and he in my books is a wonderful man i know he will allways own a peice of my heart and to tims family you know who this is (red cavie) i hope he gets to come home soon!!!!!
If such praise is coming for this guy from an ex, he must be a really good person with a good heart. I don't know any of the parties involved, but in my opinion any "man" that hits and abuses a woman gets what he deserves. Justice was served. This guy Tim should be found NOT guilty. Just my opinion......
Ky-Girl

Richmond, KY

#20 Mar 4, 2010
Are You Serious wrote:
Rhonda, you're here bitching about drama but you're clearly lovin' it yourself. Why in the hell would you post on a shit hole site like this and draw more attention to it??? Don't you have anything better to do?
If he did this in self defense why does one article say that the victim was retreating from the home when shot? There was no reason to shoot someone who was just kicking on the door. Call the damn police! It's no excuse. the law does NOT state that it's okay to shoot someone for harassing you or kicking your door. It's only self defense if they're in your home, armed...trying to hurt you.
And those who are blaming the wife...she does seem like a real idiot by going back to live with her child in a home which was just down the road from her terribly abusive husband but you know what? It's Tim's fault too. He LET her stay there didn't he? You're telling me he didn't know about the victims violent temper? Bull. Shit. Bullshit.
He was drunk and made a horrible "mistake". Too bad it's a mistake that may put him behind bars the rest of his life. That's what alcohol and drugs will do to you.
Are you serious! I mean get real, a person only has to show intent and they most definitely do not need a weapon to show or cause harm. Would you let someone in your home if they were drunk, yelling, banging on the door, and trying to kick the door in with their foot? Wouldn’t you think that a person doing those things would be there to cause harm? Weapon or not! What planet are you from? One never knows what they would do until they are in a situation such as this. Besides, don’t you think the question can be asked of you as to why you read and reply to these post.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump campaign releases ad tying Democrats to m... 35 min Red Crosse 12
News Governor denies parole for Manson follower Lesl... 20 hr discocrisco 1
News City of Bardstown, former police chief McKenzie... 22 hr Marquaea 23
News Charges filed in Jackson County slaying (Dec '08) Sat Dennis 17
News Spielbauer capital murder trial: Jurors watch v... Sat Lily 1
News 45-year term in Vernon murder (Dec '09) Sat Bam bam 6
News Jeremy Hollis pleads not guilty on voluntary ma... (Dec '07) Fri Killian 88
More from around the web