Family of Three Including Toddler Murdered in Folsom NJ -1978

Posted in the Violent Crime Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 12

Newton, NJ

#1 Mar 15, 2012
I would like to learn any information regarding the execution of the Deal family in rural Atlantic County NJ- Folsom. The family was executed and it remains unsolved. No arrests or suspects. Very brutal- no known motive. Robbery not a motive. No known enemies- family was of modest means. No family issues.

There was very little media coverage- no follow up stories. A very cold case.

Any information would be appreciated.
Tom

Montgomery, AL

#2 Jun 22, 2012
I remember when that happened. I was 11 and the cops set-up a road block October 30th. My Mom got stopped and when she heard the news, she flew home and locked all the door and windows. It was a really scary time in the neighborhood. Everyday my schoolbus had to drive past that house...
Campbell

Newton, NJ

#3 Jun 22, 2012
Hi Tom- Do you recall anything else ? People in the area- Anybody talking aboutit? Anything at all? It as if it never happened please give me any info- anybody else I can communicate with? Thanks
Angel

Sicklerville, NJ

#4 Apr 12, 2013
Campbell wrote:
Hi Tom- Do you recall anything else ? People in the area- Anybody talking aboutit? Anything at all? It as if it never happened please give me any info- anybody else I can communicate with? Thanks
Campbell... What interest you so much in this murder? It was drug related.
nance

Williamstown, NJ

#6 Apr 12, 2013
i remember it well, I had just moved into the same town. I heard the father was in motorcycle gang and it was drug related.
Campbell

Hoboken, NJ

#7 Apr 12, 2013
nance wrote:
i remember it well, I had just moved into the same town. I heard the father was in motorcycle gang and it was drug related.
. Nance please tell me more-- describe area ? Any nicknames or club ? Anything I can verify thru other sources or against investigative file?

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#8 Apr 12, 2013
Campbell,
Gary Deal was my best friend in 1978. I can tell you he was not a member of a motorcycle club and he did NOT want to be a member of any club. He rode with a few friends, myself included and he did own a 1957 Harley Davidson Pan Head that was a daily driver and also was shown in many bike shows. Took best of show at the Philadelphia Civic center, I believe in 1975. He did have many biker friends and was well liked. He should not be portrayed as some outlaw biker involved in some big drug operation, therefore his death is meaningless. His only enemy at the time in 1978 was a $300.00 a month mortgage payment that he struggled to pay every month. I can't tell you how many times Gary borrowed money from me to pay his mortgage, but I can tell you that Gary always paid me back and was a true friend in every regard. Joan his wife was an angel and my son was named after Gary's three year old son, Jason. If Gary was involved in some drug deal, I can assure you, it was out of desperation and the only way that he felt he could provide for his family. They were good people, and to this day I stop at the cemetery in Hammonton where Gary is laid to rest and say hello. Unfortunately Joan and their son Jason are laid to rest somewhere in Philly. I have my own theory of who was involved in the family's murder and truly believe that those who were involved are now deceased or incarcerated for other unrelated crimes. I hope I was able to portray the Deal family as a good wholesome family. Gary loved life and loved people. There will never be another Gary Deal at least not in my lifetime. He was a gifted individual that was always positive, energetic, and so full of life. What a tragedy. Thank you for keeping their memory alive.
Angel

Sicklerville, NJ

#9 Apr 13, 2013
I live in the house that it happened in. People around here say that it was drug related but the family was not trouble makers at all. It's really a very said story... And so odd how there ist much about it in the archive papers or anything.
Campbell

Hoboken, NJ

#10 Apr 13, 2013
Angel wrote:
I live in the house that it happened in. People around here say that it was drug related but the family was not trouble makers at all. It's really a very said story... And so odd how there ist much about it in the archive papers or anything.
Thank you Angel - there is very little public record. A very similar crime happened about 35 miles away and a few years later-massive resources and publicity resulted in a conviction. Why not in this case? if it happened today it would great amount of attention.
Campbell

Hoboken, NJ

#11 Apr 13, 2013
Larry Lutz wrote:
Campbell,
Gary Deal was my best friend in 1978. I can tell you he was not a member of a motorcycle club and he did NOT want to be a member of any club. He rode with a few friends, myself included and he did own a 1957 Harley Davidson Pan Head that was a daily driver and also was shown in many bike shows. Took best of show at the Philadelphia Civic center, I believe in 1975. He did have many biker friends and was well liked. He should not be portrayed as some outlaw biker involved in some big drug operation, therefore his death is meaningless. His only enemy at the time in 1978 was a $300.00 a month mortgage payment that he struggled to pay every month. I can't tell you how many times Gary borrowed money from me to pay his mortgage, but I can tell you that Gary always paid me back and was a true friend in every regard. Joan his wife was an angel and my son was named after Gary's three year old son, Jason. If Gary was involved in some drug deal, I can assure you, it was out of desperation and the only way that he felt he could provide for his family. They were good people, and to this day I stop at the cemetery in Hammonton where Gary is laid to rest and say hello. Unfortunately Joan and their son Jason are laid to rest somewhere in Philly. I have my own theory of who was involved in the family's murder and truly believe that those who were involved are now deceased or incarcerated for other unrelated crimes. I hope I was able to portray the Deal family as a good wholesome family. Gary loved life and loved people. There will never be another Gary Deal at least not in my lifetime. He was a gifted individual that was always positive, energetic, and so full of life. What a tragedy. Thank you for keeping their memory alive.
Larry-thank you so much. I did not know any family members but I recall the crime like it was yesterday. when I worked in NJ State Prison and a very similar crime happened, it made me think of Deal tragedy and In 78 there simply were not many people capable of committing such an evil crime. there has to be a very small suspect pool. Would very much like to hear your theory.
Angel

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Apr 13, 2013
I read somewhere that a man named Louis Giambi was convicted for the Deal murders and another family murder in pine hill, apparently he was a hit man. So I've read.
Campbell

Wilmington, DE

#13 Apr 13, 2013
Angel wrote:
I read somewhere that a man named Louis Giambi was convicted for the Deal murders and another family murder in pine hill, apparently he was a hit man. So I've read.
Angel Giambi did Stuart murders in Pine Hill but others involved walked - he is still locked hard in Trenton- and is not " affiliated" on any level. but as cold as they come.
Angel

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Apr 14, 2013
Campbell wrote:
<quoted text> Angel Giambi did Stuart murders in Pine Hill but others involved walked - he is still locked hard in Trenton- and is not " affiliated" on any level. but as cold as they come.
Wow how about that... Freaky

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#15 Apr 18, 2013
Campbell, I can understand how people could believe that Lewis Giambi was involved in the Deal murders. As you said, in 1978 the pool of suspects would be rather small as those types of brutal murders rarely occurred. If I remember correctly, even though Giambi did kill the Stuart's years after the Deal murders, both family's were killed in the same manor. You gotta wonder. Angel may be on to something!
Campbell

New York, NY

#16 Apr 18, 2013
Yes- the Stuart murders were a "wrong house" hit. The first question with Deal murders- what could possibly be motive ? Somebody had some serious hate. Not random-thoughts on that Larry? Can contact me directly at wildwest1213@aol.com like to learn of your theory Thanks.
Tom

Montgomery, AL

#17 May 10, 2013
I remember that a night or two before the murder occured that I went to a Halloween party at the house across the street.

It was about 7pm and as my Mom tried to turn left into the driveway, we were almost hit by a car traveling at a high rate of speed without its headlights on.

The mom of the girl that was having the party was on the steps watching and said that the car came out of the Deal Family driveway.

My Mom reported this to the police when she was stopped at the roadblock. Never heard anything come of it.

I heard that the Deals were killed in the early morning hours though, so I don't know if this helps at all.
Angel

Sicklerville, NJ

#18 May 22, 2013
I sometimes wonder if it could have been a murder/suicide. Is that crazy?
Coleen

Philadelphia, PA

#19 May 26, 2013
I just recently found out about the Stuart triple murders. I moved to Pine Hill 3 years ago and my daughter just recently got a job at a local grocery store.When her manager found out where she lived he told her about the murders. Now I have found conflicting address for this. The local paper listed my house as address but somebody thought it was the house next door. Do any of you happen to know the right address?
Tracy Smith

Willingboro, NJ

#20 Jun 17, 2013
Hi there I would love to know what happened..my mother was a good friend of the family..i still pass the home every day..my family resides there..I was 4 when this happened...i have bn told that this was a mafia hit because of $ owed for cocaine to russians..now Idk how true this is...but thats the word from the old timers..and Idk for the life of me why ((even if it was true)) that they would kill a baby...I have had other suspicions...being that mays landing rd..runs to RT#54 and back then alot of people would be shipped from north jsy//new york down rt#54 2 a mental hospital for the criminally insane I believe it was in Vineland Nj ..well ((just 2 give u an idea)) I had suspicions that it could be a deranged lunatic,,,because my grandparents had lived on RT 54 all my life and around same time they had a man ((who had bn released--and was from north jsy + had bn down rt54 and was ""obsesssed" " w/ the house my grandparents owned..they were at work and my great uncle (thank-god) went home early as he's passing house he see's a man putting all ALL of my grandparents furniture out on the lawn---HE SD HE WAS THE "NEW TENNANT" well the state police came and to make a long story short..he was put back in that place...his mother would always write them apologizing..as he was a paranoid schizophrenic..we dont know what has become of him..but its very strange because the 2nd time he was let out...is when the family was murdered...now call me crazy..but I believe it could be someone who's not stable clearly..and I have always thought it may be him...I have no name..my grandparents are deceased..I wish my mom & uncle would have let me look as this had scared my grandparents terribly and I was told this story over & over again..and since they didnt know what happ 2 man..I was always watching over my shoulder growning up there...SO..IDK...COINCEDENCE? IDK but Id like 2 know how what & why this happened to Gary and his family..If u like U can contact me..e-mail tracysmith115@yahoo.com..we can talk and compare notes..i have more alot..but Im glad other people still remember this horrifying tragedy and keep it circulating..the police have to know something..Idk ..I think they know its just dna back then may be corrupted..idk somethings weird w. entire situatuion...well thats it for mow..maybe u know something else? Id love to see it solved before i close my eyes for good..this has terrified me all growing up..sad,.sad..sad...
Tracy Smith

Willingboro, NJ

#21 Jun 17, 2013
WANNA CLEAR SOMETHING...(I LIVED ON RT 54 NOT IN GARYS HOME...) MY GRANDPARENTS AND FAMILY HAVE LIVED THERE FOREVR MY GREAT GRANDFATHER ESTABLISHED FOLSOM..(NOT BRAGGING) BUT FOLSOMS OLD...BUT ALOT OF MY FAMILY STILL RESIDES THERE..UP IN MY POST IT LOOKS LIKE I SD I LIVED IN GARY'S HOME..NO AROUND CORNER ON RT 54 ALOT OF MY AUNTS & UNCLES LIVE ON MAYS LANDING RD...BUT I JUST WANTED 2 MAKE THAT CLEAR..ALSO I REMEMBER THE (F.B.I.) COMING 2 MY GANDPARENTS HOME WHEN THIS HAPPENED I WAS 4 1/2 YRS OLD..THEY TOOK GARYS PHONEBOOK AND PAID EVERYONE A VISIT...MY MOM AND UNCLE WERE VERY GD FRIENDS W/ GARY..SO THEY CAME ASKING QUESTIONS..MY MOM STILL TEARS UP JUST ASKING HER BT THAT DAY..SAD...OKK JUST WANTED TO MAKE THAT PART CLEAR...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
US considers banning type of popular rifle ammu... 1 hr payme 90
Erie man held for trial on charges in August ho... 1 hr Eileen Stallsmith 6
Video footage sought in Hillary trial 1 hr old dog 80
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN: Part 2 5 hr RonPrice 1
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN: Part 1 5 hr RonPrice 1
Third Bandido arrested in motorcycle bar shooting 7 hr Steve 12
Teen Girl Fatally Shot by Cops at Texas Police ... 11 hr what 18
More from around the web