Carlsbad police: Third teen arrested in drive-by shooting that wounded 6-year-old

There are 30 comments on the Carlsbad Current-Argus story from Jan 25, 2013, titled Carlsbad police: Third teen arrested in drive-by shooting that wounded 6-year-old. In it, Carlsbad Current-Argus reports that:

A third suspect has been arrested in the Carver Street shooting that wounded a 6-year-old Carlsbad girl, and he's talking to police.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Carlsbad Current-Argus.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Carlsbadite

Carlsbad, NM

#24 Jan 30, 2013
Omg wrote:
Talk about mass hysteria!!! Nobody said you could not own a gun or purchase a new one. Do you really need an assault weapon to protect your family or to hunt with? Do you really need the high powered ammo? Good grief take a breath and snap back into reality... We all know that nothing anyone does is gona keep the criminals and the crazy people from getting their hands on a weapon. But don't you think it would be a good idea if we made it a little harder for them to get their hands on them. Maybe the ones that are making the biggest stink out of this have something themselves to hide.
No one has said that I can own a gun without being portrayed as a lunatic either and that is what your post is saying. News flash! "Assault weapons" is simply a term that is COMPLETELY co-opted by anti-Second Amendment organizations and politicians to instill fear in people that don't know an assault weapon from a BB gun. A question for you. Do you hunt? If so you probably know some hunters that use a SEMI-automatic rifle to hunt with. It may or may not appear to be a military style weapon, but rest assured it has very similar characteristics and capabilities. AR-15's ARE used for hunting. It's the choice some hunters make. Another News flash! Most ammunition falls under the high power category. As a hunter you should know that a high powered load makes you more accurate, requires fewer shots and ultimately is more humane for the animal. You say that criminals and the "crazy people" would still get their hands on a weapon. Your answer to this is to take away my right and YOUR right to self-protection and further to compromise American rights as decided recently by the Supreme Court. You cement your thoughts on gun owners, American liberties and the Constitution with your last sentence.
Omg

Hobbs, NM

#25 Jan 30, 2013
Carlsbadite wrote:
<quoted text>
No one has said that I can own a gun without being portrayed as a lunatic either and that is what your post is saying. News flash! "Assault weapons" is simply a term that is COMPLETELY co-opted by anti-Second Amendment organizations and politicians to instill fear in people that don't know an assault weapon from a BB gun. A question for you. Do you hunt? If so you probably know some hunters that use a SEMI-automatic rifle to hunt with. It may or may not appear to be a military style weapon, but rest assured it has very similar characteristics and capabilities. AR-15's ARE used for hunting. It's the choice some hunters make. Another News flash! Most ammunition falls under the high power category. As a hunter you should know that a high powered load makes you more accurate, requires fewer shots and ultimately is more humane for the animal. You say that criminals and the "crazy people" would still get their hands on a weapon. Your answer to this is to take away my right and YOUR right to self-protection and further to compromise American rights as decided recently by the Supreme Court. You cement your thoughts on gun owners, American liberties and the Constitution with your last sentence.
News Flash!!! That is not what my post was saying. I am not portraying all gun owners as lunatics, but sorry when a grown ass man has to take his AR 15 to JC Pennys to show his take on the proposed new gun laws...then yes he is a lunatic. Yes I hunt, but I use a muzzle loader or a bow. And just an FYI, I own a 9
millimeter for protection. But hey I guess the business's that sell guns and ammo are making a hell of a profit. We are all entitled to our own opinions, you have yours and I have mine. Hey maybe they can bring back the Uzie so that the next disgruntled schizo can get his hands on one and open fire in Walmart....

Since: Apr 12

Carlsbad, NM

#26 Jan 30, 2013
It all just makes zero sense. Banning weapons labeled as "Assault Rifles" to curb murder? That is akin to banning Scotch to prevent drunk driving. Everyone is focused on the wrong issue. Instead of blaming the weapons lets blame the people pulling the trigger. Lets blame our government and judicial system for not properly and fully enforcing the existing laws regarding firearms. There are people serving longer prison sentences for income tax evasion than for armed robbery. Writing new laws to stop criminals? They don't care, if a man wants to kill he will find a way. Murder existed before guns and would still exist if they were all destroyed tomorrow. On top of all of that the simple statistics show that assault weapons are used for a tiny fraction of all murder in this country.

You are worried about someone with a rifle on their back at JC Penney? I am more concerned about the unregistered sex offender living in my neighborhood without any of us knowing about it.
bob

Carlsbad, NM

#27 Jan 30, 2013
by all means, register. we'll all feel better.
Carlsbad 2

Carlsbad, NM

#28 Jan 31, 2013
What the hell, people? Isn't this topic supposed to be about the three b@st@rds who did the drive by. Regardless of what your stance is on the gun issue, we should ALL agree that these three punks shouldn't have had one and that a little girl was almost killed.

Lets discuss what should happen to the shooters, not our paranoias that our guns are going to be taken away. Two different issues!

I say try these three f@*#ers as adults and send them to prison.

Since: Feb 09

Carlsbad, NM

#29 Jan 31, 2013
Carlsbad 2 wrote:
What the hell, people? Isn't this topic supposed to be about the three b@st@rds who did the drive by. Regardless of what your stance is on the gun issue, we should ALL agree that these three punks shouldn't have had one and that a little girl was almost killed.
Lets discuss what should happen to the shooters, not our paranoias that our guns are going to be taken away. Two different issues!
I say try these three f@*#ers as adults and send them to prison.
you are right....but what will stop these little thugs with no jobs and nothing better to do than get high and get stupid and get guns.....one thing is to not have the availablitiy of guns...another...not have the availability of drugs...another..not have the availablitity of stupidness...its hard to be stupid when you are shoveling in the mines.....or swinging a sledgehammer on the oil rigs...etc....so the prudent thing to do would be work backwards again...make these kids work....if they dont have jobs...put them on chain gangs...pay them of course....if they are caught with guns and dont have jobs then put them in prison chain gangs....dont pay them of course....if they are caught with drugs....then make them do community service ....no pay...if they are caught stealing or breaking into cars etc....put them in county lockup and chain gangs....again no pay....and keep drug testing them....and stand there and watch them since most of them will have their little daughter pee for them in a balloon and keep getting away with it....isnt that very disgracefull...that a grown man would have their little kids be part of their dishonor by having to use their pee for drug testing.....cut their nuts off if they are caught cheating on drug testing that way they have no place to hide the kids sample...anyother suggestions....

Since: Apr 12

Carlsbad, NM

#30 Jan 31, 2013
ellvis wrote:
<quoted text>you are right....but what will stop these little thugs with no jobs and nothing better to do than get high and get stupid and get guns.....one thing is to not have the availablitiy of guns...another...not have the availability of drugs...another..not have the availablitity of stupidness...its hard to be stupid when you are shoveling in the mines.....or swinging a sledgehammer on the oil rigs...etc....so the prudent thing to do would be work backwards again...make these kids work....if they dont have jobs...put them on chain gangs...pay them of course....if they are caught with guns and dont have jobs then put them in prison chain gangs....dont pay them of course....if they are caught with drugs....then make them do community service ....no pay...if they are caught stealing or breaking into cars etc....put them in county lockup and chain gangs....again no pay....and keep drug testing them....and stand there and watch them since most of them will have their little daughter pee for them in a balloon and keep getting away with it....isnt that very disgracefull...that a grown man would have their little kids be part of their dishonor by having to use their pee for drug testing.....cut their nuts off if they are caught cheating on drug testing that way they have no place to hide the kids sample...anyother suggestions....
Seems to me that once upon a time the father figure in their respective families would have quashed this issue long before it ever reared it's head. This is just another side effect of the breakdown of our society. Our government, media and entertainment outlets all push agendas that directly degrade the morality of this country. No amount of legislature is going to change anything without directly removing the rights and freedoms that we are promised by our constitution. Our youth are indoctrinated to think that this type of behavior is somehow glamorous. That drug use and promiscuity should be commonplace. They are taught that being unwilling to work hard in life is okay because the government will take care of them. The idealism of a functioning family unit has almost been completely wiped off the map.

What to do with these kids? There is nothing that you can do at this point. Either they will hit a tipping point and turn their lives around or they will keep going down the toilet. The judicial system will lock them up for a short time. After that time they will return to the groups that they are a part of and continue on the downward spiral. Is that justice served? I think it is more injustice towards the 3 offenders than it is justice for the victim.

Why is anyone surprised? These kids don't have wholesome role models. They have rap musicians who preach violence, sex and drugs. They have athletes that are greedy and constantly embroiled in off the field legal woes.

Vicious circle
robert rehrig

Carlsbad, NM

#31 Feb 19, 2013
the office of the da needs an overhall get someone in there that will put these punks in jail,and also bring the parents up on charges. i also agree shoot these punks and if i am on the jury you will get a not guilty from me also.
2nd amendment right

Carlsbad, NM

#32 Feb 19, 2013
listen up folks, if a man gets drunk and behind the wheel, and kills a entire family of 5 for instance, should the system, ban the truck he was driving?? or close down the liqour establishment that sold him the alcohol?same thing with the assault weapons, they should go after the individual,its man that kills people not the weapons.whats going to happen, is were going to end up like mexico,where the normal individual cant own or posses a weapon, down there in mexico only the military, law enforcement and drug cartels,have weapons, the average citizen has nothing to protect themselves.
walter

Lovington, NM

#33 Feb 20, 2013
robert rehrig wrote:
the office of the da needs an overhall get someone in there that will put these punks in jail,and also bring the parents up on charges. i also agree shoot these punks and if i am on the jury you will get a not guilty from me also.
Nothing will happen to these punks,,,they are victims of society . They will be slapped on the wrist and sent on to CHS, let the system cater to them,this is Carlsbad remember?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Person wanted in fatal shooting found walking a... 34 min Erica J 5
News Cleveland protests erupt after officer found no... 1 hr Le Jimbo 102
News This Isn't The First Time Mike Huckabee Has Sid... 4 hr swedenforever 8
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 7 hr Rosa_Winkel 118
News Streets calm after 71 arrested in Cleveland pro... 10 hr Silent Echo 23
News Messer found guilty of murder (Feb '07) 14 hr mmmmmm 241
News Cadiz native dead after Murray shooting (Jul '12) Mon barb 59
More from around the web