Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils ...

Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils of Lax U.S. Gun Laws

There are 9850 comments on the Bloomberg story from Mar 20, 2012, titled Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils of Lax U.S. Gun Laws. In it, Bloomberg reports that:

The Justice Department opened an investigation this week into the killing of Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old high school student who was shot dead on Feb.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bloomberg.

Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#5489 Jul 5, 2012
Michael Allred wrote:
<quoted text>
Jealous? heh
Highly doubtful.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#5490 Jul 5, 2012
Michael Allred wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said...
Nobody cares mikey.

“always”

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#5491 Jul 5, 2012
teeje63 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's amusing how the lies prove GZ is a murdered, but the St. Tray supporters have no problem with the lies from Tracy Martin.
What Tracy Martin has to say is irrelevant, he wasn't there and only knows what his attorney was able to pry out of the Sanford police who were stonewalling.

George Zimmerman is on trial for 2nd degree murder and his wife Shellie is facing trial for felony perjury.

Tracy Martin in "not" on trial for anything and has nothing earth shattering to offer as a witness.

LMAO at teeje calling someone else a liar.
Deborah Marie

Winter Park, FL

#5492 Jul 5, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
I would recommend people on a neighborhood watch alone or in a group think of themselves as eyes only.
Your cell phone calling 911 then giving clear and detailed information is your weapon against crime.
If it is not clear by now back off and let your tax dollars do the heavy lifting.
Sometimes it is better to be John Doe then John Wayne.

911 is for emergency not suspicious activity. Call the police department dispatch for non emergency calls.
Deborah Marie

Winter Park, FL

#5493 Jul 5, 2012
911 is for emergency not suspicious activity. call the police department dispatch for all not emergency calls.

“Proud Southerner”

Since: Feb 09

Solsberry, IN

#5494 Jul 5, 2012
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>What Tracy Martin has to say is irrelevant, he wasn't there and only knows what his attorney was able to pry out of the Sanford police who were stonewalling.
George Zimmerman is on trial for 2nd degree murder and his wife Shellie is facing trial for felony perjury.
Tracy Martin in "not" on trial for anything and has nothing earth shattering to offer as a witness.
Oh, so it's OK for Tracy Martin to lie to LEO's who are investigating his son's death? Why would TM lie? What is he hiding? You're right, he's not on trial, but WHY would he lie to investigators about his son's whereabouts? WHY would he lie about the school suspension? Better yet, WHY, when he finally drug his butt home that night and saw all the police activity in his GF's neighborhood, knew his son went to the store and didn't return, WHY did he not go out and find out what was going on? Why did he wait until the next morning to report St. Tray missing? WHY, as a parent of a problem "child"(as you all like to refer to St. Tray), was he OK with St. Tray roaming the streets all night long? Why was he not being a parent and punishing St. Tray for his bad behavior?
When you're demanding honesty and answers from others, you need to be honest yourself. Listening to TM's missing person call, I think he was still drunk/stoned from the night before. I think TM has something to hide which is why he didn't do anything to find St. Tray the night before.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#5495 Jul 5, 2012
The apple rarely falls far form the tree.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#5496 Jul 5, 2012
"from"

“always”

Ticklaw

#5497 Jul 5, 2012
One Million Dollar$ bond says that Judge Lester "really" doesn't trust George Zimmerman.

O'Mara is likely to want off this case and given Georges behavior that could be an easy deal.

“always”

Ticklaw

#5498 Jul 5, 2012
teeje63 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, so it's OK for Tracy Martin to lie to LEO's who are investigating his son's death? Why would TM lie? What is he hiding? You're right, he's not on trial, but WHY would he lie to investigators about his son's whereabouts? WHY would he lie about the school suspension? Better yet, WHY, when he finally drug his butt home that night and saw all the police activity in his GF's neighborhood, knew his son went to the store and didn't return, WHY did he not go out and find out what was going on? Why did he wait until the next morning to report St. Tray missing? WHY, as a parent of a problem "child"(as you all like to refer to St. Tray), was he OK with St. Tray roaming the streets all night long? Why was he not being a parent and punishing St. Tray for his bad behavior?
When you're demanding honesty and answers from others, you need to be honest yourself. Listening to TM's missing person call, I think he was still drunk/stoned from the night before. I think TM has something to hide which is why he didn't do anything to find St. Tray the night before.
I'm not sure about what lies you're referring to lady. Tracy Martin wasn't around that evening and may have been uncertain on some details. Zimmerman's calls to LE put the teen in the Retreat at X time and Cutcher's 911 call puts the teen dead at a particular time. Tracy's testimony is not even necessary. His parenting skills along with any prior bad acts are not a part of this case.

George had zero clue who Trayvon was yet he recognized him to be a danger to the community. Why?

“Proud Southerner”

Solsberry, IN

#5499 Jul 5, 2012
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sure about what lies you're referring to lady. Tracy Martin wasn't around that evening and may have been uncertain on some details. Zimmerman's calls to LE put the teen in the Retreat at X time and Cutcher's 911 call puts the teen dead at a particular time. Tracy's testimony is not even necessary. His parenting skills along with any prior bad acts are not a part of this case.
George had zero clue who Trayvon was yet he recognized him to be a danger to the community. Why?
You can remember each little inconsistency in GZ's statement, but you can't recall any of the lies told by Tracy Martin? Wow, selective memory? Let me refresh your memory.
-Tracy Martin told LE that his son, St. Tray went to the store during the halftime portion of the All Star game. LIE. The game did not start until 7:30PM, St. Tray was dead at 7:19PM. Furthermore, Tracy Martin had NO clue what time his son left as he was not at home.
-Tracy Martin told LE that he last saw his son around 8-8:30PM. LIE. Another impossibility, according to the ME. And again, Tracy Martin was NOT at home, parenting his problem son.
-Tracy Martin told LE when he heard the 911 tapes that the voice screaming for help was NOT his son's voice. Then after a little coaching from the moron Crump changed his story and stated it was his son's voice. LIE.
And yes, his parenting skills, or lack of are most definitely a part of this case. Had he and Fulton acted as responsible parents and addressed St. Tray's bad behavior and obviously disregard for the law and authority, their son might still be alive. But no, they rewarded his bad behavior. What sensible parent of a kid who has been suspended 3 times in one school year, rewards that kid with a vacation? Better yet, what kind of parent finds it acceptable for a 17 year old, who has been suspended from school 3 times, to stay out and roam the streets all night long? Tracy Martin has a problem with authority as well, as is evidenced in his statement that he allowed St. Tray to operate his motorcycle on the Ronald Reagan Turnpike. St. Tray does not have a motorcycle endorsement on his license, wait this 17 year old wonder boy didn't even have a drivers license. Two violations in one incident, approved by super dad.

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5500 Jul 5, 2012
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>Pretty sure I've already agreed that Martin knocked the shyt out of Zimmerman, my question right along has been, "why would a young kid get into a fight with a total stranger in a far away place?"
I mentioned brandishing for it's one sensible explanation and while I have no proof that occurred, you have no proof that it didn't. Chris Serino, who was right there at the scene speaking with George and then spoke to George during the following two days suspected that George attempted to detain Trayvon against his will. For that reason Serino wanted to charge George with manslaughter and book him. My questions then have merit.
Would you prefer peashooter to describe the inexpensive plastic Kel Tek pocket weapon?
George lied about the pass port and allowed his wife to misrepresent the finances while she was under oath. Recall that his mother and father were in that same remote room when Shellie lied so by proxy that incident cast doubt on their credibility.
My position again has merit based on how quickly O'Mara ditched his pro bono status. He doesn't trust any of the Zimmermans either.
You would have to ask Martin that question. Young people do a lot of things they shouldnít. The injuries to Zimmerman scream ambush. Explain why Martin had no defensive injuries.

Explain these actions by Martin as reported by Zimmerman during the 911 call

Somethingís wrong with him. Yep, heís coming to check me out.

Heís running.

Itís a home. Itís 1950 Ė oh, crap, I donít want to give it out Ė I donít know where this kid is

Martin came to check Zimmerman out, he ran and Zimmerman lost track of him. Do you honest believe George could have caught up with a running Martin? Especially after losing him.

Serrino can speculate all he likes, speculation is not evidence. Whatís Serrinoís evidence Zimmerman brandished? Whatís yours?

Frankly I donít care what you call the pistol, your choice of words reveals your bias just as your dismissal of facts reveals your bias in this case.

Did George actually lie about the passport? The judge didnít seem to think so. The judge didnít like the deception over finances. Once again, why was Zimmerman wasnít charged for perjury but his wife was?

OíMara initially planned to take the case on a pro bono basis, but changed his mind when he learned of the avalanche of gifts from the public. Source: http://sdvoice.info/zimmerman-legal-fund-is-g...

Not an issue of trust, how did you manage that conclusion anyway?

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5501 Jul 5, 2012
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple.
Because it was she who filled out the questionaire that asked of finances and Z did not know what was in the donation "account".
More or less my point. If Zimmerman had directly lied he would have been charged as well.

“Proud Southerner”

Solsberry, IN

#5502 Jul 5, 2012
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
You would have to ask Martin that question. Young people do a lot of things they shouldnít. The injuries to Zimmerman scream ambush. Explain why Martin had no defensive injuries.
Explain these actions by Martin as reported by Zimmerman during the 911 call
Somethingís wrong with him. Yep, heís coming to check me out.
Heís running.
Itís a home. Itís 1950 Ė oh, crap, I donít want to give it out Ė I donít know where this kid is
Martin came to check Zimmerman out, he ran and Zimmerman lost track of him. Do you honest believe George could have caught up with a running Martin? Especially after losing him.
Serrino can speculate all he likes, speculation is not evidence. Whatís Serrinoís evidence Zimmerman brandished? Whatís yours?
Frankly I donít care what you call the pistol, your choice of words reveals your bias just as your dismissal of facts reveals your bias in this case.
Did George actually lie about the passport? The judge didnít seem to think so. The judge didnít like the deception over finances. Once again, why was Zimmerman wasnít charged for perjury but his wife was?
OíMara initially planned to take the case on a pro bono basis, but changed his mind when he learned of the avalanche of gifts from the public. Source: http://sdvoice.info/zimmerman-legal-fund-is-g...
Not an issue of trust, how did you manage that conclusion anyway?
I believe that the only reason Shellie Zimmerman was charged, was to further attempt to taint any potential jury pool. Angela Corey has not case, and given the locals opinion on the case, won't get a conviction out of Seminole county. But to sway public opinion on GZ and his wife, could sway a jury. Just as the statements from GZ's ex-girlfriend, witness #9. This disgruntled ex did not witness anything on 02/26, nor can she prove any part of her statement that GZ used racial slurs.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5503 Jul 5, 2012
RuffnReddy wrote:
Wow, the lack of reading comprehension skills on this thread are only surpassed by the "calls for arrest thread" where the crazy ron crew lies day and night...along with a few posting here under different names.
Whatever, everyone wants to disagree but no one has a reasonable explanation that takes into account that the first responding LEO's didn't believe what George was telling them.
We've all since learned that George has had bouts with dishonesty going way back and even managed to fk up his original bond due to assisting his wife in shuffling over $100K around and then sitting silently while she stated under oath that her and George were penniless. Oh and the passport shuffle was classic.
Beyond George pizzing off the Judge he enraged his pro bona attorney who certainly had a come to Jesus meeting with George.
Looks to me like you all have hitched your wagons to a turd.
If law enforcement didnít believe his story they probably would have arrested him the first night. The physical evidence supports Zimmermanís statement. Given that, they legally couldnít arrest Zimmerman.

What the first responders thought isnít all that relevant. The investigators examined the scene and interviewed Zimmerman.

The official statement was

Why was George Zimmerman not arrested the night of the shooting?
When the Sanford Police Department arrived at the scene of the incident, Mr.
Zimmerman provided a statement claiming he acted in self defense which at the time
was supported by physical evidence and testimony. By Florida Statute, law
enforcement was PROHIBITED from making an arrest based on the facts and
circumstances they had at the time. Additionally, when any police officer makes an
arrest for any reason, the officer MUST swear and affirm that he/she is making the
arrest in good faith and with probable cause. If the arrest is done maliciously and in
bad faith, the officer and the City may be held liable.

According to Florida Statute 776.032 :
776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use
of force.ó
(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is
justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action
for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law
enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance
of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance
with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have
known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the
term ďcriminal prosecutionĒ includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or
prosecuting the defendant.
(2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the
use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the
person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the
force that was used was unlawful.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5504 Jul 5, 2012
Michael Allred wrote:
<quoted text>
Jealous? heh
Of you? Never, youíre pathetic.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5505 Jul 5, 2012
RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>What Tracy Martin has to say is irrelevant, he wasn't there and only knows what his attorney was able to pry out of the Sanford police who were stonewalling.
No, what Tracy Martin says isnít relevant to the case. He wasnít a witness to the incident.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5506 Jul 5, 2012
RuffnReddy wrote:
One Million Dollar$ bond says that Judge Lester "really" doesn't trust George Zimmerman.
O'Mara is likely to want off this case and given Georges behavior that could be an easy deal.
Lester is an assuming idiot and is bowing to political pressures.

He stated the following

"It is entirely reasonable for this court to find that, but for the requirement that he be placed on electronic monitoring, the defendant and his wife would have fled the United States with at least $130,000 of other people's money," Lester wrote. Source: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/05/2882581...

He stated if not for the electronic monitoring Zimmerman and his wife would have fled. How does he know that to be fact? The reality is Zimmermanís attorney had possession of the funds after the initial bond hearing. He had no access to those funds and Lester knows that.

The charges against Zimmermanís wife have yet to be proven. And again, why wasnít George charged with perjury? Do explain that.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5507 Jul 5, 2012
teeje63 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that the only reason Shellie Zimmerman was charged, was to further attempt to taint any potential jury pool. Angela Corey has not case, and given the locals opinion on the case, won't get a conviction out of Seminole county. But to sway public opinion on GZ and his wife, could sway a jury. Just as the statements from GZ's ex-girlfriend, witness #9. This disgruntled ex did not witness anything on 02/26, nor can she prove any part of her statement that GZ used racial slurs.
I would never accept the word of someoneís ex-girlfriend in a case like this. Most have an axe to grind.

“Put the X Back in X-Mas.”

Norman, Oklahoma

#5508 Jul 5, 2012
eternal cynic wrote:
Of you?
Well, your protestations tend to belie your obsessions... heh

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: Jimmy Kimmel squarely blames Trump,... 3 hr big tiki 18
News Gerald Stanley acquittal renews calls for justi... 7 hr Adolf 9
News Burke Ramsey, JonBenet's brother, sues CBS in $... (Feb '17) 10 hr KCinNYC 123
News Laura Ingraham Hosts Segment On 'Safe' AR-15 Ho... 11 hr General Kabaka Oba 25
News Parkland, where the school shooting occurred, w... 13 hr MurphyMobile 10
News The Latest: Experts counsel shooting survivors ... 15 hr xyz 1
News NC lawmakers sidestep questions after mass shoo... 16 hr Say What 2
More from around the web