Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils ...

Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils of Lax U.S. Gun Laws

There are 9850 comments on the Bloomberg story from Mar 20, 2012, titled Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils of Lax U.S. Gun Laws. In it, Bloomberg reports that:

The Justice Department opened an investigation this week into the killing of Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old high school student who was shot dead on Feb.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bloomberg.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3941 Jun 1, 2012
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, that’s clear by the way some of the thugs shoot by holding the pistol sideways. They’re styling. Atlanta has a similar problem with innocents killed by stray bullets.
"The man had been banned from the artsy cafe for acting out, but that didn't stop him from walking in, taking a seat at the bar and trying to place an order. After the barista declined to serve him, he stood up, took out a gun and shot the man next to him.

Then he worked his way up the bar, calmly taking life after life from the people seated there or scrambling for cover. One man tried to stop him.

Grabbing the only weapons at hand -- bar stools -- he tossed them at the gunman, even as the man aimed at him, Seattle Assistant Police Chief Jim Pugel said Thursday after reviewing harrowing surveillance video of the massacre. The tactic created enough of a delay in the shooting that two or three other customers were able to bolt out the door to safety.

...By the time Ian Lee Stawicki's rampage was over, five people had been shot in Cafe Racer -- four fatally, including two musicians who frequently played there.

The gunman put his two .45-caliber handguns in his pocket, then bent down, picked a bowler-style hat off the head of one of his dead victims, placed it on his own head and walked out.

He fled first to downtown Seattle, where he shot a woman to death while stealing her black Mercedes sports-utility vehicle, then drove it to West Seattle, where he met up with an old friend who had no idea what he'd done, police said."

boston.com

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

#3942 Jun 1, 2012
menards wrote:
Who has read Zimmermans Neighborhood Watch Newsletter? It illustrates a extremely paranoid individual. From the newsletter, Zimmerman defines a "suspicious individual" as one who wears, "caps, bandanas, hoodies, baggy clothing, or other gang-related apparal" and if any individual is seen walking the neighborhood to call 911 immediately as the "individual is likely casing homes looking for easy target to rob" Seriously? Even more chilling, Zimmermans published segment on listening for "suspicious sounds" (keep in mind this was published before the shooting) and comparing that with accounts of that night. It appears that zimmerman laid out a road map for himself to murder a kid.
Have a link to the newsletter?

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

#3943 Jun 1, 2012
Provocateur wrote:
Background on Florida concealed weapon law: http://johnbenneth.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/t...
 Florida requires a history of violence report for carry permit that would have included a violent brush with the cops.
A domestic violence charge is all it takes for the law or the cops to demand surrender of your guns. Did Zimmerman have a concealed weapons permit in 2005, and if he did, was he required to turn in his pistol and any other guns he had? Or did he get yet another pass on that one to go along side his get out of jail free card.
Then there’s the concealed weapons permit questionnaire. Did Zimmerman fill one of these out? Here’s some of the questions:
“Have you had adjudication of guilt withheld on any felony?” That could be a yes. I presume attacking a cop is a felony. But conviction was withheld when he entered a pretrial diversion program.
“Have you received a suspended sentence on any felony?” That could also be a yes.
Why isn’t anyone demanding that Zimmerman turn over his guns?
Yes, they may seize the guns temporarily based on the charge alone. However, they must be returned if there’s no conviction.

You are being dishonest on this. Zimmerman wasn’t charged with domestic violence. Mutual restraining orders were issued.

Currently Zimmerman may not be in possession of a firearm as part of his bond agreement. Why would anyone demand Zimmerman turn over his gun? The police already have it.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3944 Jun 1, 2012
"Yesterday afternoon, around the time that presumed mass-shooter Ian Stawicki was being rushed to Harborview with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, reporters across Seattle were busy compiling the barest outlines of his character.

Today, the City Attorney's office released its limited rap sheet on Stawicki, which details his concealed weapons permits, details the six firearms—three of them 45-caliber and three of them 9 millimeter—he was known to have registered, and confirms his arrest carrying a switchblade in 2009 and another arrest for domestic violence in 2008. "
Wade

Tishomingo, MS

#3945 Jun 1, 2012
Provocateur wrote:
Background on Florida concealed weapon law: http://johnbenneth.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/t...
Florida requires a history of violence report for carry permit that would have included a violent brush with the cops.
A domestic violence charge is all it takes for the law or the cops to demand surrender of your guns. Did Zimmerman have a concealed weapons permit in 2005, and if he did, was he required to turn in his pistol and any other guns he had? Or did he get yet another pass on that one to go along side his get out of jail free card.
Then there’s the concealed weapons permit questionnaire. Did Zimmerman fill one of these out? Here’s some of the questions:
“Have you had adjudication of guilt withheld on any felony?” That could be a yes. I presume attacking a cop is a felony. But conviction was withheld when he entered a pretrial diversion program.
“Have you received a suspended sentence on any felony?” That could also be a yes.
Why isn’t anyone demanding that Zimmerman turn over his guns?
Wow, another link that we are supposed to just eat up like it's the gospel.
Your link is filled with half truths, implied conclusions, untruths, and no cited references to add any validity to the obviously biased article.
And to answer your question, because Zimmerman has to first be convicted of a felony before he no longer has a right to possess firearms.
Wade

Tishomingo, MS

#3946 Jun 1, 2012
OregonSUX wrote:
"Yesterday afternoon, around the time that presumed mass-shooter Ian Stawicki was being rushed to Harborview with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, reporters across Seattle were busy compiling the barest outlines of his character.

Today, the City Attorney's office released its limited rap sheet on Stawicki, which details his concealed weapons permits, details the six firearms—three of them 45-caliber and three of them 9 millimeter—he was known to have registered, and confirms his arrest carrying a switchblade in 2009 and another arrest for domestic violence in 2008. "
And two more articles you think make your point. The problem with that is: Seattle has some of the most liberal minded laws and strictest gun laws in the country, so you are actually making our point for us.
Compare crime rates in Seattle WA vs. crime rates in Kennesaw GA.
Enough said.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#3947 Jun 1, 2012
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Have a link to the newsletter?
Google is your friend. All of them have been made public and are published on various sites

“always”

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#3948 Jun 1, 2012
Orlando Sentinel reports this morning that attorney Don West a murder specialist has joined Zimmerman's
defense team. In a related article some of the types of evidence both sides are trying to have Judge Lester seal is outlined and includes George Zimmerman's cell phone records. Hmmm!

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#3949 Jun 1, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Look up "observe and report".
Frank Luntz, is that you? Maybe Zimmerman was really near sighted and needed to be within arms length in order to observe.

“Facts exist, even when ignored”

Since: Feb 07

Somewhere in Indiana

#3950 Jun 1, 2012
OregonSUX wrote:
"Yesterday afternoon, around the time that presumed mass-shooter Ian Stawicki was being rushed to Harborview with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, reporters across Seattle were busy compiling the barest outlines of his character.
Today, the City Attorney's office released its limited rap sheet on Stawicki, which details his concealed weapons permits, details the six firearms—three of them 45-caliber and three of them 9 millimeter—he was known to have registered, and confirms his arrest carrying a switchblade in 2009 and another arrest for domestic violence in 2008. "
He had a permit, so what? That still makes him part of the less than 1% of Permit holders that commit gun related homicide. Why aren't you more worried about the other 99%?

A) his permit should have been revoked with his violent history, it wasn't..
B) Even so, revoking his permit wouldn't have stopped him from committing this heinous act. If he was willing to KILL do you think he would have even blinked at breaking a carry law??

BRONACH

“FEED THE DEAD FETUS”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#3951 Jun 1, 2012
OregonSUX wrote:
"Yesterday afternoon, around the time that presumed mass-shooter Ian Stawicki was being rushed to Harborview with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, reporters across Seattle were busy compiling the barest outlines of his character.
Today, the City Attorney's office released its limited rap sheet on Stawicki, which details his concealed weapons permits, details the six firearms—three of them 45-caliber and three of them 9 millimeter—he was known to have registered, and confirms his arrest carrying a switchblade in 2009 and another arrest for domestic violence in 2008. "
Another leftist,anti-American pile who actually thinks that lack of a permit would stop someone from carrying a gun if they wanted to carry one.

Gang members don't have permits.
They don't even obtain their guns legally.

Stop the whining!

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3952 Jun 1, 2012
Wade wrote:
<quoted text>
And two more articles you think make your point. The problem with that is: Seattle has some of the most liberal minded laws and strictest gun laws in the country, so you are actually making our point for us.
Compare crime rates in Seattle WA vs. crime rates in Kennesaw GA.
Enough said.
This is making news in Seattle because it is unusual. You racists fail to note that this is a white man shooting up the joint. Why aren't you calling him a thug.

"Today, the City Attorney's office released its limited rap sheet on Stawicki, which details his concealed weapons permits, details the six firearms—three of them 45-caliber and three of them 9 millimeter—he was known to have registered, and confirms his arrest carrying a switchblade in 2009 and another arrest for domestic violence in 2008. "

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3953 Jun 1, 2012
BRONACH wrote:
<quoted text>
Another leftist,anti-American pile who actually thinks that lack of a permit would stop someone from carrying a gun if they wanted to carry one.
Gang members don't have permits.
They don't even obtain their guns legally.
Stop the whining!
You racists and anti-American fascists fail to comprehend the point that there are many on-the-edge nuts with carry permits. Are you one? You sound very angry and off-kilter all the time.

“always”

Since: May 12

Ticklaw

#3954 Jun 1, 2012
Angela Corey has filed a motion to revoke George Zimmerman's bond.

Beyond the controversy about the pay pal money there are are other discrepancies in some of George's bond hearing statements as expressed by his attorney. It has been learned that George may have a second passport.

As an aside it was recently stated by Zimmerman's attorney that George's new defense website has been averaging about $1,000 per day in donations.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3955 Jun 1, 2012
"But the original lead detective in the case believed Zimmerman caused the fight by getting out of his vehicle to confront Martin, who wasn't doing anything criminal, and then could have defused the situation by telling Martin he was just a concerned citizen and tried to talk to him.

He didn't think Zimmerman could legally invoke Florida's "stand your ground" law and should be charged with manslaughter."

AP

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3956 Jun 1, 2012
Zimmerman could also have left the gun at home which meant he would have stayed in the car and let the cops do their job.

Zimmerman could also have stayed at home and had pizza and beer that night.

Zimmerman could also have driven his car around while waiting for the cops to arrive.

Any of these scenarios would have been much better for ZIMMERMAN.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#3957 Jun 1, 2012
OregonSUX wrote:
Any of these scenarios would have been much better for ZIMMERMAN.
And for Trayvon.
Wade

Denham Springs, LA

#3958 Jun 1, 2012
OregonSUX wrote:
<quoted text>This is making news in Seattle because it is unusual. You racists fail to note that this is a white man shooting up the joint. Why aren't you calling him a thug.

"Today, the City Attorney's office released its limited rap sheet on Stawicki, which details his concealed weapons permits, details the six firearms—three of them 45-caliber and three of them 9 millimeter—he was known to have registered, and confirms his arrest carrying a switchblade in 2009 and another arrest for domestic violence in 2008. "
Another perfect example. If he had previous firearms convictions, I assure you he was not a current concealed carry permit holder.
So, again, how are those liberal minded strict gun laws working. It was already illegal for him to be carrying the guns concealed. If he was a convicted Felon, it was illegal for him to own a gun period. Yet he did. That's not fair! He did what he wasn't supposed to do!

Criminals, by definition, break the law Einstein.

BRONACH

“FEED THE DEAD FETUS”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#3959 Jun 1, 2012
OregonSUX wrote:
<quoted text>
You racists and anti-American fascists fail to comprehend the point that there are many on-the-edge nuts with carry permits. Are you one? You sound very angry and off-kilter all the time.
So what.

There are more violent criminals (Gang members) who carry guns and kill people on a regular basis.

FK U!

The constitution does not say a person has to be sane to exercise their NATURAL right to self defense.

Self defense against your beloved, criminal gangs.

Don't like it?

Too FKN bad!
Wade

Denham Springs, LA

#3960 Jun 1, 2012
OregonSUX wrote:
Zimmerman could also have left the gun at home which meant he would have stayed in the car and let the cops do their job.

Zimmerman could also have stayed at home and had pizza and beer that night.

Zimmerman could also have driven his car around while waiting for the cops to arrive.

Any of these scenarios would have been much better for ZIMMERMAN.
He also could have sealed himself in a cave somewhere and had no contact with the outside world. That would keep everyone safe from thugs if they hid from the outside world and let the criminals run the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Black Lives Matter, But So Does The Truth 3 hr DebraE 3
News Vice Lords feel squeeze of arrests (Jul '06) 5 hr 5 Poppin 6 Droppin 373
News Chicago Police union to officers: Don't request... 7 hr bozo 1
News Pam Frampton: America: shot through the heart, ... 10 hr Watchdog 1
News Local officials react to a week of national vio... 10 hr the truth 7
News Together Tupelo set today at Link Centre 11 hr Mississippi 5
News Fitchburg police: Level 3 sex offender charged ... Tue Louie 3
More from around the web