Springfield Police identify man killed in officer-involved shooting

There are 20 comments on the The Tennessean story from Apr 5, 2012, titled Springfield Police identify man killed in officer-involved shooting. In it, The Tennessean reports that:

The man killed in an officer-involved shooting Thursday in Springfield has been identified as Jason Strange, 38, according to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Tennessean.

spgfd

Springfield, TN

#21 Apr 10, 2012
A man lost his life over a bunch of drugs!! The guy that lived next to him who he was attacking is the biggest crack head along with his gf and I really hope they feel like crap but I doubt they do because that dope talks!!! You pill popping, crack smoking, heroine shooting junkies!!!! Im sure you stole some dope from him or whatever and thats why he tried attacking you!! I know exactly what it was over!! Yes the cop shouldve went for the thigh or something!!1 I think its bullcrap a man lost his life while 2 of Springfields biggest junkies get to sit back and relax!!! Why dont you go over there and take them away from their kids??? Huh? Huh? Go on over there and give them a drug test or something, you will see!!! JUNKIES!! You can tell by looking at them, ugh, just so nasty!! And before the man even attacked the victim he put the knife to his own neck first.
Robertson County Resident

Hartsville, TN

#22 Apr 10, 2012
All in all, the whole situation is sad... Two kids are without a dad, and an officer has to deal with knowing he felt he had to defend himself, and others. I personally knew Jason, and knew that he suffered from depression. To act as he did was not an excuse, even without his medicine. We had talked before that he knew he needed to have it. I have not seen him in a few years as I moved, but have recently returned to the county and was shocked and saddened to hear of this turn of events. I, also, have a son that suffers from the same disease. A reason is not the same as an excuse, and not a doubt in my mind the officer did what he felt was best to defend himself and others. Anger and hate will only breed further hate, and will change nothing. Anyone can say what should have been done, but unless you were put in that position, you will never know. My prayers go out to Jason's children, and to the officer who was only doing his job. I also pray for other victims of depression that they will see that they need help, and will try to seek out help from family, friends, church, or medical professionals and know that there is help available, but you have to want it first.
jo jo the monkey boy

Springfield, TN

#23 Apr 10, 2012
I didn't know Mr Strange, but I do know Steve Berry, and I know he's going through a very difficult time right now, as is Mr Strange's family. It's not easy to bury a loved one under the best of circumstances. My heart goes out to not only the family, but to Officer Berry also. But I do believe that after time has passed, the family will come to know forgiveness, and that a tortured person is now at peace.
Yamo Ron

United States

#24 Apr 10, 2012
jo jo the monkey boy wrote:
I didn't know Mr Strange, but I do know Steve Berry, and I know he's going through a very difficult time right now, as is Mr Strange's family. It's not easy to bury a loved one under the best of circumstances. My heart goes out to not only the family, but to Officer Berry also. But I do believe that after time has passed, the family will come to know forgiveness, and that a tortured person is now at peace.
Very well put!!!
Anonymous

High Point, NC

#25 Apr 11, 2012
Yamo Ron wrote:
Springfield cops don't have tazers yet, the new chief is in the process of getting them purchased. I shouldn't have to tell anyone this, its been in the paper. I could say that someone with a knife coming for you is a deadly force situation where the officer is correct in the use of deadly force (gun) to defend himself and citizens. Cops are trained at the academy that a subject can close on you rapidly from a longer distance than imagined and deliver a deadly cut to an artery, or a stab to a vital organ and they can be even more dangerous than a suspect with a gun. That's why a nite stick or baton would not be used, because that would allow a knife wielding suspect to get too close. I also could advise you that cops are never trained to wound in shooting a suspect. Cops, if placed in a deadly force situation, are authorized and trained to shoot center mass at their target (the largest target and easiest to hit area) which is the chest/torso area. Police officers are trained to neutralize the deadly force target by shooting center mass until the suspect stops. Ever try to shoot an area the size of a knee cap on a running suspect, especially when that suspect is running at you with a knife in their hand and murder in their eyes? Cops are not trained to shoot knives and guns from peoples hands, they are trained to shoot the biggest and easiest to hit part of the body that will stop the suspect the fastest. This wasn't a standoff where a sniper could be brought in or less lethal force (such as bean bag rounds) could be brought out. Truth is, there was no time for the officer to do anything but pull his gun, order the charging suspect to drop the knife and then fire when that order was not followed. Furthermore, I could tell you that this officer followed every policy, procedure and every bit of training that he and all other officers receive across this country. In other words, this officer did his job perfectly.
So, what about the suspect? Can we put all the blame for this death on Mr Strange himself? That ones easy and the answer is no! This man, by all accounts had issues in mental health, issues beyond his control. And in this day in time, many of those among us with mental health issues can and do fall through the cracks too often. Many times the money and resources of the state government are not available. We are our brothers keeper, but resources can only go so far and some sufferers of mental illness are less than ideal patients. What good are medications of you, for whatever reason, don't take them? So if this man could not take care of, or look after himself, then why wasn't he in an institution?
So that brings me to what I have wanted to say all along. Where was Mr. Strange's family? If he was sick, mentally ill, or in need in general, then where were his people? He had family, this I know for sire. Where were family members before his last hour of life, when he was running wild and out of control with a knife, assaulting neighbors. Where were family members all the days, weeks and years leading up to his last hour and why wasn't there an intervention? And where were family members when his last hour came? Where were this man's people when he was out of control and holding a knife to a neighbors throat? Where was the family of Mr. Strange when he headed, knife in hand, in the direction of a police officer? I've seen it over and over and asked these same questions a thousand times. After the fact, why does the family of the person the police are FORCED to deal with, come forward and interject themselves when IT IS TOO LATE?
How dare you post the ingnorant comment of where was the family. Do you know the family or were you even there when all this took place? It amazes me the comments people make when in fact they know nothing! What I want to know is where does everyone on here get their information? All I have to say is may God have mercy on your soul!!!
Anonymous

High Point, NC

#26 Apr 11, 2012
If officer berry is having such a hard time and is as compassionate and caring as everyone says he is then how is he mentally capable to got back to work only 4 days after the incident?
Yamo Ron

United States

#27 Apr 11, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>.
How dare you post the ingnorant comment of where was the family. Do you know the family or were you even there when all this took place? It amazes me the comments people make when in fact they know nothing! What I want to know is where does everyone on here get their information? All I have to say is may God have mercy on your soul!!!
Let me shut your ignorant mouth by telling you the following. I was there and I do know the family and the situation in total! My question is legitimate and in response to posts placing blame on a man doing his job correctly. I don't know about you, but I get my information first hand by being there. Were you there and do you know the family? I will take a wild guess from reading your other posts and say no, you don't know anything and therefore you assume others know nothing. You haven't got a horse on this race and you want to put your fat arse in the running just as usual.
Yamo Ron

United States

#28 Apr 11, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
If officer berry is having such a hard time and is as compassionate and caring as everyone says he is then how is he mentally capable to got back to work only 4 days after the incident?

You can condemn me for asking where was that poor man's family during his moment of need, and then turn around and question the compassion of the officer who was forced to shoot him. My oh my, what a hypocrite you are! You, once again, don't know anything and you are just slinging crap to see what will stick. Let me save you the time and tell you that I KNOW THIS OFFICER AND HE IS A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE! I could explain how he felt about this terrible incident and why he needed to get back to work from a psychological point of view, but you aren't worth the time or trouble. This is what I know and live, so go back in your pathetic hole where you take no chances and risk nothing for others. What a miserable excuse for a human being you are. And may God, the world, and whomever, deal with you in a manner that is befitting such a hypocrite as yourself!
Whats up

United States

#29 Apr 11, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
You are so fn stupid. Like u even care about the dude been shot, the family, or that cop either way. U don't know nothin so don't be sayin nothin. That cop saved my baby life and is straight up man.
jake

Hoboken, NJ

#30 Apr 11, 2012
Ymao ron you sound like a self centered jackass!I hope you r not a cop because you would probably be a real ass my prayers for the strange family!!!!!
plain spoken

Peoria, IL

#31 Apr 11, 2012
Idk how anyone here knows Jason Strange nor the officer.... and that's not even why I'm commenting.... I'm here to say this... This situation *IMO was a perfect example of the system failing the public.... in someones opinion on here it was said that *more lives was saved but NOTHING WAS SAID ABOUT HIM BEING MORE OF A THREAT TO HIMSELF THAN ANYONE ELSE THERE!!! THE FACTS HAVE CLEARLY NOT BEEN STATED! I'm not going to sit here and act like I know it all but I do know this~ 2 children lost their daddy and from what I hear that complex Mr Strange lived in had wayyyy more problems than him that HAVE NOT BEEN ADDRESSED??? THE MANAGER HMMMM WHERE WAS SHE PREVIOUS AND DURING THIS AGAIN?? AND Mr Yamo Ron... may I be polite and ask who you are? You seem to have a real interest in this? And last but not least I PRAY FOR ALL WHO ARE INVOLVED....GOD IS A JUST GOD AND JUSTICE IN THE END WILL ALWAYS PREVAIL~ AMEN
Anonymous

Prosperity, SC

#32 Apr 11, 2012
It's funny how tough and smart these Internet tough guys are. If you have any balls Yamo Ron than let us all know who you are and what your position is on this case. Otherwise I think you should sit back and shut up.
Whats up

United States

#33 Apr 11, 2012
jake wrote:
Ymao ron you sound like a self centered jackass!I hope you r not a cop because you would probably be a real ass my prayers for the strange family!!!!!
Hey Jake why don't ya go look that cop up some night an I bet he's kicks that tail for ya. Ya punk a$$ boy
Whats up

United States

#34 Apr 11, 2012
jake wrote:

I stuck up for my friend and that makes me self centered?? How do you figure? That's where this all started, you ignorant jackass! A good cop who did his job being second guessed and attacked. Just because I have something to say and know how to wrire it, don't confuse me for some other kind of animal. And if you don't believe me, let's get together some time real soon and talk it over....
Yamo Ron

United States

#35 Apr 11, 2012
plain spoken wrote:
Idk how anyone here knows Jason Strange nor the officer.... and that's not even why I'm commenting.... I'm here to say this... This situation *IMO was a perfect example of the system failing the public.... in someones opinion on here it was said that *more lives was saved but NOTHING WAS SAID ABOUT HIM BEING MORE OF A THREAT TO HIMSELF THAN ANYONE ELSE THERE!!! THE FACTS HAVE CLEARLY NOT BEEN STATED! I'm not going to sit here and act like I know it all but I do know this~ 2 children lost their daddy and from what I hear that complex Mr Strange lived in had wayyyy more problems than him that HAVE NOT BEEN ADDRESSED??? THE MANAGER HMMMM WHERE WAS SHE PREVIOUS AND DURING THIS AGAIN?? AND Mr Yamo Ron... may I be polite and ask who you are? You seem to have a real interest in this? And last but not least I PRAY FOR ALL WHO ARE INVOLVED....GOD IS A JUST GOD AND JUSTICE IN THE END WILL ALWAYS PREVAIL~ AMEN

I don't see it as polite, or any of your business who I am. I don't see you or anyone else putting their name and personal information on here! Once again, and I thought it was clear, my interest is in showing a counter point to the posts in which my friend, the officer, was attacked.
Dr Bones

United States

#36 Apr 12, 2012
I have an idea for all of you, shut the hell up! The man's dead, his family is heart broken and the cops got to live with what he was forced to do. None of your arguing and crap is gonna help. The point is, if any of you know someone or have a family member with mental illness and / or severe depression, then reach out and be your brothers keeper for once and get them some help. Let them know there is hope and treatment.
lots of love

La Vergne, TN

#37 Apr 12, 2012
You guys are just nuts!!!! This is nothing to fight about!! Officer Berry Did VERY Wrong and Shot a very sick man than needed Help and Not the Kind of Help Officer Berry Gave Him!!!!! I know Jason Strange Very Well and Know that this was Not HIM!!! Officer Berry overreacted!!! With all that said the springfield pd should really clean up that complex! Oh and I am strating to think that one of you is Officer Berry and if so Live with yourself Jerk!!!! There is nothing you can say that is conforting in this so back off and go kill someone else!! You Did Wrong and You Know It!! God Will Repay you for your actions someday!!!!! Police or not killing is a sin
!!!!!!!!!!
plain spoken

United States

#38 Apr 12, 2012
funny how my question was not seen as polite.... anyways the point is *who really needs to be defended? If you were *really there and know the whole story... I believe your theories may be different.... careful about casting stones~and to the ones who have all this BS about brothers keepers... what happened to "love thy neighbor" ..... When your an adult in an adult position and many in this situation were... I don't see many peoples thought process on being *clear.... its all very sad and the only thing I can do is pray.... You can't blame Mr Stranges family as for it has been stated the police were called previously?? Why?.... The apt complex is for the disabled? And my question is.... If he was a threat to anyone else... They weren't injured? Hmmmm kinda proposes a huge question....WHAT WAS REALLY GOING ON AND WAS THE ACTION TAKEN NECESSARY???
jake

United States

#39 Apr 12, 2012
Freedom. Of speech I am not lookingg to fight I am a grown man voicing my opinion! You may need to grow up!
happy

Irmo, SC

#40 Apr 12, 2012
If you were put in the officers position would you not react the same way? Regardless if it was that guy was depressed or not, he was threatened. Just as if someone broke into your house and threatened you. Are you seriously going to say that if a mentally disturbed man broke into your house with a knife pulled on you, are you just going to shake his hand and let him be? No, your going to defend yourself the best way you can. Granted this is a very sad situation, and I'm sorry for his families loss. But he did what he had to do, it was just unfortunate of the outcome.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Video footage sought in Hillary trial 1 hr wth 129
News Tiffany Long Part IV: Dorthia Bynum speaks (Oct '08) 4 hr Jay 8
News Man arrested in Downtown El Paso bar shooting 5 hr huey goins 1
News Urgently Needed: A Public Jobs Program 7 hr okimar 8
News Family marks 100 days since LaFollette woman di... 10 hr Tricia 18
News Breakup may have led to Bridgeport homicide 11 hr American Gentlema... 1
News Details of dispute leading to Torrance murder-s... (Aug '10) 14 hr Julio the Artist 83
More from around the web