Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial

Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial

There are 46 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Nov 18, 2008, titled Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

A Santa Fe police detective manipulated, coerced and threatened eyewitnesses to the shooting death of a local man in June 2007 so they would change their stories to fit his theory of what happened, two defense ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
AJS

Rio Rancho, NM

#1 Nov 19, 2008
Boy these two defense attorneys must know that their clients are totally guilty. Talk about Criminal Defense 101, if you don't have any sort of defense for your client attack the police. Geeezzz, what's up with that?
HAL

Rio Rancho, NM

#2 Nov 19, 2008
Gary Mitchell has made a pretty good living defending clients he knows are guilty by attacking the police. Why should anything change in this case?
arnulfo

Lubbock, TX

#3 Nov 19, 2008
if you know the santa fe police . i would say that the detectives did what Gary Mitchell has said. i am surprice that after all that has happen in that department from drug dealing to cover-ups on other cases. i am glad i dont live in that city. clean it up.
JB WIlliams

Powhatan Point, OH

#4 Nov 19, 2008
um lots of times the police eff up and some innocent person is the one that pays. Google police misconduct and see what you get.
mrj

United States

#5 Nov 19, 2008
right I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. These cops aren't saints either.
mario santa fe

Santa Fe, NM

#6 Nov 19, 2008
eye for an eye. fry all of them, get rid of the leaches that drain our society. guilty i have it, people like this need to be weeded out of our system via injection or electric chair. unless these wannabe gangbangers know the cure for cancer, they should never have the chance to walk free again!
mario santa fe

Santa Fe, NM

#7 Nov 19, 2008
jb, mrj, where are you from? not santa fe cause if you are then you have to have seen these goons in the news before for being less then stand up kinda guys. these guys belong in the dirt or behin bars. im not sticking up for the fuzz in any way either, ive had mu share of run ins with them and more often then not, they do a lil something fishey during the s.o.p.
Dave

United States

#8 Nov 19, 2008
What a Crock!!! We all know these two are GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY!!!
shar0813

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Nov 19, 2008
This is a bunch of bull s**t!!!! These guys are so guilty!!!!! Has anyone ever seen Jacobs record! This pisses me off sooooo much, oh yeah, I forgot, this is the Santa Fe justice system at work! And Max's family has to suffer with the loss of him!!!!!!!!!!
La Pura Verdad

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Nov 19, 2008
Let them all go there is another party this weekend at the attorneys house.
JB WIlliams

Powhatan Point, OH

#11 Nov 19, 2008
mario santa fe wrote:
jb, mrj, where are you from? not santa fe cause if you are then you have to have seen these goons in the news before for being less then stand up kinda guys. these guys belong in the dirt or behin bars. im not sticking up for the fuzz in any way either, ive had mu share of run ins with them and more often then not, they do a lil something fishey during the s.o.p.
yeah I know but those are exactly the kind of losers that cops like to nail with bad / false evidence under the theory of yeah we know you did not do this one but we know you have dome all sorts of bad acts we have no evidence on so we will get you regardless. That sort of police work is unlawful and makes then no better than the scumbags they are framing. My brother defeded a few guys who were framed by one of SF's former convicted felon cops. These guys black mark on all good law enforcement officers out there.
Damon

Los Alamos, NM

#12 Nov 19, 2008
Why are people constantly trying to paint all police officers in a bad light? These criminals have records that show they continually break the law and make bad choices. But police officers with clean records are persecuted by many in the public that believe the crock of crap that a defense attorney cooks up!

If a police officer defends him/herself, or the public by shooting a criminal, the outcry of grief for the family of the dead criminal is huge and demands for the cop to stand trial are numerous. But, if a criminal kills another person, there is all of a sudden no grieving family, just a dirty cop conducting the investigation...
mrj

United States

#13 Nov 19, 2008
I'm not talking about this case since I knew max and will never defend a murderer but don't take the cops word for anything they twist and twist until it's in their favor or until they found a story that would make perfect sense no matter what the witnesses say. Regardless, cops are not saints by any means and should always think twice. They've even been investigated by the FBI.
mrj

United States

#14 Nov 19, 2008
what's the difference of an officer killing another? Are they God? Is it justified? Because they're a criminal it's ok? Or a supposed criminal? A life is a life. They're a killer no matter if a psycho kills or a cop. It's wrong! And if there is sympathy for the family it's because they were something to someone. It was a life that was taken regardless.

Since: Nov 08

Santa Fe

#15 Nov 19, 2008
Its not about the cops though, its about somone being killed and justice! These guys deserve to be put away for life or suffer the death penality. Here is another story where someone is trying to be the good guy and stop something from happening and ends up paying for it! I am so angry with this whole situation! And I am saying this because I knew Max and I know the losers that did it!
MSS

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Nov 19, 2008
Jacob Chavez has over 16 cases in Santa Fe. That is only what shows up in the NM court website. Some of you may remember a few years ago, Jacob was on the run after an eye witness identified him as the shooter in the murder of Diego Miera. He was never actually charged but EVERYONE who knows Jacob knows that he is a murderer. His own family and friends are afraid of him! Santa Fe will be a much safer place when he is convicted and hopefully sentenced to death! RIP Max Valdez! RIP Diego Miera!
Damon

Los Alamos, NM

#17 Nov 19, 2008
mrj - The difference is in what I said.

"If a police officer defends him/herself, or the public..."

I agree with you that when a life is taken it is a tragedy. However, sometimes the only way to stop the action is to take a life. A life is a life, but in my opinion, a life that is spent hurting other people is not worth the same as a life spent helping others.
Phil Emanuelli

Denver, CO

#19 Nov 19, 2008
Did I read the article correctly that Gutierrez shot Valdez IN HIS SLEEP? How can that happen?
meme505

Mansfield Center, CT

#20 Nov 19, 2008
MSS wrote:
Jacob Chavez has over 16 cases in Santa Fe. That is only what shows up in the NM court website. Some of you may remember a few years ago, Jacob was on the run after an eye witness identified him as the shooter in the murder of Diego Miera. He was never actually charged but EVERYONE who knows Jacob knows that he is a murderer. His own family and friends are afraid of him! Santa Fe will be a much safer place when he is convicted and hopefully sentenced to death! RIP Max Valdez! RIP Diego Miera!
I know Jacob very good. We used to hang out back in the day and he is no saint what so ever!!! His poor parents have been through so much between him and his brother Mike. He is a murderer and he has tried to kill before and got away with it!!! If you know the Chavez brothers then you know what kind of stuff they have done!! He deserves to be put away for life!!

Since: Oct 08

Questa, NM

#21 Nov 19, 2008
arnulfo wrote:
if you know the santa fe police . i would say that the detectives did what Gary Mitchell has said. i am surprice that after all that has happen in that department from drug dealing to cover-ups on other cases. i am glad i dont live in that city. clean it up.
You have a very few bad officers in any department..but by var trhey are fine upstanding officers out there doing a job that you are too much a coward to even consider....even in your little part of the world tx there a a lot of bad cops and a majorty of good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scesny convicted of murder and rape (Mar '12) 15 hr Suomi 82
News Warrant: Man charged with murder agreed to meet... Sun Lilac St Cyr 1
News Recent SF Murder Seems Certain To Figure Into S... Sun Wildchild 4
News St. Louis braces for more protests after police... Sep 16 Team Kelly 1
News Third Bandido arrested in motorcycle bar shooting (Dec '14) Sep 16 Brian 99
News Attorney: Mississippi man shot in head by police Sep 16 treason watch 2
News Shumpert legal fights continues to shift, narrow Sep 16 Shift and narrow 29
More from around the web