Tensions high after police shooting

Tensions high after police shooting

There are 7 comments on the NewsOn6 Tulsa story from Oct 26, 2008, titled Tensions high after police shooting. In it, NewsOn6 Tulsa reports that:

Tensions are running high in Lawton after a police officer was cleared of wrongdoing in the fatal shooting of a man last month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOn6 Tulsa.

Glassboro, NJ

#1 Oct 26, 2008
ok i have read some comments about this story and i dont lie some of them .. 1 that i read about the cops being trigger happy is completely true. but the others stating that there is a gang problem and that the cops basically need to take the gang memebers out one by one i have problems wih ... marcell johnson was my uncle he wasnt a damn gang banger and that cop was wrong for what he did the police are saying that my uncle tried to run the officer over with his car..- wrong - the cops said that y uncle had a gun and thats why they shot him .... he didnt have a gun!! so i would like to now why in so many words the people are commenting basically saying it was deserved and the cop did nothing wrong and why my uncles death is labeled as just another gang member off the streets of lawton.... and if there is such a gang problem and none of u can stand the "gang" activity... why do u insist on living there youre puttng yourself in that situation.. to the commenter that stated the cops are trigger happy and are basically thugs with badges i completely agree with u .. i may not live in oklahome anymore but for living there before and only being 20 years old of have seen alot of crooked cop activity just cuz they have the badge doesnt mean they do their job right they are taing the power a little bit too far
Still in Lawton

El Reno, OK

#2 Oct 30, 2008
I for one was here before all the damn gang activities started, why should I have to leave for someone else thinking they have the right to break the law, and cry about it when they get caught, or what happened here.
Still in Lawton

Lawton, OK

#3 Oct 30, 2008
If you look at what happened here, it's not a cop being trigger happy. The guy wouldn't stop, tried to back into the officers car, wouldn't listen to verbal commands from the officer, and got out of the car and tried to approach the officer while being ordered to remain in the car. The officer saw what he believed was a weapon, and fired after all verbal commands were ignored. Even the First Responders on scene thought the shiny object, that did turn out to be a cell phone, was a weapon. The second item they found was cocain.

Lawton ignored the beginning of the gang problem in the early 80's. When all the drive by's started, and the amount of drugs confiscated sky rocketed, Lawton finally had to admit they had a problem. I do feel the need for a more aggressive approach to identifying gang members,and keeping tabs on their whereabouts.

The first thing the family said about this young man was that he was "Not gang related", then the street he was shot on was tagged with gang graffiti from the gang he was associated with. The local police dept. even released his "Street name" in the local paper.

Parents of some of these kids are part of the problem. They ignore, or refuse to believe their kid would be involved with a gang. The other problem is kids these days are not held accountable for their actions growing up. With not being held accountable, they have no respect for any boundaries set on them (this includes laws!)

I cold go on forever about this, but it's pointless.

Tulsa, OK

#4 May 14, 2012
r.i.p uncle love u soo much there is not a day that goes by that i dont think about u its been 4 1/2 years nw and my heart still aches to knw that u are gone bt jus remember is not a good bye its a c u later u r missed and loved by many

United States

#5 May 14, 2012
Lawtonatheart, I'm sorry for ur loss. I agree with you !!
Lovely Laisha

Oklahoma City, OK

#6 Sep 3, 2013
Awww I miss him soooo much he was my best friend this month is a really hard month for me... That night was the most devastating night of my life and to make it even worse I had to tell his best friend he gone... Boat was a good man helped when people needed it and not just who he knew but also who he didn't know yal gone learn that not everybody that is from a gang actually gang bangs... kisses to the sky I miss u baby and will see u again one day!!!

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#7 Sep 6, 2013
Trigger happy..Hunting season starts soon..GO FIGURE!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Violent Crime Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Frustrated Obama on Oregon shooting: 'We've bec... 13 min Turning Japanese 163
News Murders keep adding up for deadliest September ... 3 hr Bullwinkle 2
News Colbert on UCC shooting: 'I honestly don't know... 20 hr Anorexic Elise 1
News Three fatal stabbing victims in Santa Barbara r... (May '14) Sat davy 40
News Akron man indicted in fatal shooting of man who... Sat Walkin Boss 1
News Police: Laurel man lied about murder case (Dec '14) Fri something2thinkabout 3
News Obama says response to shootings has become too... Fri Davy 1
More from around the web