Back in the Day: When Erie was a Titan

Back in the Day: When Erie was a Titan

There are 18 comments on the Erie Blogs story from Dec 15, 2011, titled Back in the Day: When Erie was a Titan. In it, Erie Blogs reports that:

Okay, granted, the sunset thing turned out to be an urban legend. Everybody swore Erie had the best sunsets in the nation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Erie Blogs.

jane goodall

Norwalk, OH

#1 Dec 16, 2011
everybody with a brain in erie either died or moved away. end of story
Stu Pedaso

Ravenna, OH

#2 Dec 16, 2011
Erie's decline exactly parallels the erosion of our Protestant entrepreneurial class.
yoo hoo

Fairfield, OH

#3 Dec 16, 2011
Stu Pedaso wrote:
Erie's decline exactly parallels the erosion of our Protestant entrepreneurial class.
...and the Protestant work ethic.
Bobby Brady

Cleveland, OH

#4 Dec 16, 2011
Stu Pedaso wrote:
Erie's decline exactly parallels the erosion of our Protestant entrepreneurial class.
What? I thought you hated Protestants as well as Catholics,Jews, and the Amish? What gives?
Stu Pedaso

Ravenna, OH

#5 Dec 17, 2011
Ever hear of The Protestant Ethic?

Early 20th Century immigrants in Erie were predominantly Catholics whose horizon featured a skyline of beer, kielbasa, baby-buggies and bought politicians.

We've reaped what they sowed. The Protestant and the Jewish communities of entrepreneurs have left Erie to the folks hoping someone will show up to hire punch-press operators by the thousands.
Bobby Brady wrote:
<quoted text>What? I thought you hated Protestants as well as Catholics,Jews, and the Amish? What gives?
jane goodall

Norwalk, OH

#6 Dec 17, 2011
Stu Pedaso wrote:
Ever hear of The Protestant Ethic?
Early 20th Century immigrants in Erie were predominantly Catholics whose horizon featured a skyline of beer, kielbasa, baby-buggies and bought politicians.
We've reaped what they sowed. The Protestant and the Jewish communities of entrepreneurs have left Erie to the folks hoping someone will show up to hire punch-press operators by the thousands.
<quoted text>
never new erie was a textile center then what did they sow ?
Stu Pedaso

Ravenna, OH

#7 Dec 17, 2011
Silk, but that, of course, is spun.
jane goodall wrote:
<quoted text>never new erie was a textile center then what did they sow ?
Observer1

Erie, PA

#8 Dec 17, 2011
Stu Pedaso wrote:
Ever hear of The Protestant Ethic?
Early 20th Century immigrants in Erie were predominantly Catholics whose horizon featured a skyline of beer, kielbasa, baby-buggies and bought politicians.
We've reaped what they sowed. The Protestant and the Jewish communities of entrepreneurs have left Erie to the folks hoping someone will show up to hire punch-press operators by the thousands.
<quoted text>
Isn't that mainly the Calvinist version of Protestantism, which says God rewards The Elect with prosperity in their labors? Few hold that view any more. I think you'll find at least as many Protestants, Calvinist or not, on the welfare rolls as they are represented in the population vs. Catholics, Jews and others. Probably even higher, if you think of the locations of various denominations of churches in depressed areas.
yoo hoo

Union City, PA

#10 Dec 17, 2011
As I See It wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you're wrong ! Erie is " The greatest place on earth to raise a family. " Don't you remember what has been drummed into your head and what you're mindlessly suppose to recite when asked about Erie ? Surely you will soon see a huge influx of well educated and productive people moving into this area all excited to call Erie, the greatest place to raise a family, their dream come true.
You forgot a word: "Erie, the greatest place on earth to raise a CYNICAL family".
yoo hoo

Union City, PA

#11 Dec 17, 2011
Observer1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that mainly the Calvinist version of Protestantism, which says God rewards The Elect with prosperity in their labors? Few hold that view any more. I think you'll find at least as many Protestants, Calvinist or not, on the welfare rolls as they are represented in the population vs. Catholics, Jews and others. Probably even higher, if you think of the locations of various denominations of churches in depressed areas.
You may know better than I because I try work from memory and am often mistaken--I don't want to be "Google smart"--but my recollection of some version of the Protestant work ethic was something like this: What God has made you, given you--talents, whatever--was a gift FROM God. What you become with them is a gift TO God.

That sense of gratitude in large measure is what built this country and made it great IMO. Not what it can do for me but what I can do for it.
harley

Crane Hill, AL

#12 Dec 17, 2011
yoo hoo wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot a word: "Erie, the greatest place on earth to raise a CYNICAL family".
Did you say cynical or did you mean chimp family?
yoo hoo

Union City, PA

#14 Dec 17, 2011
As I See It wrote:
<quoted text>
You must not have been born or educated in Erie since you were able to comprehend and spell correctly the word cynical.
Not only can I spell cynicism, I recognize it when I see it ;)
yoo hoo

Union City, PA

#15 Dec 17, 2011
harley wrote:
<quoted text>Did you say cynical or did you mean chimp family?
All they are is further along the cynicism scale than you or As I See It. You're like peas in a pod actually.

As I've said before, we all need our delusions. Mine unlike yours, "chimps" or As I See It's are positive instead of negative.

You would benefit by watching "Man of La Mancha" IMO. Unless of course it bounces off your head of lead.
yoo hoo

Union City, PA

#16 Dec 17, 2011
yoo hoo

Union City, PA

#17 Dec 17, 2011
This is you, Stu, the "chimps", As I See It, cherio and the rest of the cynical (all brothers in the faith BTW):
&fe ature=related
yoo hoo

Union City, PA

#18 Dec 17, 2011
In context of the movie a telling point comes from 9:05 to 9:15ish. If you don't get it...you don't get it.

Al Bundy

Norwalk, OH

#19 Dec 17, 2011
are erie titans like erie bigguns ?
yoo hoo

Union City, PA

#21 Dec 17, 2011
cheirio wrote:
<quoted text>Since you brought my name up...and the word cynical...may I say, you want to see a phoney cynical chimpo....look in the mirror. I am not a cynic....I am a realist. You on the other hand, don't know a thing, except what your fearless leader tells you to think, say or do. You, in other words, are a brain washed robot.
Real as you've seen life? Agreed. Real as I have? Don't even.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Urban Legend Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News On the Myth of the Chemical Imbalance Oct '17 Humanspirit 4
News What's your number? (Jul '12) Jul '15 Aiesha_2001 5
News Conspiracy Theory With Jesse Ventura Returns Fo... (Dec '12) Jul '15 Aiesha_2001 3
News Flashback Friday: Transfer of peanut allergy fr... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Gerald Vonberger 1
News 10Best: Conspiracies and legends around the USA (Oct '14) Oct '14 Nice Try but 4
News Miami Icons: El Faraon, Where Fidel Castro Once... (Aug '14) Aug '14 WE JUST DONT CARE 17
News Suicide Rates Rise During Christmas Season - Tr... (Dec '08) Jan '14 Esther 3
More from around the web