Aliens and evolution

Aliens and evolution

There are 6310 comments on the Washington Times story from Jun 19, 2012, titled Aliens and evolution. In it, Washington Times reports that:

DENTON, Texas, June 19, 2012 - Aliens are ingrained in our cultural psyche. They abound in books, movies, radio, and a thousand theories about the extra-terrestrial, little green men, UFO sightings, abductions, Area 51, and Roswell.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Washington Times.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#5927 Mar 24, 2013
There's no evidence of life anywhere but on Earth. Belief in alien life is based on faith, not evidence.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5928 Mar 24, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
There's no evidence of life anywhere but on Earth. Belief in alien life is based on faith, not evidence.
So you are asserting that your own god is a wasteful being.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#5929 Mar 24, 2013
No, I'm asserting belief in extraterrestrial life is based on faith. I cite KittenKoder's attribution of God's wastefulness if life only exists on Earth, she believes in aliens because of faith, not science.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#5930 Mar 24, 2013
There's no way at present to know whether life exists anywhere else in the universe. I think it is more likely that it does than not, but that's just an intuition about the probabilities involved. If it does, though, attributing its origins to our planet is as narcissistic as it is improbable.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#5931 Mar 24, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
No, I'm asserting belief in extraterrestrial life is based on faith. I cite KittenKoder's attribution of God's wastefulness if life only exists on Earth, she believes in aliens because of faith, not science.
So you are again making assertions for people, and projecting as well.

The vast size of space, the massive number of stars, and the even more massive number of planets ... all for just one tiny planet. That's like setting a single grain of sand in an ocean and calling it a beach.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#5932 Mar 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are again making assertions for people, and projecting as well.
The vast size of space, the massive number of stars, and the even more massive number of planets ... all for just one tiny planet. That's like setting a single grain of sand in an ocean and calling it a beach.
Well you know how it is, if you won't expound and expand, then he will just have to expound and expand for you, sort of like Siro is doing for me. They need us to fulfill their fantasy of who the atheist really is.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#5933 Mar 24, 2013
Life's a beach?

Not really, we have no evidence of life anywhere but on Earth. Belief without evidence, from assumptions about "massive number[s]", is faith based, not empirical science.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#5934 Mar 24, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Life's a beach?
Not really, we have no evidence of life anywhere but on Earth. Belief without evidence, from assumptions about "massive number[s]", is faith based, not empirical science.
So you believe that one grain of sand in an ocean makes a beach.

“Input”

Since: Dec 10

Input

#5935 Mar 24, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Life's a beach?
You know there to be a gazillion planets out there.
Do you want them to all be barren and lifeless ?
Just so your creation story can be true.
You are still confused it is not faith at all, perhaps some of it is wishful thinking, and the fact we do not want to be all there is. But the majority of scientists who think life is possible elsewhere are not exorcising faith when using statistical odds.
I think since you are the eternal pessimist and have no imagination , you think the optimist is using faith because we see things in a different light.

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#5936 Mar 24, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Life's a beach?
Actually, "evidence of life" would be anything we can detect short of life itself.

We've found amino acids in comets.
We've found planets and moons with methane in the atmosphere.
We've found meteors on Earth with cell like fossils.

ALL of those are "evidence of life". Not conclusive evidence, but evidence.

So, given the fact that we know life DOES exist within the Universe. AND the fact that we've found evidence of both the building blocks of life AND the byproducts of life in places OTHER THAN EARTH, it's perfectly reasonable to conclude:

"It is likely that life exists elsewhere in the Universe"

That requires no more faith than this claim:

"It is likely that there is a large species of fish as of yet unidentified in our oceans."

“There are other issues.”

Location hidden

#5937 Mar 24, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Anything to help a new topix get true command of their postings.

I am so unlike you, I wonder if it is the lack of a monstrous jealous back-biting sniveling god concept, who would make me feel all better about myself?

Your type of inhuman beauty I can live without.
No, your just old.

“There are other issues.”

Location hidden

#5938 Mar 24, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Anything to help a new topix get true command of their postings.

I am so unlike you, I wonder if it is the lack of a monstrous jealous back-biting sniveling god concept, who would make me feel all better about myself?

Your type of inhuman beauty I can live without.
Your is you're

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#5939 Mar 24, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You know there to be a gazillion planets out there.
Do you want them to all be barren and lifeless ?
Just so your creation story can be true.
You are still confused it is not faith at all, perhaps some of it is wishful thinking, and the fact we do not want to be all there is. But the majority of scientists who think life is possible elsewhere are not exorcising faith when using statistical odds.
I think since you are the eternal pessimist and have no imagination , you think the optimist is using faith because we see things in a different light.
His (Brian's) sentiment is not a matter of "want", but one of skepticism just like yours is against theism. Your choosing to "hope" there is life somewhere else is a form of faith in the classical sense. Look up the definition of faith.

As long as there is only one "known" instance of life (based on abiogenesis) there ARE NO statistical odds. You cannot determine odds from a single event. 1 is not plural.

Location hidden

#5940 Mar 24, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, "evidence of life" would be anything we can detect short of life itself.
We've found amino acids in comets.
We've found planets and moons with methane in the atmosphere.
We've found meteors on Earth with cell like fossils.
ALL of those are "evidence of life". Not conclusive evidence, but evidence.
So, given the fact that we know life DOES exist within the Universe. AND the fact that we've found evidence of both the building blocks of life AND the byproducts of life in places OTHER THAN EARTH, it's perfectly reasonable to conclude:
"It is likely that life exists elsewhere in the Universe"
That requires no more faith than this claim:
"It is likely that there is a large species of fish as of yet unidentified in our oceans."
They are NOT evidence of life. You may as well claim that finding sugar in my oven is proof that a cake was baked there.

Your comparing "life" that is only speculated on elsewhere(another galaxy) and life that has already proven to have happened here (fish) is lame obfuscation. Post hoc, ergo propter hoc? lol

I expected more from you. I don't know why. Try again.

"Reasonable"? You're almost amusing.

“Input”

Input

#5941 Mar 24, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>They are NOT evidence of life. You may as well claim that finding sugar in my oven is proof that a cake was baked there.
Your comparing "life" that is only speculated on elsewhere(another galaxy) and life that has already proven to have happened here (fish) is lame obfuscation. Post hoc, ergo propter hoc? lol
It is evidence that life has the raw materials to assemble itself.
Which goes a long way toward the idea it did. Because it is a precursor.
But I agree it is not evidence of life, which would be something like excrement or footprints, fossils etc.

“Input”

Input

#5942 Mar 24, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>His (Brian's) sentiment is not a matter of "want", but one of skepticism just like yours is against theism. Your choosing to "hope" there is life somewhere else is a form of faith in the classical sense. Look up the definition of faith.
As long as there is only one "known" instance of life (based on abiogenesis) there ARE NO statistical odds. You cannot determine odds from a single event. 1 is not plural.

No there is no faith involved , rather an anticipation to find a specific result. The hope is only to not find we are indeed alone.
This cannot be compared to faith in anyway. That you do not want to die is not faith that you will not die. Hoping there is life elsewhere is not faith there is life elsewhere.

Valley Village, CA

#5943 Mar 24, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>They are NOT evidence of life. You may as well claim that finding sugar in my oven is proof that a cake was baked there.
Finding sugar in your oven would prove to us that ovens exist, that baking exists. Since we know from the study of our own planet that cakes exist, then this would be evidence that elsewhere in the "neighborhood" there may be other ovens in which cakes have been baked.

If we ONLY ever found evidence of ANY component of food ONLY in our kitchen and NEVER found ANY flour or sugar or water ANYWHERE else, then that would be a problem.
Fact: Life exists in the Universe.

Speculation: Life exists in more than one place in the Universe.

Evidence: The components requires to make life are abundant. The byproducts of life have been detected elsewhere. The apparent remains of life have been detected in rocks which have come other planets.

Conclusion: It is likely that life exists in more than one place in the Universe.

That's not an unreasonable conclusion.

Valley Village, CA

#5944 Mar 24, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>His (Brian's) sentiment is not a matter of "want", but one of skepticism just like yours is against theism. Your choosing to "hope" there is life somewhere else is a form of faith in the classical sense. Look up the definition of faith.
The problem here is that you don't understand that faith is believe where evidence CAN NOT be obtained. EVER.

People have faith in "God" because there NEVER will be evidence of "God". If there could be evidence of "God", then there would be no faith.

There CAN, however, be evidence of life elsewhere in the Universe. The discovery of CONCLUSIVE evidence would not utterly destroy the entire concept of science.

However, the discovery of CONCLUSIVE evidence in a "God" would absolutely DESTROY the entire concept of religion.

Location hidden

#5945 Mar 24, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem here is that you don't understand that faith is believe where evidence CAN NOT be obtained. EVER.
People have faith in "God" because there NEVER will be evidence of "God". If there could be evidence of "God", then there would be no faith.
There CAN, however, be evidence of life elsewhere in the Universe. The discovery of CONCLUSIVE evidence would not utterly destroy the entire concept of science.
However, the discovery of CONCLUSIVE evidence in a "God" would absolutely DESTROY the entire concept of religion.
Faith; Belief without need of certain proof.

Your friend is practicing "faith" in a belief, a speculation. That sounds very similar to faith in something else currently having the consistency of sub-quantum limn, hmmm?

Location hidden

#5946 Mar 24, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know for a fact that humans will find evidence of life existing elsewhere before they become extinct themselves. And for that matter, why give a fk if it gets found outside our galaxy; we could never physically come into contact with something that far away. Just "knowing" of "its" existence does neither group any good. There is no point to finding life so far away, we can't even stay at the space station very long without being damaged from high-energy radiation.

As for faith in a god, I can't speak for anyone else on that matter and I find it ridiculous that you try to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

UFO and Alien Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Hampshire Town Celebrates Notable '65 UFO S... 4 hr Parden Pard 1
News Bizarre alien corpse discovered in Russia has e... 22 hr greymouser 2
News Apollo Astronaut Edgar Mitchell: Aliens Stopped... Aug 28 SpaceBlues 4
News UFO hangs out with the International Space Station Aug 28 SpaceBlues 1
News New in Mars rumors: 'Star Wars' star destroyer ... Aug 27 Jaysus Sharia 1
: Implants by 2017 for everyone... NOT UFOstuff! Aug 22 BEWARE 1
News UFO sighting in Sussex 'excites' expert Aug 19 andet1987 5
More from around the web