The county where no one's gay

Mar 25, 2013 Full story: www.cnn.com 36

Franklin County, Mississippi (CNN) -- Statistically speaking, Franklin County should be straighter than John Wayne eating Chick-fil-A. The middle-of-nowhere rectangle in southwest Mississippi -- known for its pine forests, hog hunting and an infamous hate crime -- is home to exactly zero same-sex couples, according to an analysis of census data.

In other words: It's a place where gays don't exist.

At least not on paper.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Mar 25, 2013
Interesting article.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#2 Mar 25, 2013
LOL! Good for CNN ;o))
.
The closet has a glass door with no shades

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#3 Mar 25, 2013
Of course gay people are everywhere. You'd most likely have to have a population less than 100 not to encounter any.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#4 Mar 25, 2013
All of this sounds very familiar. That's what life seemed like in all small towns in America--if not everywhere outside of designated neighborhoods in large cities--a few decades ago.

Small towns in New Hampshire are now much more socially liberal, and almost everyone is polite if they're not completely accepting. But you can always tell when someone feels like their right to call out the faggots has been infringed.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#5 Mar 25, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
Of course gay people are everywhere. You'd most likely have to have a population less than 100 not to encounter any.
If you had a population of 100, then you might have one gay man and one lesbian. Perhaps they'd find each other and support one another. Otherwise, there would be no opportunity for those gay people to explore their feelings with anyone else.

Then again, the gay man might be 85, and the lesbian might be 13. When you add the age distribution, the chance of two gay people finding each other and forming a community drops markedly. You need at least 1000 to have a community that recognizes itself, much less being recognized by others. And if you want any chance of finding dates and eventually a mate, you need a pool of at least 25,0000.
SLIF

Georgetown, Canada

#6 Mar 25, 2013
Whatever.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#7 Mar 25, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
All of this sounds very familiar. That's what life seemed like in all small towns in America--if not everywhere outside of designated neighborhoods in large cities--a few decades ago.
Small towns in New Hampshire are now much more socially liberal, and almost everyone is polite if they're not completely accepting. But you can always tell when someone feels like their right to call out the faggots has been infringed.
The "Village Green" should be replaced with the village gay bar !

:)

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#8 Mar 25, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
All of this sounds very familiar. That's what life seemed like in all small towns in America--if not everywhere outside of designated neighborhoods in large cities--a few decades ago.
Small towns in New Hampshire are now much more socially liberal, and almost everyone is polite if they're not completely accepting. But you can always tell when someone feels like their right to call out the faggots has been infringed.
I read a fascinating book about gay life in Los Angeles in the past. It was SO illegal then that it was hard to believe.

In Long Beach, which is pretty much the gay ghetto of LA now, in the 30's and 40's gays were arrested so often and with such vigor that local hardware stores stopped selling rat poison because so many men's lives were ruined by their impossible to ignore arrest records. They even published their names and addresses and job sites in the local paper to further ruin their lives.

You could have been arrested for merely SPEAKING to a cop in those days. I'm glad it is NOT that onerous in those small towns today.

I can't tolerate Ellen's show myself, too much pablum, but if she IS raising awareness, God bless her!

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#9 Mar 25, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had a population of 100, then you might have one gay man and one lesbian. Perhaps they'd find each other and support one another. Otherwise, there would be no opportunity for those gay people to explore their feelings with anyone else.
Then again, the gay man might be 85, and the lesbian might be 13. When you add the age distribution, the chance of two gay people finding each other and forming a community drops markedly. You need at least 1000 to have a community that recognizes itself, much less being recognized by others. And if you want any chance of finding dates and eventually a mate, you need a pool of at least 25,0000.
Oh, I agree, I was just trying to say that statistically, in a population of 100 or more, somone is likely to be gay whether out or not.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#10 Mar 25, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
The "Village Green" should be replaced with the village gay bar !
:)
Better, yet, the tavern on the village green where the one gay couple in town are treated as part of a group of friends along with the straight population.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#11 Mar 25, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
Better, yet, the tavern on the village green where the one gay couple in town are treated as part of a group of friends along with the straight population.
I agree !

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#12 Mar 25, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
The "Village Green" should be replaced with the village gay bar !
:)
I am afraid that the gay bar has already gone the way of the village green...

“and how does this effect you?”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#13 Mar 25, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
Of course gay people are everywhere. You'd most likely have to have a population less than 100 not to encounter any.
I can't even say that would be true. The community I live in is TINY! I know of 6 couples without even thinking hard about it.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#14 Mar 26, 2013
It was a very interesting documentary.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#15 Mar 26, 2013
Kimberling wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't even say that would be true. The community I live in is TINY! I know of 6 couples without even thinking hard about it.
It depends somewhat on chance, like anything else that is a statistic.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#16 Mar 26, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I am afraid that the gay bar has already gone the way of the village green...
Gay Bars are Vanishing?????? They were a big part of my life for a while, but I haven't been in one in years, perhaps 20. Even with the acceptance we are beginning to get, it is hard for me to believe.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#17 Mar 26, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Gay Bars are Vanishing?????? They were a big part of my life for a while, but I haven't been in one in years, perhaps 20. Even with the acceptance we are beginning to get, it is hard for me to believe.
I agree. For years my life and my fiancee's social life revolved around the bars, and I too have not been to one in over 20 years.

But I find it hard to believe that they are all disappearing.

Isn't Damron's still around ?

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#18 Mar 26, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Gay Bars are Vanishing?????? They were a big part of my life for a while, but I haven't been in one in years, perhaps 20. Even with the acceptance we are beginning to get, it is hard for me to believe.
I used to enjoy the night out at a bar, when I was 24 or so. Now it is beyond tedious. I feel like the chaperone at the high school prom or something.

Plus, in MY day..oh, does that make me sound old or what, in my day cocktails were like 75 cents, call drinks a dollar ten. Now the cheapest go for like seven eight dollars, sometimes more. that gets pricey REAL fast. And, even drinking has become dull and old hat. Nothing 'better' than watching a group from out of town pound down shooters and scream in triumph at how much FUN they are having.

There is a video bar in this town that airs show tune clips and that is a popular night, the only one I can tolerate. Luckily the demographic here is a bit more, uh, MATURE, and for once I don't feel like grandpa seated at the children's table.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#19 Mar 26, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Gay Bars are Vanishing?????? They were a big part of my life for a while, but I haven't been in one in years, perhaps 20. Even with the acceptance we are beginning to get, it is hard for me to believe.
The bar-age crowd no longer seeks segregated dance floors. Gays and straights are perfectly comfortable dancing and drinking together. The young jocks feel no need to slug somebody who picked up the wrong signals.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#20 Mar 26, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>I used to enjoy the night out at a bar, when I was 24 or so. Now it is beyond tedious. I feel like the chaperone at the high school prom or something.
Plus, in MY day..oh, does that make me sound old or what, in my day cocktails were like 75 cents, call drinks a dollar ten. Now the cheapest go for like seven eight dollars, sometimes more. that gets pricey REAL fast. And, even drinking has become dull and old hat. Nothing 'better' than watching a group from out of town pound down shooters and scream in triumph at how much FUN they are having.
There is a video bar in this town that airs show tune clips and that is a popular night, the only one I can tolerate. Luckily the demographic here is a bit more, uh, MATURE, and for once I don't feel like grandpa seated at the children's table.
I guess PS is still relatively inexpensive. Drinks in NYC often cost $12 -$20 each. And that's not even an exotic drink.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 7 min Frankie Rizzo 742
looking for gay contacts in jeddah (Mar '14) 10 min jeddah both 24
meet here gays.(. jeddah) (Feb '10) 20 min jeddah both 12,774
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 56 min George 1,372
jeddah riyadh dammam top and bottom (Jun '11) 1 hr cute mani 827
Chattanooga voters repeal civil rights for LGBT... 2 hr Michael 78
New education minister's ties to church critici... 5 hr cpeter1313 2
goodlooking filipino offering massage in jeddah (Jul '13) Tue seekingfilipino 316
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Transgender People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••