Transsexuals face surgery 'double sta...

Transsexuals face surgery 'double standard'

There are 6 comments on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation story from May 23, 2013, titled Transsexuals face surgery 'double standard'. In it, Australian Broadcasting Corporation reports that:

Both men and women seek surgery to reduce or enlarge their sexual organs - should transsexuals be treated differently? Jo Latham, a doctoral student at the Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society , at Melbourne's La Trobe University, lays out his argument in a recent issue of the journal Aesthetic Plastic Surgery .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

Since: Nov 12

Killeen, TX

#1 May 23, 2013
Latham correctly identifies the problem, but proposes the wrong solution. All cosmetic surgery patients should be required to have a psychological evaluation prior to surgery, to screen for body dysmorphic disorder.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#2 May 24, 2013
MallardFeelmore wrote:
Latham correctly identifies the problem, but proposes the wrong solution. All cosmetic surgery patients should be required to have a psychological evaluation prior to surgery, to screen for body dysmorphic disorder.
All Cometic patients are screened before surgery although it's not a evaluation like a therapist gives a TS it's much more of a conversation about why the individual want the surgery. I have to disagree with Latham the requirements that are in place are there for a reason, because like it or not we have crazy people walking around in society. People who suffer from all kinds of conditions and if given free rein there are some that would be cutting off limbs or getting surgery like Breast Augmentation or GRS without the advice of counseling or therapy both of which are very necessary IMO.

Since: Nov 12

Killeen, TX

#3 May 24, 2013
As an example, look at Michael Jackson. No ethical plastic surgeon would have done all that MJ wanted done. MJ almost certainly suffered from body dysmorphic disorder, and no amount of surgery was ever enough for him to be able to look in the mirror and be satisfied with what he saw. We have to provide qualified screenings for prospective patients of plastic surgery by licensed counselors and mental health professionals.

Location hidden

#4 May 24, 2013
MallardFeelmore wrote:
As an example, look at Michael Jackson. No ethical plastic surgeon would have done all that MJ wanted done. MJ almost certainly suffered from body dysmorphic disorder, and no amount of surgery was ever enough for him to be able to look in the mirror and be satisfied with what he saw. We have to provide qualified screenings for prospective patients of plastic surgery by licensed counselors and mental health professionals.
I agree completely with you, sorry for the confustion if you thought I didn't I miss read your original post. I thought you were supporting his opinion of not requiring evaluations.
Effendi Bohong

Denpasar, Indonesia

#5 May 24, 2013
Isn't it a bit like gelding the lily ??

Location hidden

#6 May 24, 2013
Effendi Bohong wrote:
Isn't it a bit like gelding the lily ??
I'm sorry I'm not sure how you mean that. Are you saying evaluation and therapy is "gilding" and that you feel their unnecessary ? If so you are sorely wrong theres some real sick people running loose on our streets and if left to their own devices they'd be doing surgery in their basements.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump also mocked Rosie O'Donnell for being gay... 6 min Prosperity Fundie... 1
News Anti-gay slur sparks protest on BC campus 6 min Flordia Gator 12
News Identity Inc. presents anti-hate crimes rally 1 hr Jaded 11
News The Latest: Alabama chief justice blames a radi... 2 hr TerriB1 1
News California governor approves gender-neutral res... 2 hr TerriB1 8
lookin for top jeddah (Jul '10) 3 hr topppp 2,475
meet here gays.(. jeddah) (Feb '10) 7 hr Ziaya_04 14,390
More from around the web