Judge orders treatment for Ohio trans...

Judge orders treatment for Ohio transgender inmate

There are 28 comments on the WTOL-TV Toledo story from May 2, 2014, titled Judge orders treatment for Ohio transgender inmate. In it, WTOL-TV Toledo reports that:

A transgender prison inmate who complained about losing her breast tissue and growing facial hair after her hormone treatments were stopped must receive the treatments for the rest of her time behind bars, a federal judge ruled Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTOL-TV Toledo.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#21 May 6, 2014
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it curious that you keep insisting we must specify gender solely on the basis of anatomy, even when it may override a person's own gender identity. Since one's identity is a matter of such great personal importance, I believe it's appropriate that we value it rather than reject it. Besides, people's gender usually appears to be consistent with their gender identity, at least in my experience.
I didn't use anatomy only, That is why I mentioned the prison.
Reverse question, why do some keep saying 'she'? simply because of the hormones or the his desire to be female? If HE isn't a HE, why the hormones? Honestly wondering why.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#22 May 6, 2014
Pops wrote:
<quoted text> I didn't use anatomy only, That is why I mentioned the prison.
Reverse question, why do some keep saying 'she'? simply because of the hormones or the his desire to be female? If HE isn't a HE, why the hormones? Honestly wondering why.
Two reasons:(1) one's identity is a matter of such great personal importance that I believe it's appropriate that we value it rather than reject it and (2) in my experience, people's gender usually appears to be consistent with their gender identity.

I'll elaborate. Let's assume for the purpose of illustration that you were born with a male body. Let's also assume, however, that you feel like you're a female and that your male body were a serious error. You do what girls do, behave like a girl and long to have the anatomical/biochemical error corrected. I don't know if you can imagine such a situation, but that's my understanding of how it is for them. It seems only natural to regard transgender people born with male bodies to be females. It's how they feel, behave and dress and what they find interesting. Hormone applications are a part of the correction, a cosmetic application to suppress masculine characteristics and/or enhance feminine characteristics.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#23 May 6, 2014
Oh, I do understand well. I have a niece that is openly a lesbian, An old playmate/friend of 1 of my sons is no longer Brian, it's now Emily, & I have known this 'youngster' who is now 24 since he was about 13, & as a youth myself, I had a classmate that clearly was meant to be a women. He loved long painted nails, had affemmanite (sp)hips & walked with a 'swing'. In my mind, his chromesones were atypically wired at birth.
I am OK with all of them.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#24 May 6, 2014
Pops wrote:
Oh, I do understand well. I have a niece that is openly a lesbian, An old playmate/friend of 1 of my sons is no longer Brian, it's now Emily, & I have known this 'youngster' who is now 24 since he was about 13, & as a youth myself, I had a classmate that clearly was meant to be a women. He loved long painted nails, had affemmanite (sp)hips & walked with a 'swing'. In my mind, his chromesones were atypically wired at birth.
I am OK with all of them.
Good for you, Pops. Perhaps you're OK enough with Emily to address her as Emily, as I suspect she'd prefer.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#25 May 6, 2014
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you, Pops. Perhaps you're OK enough with Emily to address her as Emily, as I suspect she'd prefer.
NO problem but I know him for many more years as Brian which he has no problem with either.
He/she makes a pretty decent looking female too. A better looking girl than a guy.
It takes a lot of personal character to 'come out' with a gender switch especially when to whatever point, the people that know your past NOW need to accept the change at whatever age.
I do respect ALL of the people in that scenario to get on with their lives. It can't be easy.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#26 May 7, 2014
Pops wrote:
<quoted text> NO problem but I know him for many more years as Brian which he has no problem with either.
He/she makes a pretty decent looking female too. A better looking girl than a guy.
It takes a lot of personal character to 'come out' with a gender switch especially when to whatever point, the people that know your past NOW need to accept the change at whatever age.
I do respect ALL of the people in that scenario to get on with their lives. It can't be easy.
When you let people know you, you're easy to like and respect.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#27 May 7, 2014
IF someone doesn't pee in my pool, let their dog crap in my yard & things like that, I can get along with just about anyone.
I have an age old friend (45 yrs) that said that he will miss me in heaven (because I don't believe as he does I am excluded from heaven) I told him that I have no use for someone that would denigrate the beliefs of others & more than I care to type along with reminding him that Jesus was NOT & is NOT intolerant. Even of sinners on this earth.
Without my knowledge he also used supposedly visiting me as an excuse for him having a long term affair. His 1st wife, whom I thought a lot of,( we went to high school together & I lived with them for a short time when I got out of the army) she didn't want me or him at her funeral & her children enforced her wishes as they should have. I didn't appreciate that either.
Our relationship has not been the same since, even tho we do occasionally E-mail each other about notable family events.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#28 May 7, 2014
OH! I forgot to add, Will & Linda were also 'best man' & matron of honor at my marriage to Kathy. So we did have a close relationship that Will violated dramatically in the later years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 15 min Poof1 7,102
News Caitlyn Jenner to write weekly editorials on LG... 1 hr Ms Vilonia 3
where guys and gays hangout in jeddah (Sep '10) 2 hr Raichi441 1,768
News US same-sex marriage ruling likely to impact ot... 2 hr goonsquad 37
Jeddah Gay BBM pins 2014 (Feb '14) 5 hr xvxxvjed 212
1000SR for anyone who is looking for me lady wo... 5 hr i dont care about... 14
looking for a girl or shemal girly bottom in da... 6 hr sexyboy 2
lookin for top jeddah (Jul '10) Jul 1 cccc 1,935
More from around the web