Judge orders treatment for Ohio transgender inmate

May 2, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WTOL-TV Toledo

A transgender prison inmate who complained about losing her breast tissue and growing facial hair after her hormone treatments were stopped must receive the treatments for the rest of her time behind bars, a federal judge ruled Friday.

Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated May 7, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#1 May 3, 2014
IF he/she would NOT commit crimes & end up in prison, this would not be an issue. IF he/she wants freedom, Stay OUT of prison fool!
Joanne Mahan

Clarksville, OH

#2 May 3, 2014
You are INSENSITIVE! I don't know why they let THINGS like you out in public! BABOON!
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#3 May 3, 2014
Joanne Mahan wrote:
You are INSENSITIVE! I don't know why they let THINGS like you out in public! BABOON!
I am NOT insensitive. Your name calling response does NOT change the FACT that if he/she stayed OUT of prison, this would not be in the news & it would not be an issue. He/She would still have been out & about as you know that he/she wishes he/she could be now & taking the hormone treatments without interruption.
I have NOT given an opinion as to what I think about the hormone treatments so you can't objectively call me insensitive..I don't lack compassion in this case. I really don't care one way or the other about he/she wanting to be a she/he. You demonstrate your lack of comprehension & replace it with assumptions.
Something else I don't have, empathy OR sympathy for people that victimize themselves & then whine for either. Just the facts lady.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#4 May 4, 2014
Thanks to some online research, I discovered that the judge who made the decision must be riding the crest of the wave of changing medical opinion. Whereas, DSM 4 classifies gender identity disorder and establishes criteria for it that require the opinion of a clinician, the upcoming revision, DSM 5, attempts to removes stigma by replacing the diagnosis with "gender dysphoria," a term that protects their access to care and won’t be used against them in social, occupational, or legal areas.

DSM is the Diagnostic and Statistics Manual published by the American Psychiatric Association. The essence of the revision is to normalize transgender by recognizing stresses associated with it a problem requiring treatment, as opposed to being transgender itself.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#5 May 4, 2014
Pops wrote:
<quoted text> I am NOT insensitive. Your name calling response does NOT change the FACT that if he/she stayed OUT of prison, this would not be in the news & it would not be an issue. He/She would still have been out & about as you know that he/she wishes he/she could be now & taking the hormone treatments without interruption.
I have NOT given an opinion as to what I think about the hormone treatments so you can't objectively call me insensitive..I don't lack compassion in this case. I really don't care one way or the other about he/she wanting to be a she/he. You demonstrate your lack of comprehension & replace it with assumptions.
Something else I don't have, empathy OR sympathy for people that victimize themselves & then whine for either. Just the facts lady.
Of course, Pops, getting the hormones she requires to remain feminine physically would not be an issue if she were not in prison, but the fact is she is in prison.

You seem to imply that she should be deprived of treatment.

You also add that you "don't have, empathy OR sympathy for people that victimize themselves & then whine for either." What's that about?

If you wish to deny being insensitive, you might want to rethink your rhetoric.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#6 May 4, 2014
Let me explain what I mean by 'self victimization': A willful voluntary act that minimizes one well being, or future' because of an action of their choice.
For WILLFUL VOLUNTARY acts I have already stated that I have no sympathy.
NO one made this person commit CRIMES! In fact, they are crimes because statutes tell US NOT to perform such acts.
Now if someone falls on ice & sprains a leg or ankle or gets hit by a drunk driver, I would have considerable sympathy. But NO sympathy for the drunk.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#7 May 4, 2014
Pops wrote:
Let me explain what I mean by 'self victimization': A willful voluntary act that minimizes one well being, or future' because of an action of their choice.
For WILLFUL VOLUNTARY acts I have already stated that I have no sympathy.
NO one made this person commit CRIMES! In fact, they are crimes because statutes tell US NOT to perform such acts.
Now if someone falls on ice & sprains a leg or ankle or gets hit by a drunk driver, I would have considerable sympathy. But NO sympathy for the drunk.
What I don't understand, Pops, is how you apparently believe a transvestite prisoner should be deprived of her hormone treatments. I say "apparently" because you couch it in terms of lacking sympathy, so I'm not sure exactly where you stand on the issue. Do you believe we should deprive people prisoners of their needs because they are responsible for being prisoners? If so, why?

If you required a diabetic diet to stay alive and were sentenced to a prison term, would it be too sympathetic of us not to deprive you of your special diet because it's you who'd be to blame for being in prison?

Should all prisoners be fed only bread and water, or perhaps nothing at all?
Joanne

Jackson, OH

#8 May 4, 2014
"Pops" is clearly a bigot.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#9 May 4, 2014
'Pops' is NOT "CLEARLY" a bigot. And to say so is NOT objective. I have intentionally 'couched' my posts as kuda puts it, because I am trying to stay objective & factual & keep my personal feelings out of this issue.
My personal feelings are NOT a part of this persons court issue. AND we have quite limited information from 1 news article. For instance, has this person had a psyc eval? IF so by whom, how many sessions, & with what experience?
For all you know I am Gay, a vegetarian, female, a minister, Bi-racial, Japanese or simply a kook.
BUT, for the record, IF a person has a true health issue, then of course they should get care. This person seems to suffer from depression because of this but how many incarcerated people have depression? Depression that has been determined that could indicate harm to this person or to others by this person should be treated in a way to be determined by an M.D., not those of us on a blog site although WE are entitled to post our opinions.
BUT without proper info, that is just what they are...opinions.
The prisons & jails have rather strict regulations when it comes to providing drugs of different 'schedules'(the lawful term) per the FDA & per security regulations.
This issue may have NEEDED to be brought before a judge to deal with those restrictions. WE do NOT know from the limited info that we have.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#10 May 4, 2014
Pops wrote:
'Pops' is NOT "CLEARLY" a bigot. And to say so is NOT objective. I have intentionally 'couched' my posts as kuda puts it, because I am trying to stay objective & factual & keep my personal feelings out of this issue.
My personal feelings are NOT a part of this persons court issue. AND we have quite limited information from 1 news article. For instance, has this person had a psyc eval? IF so by whom, how many sessions, & with what experience?
For all you know I am Gay, a vegetarian, female, a minister, Bi-racial, Japanese or simply a kook.
BUT, for the record, IF a person has a true health issue, then of course they should get care. This person seems to suffer from depression because of this but how many incarcerated people have depression? Depression that has been determined that could indicate harm to this person or to others by this person should be treated in a way to be determined by an M.D., not those of us on a blog site although WE are entitled to post our opinions.
BUT without proper info, that is just what they are...opinions.
The prisons & jails have rather strict regulations when it comes to providing drugs of different 'schedules'(the lawful term) per the FDA & per security regulations.
This issue may have NEEDED to be brought before a judge to deal with those restrictions. WE do NOT know from the limited info that we have.
So, your only point is to state the obvious — that people give up freedom by going to prison?
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#11 May 4, 2014
By going to prison because of THEIR willful actions...yes. That is pretty much my point in a nutshell.
That is NOT obvious to a lot of people.
Example being the wrong doer that complains that someone 'snitched' on them. My perspective is to NOT do something for someone to 'snitch' about.
Remember, I said that the prison "may" have had to have a judges order to provide the hormones. This article doesn't say. And the 'press' makes & sells copies as much by lack of info as it does by providing info. And I have been incarcerated myself....because of MY willful actions.
I did NOT look for or expect sympathy for my actions. I owned up to my choices of action. No excuses.
But like I also said, IF there is a detrimental medical reason, NO ONE should be deprived of care.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#12 May 4, 2014
Pops wrote:
By going to prison because of THEIR willful actions...yes. That is pretty much my point in a nutshell.
That is NOT obvious to a lot of people.
Example being the wrong doer that complains that someone 'snitched' on them. My perspective is to NOT do something for someone to 'snitch' about.
Remember, I said that the prison "may" have had to have a judges order to provide the hormones. This article doesn't say. And the 'press' makes & sells copies as much by lack of info as it does by providing info. And I have been incarcerated myself....because of MY willful actions.
I did NOT look for or expect sympathy for my actions. I owned up to my choices of action. No excuses.
But like I also said, IF there is a detrimental medical reason, NO ONE should be deprived of care.
I was having trouble trying to establish a connection between your post and the topic, Pops. I now understand that your mission is to point out the causal relationship involved in crime and punishment, aside from the issue per se. I'm curious what it is that bothers you about people blaming others rather than accepting full responsibility for their transgressions.
Fuyuhana

Aurora, CO

#13 May 4, 2014
Pops wrote:
<quoted text> I am NOT insensitive. Your name calling response does NOT change the FACT that if he/she stayed OUT of prison, this would not be in the news & it would not be an issue. He/She would still have been out & about as you know that he/she wishes he/she could be now & taking the hormone treatments without interruption.
Heres the deal if she was starting hormones in prison that would be one thing. But she was on hormones before entering prison. When in prions they usually continue medically prescribed treatments. Hormones are medically prescribed
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#14 May 5, 2014
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
I was having trouble trying to establish a connection between your post and the topic, Pops. I now understand that your mission is to point out the causal relationship involved in crime and punishment, aside from the issue per se. I'm curious what it is that bothers you about people blaming others rather than accepting full responsibility for their transgressions.
IF one truly wants to 'recover' from crime, gambling, alcohol, being an abuser/bully, or whatever, the very very 1st step is to accept responsibility. NOT responsibility for past actions but that one has responsibility & with that the power to change.
That is improving & moving forward.
Excuses & denial are negatives & the surrendering of the power to improve.
I am NOT picking or belittling anyone. We are human & by nature have flaws. I for one am a person with my own issues.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#15 May 5, 2014
Fuyuhana wrote:
<quoted text>
Heres the deal if she was starting hormones in prison that would be one thing. But she was on hormones before entering prison. When in prions they usually continue medically prescribed treatments. Hormones are medically prescribed
Here's the deal; 1st,This person is NOT a she. The anatomical equipment is male, He/she still produces ejaculate for all we know. The hormones SUPPRESSED facial hair & grew breast. The penis did not fall off, gonads are still there. There are no ovaries.
I am not being insulting, just objective. I would not want to be this person. The identity struggle must be some level of torment.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#16 May 5, 2014
Pops wrote:
<quoted text> IF one truly wants to 'recover' from crime, gambling, alcohol, being an abuser/bully, or whatever, the very very 1st step is to accept responsibility. NOT responsibility for past actions but that one has responsibility & with that the power to change.
That is improving & moving forward.
Excuses & denial are negatives & the surrendering of the power to improve.
I am NOT picking or belittling anyone. We are human & by nature have flaws. I for one am a person with my own issues.
Pops, I've generally found your posts to be unclear because of your being aloof. However, this time, you've really connected. While you seem to be a person set in your ways, as are perhaps most of us here, you personal search opens you to consider new ideas. I also appreciate your sense of fairness.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#17 May 5, 2014
Pops wrote:
<quoted text> Here's the deal; 1st,This person is NOT a she. The anatomical equipment is male, He/she still produces ejaculate for all we know. The hormones SUPPRESSED facial hair & grew breast. The penis did not fall off, gonads are still there. There are no ovaries.
I am not being insulting, just objective. I would not want to be this person. The identity struggle must be some level of torment.
I am sometimes entertained by 'judgements' of posts (mine & or others posts) that get judgements that are NOT consistent or are even in conflict with the FACTS or with TRUTH.
IF one disagrees with any post, they should base their disagreement with Facts or Truth, YOU have NOT done so.
So YOUR posts or judgements mean nothing. Even less than nothing

“Peace”

Since: Feb 08

Earth

#18 May 6, 2014
I would like to find information on her case. Three years is a long time for forgery and theft in most cases. There are some addicts around here that are in and out of jail several times a year on similar charges..
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#19 May 6, 2014
I agree about the 3 yrs seeming lengthy on the surface.
He could have a long list of prior crimes. OR he could have had literally dozens of counts that if found guilty in court could have gotten him much more time so he plea bargained for the three.
As I have said numerous times, information is lacking, especially for such emotional posts.
One other thing, this person is NOT a she. That is why Antoine Lee is in a male's prison.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#20 May 6, 2014
Pops wrote:
I agree about the 3 yrs seeming lengthy on the surface.
He could have a long list of prior crimes. OR he could have had literally dozens of counts that if found guilty in court could have gotten him much more time so he plea bargained for the three.
As I have said numerous times, information is lacking, especially for such emotional posts.
One other thing, this person is NOT a she. That is why Antoine Lee is in a male's prison.
I find it curious that you keep insisting we must specify gender solely on the basis of anatomy, even when it may override a person's own gender identity. Since one's identity is a matter of such great personal importance, I believe it's appropriate that we value it rather than reject it. Besides, people's gender usually appears to be consistent with their gender identity, at least in my experience.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Legislature Says No to "Gay Panic" Defense 5 min eJohn 42
Chattanooga voters repeal civil rights for LGBT... 9 min NorCal Native 41
Police hunting anti-gay pamphleteers: one dress... 58 min Dubya 8
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 3 hr Hue 878
Residents see Europe best for gays and lesbians... 8 hr Xstain Mullah Fra... 25
meet here gays.(. jeddah) (Feb '10) 8 hr good 12,661
goodlooking filipino offering massage in jeddah (Jul '13) 8 hr mmm 296
where guys and gays hangout in jeddah (Sep '10) 10 hr asadkhan 1,326
lookin for top jeddah (Jul '10) 16 hr indian top jeddah 1,114
Massage in Jeddah ASAP (Sep '13) Tue jhon 142