DADT Repeal Does Nothing For Trans So...

DADT Repeal Does Nothing For Trans Soldiers

There are 653 comments on the www.womanist-musings.com story from Dec 21, 2010, titled DADT Repeal Does Nothing For Trans Soldiers. In it, www.womanist-musings.com reports that:

While the GL community is celebrating the passage and imminent signing of the DADT repeal into law by President Obama, pardon the trans community if we are feeling as though we just got handed another lump of coal in our civil rights Christmas stocking.

"It should be recognized that DADT has never included directives concerning Transgender people serving in the military. Therefore, there was no call from Transgender Americans to equally serve in the military of their country, without persecution and discrimination. However, Transgender people who have and still do serve under the same pre-DADT conditions, still find it necessary to lie and hide who they are, contrary to the best traditions of the military."

"We now press our GLB brothers and sisters to finish the job and help provide the means for Transgender people to be able to serve their country openly and equally as do all Americans."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.womanist-musings.com.

First Prev
of 33
Next Last

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#1 Dec 21, 2010
FoxFact, Transpeople are not covered. FoxFact, transpeople need to be covered.
FoxFact, Sarah Palin is a Transperson.

FoxFact, the sky is falling.

FoxFact the repulsive do not support FoxFacts.

FoxFact, So they belong under the bus, Gays don't like them, Lesbians don't like them.

FoxFact, even straight people do not like them.

foxFact, Hannady looks nice in a dress.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#2 Dec 21, 2010
Not going to happen.

Advances in gay & lesbian rights have been delayed in large part because of the continued confusion amongst the general public between sexual orientation and gender identity.

As a gay man I've battled my entire life the misconception that since I'm gay then I must also wear a dress or high heels or want to be a woman, blah, blah, blah. After retiring from the military I actually had one job interview where the guy's only concern was whether or not I was going to wear a dress to work. He couldn't care less about the fact that I was a gay vet, he just honestly thought all gays wear dresses at some point.

The anti-gays have used that prejudice to their advantage for decades, ever since the first drag queens got public notice. Now that DADT is going away, Americans can see openly gay uniformed servicmembers proudly defending our country; they'll realize that not all gays have limp-wrist & lisps & wear high heels.

The transgender are going to have to make their own argument and convince the general public of the validity of such an argument.
bobobobobob

Springfield, MA

#3 Dec 21, 2010
SO ARE WE GOING TO HAVE TO CHANGE THE WORDING OF EVERYTHING IN THE MILITARY TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT
example

fire in the hole
bringing up the rear
bunker busters
cover my rear
tail gunner
poopdeck

ect
deeds

Cincinnati, OH

#4 Dec 21, 2010
God is transgendered , and , why would I kill people ? Take your army and your wars, stick them up your ass as far as you can and tell me if you're trans or gay..You people are fuckng evil ...
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#6 Dec 21, 2010
Obamaniac® should veto the bill and tell congrsss to fix it to include trans Americans. Anyone opposed to this is against trans Americans and believes they have no rights.

IMPEACH THIS BUM !

NEXT !

“Created Equal”

Since: Feb 08

USA

#7 Dec 21, 2010
(a)
"pardon the trans community if we are feeling as though we just got handed another lump of coal in our civil rights Christmas stocking."

(b)
"We now press our GLB brothers and sisters to finish the job and help provide the means for Transgender people to be able to serve their country openly and equally as do all Americans."

'LGBT' is an acronym of convenience, not a community. It seems to me that Bi and Trans folk have been overwhelmingly invisible in support of Lesbian and Gay equality, as in quoted paragraph (a) above. Not true of all, but of many. I'm not saying that the Lesbian and Gay social culture has been particularly accepting of Bi and Trans people either, because I know it hasn't.

But doesn't it strike you as hypocritical to say (a): so you overcame a major milestone, why should WE celebrate? And then turn around and say (b): Why aren't Lesbians and Gays and Bi's fighting harder for Trans folk?

The Acronym LGBT is for the straight people; most particularly the ones whose eyes would roll back in their head if you tried to explain "M2F" and "F2M," and firmly believe that all gay men are automatically effeminate by royal decree.

I'm not saying it's right or fair, but let's face it. Even lesbians and gay men barely interweave (well, one day a year, for a parade, but that's about it.) Each of the letters in our cobbled four-letter word "elgeebeetee" is a distinct group with it's own culture. Lesbians and Gays, the general public are coming to halfway understand because --statistically-- we make up the numeric bulk of LGBT. We're the majority of the activists. Many Bi folks I've known are less concerned about activism, and Trans folks are just fewer and further between. Consequently, the latter two groups rarely lead the movement. If the minority you belong to makes up less than half of one percent of the general population, it's going to be difficult to weild political power without alliances.

So my advice is this: If you're a Transperson, then it might benefit you to embrace the "LGBT" umbrella, and give a full-throated cheer for the repeal of DADT. The rights movement is accomplishing EVERYTHING it can, in the order of what can be accomplished first.

Granted that social and civil equality for Trans people will be harder to achieve, and will take longer. But if Trans folk only go and sulk every time an LGBT victory as MAJOR as the repeal of DADT doesn't specifically play to the "T", then maybe the "T" feels it could do better off without it's "LGB" allies? Not very likely.

There is a long way to go, and each step will be easier if we are ALL moving in the same direction, and marking every milestone, even if we haven't all gotten to where we think we deserve to be yet.

DADT does not directly affect me. For that matter, neither do marriage rights as I don't plan on marrying any time soon. But these are the issues on which we can make progress now.
stewie

Seattle, WA

#8 Dec 21, 2010
ScottyMatic - well said.

I have a bone to pick with the "T" community - I don't see how changing your gender has anything to do with gay/lesbian rights. You used to be a woman who loves women, now you're a man who loves women (or vice versa). Where is the problem for you? What rights are you missing? Didn't you just gain all of them??

Location hidden

#9 Dec 21, 2010
bobobobobob wrote:
SO ARE WE GOING TO HAVE TO CHANGE THE WORDING OF EVERYTHING IN THE MILITARY TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT
example
fire in the hole
bringing up the rear
bunker busters
cover my rear
tail gunner
poopdeck
ect
Only for you and your family.

Tawas City, Michigan

#10 Dec 21, 2010
Frank Stanton wrote:
..........CENSORED..........
You're not allowed to post until you admit you were WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#11 Dec 21, 2010
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not allowed to post until you admit you were WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.
Who appointed you Gay Bully Hall Monitor ???

Tawas City, Michigan

#12 Dec 21, 2010
Frank Stanton wrote:
..........CENSORED..........
Until you admit you were wrong you have no credibility. It's the hole you dug for yourself.

Location hidden

#13 Dec 21, 2010
stewie wrote:
ScottyMatic - well said.
I have a bone to pick with the "T" community - I don't see how changing your gender has anything to do with gay/lesbian rights. You used to be a woman who loves women, now you're a man who loves women (or vice versa). Where is the problem for you? What rights are you missing? Didn't you just gain all of them??
Amazing how far some will go to say they have not a clue.

SLAP,SLAP,

Now listen a person born with a different idea of the sex of their body and their mind have to do something about it. It needs to be repaired, either by removing part of the brain or removing and remodeling to body so they match.

It has NOTHING to do with sexual activity.

It has only to do with who we see in the mirror and how we feel about our bodies.

Over education, a person is born with a left arm that constantly jerks and can get to where it make it imposable to balance, To be out in public is embarrassing. the arm is in perfect health but the brain tick jerks it all over. either remove the arm or remove a part of the brain.

We are repelled by our body configuration, And make the needed changes, in many it means they have a complete sexual and gender change.

Who we sleep with has absolutely nothing to do with it. Who we used to sleep with has nothing to do with it. it is all about who we are. Some find changes in their perspective on who they desire, other do not. some just give it up and live very happy lives alone.

Now we supported your right to whom you sleep with or how you identify.

Now support us.

Sei

Since: Nov 08

Amesbury, MA

#14 Dec 21, 2010
I have been contemplating addressing this for a while. I have never had good relations with the transgender community as a whole because I do not think of myself as transgender. I lack that whole identity, and I am sorry but it is an identity. There are issues that need to be addressed, but as someone who is intersex spectrum, I don't really feel comfortable addressing those issues. To this day, I've had a lot of transpeople attack me for just continuing on as a lesbian woman.

That said- transpeople are kept from the military by policies and not laws. They cannot serve because they are classified as having a mental disorder thanks to the current DSM, and because of the rather complex surgery that they have to change sexes. Those policies could be changed easily if it were shown through lobbying that the diagnosis of transsexuality and the surgeries will not effect combat readiness and capacity.

For those who have read LGR for a long time, yeah, I was finally able to get a fairly positive diagnosis of my being along the spectrum of intersex disorders.

Sei

Amesbury, MA

#15 Dec 21, 2010
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Until you admit you were wrong you have no credibility. It's the hole you dug for yourself.
He will NEVER admit that he's wrong.

Location hidden

#16 Dec 21, 2010
Frank Stanton wrote:
Obamaniac® should veto the bill and tell congrsss to fix it to include trans Americans. Anyone opposed to this is against trans Americans and believes they have no rights.
IMPEACH THIS BUM !
NEXT !
Amazingly I agree with you.

Start seeing transpeople.

FoxFact, Fox is the new source for America, not.....

Sei

Amesbury, MA

#17 Dec 21, 2010
ScottyMatic wrote:
(a)
"pardon the trans community if we are feeling as though we just got handed another lump of coal in our civil rights Christmas stocking."...
Scotty,

You are right on this, and I have to add to something that you said. There are, all told, eight different groups within the LGBT Community. I've been doing some counting on this. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Asexual, Transgender, Intersexed, Queer and Allied. Heck, of those, two of them I'm not even sure what those amount to. There are probably more out there. We need to go back to the eight color flag, and maybe even expand it to, oh, ten or so colors.

I have to say that you are also right that lesbians and gays don't get along very well. I certainly do not get along with men overly well. Heck, other than other lesbians, I don't tend to get along well with any of the rest of our Community, and my other aspect in that spectrum is hardly ever mentioned.

Sometimes I don't think we're a Community so much as a mob.

Sei

Amesbury, MA

#18 Dec 21, 2010
pauline 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It wouldn't matter. The law does not effect transpeople. They are covered by policies that are easily changed with lobbying.

Sei

Amesbury, MA

#19 Dec 21, 2010
I should say that Scotty is write on some of what he said.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#20 Dec 21, 2010
pauline 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
My fiancee was trans and I've known a few trans people over the years.

The fact that many gay and lesbian people exclude trans people, and look down on trans people is despicable.
Not duped

Grove City, PA

#21 Dec 21, 2010
stewie wrote:
ScottyMatic - well said.
I don't get why you have to be trans: If you a man who becomes a woman, why aren't you simply a woman? If you were a woman and become a man, why aren't you simply a man? What possible benefit can there be to dragging that "trans" label behind you your whole life? If you are "trans," then you really aren't either one, so what's the point of going through all that expense.

BTW, people will truly fight transgender people being out in the military if it means that tax payers will be paying for sex change operations in military benefits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 33
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I need sexy massage in Jeddah 24 min junais47 8
News Parade kicks off Erie's pride festival 28 min Ryan B 44
News Study: Children Of Same-Sex Parents More Likely... 28 min Lawrence Wolf 164
News Indiana lawmakers to discuss ongoing LGBT right... 36 min lides 19
News School board, sued by transgender student, asks... 3 hr Christ is Arisen 7
lookin for top jeddah (Jul '10) 5 hr ndis 2,454
News Juan Gabriel was Mexico's gay icon a " but he n... 13 hr david traversa 1
More from around the web