Rutherford Schools Asked to Replace L...

Rutherford Schools Asked to Replace LGBT Posters

There are 5 comments on the EDGE story from Aug 23, 2013, titled Rutherford Schools Asked to Replace LGBT Posters. In it, EDGE reports that:

The American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee is asking the Rutherford County school board to reconsider a decision to take down posters identifying classrooms as safe spaces for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 Aug 23, 2013
C'MON "EDGE". Where are pix of the posters in question?
Christshariah Law

Havertown, PA

#3 Aug 23, 2013
Maybe the school took the safe space posters down because their color scheme clashes with the wall paint used for the classrooms?
Anonymous

Murfreesboro, TN

#4 Dec 1, 2013
As a student at the school, I can say it was a poster like this one.

http://www.pflagphoenix.org/images/glsen_safe...

There are a couple students who are posting images and posters on their lockers to make a statement. I just think it's weird that it's okay for them to post something that is right-wing but if it is left-winged it is said to be "political in nature." This poster was about not bullying the LGBT community, not making a scene.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#5 Dec 1, 2013
Um.... Should ALL spaces and areas be safe for LGBT people and EVERYONE ???

Or does that make too much sense ???
Anonymous

Murfreesboro, TN

#6 Dec 2, 2013
Most people in Tennessee don't think for themselves. So yes, it does make too much sense, but since it talks about being nice to the LGBT community specifically, it's "too political" to be in a school.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Berkshire Trans Group aims for support, empower... 3 min The Worlds Bigges... 13
News Roger Hines: Clarity and controversy from the B... 2 hr facts 92
News Harvard withdraws fellowship invitation to Chel... 3 hr fingers mcgurke 28
News Brazil ruling that homosexuality is disease to ... 3 hr Johnny 8
News Trump Adds to Rollback of Obama Legacy With Ant... 17 hr TomInElPaso 106
News Transgender Employee Fired by VA Hospital Conte... 20 hr Hunter 2
News Talking to Your Children about Transgender Tue TerriB1 1
More from around the web