Oakland bishop puts morality clause t...

Oakland bishop puts morality clause thoughts in writing

There are 5 comments on the SFGate story from Jun 30, 2014, titled Oakland bishop puts morality clause thoughts in writing. In it, SFGate reports that:

As promised, the Catholic Bbshop of Oakland documented in writing his thoughts on the controversial morality clause in the teachers' contract at the diocese's schools.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SFGate.

Priscilla W

Anonymous Proxy

#1 Jul 2, 2014
Basically teachers employed by the Oakland Diocese, who are role models for the teachings of the Catholic Church, can do whatever they want, as long as they don't get caught and it doesn't cause the Church a scandal? Isn't that how all the sexual abuse started? By keeping it all quiet until it causes a scandal, in spite of people in charge knowing about it? Teachers at our schools can intimidate others into abortions, have martial affairs, be heavy drinkers, seek out prostitutes, and as long as it doesn't cause the church a "scandal" it's ok? I'm sorry, but I want the people teaching my kids at the school I PAY tuition for, to be a little better than this. Way to wimp out Bishop Barber.
Just curious.

United States

#2 Jul 2, 2014
Question: What authority makes Barber the Judge and Jury of morality? The Church long gave that right up when they covered up priest pedophiles and committed other horrendous acts throughout the centuries in the name of God.
Dan

United States

#3 Jul 2, 2014
[QUOTE who="Just curious."]Question: What authority makes Barber the Judge and Jury of morality? The Church long gave that right up when they covered up priest pedophiles and committed other horrendous acts throughout the centuries in the name of God.[/QUOTE]

Barber is in charge of the Catholic schools in his diocese.

Nice shorehorning in of the "Godwin's Law" of discussion of Catholic issues (the sex scandal), though.

Beats having to make an argument on the issue at hand.
Dan

United States

#4 Jul 2, 2014
Priscilla W wrote:
Basically teachers employed by the Oakland Diocese, who are role models for the teachings of the Catholic Church, can do whatever they want, as long as they don't get caught and it doesn't cause the Church a scandal? Isn't that how all the sexual abuse started? By keeping it all quiet until it causes a scandal, in spite of people in charge knowing about it? Teachers at our schools can intimidate others into abortions, have martial affairs, be heavy drinkers, seek out prostitutes, and as long as it doesn't cause the church a "scandal" it's ok? I'm sorry, but I want the people teaching my kids at the school I PAY tuition for, to be a little better than this. Way to wimp out Bishop Barber.
Barber isn't interested, nor should he be, into prying into every crevice of the lives of the teachers.

The teachers (hopefully) understand where they are and what Catholic teaching is (since they are exposed to it all day, every week).

If they do something publicly that contradicts the Church teaching that they put forth in school, the teacher can be terminated.

Pretty simple and it's in use all over the country in Catholic school teacher contracts. Even gay people are bound by contracts, so no one's being singled out unfairly.
EddyJ

El Sobrante, CA

#5 Jul 16, 2014
Must be questionable if this Bishop needs to justify his actions in writing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Feds' transgender guidance provokes fierce back... 5 min woodtick57 849
News Texas Republican: Backing trans-bathrooms is th... 30 min TerriB1 9
goodlooking filipino offering massage in jeddah (Jul '13) 1 hr Asianchubby69 671
Need Filipino (Only) for massage in jeddah 4 hr GTR-Wanted 1
News Barber shop turns away transgender man 5 hr TerriB1 1
News The Long Evolution of Target 6 hr TerriB1 5
need a massage in jeddah by filipino (Feb '14) 10 hr GTR-Wanted 13
More from around the web