Teaching Gay History in California

Jul 9, 2011 Full story: EDGE 12,515

California lawmakers on Tuesday sent the governor a bill that would make the state the first requiring public schools to include the contributions of gays and lesbians in social studies curriculum.

Full Story

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#13415 Aug 26, 2013

"The idea that homosexuality is a mental disorder or that the emergence of same-sex attraction and orientation among some adolescents is in any way abnormal or mentally unhealthy has no support among any mainstream health and mental health professional organizations.

Despite the general consensus of major medical, health, and mental health professions that both heterosexuality and homosexuality are normal expressions of human sexuality, efforts to change sexual orientation through therapy have been adopted by some political and religious organizations and aggressively promoted to the public. However, such efforts have serious potential to harm young people because they present the view that the sexual orientation of lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth is a mental illness or disorder, and they often frame the inability to change one’s sexual orientation as a personal and moral failure.

Because of the aggressive promotion of efforts to change sexual orientation through therapy, a number of medical, health, and mental health professional organizations have issued public statements about the dangers of this approach. The American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Counseling Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the American School Counselor Association, the National Association of School Psychologists, and the National Association of Social Workers, together representing more than 480,000 mental health professionals, have all taken the position that homosexuality is not a mental disorder and thus is not something that needs to or can be “cured.”

The American Academy of Pediatrics advises youth that counseling may be helpful for you if you feel confused about your sexual identity. Avoid any treatments that claim to be able to change a person’s sexual orientation, or treatment ideas that see homosexuality as a sickness."

Just the Facts About Sexual Orientation and Youth [APP]

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#13416 Aug 26, 2013

Evidence exists both through clinical studies as well as through the personal testimony of millions of gay and straight people around the world who will testify they have no choice over to whom they are emotionally, romantically, and physically attracted.

Bisexual people sometimes confuse the issue as it takes some of them a long time to realize that while they experience attractions to some members of both sexes, they have no choice over being attracted. Like gay and straight people, they only have a choice of whether to act on their attractions.
Rose Feratu

Hoboken, NJ

#13418 Aug 26, 2013
Adam n Eve not Steve wrote:
A father is also pivotal in the psychological development of his young daughters also. A young girl, sexually abused, by a father -or male authoritative figure -, is a common denominator. Also, if a father verbally abuses his daughter of being unattractive, overweight, or anything less than the "apple of his eye" why in the world would she grow up attracted to men? She feels defeminized. High school, is a tough place as it is and is for the pretty and popular. If a young girl does not have that unconditional compassion and acceptance, from her dad, her yearning for other women becomes fills that void. When a father calls his daughter, "ugly" or things much worse, you may well as killed her soul. Hence, why the "butch" look? Hello!
You weren't born that way ladies. It's the lack of experiencing the unconditional love of a dad, who was created and "designed" to love his daughter like his princess, despite not having society's stereotypical features of "pretty".
One is NOT born gay, and y'all know that!
You are so full of shit I bet your eyes are brown. You cannot prove one words of that post because it simply is NOT true.
usa 76

Los Angeles, CA

#13420 Aug 26, 2013
So true. Its adam & eve NOT ann & eve.
Stickler 4 de tail

Las Vegas, NV

#13421 Aug 26, 2013
Why do we need to be taught about a type of unatural sex ? That's all it is. Not a "lifestyle" !
We should be taught about all people in general, certainly not because of sexuality !

Gays are derived from a gene gone awry !

Some "decide" they're gay all of a sudden
or because they can't find an opposite sex person that will have them.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#13422 Aug 26, 2013
Stickler 4 de tail wrote:
(nothing worth repeating)
Dear, you have a damn good malpractice claim against whoever is to blame for your 'education', even if you were home schooled.
usa 76

Los Angeles, CA

#13423 Aug 26, 2013
so, are the students going to study gay history or people in history who happened to be gay? Are.gays that insecure? A man twirling a baton in the early 1900's is just as ridiculous to witness in 2013. The only difference is they didnt wear butterfly shorts in 1900. Boring...
usa 76

Los Angeles, CA

#13424 Aug 26, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Dear, you have a damn good malpractice claim against whoever is to blame for your 'education', even if you were home schooled.
Speaking of school, your father was damn proud of you watching you play football basketball and baseball huh stud? Pathetic...

this one

#13425 Aug 26, 2013
usa 76 wrote:
(nothing worth repeating)
And I'll bet your own mommy and daddy were ever so proud when their little mistake came out of the closet as a juvenile jerk-off, or are you still in the closet?
Adam n Eve not Steve

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#13426 Aug 26, 2013
Say you have 2 boys who both wanted to be chefs and didn't have the macho athletic kids that the popular culture defines as a "boy".

A) One boy's father encourages his boy to pursue his dream. He uses successful chefs from the Food Network, as examples, to help motivate his son.

B) The other boy has a loud domineering mother who calls his boy a sissy, ridicules him -as she always does- and is ashamed of his boy not choosing a more masculine vocation. Meanwhile, the father says nothing because he is afraid of his wife.

Which boy is likely to develop a yearning for approval of a man's affections? B, right? Hello!

No one is born gay. Dysfunctional upbringing, yes.
Adam n Eve not Steve

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#13427 Aug 26, 2013
Say you have 2 boys who both wanted to be chefs and didn't have the macho athletic SKILLS that the popular culture defines as a "boy".

A) One boy's father encourages his boy to pursue his dream. He uses successful chefs from the Food Network, as examples, to help motivate his son.

B) The other boy has a loud domineering mother who calls her boy a sissy, ridicules him -as she always does- and is ashamed of his boy not choosing a more masculine vocation. Meanwhile, the father says nothing because he is afraid of his wife.

Which boy is likely to develop a yearning for approval of a man's affections? B, right? Hello!

No one is born gay. Dysfunctional upbringing, yes.

this one

#13428 Aug 26, 2013
Adam n Eve not Steve wrote:
Hello!
It was cluelessness at its worst the first time you posted it dear, it didn't improve with repetition. Your ridiculous assertions were disproved decades ago sweetie, why don't you join us in the 21st century?

No one is born a flaming idiot. I don't know or care about your upbringing, because whatever it was, it clearly didn't help and you've made some seriously dubious lifestyle choices.
usa 76

Los Angeles, CA

#13429 Aug 26, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>It was cluelessness at its worst the first time you posted it dear, it didn't improve with repetition. Your ridiculous assertions were disproved decades ago sweetie, why don't you join us in the 21st century?
No one is born a flaming idiot. I don't know or care about your upbringing, because whatever it was, it clearly didn't help and you've made some seriously dubious lifestyle choices.
your father didn't care too much for you, huh? Was he even around when you were growing up? Do you even know him?

this one

#13430 Aug 26, 2013
usa 76 wrote:
your father didn't care too much for you, huh?
Actually he loved and respected me for all that I have accomplished in life. You should be so lucky.
usa 76 wrote:
Was he even around when you were growing up?
Actually he was, my folks were together for 63 years before he passed away.
usa 76 wrote:
Do you even know him?
Strike three, you're out.
usa 76

Los Angeles, CA

#13431 Aug 26, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Actually he loved and respected me for all that I have accomplished in life. You should be so lucky.<quoted text>Actually he was, my folks were together for 63 years before he passed away. <quoted text>Strike three, you're out.
wake up toto, you're in kansas! Lol

this one

#13432 Aug 26, 2013
usa 76 wrote:
wake up toto, you're in kansas!
No? Really? Glad you told me, or I would have never known. Wake up fool, you're an idiot.
Rose Feratu

Hoboken, NJ

#13433 Aug 27, 2013
usa 76 wrote:
So true. Its adam & eve NOT ann & eve.
Really?

Grow up!
Rose Feratu

Hoboken, NJ

#13434 Aug 27, 2013
Stickler 4 de tail wrote:
Why do we need to be taught about a type of unatural sex ? That's all it is. Not a "lifestyle" !
We should be taught about all people in general, certainly not because of sexuality !
Gays are derived from a gene gone awry !
Some "decide" they're gay all of a sudden
or because they can't find an opposite sex person that will have them.
Did your mother have any children that lived, because you are brain dead.
Rose Feratu

Hoboken, NJ

#13435 Aug 27, 2013
usa 76 wrote:
so, are the students going to study gay history or people in history who happened to be gay? Are.gays that insecure? A man twirling a baton in the early 1900's is just as ridiculous to witness in 2013. The only difference is they didnt wear butterfly shorts in 1900. Boring...
Your post is all the reason needed to PROVE that gay history needs to be taught.
usa 76

Los Angeles, CA

#13436 Aug 27, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>No? Really? Glad you told me, or I would have never known. Wake up fool, you're an idiot.
wow...I feel so so foolish...you're right. Did you also know that the kansas jayhawks have one of the best college basketball programs in the country? Basketball is a sport boys played in school. Lol...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 1 hr Pro-Ukraine 1,349
Looking for bottom in jeddah 2 nite (May '13) 1 hr jksa 100
meet here gays.(. jeddah) (Feb '10) 2 hr jksa 12,769
Chattanooga voters repeal civil rights for LGBT... 5 hr NorCal Native 75
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 6 hr Shirvell s Shrivel 609
What counts as a 'real name' on Facebook? 7 hr Shirvell s Shrivel 2
First local queer film fest set for launch 7 hr Professor Jumper 8
lookin for top jeddah (Jul '10) 22 hr AhmedJeddah 1,178
•••
Enter and win $5000