Teaching Gay History in California

Teaching Gay History in California

There are 12515 comments on the EDGE story from Jul 9, 2011, titled Teaching Gay History in California. In it, EDGE reports that:

California lawmakers on Tuesday sent the governor a bill that would make the state the first requiring public schools to include the contributions of gays and lesbians in social studies curriculum.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#12738 Jan 6, 2013
Quest wrote:
Your definition of "activist" is anyone who doesn't agree with your point of view.
That's a common mistake. Words have meanings:

Judicial activism describes judicial rulings suspected of being based on personal or political considerations rather than on existing law. It is sometimes used as an antonym of judicial restraint.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_activis...

judicial activism - an interpretation of the U.S. constitution holding that the spirit of the times and the needs of the nation can legitimately influence judicial decisions (particularly decisions of the Supreme Court)
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Activist+jud...

Liberals are currently engaged in a concerted effort to redefine judicial activism. Rather than accepting the true definition of judicial activism—when a judge applies his or her own policy preferences to uphold a statute or other government action which is clearly forbidden by the Constitution—liberals now apply the term anytime a statute is struck down or when a court delivers an unfavorable decision.
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Reports/2010...

What is Judicial Activism?
Judicial activism occurs when judges write subjective policy preferences into the law rather than apply the law impartially according to its original meaning.
There are nine types of Judicial Activism:
Playing Favorites
Contorting Text
Playing Legislator
Living Constitutionalism
Abusing Precedent
Judicial Imperialism
Importing Foreign Law
Nullifying Rights
Judicial Dishonesty
http://www.orderinthecourt.org/

Uve

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#12740 Jan 6, 2013
Samatha wrote:
You lying little Buttlicker, it's the truth and you know it!
<quoted text>
When the f*ck are you going to learn how tom spell your name? You moron, you really think you're a woman? Stop fantasizing about me, there is no way I'd ever lick that nasty grey hairy aZZ! POS
crzzzd

Ellwood City, PA

#12741 Jan 7, 2013
youtube.com/watch...
win a few,lose a few gay not important?
Brenda Lee Johnson

Burbank, CA

#12742 Jan 7, 2013
It still thinks calling people who tell the truth about them Bigots!
Cool Hand Luke wrote:
Don't even try that homosexual up is down, down is up bull!
Facts are the Facts! Hey you have the Obamanites on your side!
Samatha Wrote:
Don't forget they love that smell! All of the Obamanites love the scent of bull-s...!
The DOMA act was overturned because the Obama administration refused to defend the law. This is the new strategy to force the Gay anti -Christian agenda down the throats of the American people, just don't defend the law!
This way the Obama administration can blame it on the courts and escape the wrath of the voters.
Hopefully by the time it reaches the U.S. Supreme Court we will have an administration that will defend the law.
In the meantime Gays are raving how the courts have condoned homosexuality as normal!
<quoted text>

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#12743 Jan 7, 2013
They use insults because they don't know ad hominem arguments are false. They base their support of same sex marriage on emotion; sympathy for homosexuals; not logic, law or consequences.

Uve

Location hidden

#12744 Jan 7, 2013
Brenda Lee Johnson wrote:
It still thinks calling people who tell the truth about them Bigots!
<quoted text>
Better get Checked Brenda!

The majority of women with chlamydia do not have symptoms. Cervicitis (infection of the uterine cervix) is the most common manifestation of the infection. While about half of women with chlamydial cervicitis have no symptoms, others may experience vaginal discharge or abdominal pain. Infection of the urethra is often associated with chlamydial infection of the cervix. Women with infection of the urethra (urethritis) have the typical symptoms of a urinary tract infection, including pain upon urination and the frequent and urgent need to urinate.

Chlamydia is very destructive to the Fallopian tubes. It can also cause severe pelvic infection. If untreated, about 30% of women with chlamydia will develop pelvic inflammatory disease (PID; see above). Because it is common for infected women to have no symptoms, chlamydial infection is often untreated and results in extensive destruction of the Fallopian tubes, fertility problems and tubal pregnancy.

Chlamydial infection, like gonorrhea, is associated with an increased incidence of premature births. In addition, the infant can acquire the infection during passage through the infected birth canal, leading to serious eye damage or pneumonia. For this reason, all newborns are treated with eye drops containing an antibiotic that kills chlamydia. Treatment of all newborns is routine because of the large number of infected women without symptoms and the dire consequences of chlamydial eye infection to the newborn.

Uve

Location hidden

#12745 Jan 7, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
They use insults because they don't know ad hominem arguments are false. They base their support of same sex marriage on emotion; sympathy for homosexuals; not logic, law or consequences.
Right..Why base it on discrimination? it's only a fact. I just love bigoted twirl.
Horatio Caine

Miami, FL

#12746 Jan 7, 2013
Excuse me, When you say They use insults because...." who are you speaking about?
Those that are posting information from the federal and state agencies like Luke,Brenda Lee and Samatha?
Brian_G wrote:

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#12747 Jan 7, 2013
Ironically, disease transmission information demonstrates the importance of promoting stable monogamous relationships through marriage.

It also demonstrates the importance of promoting education about safe sex practices and risk reduction, including monogamy.

While intended to demonize and excuse legal discrimination, the low disease rate for gay women shows being gay is not in itself a risk factor for disease transmission. What the information shows is anyone can become infected if exposed to an infectious agent in a way that allows transmission.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#12748 Jan 7, 2013
Horatio Caine wrote:
Excuse me, When you say They use insults because...." who are you speaking about? Those that are posting information from the federal and state agencies like Luke,Brenda Lee and Samatha?
When I say they use insults, I mean people who call their political opponents 'bigots' and 'homophobes'. I condemn all insult based arguments, even those by protectors of marriage.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#12749 Jan 7, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
Ironically, disease transmission information demonstrates the importance of promoting stable monogamous relationships through marriage.
The irony is assuming calling two gay men 'married' would promote monogamy in marriage. I believe it would harm both marriage and homosexuals.

Not Yet Equal wrote:
It also demonstrates the importance of promoting education about safe sex practices and risk reduction, including monogamy.
You don't have to be married to have an exclusive sexual relationship. The irony is many supporters of same sex marriage object to teaching celibacy to control sexually transmitted diseases.

Not Yet Equal wrote:
While intended to demonize and excuse legal discrimination, the low disease rate for gay women shows being gay is not in itself a risk factor for disease transmission. What the information shows is anyone can become infected if exposed to an infectious agent in a way that allows transmission.
Biology explains the low STD rate for gay women, not homosexuality. I oppose demonizing anyone; especially those who support protecting the male/female institution of marriage.

Joe Balls

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#12750 Jan 7, 2013
I don't care who screws who, just don't shyt out a turd and claim it's your baby!
Samatha

Dallas, TX

#12751 Jan 7, 2013
Guilty: Homosexual activist admits sending death threats to pro-life, pro-marriage leader

Thu Aug 23, 2012 17:57 EST

NEW HAVEN, August 23, 2012,– A Connecticut homosexual pled guilty on Tuesday to sending 300 threatening messages, including death threats, to the leader of a state pro-life, pro-marriage organization.

53-year-old Daniel Sarno of Enfield, Connecticut, admitted intimidating Peter Wolfgang, the executive director of the Family Institute of Connecticut, over a six-month period from last November until May.

One message read:“No mercy for homophobes. I suggest you make your funeral arrangements real soon, Mr. Wolfgang.”

Another said,“I sure hope somebody blows you away. Yer dead.”

Sarno once asked,“Are ‘family values’ worth dying for, Mr. Wolfgang?”

Wolfgang said Sarno identified himself as a homosexual in the letters, which came addressed “Attention: Peter Wolfgang.”

“Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident,” Wolfgang said .“In fact it is part of a growing and disturbing intimidation campaign among some proponents of same-sex ‘marriage.’ It is clear that their pretense of ‘tolerance’ is over.”

The conviction comes as other homosexual extremists have turned violent.

LGBT activist Floyd Corkins II shot security guard Leo Johnson at the Family Research Council’s headquarters last Wednesday after saying,“I don’t like your politics.”

In April, a group of self-proclaimed “angry queers” smashed the windows of a 100-year-old church in Oregon, because it opposes redefining marriage.“The only dialog we need with scum like Mars Hill [church] is hammers through their windows,” their note read.

Traditional Values Coalition President Andrea Lafferty said her organization has received “many, many threats from the homosexual and transgender community” dating as far back as the 1980s, but the Obama administration’s leadership “does not believe they need to protect us.” Attorney General Eric Holder, she said,“has put Christians at a low priority.”

In Connecticut, everyone was happy things were resolved without violence.

“Using death threats to stifle debate is un-American,” Wolfgang said, promising to remain unbowed.“These types of tactics won’t work. The Family Institute of Connecticut will continue its work to strengthen and protect marriage, life and religious freedom.” He thanked local police for protecting his family members and employees.

The Hartford Courant blasted Wolfgang, even as it condemned threats of violence. The paper stated in an unsigned editorial,“Threats of violence don’t produce understanding. And it is a hypocrisy when those who plead for tolerance are themselves intolerant.”

Sarno plead guilty to two counts of mailing threatening material. He could receive up to 10 years in prison and a maximum of $500,000 in fines. U.S. District Judge Ellen Bree Burns set the sentencing hearing for next January 3 in New Haven..

Joe Balls

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#12752 Jan 7, 2013
Ok, so what was the sentence? It's past January third already?

Uve

Location hidden

#12753 Jan 8, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>When I say they use insults, I mean people who call their political opponents 'bigots' and 'homophobes'. I condemn all insult based arguments, even those by protectors of marriage.
Could care less, but it must hurt to be called those things though or it wouldn't be an issue.

Uve

Location hidden

#12754 Jan 8, 2013
Samatha wrote:
Guilty: Homosexual activist admits sending death threats to pro-life, pro-marriage leader
Yea, it's on both sides. I could see you, Luke and Brenda being crazy enough to threaten someone too. Your hatred already has you on a gay Topix thread 24/7, spreading bigotry, misinformation and hate speech.

AOL

#12756 Jan 8, 2013
Uve wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, it's on both sides. I could see you, Luke and Brenda being crazy enough to threaten someone too. Your hatred already has you on a gay Topix thread 24/7, spreading bigotry, misinformation and hate speech.
And they act surprised when those they are harming through denial of legal equality, stigmatization, and demonization fight back against being harmed.

While I don't support violence or even threats of violence, anyone who has read these threads should know we are exposed to those who wish us harm including death every day.

AOL

#12757 Jan 8, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>The irony is assuming calling two gay men 'married' would promote monogamy in marriage. I believe it would harm both marriage and homosexuals.
<quoted text>You don't have to be married to have an exclusive sexual relationship. The irony is many supporters of same sex marriage object to teaching celibacy to control sexually transmitted diseases.
<quoted text>Biology explains the low STD rate for gay women, not homosexuality. I oppose demonizing anyone; especially those who support protecting the male/female institution of marriage.
And yet irrational fear of the unknown is all you have to support your belief.

Meanwhile, years of research has shown marriage has a stabilizing effect on relationships.

You fail to show how not allowing gay people to participate under the laws currently in effect "protects" opposite sex marriage. This is another meaningless bumper sticker slogan. The prop 8 supporters had nothing but animus and unfounded fear to support their discrimination, and even admitted America would be more American the day we accept marriage equality, and that marriage equality does not harm heterosexual marriage, while exclusion from marriage harms gay people and their children. And that was from the supporters of prop h8.

The Court: "I'm asking you to tell me how it would harm opposite sex marriages."

Mr. Cooper: "Your Honor, my answer is: I don't know. I don't know."

(p. 24, Motion for Summary Judgement)

AOL

#12758 Jan 8, 2013
“Gay marriage would be a victory for the worthy ideas of tolerance and inclusion. It would likely decrease the number of those in society who tend to be viewed warily as ‘other’ and increase the number who are accepted as part of ‘us.’ In that respect, gay marriage would be a victory for, and another key expansion of, the American idea.” Conservative, anti-marriage equality director of the Institute for American Values David Blankenhorn, one of the few witnesses who testified in support of Prop 8.

Uve

Location hidden

#12759 Jan 8, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
And they act surprised when those they are harming through denial of legal equality, stigmatization, and demonization fight back against being harmed.
While I don't support violence or even threats of violence, anyone who has read these threads should know we are exposed to those who wish us harm including death every day.
Yep, what was it Jesus said? Forgive them for they no not what they do? Something along those lines. Maybe someday people will work together for the common good and bigotry, in any form, will be a thing of the past.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Feds' transgender guidance provokes fierce back... 44 min WasteWater 1,067
goodlooking filipino offering massage in jeddah (Jul '13) 1 hr Mhd 676
News Maroon 5 scrap North Carolina shows 1 hr Retired SOF 24
News Gay marriage victory at Supreme Court triggerin... 1 hr Table Scraps 7
lookin for top jeddah (Jul '10) 2 hr Saw69 2,378
News Christian bigots hammered after releasing hilar... 5 hr Three Psyche 3
News Report: Missy Irvin plans to make it a sex crim... 8 hr Three Psyche 2
The Growing trend of eunuchs/men without balls (Nov '08) 9 hr Bill 189
More from around the web