New California public school reading list includes LGBT-friendly books

Mar 21, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: redlandsdailyfacts.com

The California Department of Education this week released its latest list of recommended reading for K-12 students, including some newly published works that address immigration and sexual identity issues.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

I can see a bunch of wackos right now jotting down the titles so they can rush to see if they are in their local libraries. Torches and pitchforks can't be far behind.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Could they add a book about how to grow up as a redneck degenerate in order to promote ideological diversity?

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

RalphB wrote:
I can see a bunch of wackos right now jotting down the titles so they can rush to see if they are in their local libraries. Torches and pitchforks can't be far behind.
When I was in the Commack School District, at Commack High School South in the early 70's, some of the books that you were required to read in some English classes were BANNED from the schools at other school districts on Long Island.

The Island Trees School District (I think Island Trees was the previous name for present-day "Levittown") book banning case went all the way to SCOTUS, and SCOTUS ruled against the Island Trees School District. And as I remember, these were not books containing any sex at all, nor any gay content, whch at that time and place was absolutely unthinkable.

The SCOTUS case is Board of Education v. Pico, 457 U.S. 853 (1982). SCOTUS concluded that the First Amendment limits the power of local school boards to remove library books from junior high schools and high schools.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was in the Commack School District, at Commack High School South in the early 70's, some of the books that you were required to read in some English classes were BANNED from the schools at other school districts on Long Island.
The Island Trees School District (I think Island Trees was the previous name for present-day "Levittown") book banning case went all the way to SCOTUS, and SCOTUS ruled against the Island Trees School District. And as I remember, these were not books containing any sex at all, nor any gay content, whch at that time and place was absolutely unthinkable.
The SCOTUS case is Board of Education v. Pico, 457 U.S. 853 (1982). SCOTUS concluded that the First Amendment limits the power of local school boards to remove library books from junior high schools and high schools.
The two hardest books to get a hold of in my youth were Catcher In The Rye and Tropic Of Cancer. All that did was make me more determined than ever to read them. I never did understand all the fuss over them.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
The two hardest books to get a hold of in my youth were Catcher In The Rye and Tropic Of Cancer. All that did was make me more determined than ever to read them. I never did understand all the fuss over them.
In NEARLY ALL English classes in my school, Commack South, "Catcher In The Rye" was a book that was REQUIRED READING. Yet at the same time, in the Island Trees School District, that book was SPECIFICALLY BANNED. How does that make any sense ?!

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
In NEARLY ALL English classes in my school, Commack South, "Catcher In The Rye" was a book that was REQUIRED READING. Yet at the same time, in the Island Trees School District, that book was SPECIFICALLY BANNED. How does that make any sense ?!
Frankly, I have never thought that banning any book made sense. It only adds to the allure. Parental supervision and discussion with their children should be enough. But then, most parents seem to be unable and/or unwilling to supervise the reading materials of their children, and discussion of the ones they do read. My father bought me Tropic of Cancer, and read it before I did. Then we talked about it. We also discussed Catcher In The Rye, and all the other books I read. I never realized how enlightened my parents were until I was grown up. I just figured all parents did that.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Frankly, I have never thought that banning any book made sense. It only adds to the allure. Parental supervision and discussion with their children should be enough. But then, most parents seem to be unable and/or unwilling to supervise the reading materials of their children, and discussion of the ones they do read. My father bought me Tropic of Cancer, and read it before I did. Then we talked about it. We also discussed Catcher In The Rye, and all the other books I read. I never realized how enlightened my parents were until I was grown up. I just figured all parents did that.
I agree. But my parents never checked on my reading material, and many parents would have found my reading material (the non-sexual stuff anyways) objectionable.(The sexually explicit material I hid from my parents at that age).

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 22, 2013
 
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. But my parents never checked on my reading material, and many parents would have found my reading material (the non-sexual stuff anyways) objectionable.(The sexually explicit material I hid from my parents at that age).
Are you too young to remember 8 page bibles? Those we kids hid. The rest of my reading material we discussed.

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 22, 2013
 
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you too young to remember 8 page bibles? Those we kids hid. The rest of my reading material we discussed.
You peeked my interest so I googled 8 page bibles....Holy Crap! There is a whole web page on those nasty little things! They were also called Tijuana Bibles. Could you imagine the copyright lawsuits if those were published today. They had everyone from Dagwood, Mae West, to Snow White doing the nasty! Thanks for the interesting little peek into the past and what my grandfather might have been hiding in the barn as a kid! LOL

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 22, 2013
 
NE Jade wrote:
<quoted text>You peeked my interest so I googled 8 page bibles....Holy Crap! There is a whole web page on those nasty little things! They were also called Tijuana Bibles. Could you imagine the copyright lawsuits if those were published today. They had everyone from Dagwood, Mae West, to Snow White doing the nasty! Thanks for the interesting little peek into the past and what my grandfather might have been hiding in the barn as a kid! LOL
Glad I could be of assistance. The 40's and 50's were not so Ozzie & Harriet as people may think.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 22, 2013
 
NE Jade wrote:
<quoted text>You peeked my interest so I googled 8 page bibles....Holy Crap! There is a whole web page on those nasty little things! They were also called Tijuana Bibles. Could you imagine the copyright lawsuits if those were published today. They had everyone from Dagwood, Mae West, to Snow White doing the nasty! Thanks for the interesting little peek into the past and what my grandfather might have been hiding in the barn as a kid! LOL
Bye the Bye, I think I'll go Google them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

21 Users are viewing the Transgender Forum right now

Search the Transgender Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Looking for bottom philipino in Jubail (Jan '13) 45 min Nodi top 170
meet here gays.(. jeddah) (Feb '10) 47 min hot top 12,017
Top in dammam looking for filipino bottom 48 min Nodi top 18
What kind of guys like male to female trannies? (Jul '08) 57 min LSA 149
Pelosi backs gay-rights bill despite concerns 3 hr WasteWater 6
Trans Lobby Day to Bring Awareness to Capitol Hill 4 hr Jumper The wise 8
olderfor me 8 hr hot n sexy top 6
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••