'We Are Atheism': Atheists Launch Campaign To Get Unbelievers To 'Come Out'

Nov 23, 2011 Full story: The Huffington Post 20

The young man in the video pulls in close to his computer camera with the trappings of a typical college dorm room -- a loft bed and the clutter of cast-off clothes -- piled behind him.

Full Story
redneck

Cave Junction, OR

#1 Nov 24, 2011
Atheism has a worse stigma in society than being gay. Gays have come a long way but have a strong community that supports them of non gay people. Atheists have only themselves.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#2 Nov 24, 2011
redneck wrote:
Atheism has a worse stigma in society than being gay. Gays have come a long way but have a strong community that supports them of non gay people. Atheists have only themselves.
Very true.
There is alot of hate out there for anyone that does not think the way they do.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3 Nov 25, 2011
There is nothing I would love more than the freedom to openly say, I do not believe. I am though, a realist and I know that the repercussions could very well cost me more than it was worth. My preteen child and I could not take the chance, not yet.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Wichita. Ks.

#4 Nov 25, 2011
Reason Personified wrote:
There is nothing I would love more than the freedom to openly say, I do not believe. I am though, a realist and I know that the repercussions could very well cost me more than it was worth. My preteen child and I could not take the chance, not yet.
I have a few friends that are atheist. Some of them are very vocal about it.

I work around people that are religious and some that are not but do believe in a god. Even the ones that only think there is a god have a hard time when I state that I do not believe in a god.
It is a shame when someone has to watch what they think when it comes to a fairy tell.

Most (not all) religious have nothing but hate in their hearts when they know you do not believe.
United Gays of America

Alpharetta, GA

#5 Nov 25, 2011
The campaign was forged in Kansas where religious people cast themselves as blooming idiots (Kansas is the home of the God Hates Baptist Church)
If Organized Atheism goes viral; you may be able to jump on the bandwagon soon

Earth,TX

#6 Nov 25, 2011
Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a few friends that are atheist. Some of them are very vocal about it.
I work around people that are religious and some that are not but do believe in a god. Even the ones that only think there is a god have a hard time when I state that I do not believe in a god.
It is a shame when someone has to watch what they think when it comes to a fairy tell.
Most (not all) religious have nothing but hate in their hearts when they know you do not believe.
Where I am, deep in the bible belt, the hatred runs deep. My youngest child is one of those sweet innocents, he loves the woods, the school, he loves his life and he doesn't want to leave it, but it will have to happen. For our safety, we will have to move again.

Earth,TX

#7 Nov 25, 2011
United Gays of America wrote:
<quoted text>
The campaign was forged in Kansas where religious people cast themselves as blooming idiots (Kansas is the home of the God Hates Baptist Church)
If Organized Atheism goes viral; you may be able to jump on the bandwagon soon
I would have to move at least to medium sized city. I am in a rural area, the closet human I even know is 40 miles or more, away. I have one neighbor within a mile, who for many reasons, I can't go near. The nearest town, which I just moved from has 28 churches and only a few thousand people. I have no choice but to stay here another four years.

A few years back, my second from youngest son at age 16, let our community know that he was atheist. He tried to hide the repercussions from me, and he did for awhile. He had adults offered to eff the demons out of him, he was beat up by some of the jocks. Not badly, just a few punches and slaps.

The words they used, were much worse than the battery. He had teachers, our mail lady, friends, neighbors, people he had known his whole life turned on him. He was bullied until he dropped out of school and left that town. He didn't tell me until after he left, he has now moved on. He finished his education, he met and married a beautiful girl and they have a three year old.The first thing he told her was that he was atheist.

I went ballistic on these people, who bullied my son and I too learned that I was not safe, there. I thought this new place with it's peace and quiet would let me, be me. That is not the way it turned out, there have been things happen that would out me, should I repeat them, even here. So unless I can't get out of my obligations here, I wait, at least 4 more years.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Wichita. Ks.

#8 Nov 26, 2011
<quoted text>Where I am, deep in the bible belt, the hatred runs deep. My youngest child is one of those sweet innocents, he loves the woods, the school, he loves his life and he doesn't want to leave it, but it will have to happen. For our safety, we will have to move again.
Oh I understand where you are coming from, I live in Kansas and someone that is an atheist might as well be demons from hell. But there are a few of us and many more every day that are beginning to see the truth or at least question religious beliefs.

Earth,TX

#9 Nov 26, 2011
<quoted text>
Oh I understand where you are coming from, I live in Kansas and someone that is an atheist might as well be demons from hell. But there are a few of us and many more every day that are beginning to see the truth or at least question religious beliefs.
And that is everything, that our numbers grow. That more and more people each day, wake up and begin to see truth, and they don't need us to influence them. Imagine, by simply knowing the doctrine you espouse, you are freed you from it's grasp.

Earth,TX

#10 Nov 26, 2011
Correction to the above post.^^^
Imagine, by simply knowing the doctrine you espouse, you are freed from it's grasp.
SLIF

Toronto, Canada

#11 Nov 26, 2011
Another day of politics,religion,and sex.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Wichita. Ks.

#12 Nov 26, 2011
<quoted text>And that is everything, that our numbers grow. That more and more people each day, wake up and begin to see truth, and they don't need us to influence them. Imagine, by simply knowing the doctrine you espouse, you are freed you from it's grasp.
The thing is I become an atheist not because of other atheist, but because of religion and the bible.
fae

Arnold, MO

#13 Nov 26, 2011
<quoted text>
Very true.
There is alot of hate out there for anyone that does not think the way they do.
Wrong. There lot of hate coming from CHRISTAIN for anyone who DARE to fight for THEIR rights to not have CHRISTAIN from taking over the goverment and turn it into a Christain Nazi Country.

“I am”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#14 Nov 26, 2011
I finally opened up for the first time that I was atheist to my mother. She believes in a God, but does not attend sermons. She told me that "My lack of faith is sad" and that "She knows in the future that I will be shown that there is a God."
That hurt. That hurt me really bad. I don't think I can really ever open up.
My community, my family, and most of my friends are religious. I feel alone. I feel left out.
I must say, though, I find a great deal of comfort simply from these article posts.

Since: Nov 11

United States

#15 Nov 28, 2011
Being Alive wrote:
I finally opened up for the first time that I was atheist to my mother. She believes in a God, but does not attend sermons. She told me that "My lack of faith is sad" and that "She knows in the future that I will be shown that there is a God."
My community, my family, and most of my friends are religious. I feel alone. I feel left out.
I must say, though, I find a great deal of comfort simply from these article posts.
Allah said he sees the way
Buddha said he knows the way
Jesus said I am the way

“My name is Trunks...”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#16 Nov 28, 2011
Being Alive wrote:
You are not alone. I have told my parents that I was an atheist. My mother is really disappointed in me, but my father was already one. Friends I have told before about my atheism have sometimes scorned me, made fun of me, or ignored me altogether. Still others who are religious have not treated me badly.

The kind of area I live in is very religious, so I dare not come out and profess that I do not believe in myth.....The Internet is safer for that reason.

Earth,TX

#17 Nov 28, 2011
<quoted text>The thing is I become an atheist not because of other atheist, but because of religion and the bible.
Me too. The whole bible religion thing was just so wrong, it was so anti-human. I got to thinking why we would act as if we weren't human. The things that make us human, theology makes into sin. I don't think there is another species that tries to escape being themselves. Imagine if a bird, was condemned for being a bird and then that bird, spent it's life trying to rise above that concrete bird reality, it's bird existence, condemning it forever. That is what religion asks of mankind, to leave behind our humanity for it is what we bare condemned for.

Earth,TX

#18 Nov 28, 2011
Correction to the above ^^(are condemned for)

Me too. The whole bible religion thing was just so wrong, it was so anti-human. I got to thinking why we would act as if we weren't human. The things that make us human, theology makes into sin. I don't think there is another species that tries to escape being themselves. Imagine if a bird, was condemned for being a bird and then that bird, spent it's life trying to rise above that concrete bird reality, it's bird existence, condemning it forever. That is what religion asks of mankind, to leave behind our humanity for it is what we are condemned for.
redneck

Cave Junction, OR

#19 Nov 29, 2011
Beauty831 wrote:
<quoted text>
Allah said he sees the way
Buddha said he knows the way
Jesus said I am the way
FSM says 'No way, Jose'.
Jumper

Owensboro, KY

#20 Nov 29, 2011
Correction to the above ^^(are condemned for)
Me too. The whole bible religion thing was just so wrong, it was so anti-human. I got to thinking why we would act as if we weren't human. The things that make us human, theology makes into sin. I don't think there is another species that tries to escape being themselves. Imagine if a bird, was condemned for being a bird and then that bird, spent it's life trying to rise above that concrete bird reality, it's bird existence, condemning it forever. That is what religion asks of mankind, to leave behind our humanity for it is what we are condemned for.
There's a way out sister.
All you need do is ask freely without contempt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ga. Senate OK's religious freedom bill feared b... 8 min Robin Hood 10
Meet Here Gays ( JEDDAH ) (Mar '14) 8 min jaan-11 91
LGBT people in rural areas struggle to find goo... 22 min Christsharian Law 1
dammam/khobar discreet gay 24 min dew 1
LGBT anti-discrimination bill passes Utah test 27 min Christsharian Law 7
Good Top looking for Bottom for tonight in Khob... (May '13) 44 min dew 29
Looking for top or bottom in khobar or dammam (Jul '12) 47 min dew 330
meet here gays.(. jeddah) (Feb '10) 1 hr saud pak 13,447
goodlooking filipino offering massage in jeddah (Jul '13) 17 hr vaqar 448
Massage in Jeddah ASAP (Sep '13) Wed mixjed 287