Uganda: Bishop Calls for Tolerance of...

Uganda: Bishop Calls for Tolerance of Gays, Lesbians

There are 17 comments on the AllAfrica.com story from Nov 16, 2011, titled Uganda: Bishop Calls for Tolerance of Gays, Lesbians. In it, AllAfrica.com reports that:

Bishop Christopher Senyonjo is an advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights at a time when Uganda's Parliament has reopened discussion on a bill which would penalize gays and lesbians with prison sentences and even capital punishment.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at AllAfrica.com.

I wonder

Ryd, Sweden

#1 Nov 17, 2011
Jesus explains He came not to call the JUST , but the SINNERS, so brothers and sisters as we are aproaching LENT, let us all sinners return to God as He is coming to save us. We don't need to hate each other or sentenceanyone for our sins, Let us all join hands in the coming Holy Weeks and pray to each other to winn the Lost hearts.Wishing everyone who reads this to LOVE EACH OTHER, NO MATTER WHAT A SINNER HE OR SHE IS, JESUS IS COMING TO RESCUE....
Gay

Ocala, FL

#2 Nov 17, 2011
Tolerance is needed.
grut

Athens, TN

#3 Nov 17, 2011
Tolerate what?
Tolerate people? Yes, always, by all means.
Tolerate sodomy? No! not at all! Never!
Think of parents who see thier children corrupted by foreigners, to the extent that now Ugandans think that sodomy is okay? It is a sin my friend.
While I think that it is not the job of the govt to legislate morality, I still think it is okay for the parliament to debate the issue and find out what most Ugandans want.
If the majority of Ugandans think that there should be a law against sodomy, then we get the law. At that point then sodomy plus rape becomes a double violation, and if the offender also forcefully infected the victim with AIDS then it's a terrible crime, and if the victim dies as a result then what should be done to the offender? You tell me!
For many years there were no gays in Uganda, people were respected as people. Then came foreign influence from those spoiled and morally bankrupt foreigners and they gave our young people money and drugs to do such shamefull acts! God have mercy, because my patience for such offenders is little!
Dak-original

Southampton, UK

#4 Nov 21, 2011
grut wrote:
Tolerate what?
Tolerate people? Yes, always, by all means.
Tolerate sodomy? No! not at all! Never!
Think of parents who see thier children corrupted by foreigners, to the extent that now Ugandans think that sodomy is okay? It is a sin my friend.
While I think that it is not the job of the govt to legislate morality, I still think it is okay for the parliament to debate the issue and find out what most Ugandans want.
If the majority of Ugandans think that there should be a law against sodomy, then we get the law. At that point then sodomy plus rape becomes a double violation, and if the offender also forcefully infected the victim with AIDS then it's a terrible crime, and if the victim dies as a result then what should be done to the offender? You tell me!
For many years there were no gays in Uganda, people were respected as people. Then came foreign influence from those spoiled and morally bankrupt foreigners and they gave our young people money and drugs to do such shamefull acts! God have mercy, because my patience for such offenders is little!
Grut,
Your fears are that "sodomy" will will be promoted and glamouraised and accepted as thing to do in Uganda. Hoe doyou know thst it is not being pracised behind closed doors both by gays and hetereosexuals?

I do agree that gay and lesbian culture should not be promoted "in the face" kind of manner. However, since #10% of population is gay/lesbian/transgender by nature (born psychological or physical make up, are you saying that these lot should be deprived of thier right to existence? Think!
I wonder

Ryd, Sweden

#5 Nov 21, 2011
Gay and lisbians have no right to practise their sins open infront of our children and hurt them, they can do their evil things behind doors like all other sinners, we do not do our sins open. Remember gay is against Gods face although we can*t hate them as we are all sinners, no body on earth is surposed to be allowed to sin open . Uganda is a country of christians, wait until it becomes a country of sinners then they have right. No body is born agay no one can prove not even the Bishop , Yes he did good to help them but he has to show them its a sin, not to go on telling them its not a sin. God does not make a mistake he ccreated ADAM AND EVE, NOT ADAM ADAM OR EVE, EVE. on sunday we are starting advent why can't we all hold our hands together to pray for our county and the people who are in uganda. so that we can all turn to God. Killing and putting them in prison i do not allow it, the only thing i say let them free but we pray for them the Good Lord will do his work, as he do with all of us sinners.No one is perfect.
Dak-original

Southampton, UK

#6 Nov 21, 2011
I wonder wrote:
Gay and lisbians have no right to practise their sins open infront of our children and hurt them, they can do their evil things behind doors like all other sinners, we do not do our sins open. Remember gay is against Gods face although we can*t hate them as we are all sinners, no body on earth is surposed to be allowed to sin open . Uganda is a country of christians, wait until it becomes a country of sinners then they have right. No body is born agay no one can prove not even the Bishop , Yes he did good to help them but he has to show them its a sin, not to go on telling them its not a sin. God does not make a mistake he ccreated ADAM AND EVE, NOT ADAM ADAM OR EVE, EVE. on sunday we are starting advent why can't we all hold our hands together to pray for our county and the people who are in uganda. so that we can all turn to God. Killing and putting them in prison i do not allow it, the only thing i say let them free but we pray for them the Good Lord will do his work, as he do with all of us sinners.No one is perfect.
You are wrong about "gays" not being born as gays. Most gays are born "gays". it is proven by science. Real GOD planned evolution of specis and no religion is on record of stating tht fact! Gensis (Adam and Eve) has now proved tobe just a story. You have a warped view of sin. Mistreatment of GOd's being is sin.

NB: I am not gay but heterosexual.
grut

Athens, TN

#7 Nov 25, 2011
You and me may have different opinions. Maybe my opinion does not matter very much, and yours too.What matters is God's opinion because of a simple reason: God can and is planning to make serious decisions that will affect your life forever.
Here is what God said:"...Do not be deceived, Neither fornicators, nor adulterers,..no homosexuals, no sodomites,...nor thieves, nor drunkards,... will see the kingdom of God." 1 Cor.6:9-10). Obviously God's word shows us that homosexuality (gay lifestyle) is a behaviour just like fornication, or drunkenness. IT is something some people choose to do, and perhaps they enjoy it just like fornication or heavy drinking!
Obviously I cannot change anyone's behaviour, by the way the president also cannot force people to stop ungodly behaviour like drunkenness, or fornication, etc. Obviously MPs cannot stop people from behaving the way they do. The only person people need to fear is God, because each one of us is going to face God whether you want it or not! Yes, the Bible clearly says, that it is appointed unto man once to die, and then the judgement.
What does it help you if I 'allow' you to enjoy the sin of homosexuality, or fornication etc, when I know that that kind of lifestyle is only setting you on a slippery road to hell?
That is the only reason I care to warn those who are misled or deceived, and do not know that being gay is like boarding a bus heading for hell!
Dear Ugandans, it does not make something (like gay) to be right because white people do it! Fear God, and turn away from evil, then shall you live a good blessed life. Stop defending sin, just flee from it. Warn your friends to run away from sin too! I am saying these truths because I care about you, and I would love to see you in heaven some day! Yes, those gays who die without repenting from it are all screaming in hell ! It is sad!
reagan

Europe

#8 Dec 18, 2011
gays are using poverty of youth to corrupt them with money. this is real exploitation by whites on blacks. please God help us orelse uganda is ruined

“I Support Equality”

Since: Jun 07

Beaverton, OR

#9 Dec 18, 2011
reagan wrote:
gays are using poverty of youth to corrupt them with money. this is real exploitation by whites on blacks. please God help us orelse uganda is ruined
One of the largest problems with this response of yours is that you fail to realize that many of us do not agree with you that homosexuality is a sin. I am always curiuos when I hear the word "homosexuals" in a quote frm the bible. If the bible was written in the times following the death of Jesus, then why is it using a word that was not in use at that time. Once again I think that someone with an agenda has retranslated some passages which in turn make the entire bible questionalable.

If you see homosexuality as a sin and wish to pray for the sinners as you see them, please do so. I see that as a good thing for you to do. However, be aware that many do not agree with you that it is even a sin. I am includeing a great many Christians and their ministers. Please continue to practice your religion as a force of good as you see it, but do not attempt to force your beliefs on others.

“I Support Equality”

Since: Jun 07

Beaverton, OR

#10 Dec 18, 2011
Oops, my bad....I meant this response for the posting by Grut

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#11 Dec 22, 2011
Gay tolerance in Africa??!?!?!?

God Dam we got us a story now folks lol. Thought I'd never see the day!
grut

Athens, TN

#12 Dec 23, 2011
Who decides what is sin and what is not?
Who decides what is wrong and what is right?
Who decides what is acceptable and what is not?
Simple, yet tough questions! I want to hear your honest views. Here are mine:
I do not claim to understand the complete depth of this topic, but I believe it boils down to one word, "authority".
In order for a society to thrive and succeed you need to have authority. Authorities exist whether you and me like them or not, unfortunately we are required to obey authority or else!
The authority that decides what is sin is God. We only know what he said thru the Holy Bible, which we believe is the inerrant Word of God. In the bible are 3 main stages of events: God talking to man before Christ came to earth; God talking to man directly and face to face thru Christ (because Jesus Christ was, and is God); God speaking to man thru the Holy Spirirt who inspired men to write the rest of the Bible teachings after Christ died, was buried, and resurrected and ascended into heaven. Therefore the Holy Bible is a great authority that affects your life and my life.Disobeying the Bible is worse thatn disobeying a police officer! The officer can arrest you or spray pepper in your eyes, but eventually you will come out alive. When God punishes people it could be by throwing them into Hell to suffer for ever, and there is no chance of returning from hell!
Each country has a govt. That is the authority over the people living in that country. The govt makes laws and regulations, thus decides what is right and what is wrong. You do something lawful, it is right. You do something unlawful, it is wrong, and punishable. The law also states what punishment you will get if you break the law.
In my house I am the authority over my family. I decide what is acceptable and what is not. You want to be in my house, you obey my rules and we will live happily together, and I will give you good things and help you succeed and enjoy life. You decide to live in my house and disobey my rules, I will not accept it. Most families work like that. Where I work there is a boss. My manager is my boss. The company has rules and guidelines that I must follow if I want to continue working there. The company is an authority, and has deligated some authority to managers and other people well known to have authority.
Oh! before I forget - Authority remains authority whether you and I like that authority to be there or not! Also authority is good, and is there for your good, to guide your life and protect from those unlawful lawbreakers!
Pgetty: IF you see a person who says that they are christians, or ministers and yet say that 'homosexuality is not sin' that person is either a liar, or does not know what the Holy Bible says on this topic, or this person does not recognize God's authority - Avoid people like that!
South African

South Africa

#14 Nov 24, 2013
All this above is rubbish to my ears, why can't everyone live thier lives? Why do have to worry about my sexuality? My not your! Do knw how to mind your own business? Gays live thier lives and you only decide yours! All Ugandans are anything that has to do with stupidity, they all think the same abt gay ppl,:o i give de hell up,#east africa UN and Europe never aid this Moronic country, a wil neva eva visit Uganda but a will lyk to interview one of the nincompoops.
grut

United States

#15 Nov 25, 2013
Dear South African!
I actually mind my business. I am sure you mind yours too. So, why do I care to speak out?
What if Nelson Mandela decide to mind his own business and not speak out about what he saw to be evil? See what I am saying?
Remember, earlier I stated the fact that homosexuality just like fornication is a sin. The reason I believe that we need to come out strongly against gay lifestyle is that there are big political and social agendas who are trying to promote and force this sinful lifestyle on us in broad daylight!We cannot accept this agenda.
Lastly, I look at gay people as if I am looking at a blind person wlaking forward to the edge of a cliff, unaware of the danger ahead. What do you expect me to do? Look the other way and let the blind person fall off the cliff and perish while I mind my own business? I personally believe that helping anybody avoid danger is part of minding my business!
akua serwaah

San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

#16 Nov 26, 2013
Is circumcision and excision practised in Uganda ?
akua

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#17 Nov 26, 2013
grut wrote:
Dear South African!
I actually mind my business. I am sure you mind yours too. So, why do I care to speak out?
What if Nelson Mandela decide to mind his own business and not speak out about what he saw to be evil? See what I am saying?
I'm not sure if the person you are replying to does, but I do and I find it offensive. Trying to claim the authority of Nelson Mandela for your cause like this. Both absurd and disgusting. Mr Mandela fought against the innate evil of one group's brutal oppression of others and you honestly believe that your effort to oppress the lives of others who just want to be the lesbian or gay person that the Good Lord, in all his wisdom, wanted them to be, is on par with that. You really should be ashamed of yourself.
grut wrote:
Remember, earlier I stated the fact that homosexuality just like fornication is a sin.
Sorry, not a fact, but your choice of beliefs, big difference. God's agreement with your beliefs, entirely up to Him, not you.
grut wrote:
The reason I believe that we need to come out strongly against gay lifestyle is that there are big political and social agendas who are trying to promote and force this sinful lifestyle on us in broad daylight!We cannot accept this agenda.
The agenda that the law treat all human beings with equal dignity and respect? That those kids, who the Good Lord intended to be lesbian or gay in the first place, can be just as lesbian and gay as they were created to be, without judgmental sociopaths making their lives a living hell? Your issues with "homosexuality", between you and your God, they are nobody's problem but your own. They are NOT civil society's concern, the law need not and should not be forced to accept your unfortunate choice of beliefs. The ONLY thing that you need to accept is that while you are praying that those of us not blessed with heterosexuality are hell-bound, we can still be legal equals in the eyes of the law.

continued.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#18 Nov 26, 2013
grut wrote:
Lastly, I look at gay people as if I am looking at a blind person wlaking forward to the edge of a cliff, unaware of the danger ahead. What do you expect me to do? Look the other way and let the blind person fall off the cliff and perish while I mind my own business?
Matthew 7:3-5 (KJV)
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
grut wrote:
I personally believe that helping anybody avoid danger is part of minding my business!
John 8:1-11

8 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.

2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.

3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,

4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former WH staffer is 1st transgender woman to a... 2 min TerriB1 1
News Excited by Trump, gay Republicans struggle with... 4 min Frankie Rizzo 204
I will help you to find the suitable one Jeddah... (Jun '13) 36 min Lulu 83
goodlooking filipino offering massage in jeddah (Jul '13) 44 min jeddah_bottom69 722
I need sexy massage in Jeddah (May '13) 48 min jeddah_bottom69 87
Massage in Jeddah ASAP (Sep '13) 48 min jeddah_bottom69 577
News GOP day one in Cleveland: No unisex bathrooms 1 hr WasteWater 105
More from around the web