Gillibrand Introduces Federal Legislation To Protect Voting Rights

Sep 21, 2012 | Posted by: Sei | Full story: lezgetreal.com

Two LGBT allies, US Senator Kirsten Gillibrand and Representative John Lewis have teamed up to strengthen federal law regarding voting rights.

Comments
21 - 40 of 114 Comments Last updated Sep 25, 2012

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

TucksunJack wrote:
<quoted text>
Read Bush v. Gore where SCOTUS specifically says there is no federal "right to vote".
Here
s a link to the written decsion in Bush V. Gore, where SCOTUS SPECIFICALLY STATES: "The individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote"; Bush v. Gore (00-949) SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES, GEORGE W. BUSH, et al., PETITIONERS v. ALBERT GORE, Jr., et al.
ON WRIT OF CERTIORARI TO THE FLORIDA SUPREME COURT, December 12, 2000, II, B.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/00-949....
If you cannot accept that explicit statement from SCOTUS about there being NO federal constitutional "right to vote", then I suggest you research the matter yourself, and\or consult a qualified legal professional such as a lawyer or a judge.
I assume you are referring to section "B" of that document?

“NOW will ya give me”

Since: Sep 12

some fightin' room ? !

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I assume you are referring to section "B" of that document?
Better yet, simply snailmail a letter to SCOTUS and ask the. All of their clerks are among the best lawyers in the U.S. I'm sure one of them will answer you.

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

This is one of those empty "rights" that Demos are always dreaming up to push their causes. Much of their power comes from illegal voters casting multiple and illegal votes. The various voter ID laws that have been enacted are a threat to this corruption of our democracy. Thank God! It was long overdue. These same people, who are crying about voter suppression would be going absolutely crazy if their easing of voter laws were applied to firearm purchases.
Regards, Terri
TucksunJack wrote:
<quoted text>
Read Bush v. Gore where SCOTUS specifically says there is no federal "right to vote".
Here
s a link to the written decsion in Bush V. Gore, where SCOTUS SPECIFICALLY STATES: "The individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote"; Bush v. Gore (00-949) SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES, GEORGE W. BUSH, et al., PETITIONERS v. ALBERT GORE, Jr., et al.
If you cannot accept that explicit statement from SCOTUS about there being NO federal constitutional "right to vote", then I suggest you research the matter yourself, and\or consult a qualified legal professional such as a lawyer or a judge.
lawyernotneeded

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

TucksunJack wrote:
<quoted text>
Here
the scotus explains the the federal government allows individual states determine how the electoral college is implemented. The individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote for electors for the President of the United States unless and until the state legislature chooses a statewide election as the means to implement its power to appoint members of the electoral college. So your right to vote is constitutionally garaunteed. Just not to vote directly on a federal level. It's a democracy just not a direct one.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

TerryE wrote:
This is one of those empty "rights" that Demos are always dreaming up to push their causes. Much of their power comes from illegal voters casting multiple and illegal votes. The various voter ID laws that have been enacted are a threat to this corruption of our democracy. Thank God! It was long overdue. These same people, who are crying about voter suppression would be going absolutely crazy if their easing of voter laws were applied to firearm purchases.
Regards, Terri
<quoted text>
Just because I love this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“KONA, baby!”

Since: Jul 08

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there is.
Please cite the section of the constitution that gives you the right to vote.

“KONA, baby!”

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet it's right there in the constitution multiple times.
"The right of the citizens of the United States to vote......"
No, it's not. You are merely citing passages that prohibit discrimination in state elections. There is no federal election. Ergo, there is no federal right to vote. All elections are conducted at the state level or lower. You really shouldeducate yourselves before you post again.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

Pappa wrote:
<quoted text>
Please cite the section of the constitution that gives you the right to vote.
The U.S. Constitution doesn't give Rights. It recognizes, guarantees and protects them.

“KONA, baby!”

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
The U.S. Constitution doesn't give Rights. It recognizes, guarantees and protects them.
And the 'right to vote' is not among them.
lawyernotneeded

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

Pappa wrote:
<quoted text>
And the 'right to vote' is not among them.
the 19th amendment! Welcome to the 20th century! Maybe someday you can join us in the 21st!
lawyernotneeded

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

14th Amendment (1868): Regarding apportionment of Representatives.

15th Amendment (1870): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

19th Amendment (1920): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."

23rd Amendment (1961): provides that residents of the District of Columbia can vote for the President and Vice-President.

24th Amendment (1964): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."

26th Amendment (1971): "The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

“KONA, baby!”

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

lawyernotneeded wrote:
<quoted text>the 19th amendment! Welcome to the 20th century! Maybe someday you can join us in the 21st!
No, the 19th amendment only prohibits states from discriminating in their granting of voting rights. It's not that hard of a concept. Here it is again. There are no federal elections, ergo, there is not a federal right to vote. Read it twice if you need to.

“KONA, baby!”

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

lawyernotneeded wrote:
14th Amendment (1868): Regarding apportionment of Representatives.
15th Amendment (1870): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."
19th Amendment (1920): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."
23rd Amendment (1961): provides that residents of the District of Columbia can vote for the President and Vice-President.
24th Amendment (1964): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."
26th Amendment (1971): "The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."
See above.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

WeTheSheeple wrote:
Every citizen should be issued a voter id card along with their national service ID card when they turn 18, contingent on completion of 2 years of either military or civil service.
Glad this wasn't an idea implemented before I was denied entry to the military due to my homosexuality, or I wouldn't have been able to vote for the last 45+ years. Or would there be an exception for that? Considering the political climate back then, I doubt it would ever have been adopted.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

TucksunJack wrote:
<quoted text>
Here
WRONG! Read it again.

Your quote is taken out of context (as usual for you).

The SCOTUS said their is no federal right for individual citizens to vote FOR ELECTORS for the President.

STATES have the constitutional authority to decide how their electors are selected. At one time many/most states had their legislators select the electors; NOT the popular vote.

But the SCOTUS also said IF the states decide to choose their electors for President by popular vote, then that right can't be denied to individual citizens without sufficient constitutional justification.

Again, try to pass a law denying left-handed people from voting. See how quickly the federal court declare that unconstitutional.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

Pappa wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's not. You are merely citing passages that prohibit discrimination in state elections. There is no federal election. Ergo, there is no federal right to vote. All elections are conducted at the state level or lower. You really shouldeducate yourselves before you post again.
There are no federal marriage licenses either, yet there is a federal right to marry.

There are many rights which are guaranteed by the federal constitution but administered by the states- voting, marriage, etc.

If there were no federal right to vote, then the federal Voting Rights Act would be unconstitutional.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Pappa wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the 19th amendment only prohibits states from discriminating in their granting of voting rights. It's not that hard of a concept. Here it is again. There are no federal elections, ergo, there is not a federal right to vote. Read it twice if you need to.
STILL wrong. Elections for the President, House, & Senate ARE federal elections, but they are administered by the states.

We're saying voting is a federally GUARANTEED right. In other words, the federal (i.e. US) constitution guarantees the fundamental right of citizens to vote, but that right is administered by the states, just like many other constitutionally guaranteed rights- i.e. speech, association, religion, assembly, marriage, etc.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad this wasn't an idea implemented before I was denied entry to the military due to my homosexuality, or I wouldn't have been able to vote for the last 45+ years. Or would there be an exception for that? Considering the political climate back then, I doubt it would ever have been adopted.
Obviously not everyone is physically or mentally qualified for military service, which is why I included civil service as well.

“KONA, baby!”

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
STILL wrong. Elections for the President, House, & Senate ARE federal elections, but they are administered by the states.
We're saying voting is a federally GUARANTEED right. In other words, the federal (i.e. US) constitution guarantees the fundamental right of citizens to vote, but that right is administered by the states, just like many other constitutionally guaranteed rights- i.e. speech, association, religion, assembly, marriage, etc.
No, they are not federal elections. States conduct elections to determine their senators, representatives and electoral college votes. States are left to their own discretion as to how elections are administered. The references cited so far only dictate that states can not disciminate in granting voting rights. Elections remain the domain of the states.
I can't help but notice that noone has cited a passage in he constitution that grants a federal right to vote.

“NOW will ya give me”

Since: Sep 12

some fightin' room ? !

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

Pappa wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they are not federal elections. States conduct elections to determine their senators, representatives and electoral college votes. States are left to their own discretion as to how elections are administered. The references cited so far only dictate that states can not disciminate in granting voting rights. Elections remain the domain of the states.
I can't help but notice that noone has cited a passage in he constitution that grants a federal right to vote.
You're not going to convince that dope. He refuses to face the reality that there is no federal right to vote.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

29 Users are viewing the Transgender Forum right now

Search the Transgender Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
meet here gays.(. jeddah) (Feb '10) 37 min Jeddah 12,206
LGBT New Yorkers Should Be Worried 1 hr Homostats 14
Massage in Jeddah ASAP (Sep '13) 3 hr Free 118
Transgender priest preaches at Washington's Nat... 3 hr RevKen 15
where guys and gays hangout in jeddah (Sep '10) 3 hr lucky 1,210
Oklahomans React To Executive Order Protecting ... 5 hr Annaleigh 5
NY agencies collecting more gender data 5 hr Marcavage s Emission 15
goodlooking filipino offering massage in jeddah (Jul '13) Thu renz 251
•••