Legislature Says No to "Gay Panic" De...

Legislature Says No to "Gay Panic" Defense

There are 102 comments on the KRON 4 story from Aug 27, 2014, titled Legislature Says No to "Gay Panic" Defense. In it, KRON 4 reports that:

Defendants could not escape murder charges by claiming they panicked when they discovered someone was gay or transgender under a bill headed to Gov. Jerry Brown.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KRON 4.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#42 Aug 28, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
It wouldn't be murder but it could be the result of an assault.
Assault is not what you described in your example, though, is it? Are you now back pedaling after you realized you posted yet another shockingly stupid comment?

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#43 Aug 28, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the warped mind here. I didn't say he set out to kill anyone but you jumped to that conclusion. If you are a woman with a penis you have to make that known right away . At that point the guy could just laugh, shake his head and leave. That would be the end of it. If it goes further and the guy starts developing feelings for this 'girl' and finds out in bed that this person is not the woman he thought she was I would expect him to be outraged. Physical assaults often lead to serious injury or death. It's also very interesting that no one has any sympathy for this guy. He is a victim too.
LOL!!! The GUY is a victim??? Of what?? His own lack of ability to tell a girl from a boy??? And that, in your sick mind, gives him a license to murder someone???

What makes you think the "woman with a penis" didn't assume that the stupid guy she was dating didn't know that she had a penis all along? And she didn't lie to him at all because she assumed he wasn't such an idiot as to not know already? That's a more reasonable assumption than assuming it's okay to murder someone when you find out that you were too stupid to realize she was a guy.

“Common sense prevails.”

Since: Mar 14

3rd rock from the sun.

#44 Aug 28, 2014
eJohn wrote:
It's about personal responsibility for you own actions. If you can't control yourself and feel that lashing out violently is a reasonable way to react to *anything*, especially something that doesn't effect you (like finding out that someone is gay), you're not fit to be out in public with other people, let alone having personal interactions with them.
The whole concept of "gay panic" is ridiculous, anyway. Aw, did the big mean gay guy frighten you?? Were you scared when you found out that he might like you? Aw, that must have been so scary for poor you. I'm sure you had no option but to murder him. He might have wanted to be your friend or something really horrible like that. Poor you.
Ridiculous.
Lol, it reminds me of the fabled "enraged husband" defence, literally a chance to get away with......murder.

“Common sense prevails.”

Since: Mar 14

3rd rock from the sun.

#45 Aug 28, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the warped mind here. I didn't say he set out to kill anyone but you jumped to that conclusion. If you are a woman with a penis you have to make that known right away . At that point the guy could just laugh, shake his head and leave. That would be the end of it. If it goes further and the guy starts developing feelings for this 'girl' and finds out in bed that this person is not the woman he thought she was I would expect him to be outraged. Physical assaults often lead to serious injury or death. It's also very interesting that no one has any sympathy for this guy. He is a victim too.
When a victim decides to become the perpetrator, they're in the wrong. You can ALWAYS walk away. It works the same way with spousal abuse, walk away or call the Police and someone will be walked away.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#46 Aug 29, 2014
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Assault is not what you described in your example, though, is it? Are you now back pedaling after you realized you posted yet another shockingly stupid comment?
Assault is what I described. Murder came to your mind. Reality check for you, sometimes assault results in serious injury or death. The variables are the health of the assaulted and the strength and rage of assaulter.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#47 Aug 29, 2014
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!! The GUY is a victim??? Of what??
Yes he is, lies and deception. You don't mess with people like that.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#48 Aug 29, 2014
DebraE wrote:
<quoted text>
When a victim decides to become the perpetrator, they're in the wrong. You can ALWAYS walk away. It works the same way with spousal abuse, walk away or call the Police and someone will be walked away.
Does spousal abuse happen?
Do people become uncontrollably angry?
Do people lash out when they've been deceived?
If your answer is 'yes' to any of those questions, welcome to reality.

Police are almost always called after the incident has taken place. They aren't very good at preventing them. This is also the reality.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#49 Aug 29, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Police are almost always called after the incident has taken place. They aren't very good at preventing them. This is also the reality.
Tell us, with all your "wisdom", just how would the police prevent violence in those situations? Particularly if they are not called until after the fact.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#50 Aug 29, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Assault is what I described. Murder came to your mind. Reality check for you, sometimes assault results in serious injury or death. The variables are the health of the assaulted and the strength and rage of assaulter.
Yes, an assault resulting in the death of the target pretty much IS murder now, isn't it?

Keep back pedaling, dear. We know what you posted and none of us are surprised at its hostility toward people you're afraid of. We get it.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#51 Aug 29, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes he is, lies and deception. You don't mess with people like that.
So if I lie to you, you have free reign to murder me?? Nice.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#52 Aug 29, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
backpedal, backpedal, backpedal. Give it up, dude. You can't justify murder. You just can... not... do it. Give it up.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#53 Aug 29, 2014
Xstain Mullah Franchisee wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey liar, I discuss issues on topix all the time. I'm discussing issues all the time,....
All I ever see are your personal attacks.

Location hidden

#54 Aug 29, 2014
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!! The GUY is a victim??? Of what?? His own lack of ability to tell a girl from a boy??? And that, in your sick mind, gives him a license to murder someone???
What makes you think the "woman with a penis" didn't assume that the stupid guy she was dating didn't know that she had a penis all along? And she didn't lie to him at all because she assumed he wasn't such an idiot as to not know already? That's a more reasonable assumption than assuming it's okay to murder someone when you find out that you were too stupid to realize she was a guy.
California just passed a law called the Yes Means Yes law which if signed by the Governor would require college students to consent to sex before any sex takes place. With out a formal declaration of agreement to engage in sex, it is rape. How romantic.

Anyway, perhaps on the form one fills out before one engages in sexual activity they could have boxes to check to state what sex you are.

Location hidden

#55 Aug 29, 2014
DebraE wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, it reminds me of the fabled "enraged husband" defence, literally a chance to get away with......murder.
It is Christians in Congress writing these laws that let people get away with murder while peaceful pot smokers get longer sentences.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#56 Aug 29, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell us, with all your "wisdom", just how would the police prevent violence in those situations? Particularly if they are not called until after the fact.
"Police are almost always called after the incident has taken place. They aren't very good at preventing them."
That gave you problems. I'll dumb it down for you.
The police can't prevent violence in those situations.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#57 Aug 29, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, you need to read what you just wrote before you hit the post button. Here's what you originally wrote:
Wondering wrote:
A man meets a woman. Likes her. Dates her. Spends money on her. Relationship is becoming serious. Time to move to the next step. Sex. Takes his lady to bed and discovers a penis. Becomes enraged, he was lied to, taken advantage of, made the fool. He strikes out at this person in his bed, she dies. Has this man no rights?
I repeat for emphasis:
Wondering wrote:
He strikes out at this person in his bed, she dies.
That is the definition of murder. He was not in imminent danger. His life was not threatened. He is as responsible for taking her life as a man who feels he's just been cheated in a card game and kills the other player.

And then you assert that no one has sympathy for the guy. Actually, every single poster allowed that the trans woman had not acted appropriately in your scenario. Everyone agreed that the man had a right to feel shocked and angry. What we don't agree is that sickos like you should be allowed to kill people for their misbehavior without due process of law. Nor do we agree that your proposed punishment fits the crime.

Littleton, NH

#58 Aug 29, 2014
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Assault is still against the law and against rules of civil behavior. Just another area where Wondering doesn't believe civility is necessary for him.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#59 Aug 29, 2014
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, an assault resulting in the death of the target pretty much IS murder now, isn't it?
Keep back pedaling, dear. We know what you posted and none of us are surprised at its hostility toward people you're afraid of. We get it.
The 'target' was the straight guy in my opinion. You are confused. A person that you want nothing to do with because of their differences is not fear. Because you may live in fear, don't assume that everyone else does.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#60 Aug 29, 2014
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
So if I lie to you, you have free reign to murder me?? Nice.
I expect you to be an idiot and you deliver.

Littleton, NH

#61 Aug 29, 2014
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Last time I checked, enraged husbands who murder their wife or her concubine still go to jail.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Theoa s journey: A transgender child at war wit... 5 hr Gremlin 3
News Apology to Canadians persecuted for being gay c... 6 hr Gremlin 9
News 10 African Americans named Rhodes scholars, mos... 6 hr CodeTalker 64
News Some firsts among 32 US students picked as Rhod... Mon TerriB1 5
News Gay pride fills Buenos Aires streets Mon Rainbow Kid 5
News Transgender teacher discussion open to parents ... (Aug '06) Sun C Kersey 18
News College Fraternity to Accept Transgender Members (May '06) Sun C Kersey 3
More from around the web