2013: LGBT's Biggest Year So far

2013: LGBT's Biggest Year So far

There are 17 comments on the EDGE story from Oct 8, 2013, titled 2013: LGBT's Biggest Year So far. In it, EDGE reports that:

As years go, 2013's destiny is to be remembered as an LGBT-history heavyweight - even more so than 2012, the year when the five branches of the U.S. military began allowing lesbian, gay and bisexual Americans to serve openly for the first time in their history.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

#1 Oct 9, 2013
May 2014 be even better!
Norton

Netherlands

#2 Oct 9, 2013
Wolfgang E B wrote:
May 2014 be even better!
It will be for countries like Russia!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#3 Oct 9, 2013
I think 2016 will be THE year of equality.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#4 Oct 9, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
I think 2016 will be THE year of equality.
2008 was the end of the beginning.

We've been playing out the middle game.

2013 is the beginning of the end. But I think it will take more than three years.
Gremlin

Louisville, KY

#5 Oct 9, 2013
The fun part is watching the bigots be big crybabies about gays gaining thier civil rights. LOL!

Tawas City, Michigan

#6 Oct 9, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
2008 was the end of the beginning.
We've been playing out the middle game.
2013 is the beginning of the end. But I think it will take more than three years.
It all depends on the SCOTUS and how eager they are to take the next case.

The cases are there and are far enough along in the process-especially in the 9th circuit- to make it to the SCOTUS by 2016. I think the key will be having TWO different circuit appeals courts come to two different rulings on the federal right to marry. That will essentially force the SCOTUS takes the cases and decides it one way or the other. The 6th Circuit (Michigan or Ohio cases) will likely be the opposing ruling.

The big question is what happens when the 9th circuit likely rules a right to marry in early 2014.
-Does the SCOTUS refuse to take the case and just allow the west coast states to "go gay marriage"?
-Does Scalia think he's got 5 votes to overturn that ruling?
-Do the liberal justices think they have the 5 votes to uphold it?

My concern is this is moving too fast in some places, but not fast enough in others. It's a delicate dance to get the legislative & ballot victories in place while also getting the federal court cases moving along, without one cancelling out the other (Hawaii, Illinois, etc).

Either way, I NEVER thought I'd be worried about TOO MANY victories!

Tawas City, Michigan

#7 Oct 9, 2013
A National LGBT Museum in DC?

Hmmm, that's gonna be trouble.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#8 Oct 9, 2013
Norton wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be for countries like Russia!
Morning, lying LITTLE coward. Up and lying so early in THE NETHERLANDS, the most liberal country on earth? If you are going to lie about your homeland, at least make it BELIEVABLE.

You're just blue for you see your prejudice becoming last century and history and society leaving you and your strange hates in the dust.

I've seen more changes this year than in the entire 30 before it. Things like gay marriage aren't even big news anymore.

I hope your Cheerios aren't too salty from your tears of frustration this morning.

Palm Springs, California

#9 Oct 9, 2013
Gremlin wrote:
The fun part is watching the bigots be big crybabies about gays gaining thier civil rights. LOL!
Oh, honey, they're in danger of dehydration due to the amount of tears they've shed since about June.
Gremlin

Louisville, KY

#10 Oct 9, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, honey, they're in danger of dehydration due to the amount of tears they've shed since about June.
They've doubled the Kleenex sales singlehandedly.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#11 Oct 9, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
A National LGBT Museum in DC?
Hmmm, that's gonna be trouble.
Even Israel now has a museum honoring the gays who died in the Holocaust. It's going to be fun watching the Religious Reich hyperventilating....

Palm Springs, California

#12 Oct 9, 2013
Gremlin wrote:
<quoted text>They've doubled the Kleenex sales singlehandedly.
Nahh, those mouth breathers just use their sleeve for wiping schnott, so why waste money on Kleenex?

“"The 14th Amendment Works"”

Since: Jul 13

Livermore California

#14 Oct 9, 2013
Solly wrote:
I don't have anything against queers gaining their civil rights but why must they destroy everything good and wholesome in the world along with it?
Sorry,gotta call B.S. on this post! Do tell,exactly what has the gay rights movement destroyed? We are anxiously awaiting your reply! LoL
Klaus

Anonymous Proxy

#15 Oct 9, 2013
-Bill Of Rights- wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry,gotta call B.S. on this post! Do tell,exactly what has the gay rights movement destroyed? We are anxiously awaiting your reply! LoL
Hey [email protected] I dare you to post your address and phone number. I'd like to come pay you a visit. That is if you're not too much of a little chicken sh!t sissy. LOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL OLOLOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

BAWK BAWK BAWK BAWK! CHICKEN SH!T $# BILL [email protected]!!!!
Carlos

Kansas City, MO

#16 Oct 9, 2013
Klaus wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey [email protected] I dare you to post your address and phone number. I'd like to come pay you a visit. That is if you're not too much of a little chicken sh!t sissy. LOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL OLOLOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
BAWK BAWK BAWK BAWK! CHICKEN SH!T $# BILL [email protected]!!!!
$3 Bill is too scared to ever give you his address. That sissy knows you'd come pound his face into pulp.
Carlos

Kansas City, MO

#17 Oct 9, 2013
Hey Bill how many times did your queer cousin do you up the butt last night?

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#18 Oct 10, 2013
Solly wrote:
I don't have anything against queers gaining their civil rights but why must they destroy everything good and wholesome in the world along with it?
'..good and wholesome..'
I think you're safe!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Arlington Receives "All-Star" Rating for LGBTQ ... 1 hr Luke Warm Water 15
News Kentucky Baptists issue threat regarding hiring... 7 hr white n blue 7
News Roy Moore at campaign rally: 'We don't need tra... 8 hr Marcavage s Trick 151
looking syrian bottom in jeddah (Jan '16) 11 hr Lolo1234 12
News CDC banned from using words like fetus, transge... 13 hr Sick in Louisiana 3
News Regional queer youth call for more understandin... Fri Tre H 12
News Manchester Police Create LGBTQ Liaison Fri Hell Hound 10
where guys and gays hangout in jeddah (Sep '10) Thu aboa 2,332
More from around the web