Indian country torn over gay marriage

May 9, 2013 Full story: Sunherald.com 29

She figured she'd never have a legal spouse to help with the backbreaking work. Then Purser, a member of Washington state's Suquamish Tribe who knew she was gay at age 7, decided to act: She led a personal lobbying campaign that ended with her tribal council voting in 2011 to approve same-sex marriage.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

#1 May 9, 2013
"Indian country" ?! What century is this writer living in ?!

Calling Native Americans "Indians" is offensive and perpetuates a mistake someone made centuries ago.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 May 9, 2013
Notice that it is a Mississippi rag that wants to focus on apparent opposition to Marriage Equality while appearing "fair and balanced".

Since: Feb 09

Southern California

#3 May 9, 2013
When I read the headline I thought he was referring to India..really the author should of rephrased it.
Josh

Brooklyn, NY

#4 May 9, 2013
Juanpaul wrote:
When I read the headline I thought he was referring to India..really the author should of rephrased it.
You look like death warmed over.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#6 May 10, 2013
HHAHAHAHAHAAHA wrote:
<quoted text>
------
HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAA!!!!!!
YOU KNOW THAT'S RIGHT,
SATANIC, MENTALLY ILL, FILTHY, SORDID, ABNORMAL, UNNATURAL, DEPRAVED, DEBAUCHED, SICK, TWISTED, WARPED, USELESS DESPERATE,PATHETIC, IGNORANT, LOW IQ, PSYCHOTIC, MONKEY GIBBERISH POOFTER SODOMITE juanpaul
LOOKS LIKE A SATANIC, MENTALLY ILL, FILTHY, SORDID, ABNORMAL, UNNATURAL, DEPRAVED, DEBAUCHED, SICK, TWISTED, WARPED, USELESS DESPERATE,PATHETIC, IGNORANT, LOW IQ, PSYCHOTIC, MONKEY GIBBERISH POOFTER SODOMITE DISEASE!!!!!!
Morning, little LIAR, laughing at your own posts now, psychotic LIAR? I guess it is better when the voice in your head agree with each other, isn't it? You went to a LOT of trouble to SLOBBER over Juanpaul's photo. Let's see YOUR stunning body, may we?

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#7 May 10, 2013
I liked the article. Yes the headline is deceptive IMO but the article contains a lot of good stuff.

"“The debate in Indian country is very similar to the debate in the United States, in that you have strong feelings going both ways,” said Elizabeth Ann Kronk, the director of the Tribal Law and Government Center at the University of Kansas School of Law and a member of the Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Michigan.“What you see in Indian country is this struggle between the historical accepting of the two-spirit individuals versus the relatively new but yet very strong Christian influences.”

Whitener, a member of Washington state’s Squaxin Island Tribe, recalled how his openly gay cousin was elected to his tribe’s council, and his sexuality never came up. He said tribal members had “a much more fluid spirituality” and tended to be more tolerant.

“This is a generalization, but I don’t think that homosexuality among most tribal groups was something that they considered taboo,” Whitener said.“There wasn’t a book that said this was a sin and that guided the entire cultural landscape for tribes.”

and further on:

Most recently, I realized that women in my tribe _ and actually women all over the country and all over the world _ are seen as lesser. And we’re often abused and forced into silence.”

(Echoes of those who want us back in the closet)

One thing I noticed. Not a single Native American claimed this somehow diminishes their struggle for better treatment.
anna

United States

#8 May 10, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
"Indian country" ?! What century is this writer living in ?!
Calling Native Americans "Indians" is offensive and perpetuates a mistake someone made centuries ago.
Depends on who and how..

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/

Indian Country News Indian Country News
The American Indian Radio on Satellite (AIROS) network is a
national distribution system for Native programming to
Tribal communities and to general audiences through Native
American and other public radio stations as well as the
Internet
http://www.tribal-institute.org/lists/news.ht...

NDN News – Daily Headlines in
Indian Country
Your Online Native News Source
http://ndnnews.com/

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#9 May 11, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
"Indian country" ?
Calling Native Americans "Indians" is offensive.
I live in Indian country and Indians call themselves Indians, so take your political correctness and stick it where the sun don't shine.

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#11 May 11, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in Indian country and Indians call themselves Indians, so take your political correctness and stick it where the sun don't shine.
It's NOT "political correctness". It's called "accuracy".

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

#13 May 11, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, when you say it's "offensive" to call Indians, Indians, yet the Indians themselves have no problem being called that, you're trying to be PC, and you come off sounding ridiculous.

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

#14 May 11, 2013
Or if you want to split hairs on the wording, maybe you should examine the meaning of the word "gay" before you people hijacked it to mean something else.

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#15 May 11, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
Or if you want to split hairs on the wording, maybe you should examine the meaning of the word "gay" before you people hijacked it to mean something else.
I don't call myself "gay". I call myself "FABULOUS !:)"

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#18 May 11, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Lord Pete I hope you're sitting down cause we AGREE!

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#19 May 11, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
The Miccosukee Tribe of Indians here in South Florida and many more disagree with you dear.

Look at what's on their webpage.

http://www.miccosukee.com/

I figure if THEY call themselves Indian who am I to argue? I'm not going to insist a person who identifies as HAITIAN identify themselves and their family as "AFRICAN AMERICAN".

BTW, Most of the time when I've met a "Native American" they've told me they are a member of "the Cherokee tribe Of Indians" or some other name.

Oh and if you have a problem with the political correctness of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, get over that too.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#20 May 11, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
No, when you say it's "offensive" to call Indians, Indians, yet the Indians themselves have no problem being called that, you're trying to be PC, and you come off sounding ridiculous.
Hope you're still sitting down! We agree again. Two in a row!

Dang! You might want to get a check up in case you're becoming a liberal like me.

LMAO

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#21 May 11, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
It actually came from the Dutch word "ghey" meaning "a randy sailor".

The spelling got changed as happens many times when English usurps a word from another language.

BTW at one time referring to another man as "musical" was also code for QUEER!

Geez you folks never get bent when you steal a perfectly good word for a bundle of sticks or what is slang for a cigarette in Britain!

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#22 May 11, 2013
HHAHAHAHAHAAHA wrote:
<quoted text>
------
YOU KNOW THAT'S RIGHT,
SATANIC, MENTALLY ILL, FILTHY, SORDID, ABNORMAL, UNNATURAL, DEPRAVED, DEBAUCHED, SICK, TWISTED, WARPED, USELESS DESPERATE,PATHETIC, IGNORANT, LOW IQ, PSYCHOTIC, MONKEY GIBBERISH POOFTER SODOMITE juanpaul
LOOKS LIKE A SATANIC, MENTALLY ILL, FILTHY, SORDID, ABNORMAL, UNNATURAL, DEPRAVED, DEBAUCHED, SICK, TWISTED, WARPED, USELESS DESPERATE,PATHETIC, IGNORANT, LOW IQ, PSYCHOTIC, MONKEY GIBBERISH POOFTER SODOMITE DISEASE!!!!!!
and you and Josh are obsessed with him because?

Heck I think he's cute but I behave myself on here. I don't stalk him on threads the way you do, like some jilted twink lover would.

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#23 May 11, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>It actually came from the Dutch word "ghey" meaning "a randy sailor".
The spelling got changed as happens many times when English usurps a word from another language.
BTW at one time referring to another man as "musical" was also code for QUEER!
Geez you folks never get bent when you steal a perfectly good word for a bundle of sticks or what is slang for a cigarette in Britain!
Nowadays, instead of using the word "homosexual", we just say "Democrats".

:)

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#25 May 11, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Nowadays, instead of using the word "homosexual", we just say "Democrats".
:)
Sorry dear. I'm actually a Barry Goldwater Republican.

BTW, never heard anyone use that before you, but fyi, down here we just call Libertarians "twits".

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#26 May 11, 2013
disgusted american wrote:
<quoted text>
They just think he's disgusting.
speaking from experience?

I usually ignore you but these two sure remind me of a pair of twinks who were in the psych ward with me once.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SF gay pride event celebrates 40th anniversary (Jun '10) 4 min TheAfroHedgehog 93
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 19 min Frankie Rizzo 2,266
Board member opposes teaching definition of gay 54 min Wondering 108
University of California to add a gender-neutra... 57 min Sneaky Pete 20
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 1 hr George 1,628
GLAAD study: Gay depictions increase on TV 1 hr Rainbow Kid 2
GLAAD study: Gay depictions increase on TV 1 hr Douglas 1
lookin for top jeddah (Jul '10) 1 hr sexy_diana995 1,208

Transgender People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE