Majority of Americans now support gay marriage, survey finds

Feb 26, 2014 Full story: Lincoln Daily News 319

Support for gay marriage has surged in the United States in the decade since it first became legal in Massachusetts, with just over half of Americans now supporting the idea, according to a survey released on Wednesday.

Full Story
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Feb 26, 2014
An increase of 20% points in 10 years- from 32% support in 2003 to 53% support today.

In another 10 years support will be at 75%+.

Comparable to the 20% point increase in support for inter-racial marriages from 68% to 87% today.

Also, support for same-sex marriages is lowest in the south and among those over age 65. Ditto for support for inter-racial marriages.

Notice a pattern here?

By the end of the decade this simply won't be an issue anywhere.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Buford

Buffalo, NY

#2 Feb 26, 2014
The majority of Americans have been duped by the persistent barrage from the gay agenda and liberal media into thinking that homosexuality is somehow normal and acceptable.

Those of us that can see and think for ourselves know that homosexuals are, always have been and always will be mentally unstable perverts. America will find out soon enough the damaging effects of allowing this atrocity to happen in our society.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Buford

Buffalo, NY

#3 Feb 26, 2014
And I'm no where near to being 65 years old and in no way religious. I am simply a decent human being with morals and traditional values. I am deeply saddened to see what homosexuals are doing in America today.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
bjc64

United States

#4 Feb 26, 2014
Why do you want to control everything.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#5 Feb 26, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
An increase of 20% points in 10 years- from 32% support in 2003 to 53% support today.
In another 10 years support will be at 75%+.
Comparable to the 20% point increase in support for inter-racial marriages from 68% to 87% today.
Also, support for same-sex marriages is lowest in the south and among those over age 65. Ditto for support for inter-racial marriages.
Notice a pattern here?
By the end of the decade this simply won't be an issue anywhere.
It's bizarre that anyone should have any issue with this.

I did read one thing about the Michigan trial. I personally loved it.

--> "No other group in society has to pass a parental competency test before they're allowed to marry," attorney Carole Stanyar, who represents the couple, said in an opening statement. "We would like this to be the last trial in America where same-sex couples have to defend themselves." <--

Bravo. Hard-drinking, trash-talking scumbags can give birth to a kid and raise it; people one could GUESS are going to be horrifically bad parents can have a child and no one blinks an eye. I have always found it strange that with adoption, the bar is set so high and the requirements are so stringent, while N-O-N-E exist for natural childbirth, literally NONE.

In one case, ZERO requirements; in the other, a plethora of requirements.

I applaud Stanyar's statement and it gives me confidence that she is slamming the living daylights out of these antigay people in a court of law, where it *COUNTS* and where the vomit that comes from trolls *has no place* and where only *FACT* prevails.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Larry

Mesquite, TX

#6 Feb 26, 2014
Buford wrote:
The majority of Americans have been duped by the persistent barrage from the gay agenda and liberal media into thinking that homosexuality is somehow normal and acceptable.
Those of us that can see and think for ourselves know that homosexuals are, always have been and always will be mentally unstable perverts. America will find out soon enough the damaging effects of allowing this atrocity to happen in our society.
You are totally a SUPPER IDOT! And you posting that on the gay friendly sight shows that you must have issues. I truly want you to know that you can come out and I will accept you with loving arms. And the biggest damage to America is cave people like you.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Victor

Palo Alto, CA

#7 Feb 26, 2014
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>
You are totally a SUPPER IDOT! And you posting that on the gay friendly sight shows that you must have issues. I truly want you to know that you can come out and I will accept you with loving arms. And the biggest damage to America is cave people like you.
What's a supper idot? Must be some gay term.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“ reality, what a concept”

this one

#8 Feb 26, 2014
Buford wrote:
And I'm no where near to being 65 years old and in no way religious. I am simply a decent human being with morals and traditional values. I am deeply saddened to see what homosexuals are doing in America today.
I'm deeply saddened by seeing what intolerant folk like you are doing in America today. Your choice of bigotries are your problems, we would appreciate it if you didn't insist on making your bigotries our problem.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 Feb 26, 2014
Buford wrote:
No, the majority of Americans have been convinced by their gay & lesbian family, friends, co-workers, & neighbors that they deserve equal treatment & respect.

How sad that you view your gay & lesbian family, co-workers, & neighbors (obviously you have no gay or lesbian friends) as "mentally unstable perverts".

I'm sure you thought the sky would fall when inter-racial couples could marry too.

You're in the minority now, Chicken Little.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#10 Feb 26, 2014
Victor wrote:
<quoted text>
What's a supper idot? Must be some gay term.
Just look into a mirror and you'll see one ..

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tawas City, Michigan

#11 Feb 26, 2014
Buford wrote:
Just what are your homosexual family members, co-workers, & neighbors doing in America which saddens you so?

Getting married to the person they love and living a happy healthy productive life in spite of your obvious bigotry?

Oh how horrible for you....

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Victor

Palo Alto, CA

#12 Feb 26, 2014
I believe that the majority of Americans do not truly support gay marriage in their hearts. The thing is that America has become so sickeningly PC that most people are afraid to speak their true feelings in public. They just sheepishly follow along and agree with whatever they're "supposed" to.

God forbid someone actually speaks up and says "you know what, no I don't believe in gay marriage". Suddenly that person is labelled a bigot and a homophobe and most likely will be fired from their job.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tawas City, Michigan

#13 Feb 26, 2014
hi hi wrote:
<quoted text>
It's bizarre that anyone should have any issue with this.
I did read one thing about the Michigan trial. I personally loved it.
--> "No other group in society has to pass a parental competency test before they're allowed to marry," attorney Carole Stanyar, who represents the couple, said in an opening statement. "We would like this to be the last trial in America where same-sex couples have to defend themselves." <--
Bravo. Hard-drinking, trash-talking scumbags can give birth to a kid and raise it; people one could GUESS are going to be horrifically bad parents can have a child and no one blinks an eye. I have always found it strange that with adoption, the bar is set so high and the requirements are so stringent, while N-O-N-E exist for natural childbirth, literally NONE.
In one case, ZERO requirements; in the other, a plethora of requirements.
I applaud Stanyar's statement and it gives me confidence that she is slamming the living daylights out of these antigay people in a court of law, where it *COUNTS* and where the vomit that comes from trolls *has no place* and where only *FACT* prevails.
Which is why I've always supported requiring ANYONE who wishes to become a parent have to go through the same screening process as a prospective adoptive parent.

It's not like we need every moron spitting out kids left and right to populate the planet.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tawas City, Michigan

#14 Feb 26, 2014
Victor wrote:
I believe that the majority of Americans do not truly support gay marriage in their hearts. The thing is that America has become so sickeningly PC that most people are afraid to speak their true feelings in public. They just sheepishly follow along and agree with whatever they're "supposed" to.
God forbid someone actually speaks up and says "you know what, no I don't believe in gay marriage". Suddenly that person is labelled a bigot and a homophobe and most likely will be fired from their job.
So you're saying the majority of Americans don't have the courage of their convictions?

Why wouldn't you think they'd be proud to be a bigot and a homophobe?

Why are bigots & homophobes such cowards?

Why don't the anti-gays in Arizona and other states where it is completely legal to do so put signs in their storefront windows proudly proclaiming "No Gays Allowed"?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#15 Feb 26, 2014
I read today that bigots usually live two years and a half less than gays ( " Does Homophobia Shorten Your Life Span ? " , Pacific Standard Newsletter , 02/ 25/).. so there's still hope for the world .

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tawas City, Michigan

#16 Feb 26, 2014
The biggest change in the survey was the percentage of people reporting they personally knew someone who was gay or lesbian- from just 23% in 2003 to 73% today.

THAT is the biggest reason opinions have changed.

It's a lot harder to support discrimination when it's your family members or friends or co-workers or neighbors who are the target.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#17 Feb 26, 2014
Buford wrote:
" Methinks the lady doth protest too much .." - William Shakespeare

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#18 Feb 26, 2014
Victor wrote:
I actually don't disbelieve any of this, necessarily; I don't think it's necessarily incorrect. When people "attack" a viewpoint like yours, I think they're going about it the wrong way.

I hear what you say but still don't accept the antigay prejudice because it's *not logical and not grounded in something sensible and factual*.

It's not that people may or may not be supporting it, deep down; it's that it's laughable to say anyone has FOUND THE REASONS that it should not be supported. If anyone lied about you personally, you'd be outraged if anything should come of it; no doubt you'd fight it.

Uh, that's what the pro-gay are doing.

What's being said about gay people and the pro-gay is *mendacious* and *unfounded*, that's all. It really is that simple.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Fundies R Mentally ill

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Feb 26, 2014
Victor wrote:
I believe that the majority of Americans do not truly support gay marriage in their hearts.
You homophobic freeks invariably "believe" the earth is under 10000 years old or other similarly nutty things.

Even if the poll is not even approximately correct - though it is correct - the astonishing trends towards glbt acceptance are irrefutable.

You worthless bigot.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Fundies R Mentally ill

Philadelphia, PA

#20 Feb 26, 2014
Buford wrote:
You're a moronic bigot, because the claim was about who homophobes as a group tend to be, not whether you as an individual claim to not be the typical older, undereducated, uber "religious" bigot.

I know that's too difficult for you homophobic filth to follow, because you don't know what
"statistics" means.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 15 min Pro Ukraine 2,723
Looking A Girl/Women for Friendship and more...... 54 min ahmad143 4
where guys and gays hangout in jeddah (Sep '10) 1 hr big Tool 1,490
lookin for top jeddah (Jul '10) 1 hr Handsome gay 1,302
Judge resigns so he won't have to marry gay cou... 1 hr NorCal Native 649
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 3 hr Fa-Foxy 3,821
In The Hospital, There's No Such Thing As A Les... 4 hr Chance 15

Transgender People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE